• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Kingpen

Phthisis said:
My 360 finally gave up the ghost tonight. Manufactured in June of 06. I had Lost Planet in there last night, and suddenly it sounded like it started to scratch the disc during a multiplayer match. What do you know, I take it out today and it's got small circular scratches in it. Not enough to ruin the game, but still. Anyway, popped it back in, and I'm playing single player and suddenly it's graphical artifacts everywhere. GPU must have come unstuck from the board.

Was a good 15 months. Will be sending it in sometime this week.

Man... you gotta get that Best Buy in store warranty for 40 bucks extra (You would be back up and running by tomorrow night). I have used it 5 times so far because I have got 5 RRODs on 5 different systems. Anyways... bummer bout your ring. Gotta say welcome to the club though as unfortunately it has happened to us all it seems. I hope your lucky and get a falcon unit back if they don't repair yours.

Phthisis

Kingpen said:
Man... you gotta get that Best Buy in store warranty for 40 bucks extra (You would be back up and running by tomorrow night). I have used it 5 times so far because I have got 5 RRODs on 5 different systems. Anyways... bummer bout your ring. Gotta say welcome to the club though as unfortunately it has happened to us all it seems. I hope your lucky and get a falcon unit back if they don't repair yours.

Well I bought it in 06 before I really knew about the failure stuff. My fault for not doing research, but I wasn't exactly surprised. I knew it was going to happen eventually.

mug

Just received mine back today, took 3 weeks which was quicker than the last time. Same exact unit, so it was "repaired" instead of replaced.

Surfheart

I wish the PS3 had better online, better multiplatform and better exclusives because I would drop the 360 in a heartbeat. I'm so over the problems with it and not just the 360 itself. I've been through so many faulty accessories it's not funny.

Sent mine in and got a refurb back in summer 2006. Now the refurb unit won't read discs and because its not a RROD there's no extended protection. Called Xbox support last night (which still sucks) and they had me clear my HDD cache. Didn't sound like an issue that would cause it to stop reading discs but it seemed to work - with the HDD removed. Once the HDD was back, its stopped reading discs again. Sounds like the $99 repair trip is my cheapest option at this point...

jmdajr

mug said:
Just received mine back today, took 3 weeks which was quicker than the last time. Same exact unit, so it was "repaired" instead of replaced.

Do the repaired units have a new motherboard?
Like I had said, I got the same console back, but the network recognized it as a new machine.
there has to be new parts inside. right?

edit: anybody?

TomServo

How often do 360s simply freeze up? Is it anything to worry about?

My Falcon froze this morning after a couple of hours of Assassin's Creed. No warning, just a hard lock. Turned it off and turned it back on with no problem.

I hate being so paranoid because of all the other problems. My Wii has locked up a handful of times, sometimes takes forever to load channels, loses audio sync, etc but I don't worry about it. My DS Lite has locked up a handful of times (once right before the final boss in FFIII grrrr). Don't worry about it either. I get one lockup on my 360 and I'm scared.

pr0cs

TomServo said:
My Falcon froze this morning after a couple of hours of Assassin's Creed. No warning, just a hard lock. Turned it off and turned it back on with no problem.
it's par for the course in Assassin's Creed. I had a number of crashes and hard-locks in the game.

ok im officially not happy

history: bought a launch premium 360, it has always had plenty of space and the brick has plenty of space and is on a hard flat surface

rrod 1: launch unit died in late june of last year, due to a shipping issue i didnt get my coffin until mid july

while waiting for my replacement console i bought a core for bioshock,

rrod 2: when my premium is returned to me it freezes up within 5 minutes of playing, with or without the hard drive, i get the rrod a few times but powering it off fixes, ship back anyway

at this point im relying on my trusty core, i get the premium back but its shipped to my ex fiancee's house and i dont actually get it until jan, even then ive been using the core

rrod 3: a week ago my core dies, and i hook up the premium...get the coffin a few days ago

rrod 4?: the premium that they "fixed" is freezing within 5 minutes of playing, with or without the hard drive, nob rrod yet, but its under warranty so i called, now they are sending me yet another coffin

so i will now have 2 units in repair for 4 to 6 weeks....yeah great customer service

jmdajr

TomServo said:
How often do 360s simply freeze up? Is it anything to worry about?

I hate being so paranoid because of all the other problems. My Wii has locked up a handful of times, sometimes takes forever to load channels, loses audio sync, etc but I don't worry about it. My DS Lite has locked up a handful of times (once right before the final boss in FFIII grrrr). Don't worry about it either. I get one lockup on my 360 and I'm scared.

dont worry it WILL die one day.

TomServo

pr0cs said:
it's par for the course in Assassin's Creed. I had a number of crashes and hard-locks in the game.

So it's UbiSoft then? That I can live with.

jmdajr said:
dont worry it WILL die one day.

I hope just does it in the next two years (Best Buy PRP). Next Thanksgiving would be perfect, $350 will probably buy a Jasper Elite by then.

jmdajr said:
Do the repaired units have a new motherboard?
Like I had said, I got the same console back, but the network recognized it as a new machine.
there has to be new parts inside. right?

edit: anybody?
The repaired units get whatever they need to be repaired... new drive, motherboard etc. If it has a new MAC address then it's likely it got a new motherboard.

pr0cs

TomServo said:
So it's UbiSoft then? That I can live with.
in my experience anyway.. I finished the game but had it crash the box a few times. of course in the most opportune point (ie: before saving)

jmdajr

Psychotext said:
The repaired units get whatever they need to be repaired... new drive, motherboard etc. If it has a new MAC address then it's likely it got a new motherboard.

thats what I figured. thanks for the input kind sir.

called about my DRE issue. CS swears it was actually repaired the last time i sent it in (early january). do i believe them? well considering it's doing the exact same thing it's kinda hard to believe.

then again this IS the 360 we're talkin' about here so i shouldn't be so skeptical.

i have set up yet another repair (console #4 goin' in!). the not so wonderful dedicated CSR handling my case asked for me to get proof of delivery along with with the receipt when i take the coffin to the shipping center.

0_o? how does one get proof of delivery when they are dropping a package off to be delivered? and also shouldn't that be msft concern? once i get the receipt that proves i handed it off to fedex i should be fucking covered.

from what i could understand of what the dude was saying he told me not to write anything other than my reference # on the box and on a piece of paper taped to the console. otherwise if i write anything else, it has a high chance of being stolen. after all these crazy new instructions i've been given i'm pretty fuckin' paranoid about sending my system in.

Vinci

Danish
WickedLaharl said:
called about my DRE issue. CS swears it was actually repaired the last time i sent it in (early january). do i believe them? well considering it's doing the exact same thing it's kinda hard to believe.

After waiting nearly three months to get my system back - yes, three months, I shit you not - it was suffering from the exact same problem it had when I sent it in. Nothing had been changed. I've since sent it back in, but yeah, to say this has soured me on the machine would be a huge understatement.

If it comes back in the same condition again, I'm selling it to someone and letting them deal with the fiasco this has become.

Tron999

Mine finally broke. It was manuf. 10-28-2005, and I bought it in 4/2006. Got the RROD a week or so ago trying to play Ao2. I sent it out in its coffin today. Only ground shipping? FU MS!

Kiyamon

As long as its free, I dont care if its ground shipping it really only takes around 3 days.

So I finally got my xbox back today, they fixed it so I am glad they did not give a refurbished one. It took exactly two weeks from when it broke to when I got it back, which I think was relatively fast.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm wondering if my 360 is on the way out. It has frozen 5 times since I bought it (once during Rock Band, once during Poker Smash, twice during Bioshock and once during Pacman C.E.) Also today, when I pressed the eject disc button, it made a beeping noise. Also, I will some times get DREs while playing Rock Band even though my disc is in nearly perfect condition. It is a falcon with a manufacturing date of November 13, 2007. I was wondering if I should try to return it to Wal-Mart before my 90 day warranty expires or just keep on playing and hope it doesn't die.

Also, if I were to return it, what is the procedure for getting my DLC back? I know I would have to deal with having to be signed into Xbox live to play my stuff, but do I just recover my gamer tag or something? Thanks.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Ugh, two hard freezes on my refurb in as many days. This hardware is a joke. Hopefully this refurb lasts me until June, so I can play out the last months of my Live subscription and get through GTA4. After that, I'll happily trade it in for the PS3/Metal Gear bundle and never look back.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Does anyone know what the trade in value is on a premium at EB? A core as well? I'm considering trading it in / selling my refurb and getting one of the newer models which wont die on me.

It seems that my 360 Elite keeps freezing while playing DVD's or Games or saying disk read error, but when I take the Hard drive out it works perfectly. I've tried the maintenance "X, X Left Button, Right button X, X" thingy but still the same issue. Now this all started when I put Capcom verses SNK 2 into the machine when it tried to update, but said the game isn't compatible, so I'm assuming something has been corrupted somewhere. Question is how do I fix this without formatting my hard drive, heck is it even possible?

If I have to format I'm just going to trade in for a PS3 since I've gone and lost my XBOX Live account number.....Actually that should now be tied into my username right?

Nevermind, the drive is broke.

Utter waste of money.

My 360 just returned from repairs yesterday. Been playing Forza 2 and Bioshock all day, works flawlessley. Even the fan and disc read noises seem to have been improved.

Since I live in Turkey I had to send it in repairs at a third party console repair shop. Apparenty they imported some kind of machine that can re-solder the GPUs in place and claim this is exactly what MS does for refurbished consoles. (I saw the machine, yes it looks pretty damn high-tech and expensive..) Actually they claimed to have 'replaced' the GPU with a new one but I sincerely doubt they can actually get their hands on a batch of OEM Xenon chips from anywhere. Anyway, they claim they do the solder better than MS because their solders do not bend like MS's ones, and give you a one year warranty for the repaired consoles. It cost me around 90$.

Mine is manuf dated 2006-04-18. I asked them if I would experience the same things with a Falcon arcade pack and they nodded saying, it happens to every single unit we sell, sooner or later.

Crazy huh? I don't know. Whatever they did, it works 100%.

cedric69

I wonder how they can be confident of avoiding a class action suit if they keep on substituting RRODed machines with refurbs that later RROD themselves.

Extending the warranty is fine and dandy but if you substitute a piece of crap with another piece of crap... what's the point?

Reilly

cedric69 said:
Extending the warranty is fine and dandy but if you substitute a piece of crap with another piece of crap... what's the point?
Have you read the entire thread? People voluntarily go out and buy a second or third 360 because they don't want to deal with sending in for repairs and possibly getting a junky refurb. I bet you the RROD has actually sold Microsoft more systems because most people are just too impatient or don't give a shit.

cedric69

Reilly said:
Have you read the entire thread? People voluntarily go out and buy a second or third 360 because they don't want to deal with sending in for repairs and possibly getting a junky refurb. I bet you the RROD has actually sold Microsoft more systems because most people are just too impatient or don't give a shit.
I don't buy this. These events are sporadic at best. Only the hardest of the hardcore gamers would think doing something like that (and yes, GAF is definitely a place where you get to meet them).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
*sigh* never though I'd be posting in this thread... My 360 Two-ringed the other day, just a month short of it's first birthday. 2006 - 11 - 17 manufacture date. Luckily it's still under warranty from MS so they're replacing it for free which has turned my black mood a bit sunnier. Hopefully I'll get it back in time for GTA4!

Mass Effect's citadel is what killed her. Should never have gone back for that second playthrough...

My Premium went RROD this morning, after 14 months of good service. It didn't show any signs or hint that it'd do so whilst I played Halo 3 last night.
Just waiting on them to send me a label to ship it to the repair centre...baaaaaah. Will report back when it comes back fixed (hopefully).

edit - oh and it was manufactured April 1st 2006

Stocka

I've had my 360 since December 2005 and it finally got three red rings just now whilst playing Lost Odyssey. I'm majorly pissed off but considering how long i've had it i've been somewhat lucky to have had no red rings for so long. Now.. i'm oblivious to the process of what I do next. (I live in UK btw).

Stocka said:
I've had my 360 since December 2005 and it finally got three red rings just now whilst playing Lost Odyssey. I'm majorly pissed off but considering how long i've had it i've been somewhat lucky to have had no red rings for so long. Now.. i'm oblivious to the process of what I do next. (I live in UK btw).
Call them or use the website to request a return label.

Their site didn't seem to work for me when i tried it earlier this afternoon, (uk-gaffer here)..
Phone the 0800 number on the site and they'll talk you through stuff..

Mine croaked on Friday night, started freezing up in game and then wouldn't even load the splash screen without freezing. Now it will freeze within the first 5 mins of loading a game. I was playing COD4 online at the time of death.

Luckily I have the extended warranty through MS, or I would be SOL at this point. I bought it new about a year and a half ago, but managed to get a launch unit (10-29-05 manuf. date) somehow. Despite this, it had worked flawlessly up until it failed. I filed online Friday night (11pm EST) for a coffin and by Saturday had received a confirmation email with a tracking number.

Question though- has anyone in this thread had their console repaired under the MS extended warranty? I'm talking about paying the $60 to get the additional coverage. The contract said something about covering hardware changes as well as repairs (whatever that means...). Did you get a new machine back, or just a repaired unit?

EDIT: Xbox.com says: "A replacement with the latest features, in the unlikely event your Xbox console or controller can't be fixed." Fingers crossed this puppy is totally unfixable.

tegdf

mine got the 3 RROD today, wouldn't read any discs at all and would freeze. Called and have a box coming

Its a launch console that has been repaired once. I have the extended warranty so I don't have to pay the $140.

*Edit: I just tried it again and no problems at all, wtf?

Apparently I'm getting my 360 back today or tomorrow. The latest status update is an "arrival scan" in a nearby town in my state, and that was at 12:38 PM. So, I'll probably get it today, right? Anyway, I was wondering how I should set it up. I could set it up vertically, essentially out in the open, or I could put it in the entertainment center horizontally, which is open in the front, but is mostly enclosed on all 3 sides, save for about 4 inches of breathing room on each side (which would possibly allow the air coming from the side vents to escape from the front?) and a 2" x 3½" opening in the back which also might allow hot air from the back of the system to be ventilated, but will be partially obscured by the 360's cables. Does that sound like a safe set up for the 360 to you? >_>
Also, do you think the PS3 would be safe in that horizontal set up? I'm thinking about maybe "switching sides". I would be losing money on it unfortunately, but I'm thinking it might be worth it. I don't want a console that will die out in just a couple years at best.

I have my 360 in a similar space... no problems yet. PS3 would also be fine like that.

Sadly though most 360s don't die because of overheating... they die because of thermal expansion / contraction. If you have a machine susceptible to it then it's likely to die eventually no matter how you place it.

Err...is there any way to check the status of my console? I'd rather look it up online versus talking to someone on the phone (had to deal with Msoft phone reps several times and it was a nightmare). I hate not knowing what's going on with my box.

tegdf

tegdf said:
mine got the 3 RROD today, wouldn't read any discs at all and would freeze. Called and have a box coming

Its a launch console that has been repaired once. I have the extended warranty so I don't have to pay the $140.

*Edit: I just tried it again and no problems at all, wtf?

It just worked for about an hour. Now it red rings everytime.

so i got a call while i was out about my BBB complaint concerning msft shafting me on my extended warranty. now when i check on my 360 repair status it has disappeared from the registered devices list on xbox.com. totally sweet.

time to spend another 45mins to an hour on the phone with clueless reps.

WickedLaharl said:
so i got a call while i was out about my BBB complaint concerning msft shafting me on my extended warranty. now when i check on my 360 repair status it has disappeared from the registered devices list on xbox.com. totally sweet.

time to spend another 45mins to an hour on the phone with clueless reps.

Good luck getting anything solved with the BBB. Microsoft flat out lied on their response to my complaint.

yeah well i went to my bank and got proof (in the form of a bank statement) that i paid for the extended warranty. i'd love to see how they deny me my service after i mail that in.

i can just see it now. "we never received your letter". so then i'll have to send or fax it off to the BBB too.

WickedLaharl said:
yeah well i went to my bank and got proof (in the form of a bank statement) that i paid for the extended warranty. i'd love to see how they deny me my service after i mail that in.

i can just see it now. "we never received your letter". so then i'll have to send or fax it off to the BBB too.

Good luck with that... MS has "lost" my faxed information twice in a row now.

seriously? you know i guess i could pretend to be surprised, but after talking with their customer service for hours giving them all the reference #'s for all the repairs i've had done, the reference # i was given when i bought the 2 year extended warranty, and even digging up my original 360's serial # all to be told they have no information on a purchase... well i'm not.

WickedLaharl said:
seriously? you know i guess i could pretend to be surprised, but after talking with their customer service for hours giving them all the reference #'s for all the repairs i've had done, the reference # i was given when i bought the 2 year extended warranty, and even digging up my original 360's serial # all to be told they have no information on a purchase... well i'm not.

I can't say I'm too surprised either. I have a nice collection of about a dozen reference numbers that they never seem able to find when I call them back. I'm thinking my alternative now might be to hit small claims court, as I've exhausted about every other friendly option. It seems pretty easy to do, and unlike Microsoft, I've kept a record of every conversation.

WOW. again they can't tell me shit. they're unable to locate my xbox now. when i let my dissatisfaction be known and asked to go higher up the ladder the fucking douche named paul got all pissy in tone and told me his supervisor couldn't tell me shit either (he was right), i told transfer anyways, paul all upset says "gladly". and the puts me on hold with the music BLARING (obviously turned way the fuck up). his fucking supervisor (matt) didn't know shit either.

they say my 360 hasn't been scanned in by the repair center. and yet they've pulled my fucking info down from xbox.com.

matt says "you have nothing to worry about". are you fucking kidding me?

why is xbox customer support run by clueless idiots? btw they set me up to get a call from some guy named john that can magically access info from the repair center and other shit the regular reps can't touch. why the fuck is it set up like that? all the reps should have that info at their fingertips when you call.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

i'm so sick of this shit. goddamn it we need a gaf msft csr.

BojTrek

Banned
Well... I have to admit, I am surprised... my launch X-Box 360 just died with the 3 flashing red rings...

I was dominating a Texas Hold Em game against a grade-school buddy... talking about a 1984 8th grade video I have... and BEEP!

Yes, a loud BEEP! either from the TV or console... tried unplugging everything... tried taking off hard drive... and 3 flashing red rings...

Oh well... I have to wait for this box to arrive and send it out... 2-3 weeks to fix...

I am glad I have a PS3 and just purchased my first PS3 game... Hot Shots Golf... it will keep me going.

The clown at Microsoft read his script and asked "Jim, how are you related to James?"

I said "James and Jim are the same name, just shortened"

"So, how do you know James?" he asks

I say "I am James, Jim"

He calls me James Jim the entire remaining scripted call... Funny!

BojTrek

Banned
33xzbki.gif

Top Bottom