• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

tegdf

It's been 9 business days and I still haven't gotten the box yet, they said I would get it in 3-5 business days. Guess I have to call them again, ugh.

Mine just went down on Sunday. Still no box after requesting on Monday.

It works intermittently, but freezes a lot. I want it fixed for good, cause I don't want to risk it on GTA4.

IMG000432.jpg

Vicious

Best Buy had 1 arcade unit left, but it said 203w on the box. Although according to 360drives.com, multiple people have bought arcade 360s that said 203w on the box, but the powerbrick said 175w.

Is there anyway to tell the manufacturer date on the box itself? The team was CSON and the lot number was 0806.

edit - there is only one entry for that lot number on 360drives.com, and it says the manufacturer date was 02-15-08. Will all units with that lot number be the same date? And I have to assume it would be 175w if made this year.

Can anyone confirm this stuff, my brain hurts.

Just thought I'd share my journey for any gaffers looking for how long the process might take. I live in Virginia.

March 21: Called in my issue (dead video card, under warranty), process started
March 28: Box received
March 29: Unit shipped off (fed ex overnight this time)
March 31: Unit received by Microsoft
April 3: Unit repaired or replaced, shipped back to me via FedEx ground

I expect to receive the unit on April 7th or 8th.

Pretty speedy service for the most part.

Tips for people willing to do anything to get their box back quickly.

- Package up your own box first and pay for shipping (overnight) to MS (unless MS is willing to pay for overnight and sends you the shipping label by email, then do that). Its not to expensive. Maybe about 30 dollars or less. If your under warranty its not to bad to fork over a bit of cash to get it back quicker since the repair is free.

The box being sent to your home and back to MS is definitely the longest part of the journey. If you can eliminate that step, you'll be gaming in no time.

I'm just hoping that my 360 or refurb is in good shape.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Vicious said:
Best Buy had 1 arcade unit left, but it said 203w on the box. Although according to 360drives.com, multiple people have bought arcade 360s that said 203w on the box, but the powerbrick said 175w.

Is there anyway to tell the manufacturer date on the box itself? The team was CSON and the lot number was 0806.

edit - there is only one entry for that lot number on 360drives.com, and it says the manufacturer date was 02-15-08. Will all units with that lot number be the same date? And I have to assume it would be 175w if made this year.

Can anyone confirm this stuff, my brain hurts.
I got an Elite from team CSON last Thursday that said 203W on the box but it is 175W on the PSU. The manufacture date is 1-08-08.

Dark FaZe said:
Just thought I'd share my journey for any gaffers looking for how long the process might take. I live in Virginia.

March 21: Called in my issue (dead video card, under warranty), process started
March 28: Box received
March 29: Unit shipped off (fed ex overnight this time)
March 31: Unit received by Microsoft
April 3: Unit repaired or replaced, shipped back to me via FedEx ground

I expect to receive the unit on April 7th or 8th.

Wish mine had moved that fast. I'm going on 3 weeks now, also in Virginia. :(

Here's my timeline:

March 15 - Fri: Around 11pm, my 360 starts freezing up constantly. I let it cool down for an hour, still does it. I file the case online since it's so late. I have a service contract and the system was registered already.
March 16: I get an email from MS with my case # and a tracking number for my coffin. Excellent so far...
March 18: UPS tracking still says "Billing Info received", but I'm trying to be patient.
March 21 - Fri: Still no movement on the box.
March 25: MS calls to see if I've shipped my system off yet. I say no, I haven't received a box. The rep looks at the case and says "Oh, looks like they cancelled shipment on that. Let me get you a new case #..." Sigh.
March 28 - Fri: Coffin arrives too late for me to pack and ship that day.
March 31: FINALLY, I drop the 360 off at the UPS store nearby. No overnight label for me, just ground shipping. The fellow working there (older guy, probably late 50's) takes one look at the box and says "Xbox?" He claims to have seen a ton of them. For reference I live 15 mins away from Virginia Tech and Radford University, so we likely have a higher concentration of them.
April 3 - today: Box is out for delivery in Mesquite, TX, its destination.

The one good thing I can say about the whole experience is that I've almost got all 100 stars in Super Mario Galaxy now, thanks to being unable to play Rock Band or COD4. Luckily my little brother brought his 360 down last weekend so I could get a quick dose to tide me over.

BobM

Great tips in here thanks!

I have 2 that say 203w for output. So i guess thier not the falcon? My new HDMI acrcade unit just bit the dust (3 red rings on and off and constant freezing as soon as you boot it up) about a week ago and I am sitting on a 2 year old Premium unit that rrod but never sent it in because i was so frustrated w/ customer service at the time. (it was also a week before Mass Effect which i was very exited about.....:D )
Your stories have motivated me to make the call, and i plan to overnight at least one of them to MS to speed things up.

GAME ON!

Vicious

So I went ahead and bought the arcade 360, and even though it said 203w on the box, it was 175w inside. The system works great.

My timeline (just got updated by MS):
March 27 10:00PM - RRoD.
March 27 11:30PM - Called, shipping box
March 31 1:00PM - Box delivered, did not pickup from home
April 1 - Picked up box, shipped next morning.
April 4 - Arrived at service center in Toronto.

After I defended my 360 to a mate the unthinkable started happening.

Yesterday my 360 froze on me on the NBA 2K8 Demo Play, then the screen blanked out while playing online, then again online it froze with picture displayed.

Froze again twice on the 360 boot logo. After this it hasnt frozen again..... yet.

Should I be worried?

Rabid Wolverine said:
Yesterday my 360 froze on me on the NBA 2K8 Demo Play, then the screen blanked out while playing online, then again online it froze with picture displayed.

Froze again twice on the 360 boot logo. After this it hasnt frozen again..... yet.

Should I be worried?
I'd worry if it happens again.

pringles

I had mine since launch and it worked fine up until about two days ago.
Then I started getting the RRoD when I turned on the console, it would work if I just turned it off and back on a few times though. But yesterday the RRoD remained no matter what I did...
I really was starting to think that I would be one of the few lucky ones who don't get the RRoD. But I wonder if it isn't just a matter of "when" instead of "if" ?
Pretty much everyone I know with a 360 has gotten it.

I'm thinking I'll just get an Elite instead of going through the hassle of sending the old one in.
I've been wanting to buy an Elite anyway, this just gives me even more incentive.
Just have to make sure I get one of those Falcon consoles...

HondaF1Fanatic

Neo Member
I got an Elite in September of last year, got 1 RRoD after 2 months of pretty much continuous play, brought it back to BB using my replacement plan and got another. That one died in 3 weeks and I returned it for a refund and temporarily gave up on the 360. I am going to give it a go again when the Jasper version comes out and hope it holds up, I WANT Gears of War 2!!

kiUNiT

Dark Octave said:
My friend's reaction to his 5th or 6th RRoD over the weekend.

01010007.jpg

01010008.jpg

TakeTHATFaultyHeatsync.jpg

FUckingPieceOfShit.jpg

Wow you're friend is an Idiot, He could have tried the Xclamp fix himself or got at least $50.00 on ebay for it.:lol

I don't know if he's posted in this thread yet... but we have GAF's first confirmed bricked falcon 360. It'll show up in the April stats.

Question: Is an Xbox 360 warranty transferable? I sold my old 360 to a friend, and bought a Falcon for myself. The 360 that I sold just got the RROD. Can the console be re-registered under my friend, or do I have to handle everything myself?

Brizzo24

Psychotext said:
I don't know if he's posted in this thread yet... but we have GAF's first confirmed bricked falcon 360. It'll show up in the April stats.

I recently purchased a Xbox 360, on Feb. 15th of this year. After borrowing a retail machine from the company i used to work for, I finally thought it was time I should own my own machine, especially since I poured a lot of effort and time into achievements, games i had accumulated, and so on.

I made all the necessary precautions, at least in my mind, to purchase a machine with the latest manufacturing date printed on it--not only in the hope of preventing the dreaded RRoD, but to hopefully obtain the new falcon chip for a quieter, more efficient machine.

EDIT: i'm not sure if i DO have the falcon chip or not, i was just hoping it would have it given the date it was manufactured.

EDIT # 2: I checked the brick, and confirmed my machine IS a falcon. Thank you psychotext. Indeed, i happen to have the first broken falcon...

As of this morning, April 3rd, my brand new Xbox 360 died on me after only 40 (or so) days on the job. I never ran it hot, never subjected it to any type of abuse, or dropped it or anything. Nope, not a damn thing. All of the sudden, as i was playing through a quite campaign game of Halo 3, the machine dropped its picture as if the power went out in my apartment. Nothing else in the apartment seemed off, the clocks all chimed 11:34 and weren't flashing, and the machine itself had no flashing lights or any indication something had happened, but it did shut off. I checked the cords, ran some tests and found that the machine turned on, and sound could be heard, but no picture. I changed cables, from the component ones i was using to the composite ones that came with the machine, and nothing but the same thing. My Wii works perfectly, the tv gets picture, but my Box acts as if it lost its will to live and refuses to display a picture.

Customer support had me run a few tests, namely cleaning the A/V cord with a cloth, but that wasn't going to do shit. We both knew it fried somehow. Now i have to wait 2-3 weeks for repairs.

So even though the RRoD is the killer among killer, there are still more problems with the 360's than i originally thought. Here are pics to prove just how new my machine was/is. You can see the date printed on the machine, "2008-01-23"

2385603645_c50beacdbd.jpg

Bigger picture HERE

2385603923_f325381b8d.jpg

2387908015_58b5845fb5.jpg

Bigger pic, so you can see the wattage on my brick..."175w."

Guess i'll go and get better aquainted with my Wii now...

Striker

TJ Bennett said:
My 360 died on March 1st and Microsoft had it back to me by March 20th. I was surprised at their promptness. So far its working fine but based on stories I've read in this thread I wouldn't be suprised to come across another RROD in a few months.
If you've sent in multiple boxes, they'll put your order on priority.

I got my "coffin" box last Friday and received my Xbox 360 from FedEx just yesterday. One week through.

So it is good they put the people who've had the worse experience at a higher order.

btw, are falcon refurbs any less reliable than newly purchased falcons? I actually think I might've made a mistake in sending my newly bought 360 in to Microsoft. I thought it was making scratches on my game discs, but now that I know that all 360 discs have rings near their cores, I'm not sure. I hope I wasn't just imagining it, and that even if I was, this refurb falcon won't be shit.

Truespeed

kiUNiT said:
Wow you're friend is an Idiot, He could have tried the Xclamp fix himself or got at least $50.00 on ebay for it.:lol

The coiled and repressed level of frustration exiled from this person was considerably worth more than the paltry amount he would have received by selling it.

Truespeed

I'm just wondering, if you buy your 360 from Costco why can't you just take it back for a new one if it breaks? Or have they changed their policy in regards to video game consoles?

M3wThr33

Banned
Truespeed said:
The coiled and repressed level of frustration exiled from this person was considerably worth more than the paltry amount he would have received by selling it.
I took a mallet and hammer to a computer case once and just went nuts on it. It felt SOOO good. I hated the mobo that was inside it.

So many people commented on how I destroyed a $50 case. $50 is nothing.

bigmakstudios said:
btw, are falcon refurbs any less reliable than newly purchased falcons?
There's no reason to think refurb falcons are any less reliable. The problem with the old refurbs is that they still have the same design which makes them likely to fail in the first place.
Korranator said:
My Halo edition X360 just got 3 red lights this morning. Just 7 months old. :(
I've often wondered how they handle the repairs on those... I guess they just open them up and put in a completely new motherboard rather than pulling one from stock.

Brizzo24

It's worse than i thought. I found my receipt this morning while i was cleaning out my desk, and it is dated 02/27/08, not on the 15th like i guessed. My 360 failed on me on 04/03/08. That means it was only 35 days old! I can't believe it, it bears repeating: A brand new falcon chipped 360, manufactured on 01/23/08, and purchased on 02/27/08, died on April 3rd 2008. Fuck!

Brizzo24 said:
I recently purchased a Xbox 360, on Feb. 15th of this year. After borrowing a retail machine from the company i used to work for, I finally thought it was time I should own my own machine, especially since I poured a lot of effort and time into achievements, games i had accumulated, and so on.

I made all the necessary precautions, at least in my mind, to purchase a machine with the latest manufacturing date printed on it--not only in the hope of preventing the dreaded RRoD, but to hopefully obtain the new falcon chip for a quieter, more efficient machine.

EDIT: i'm not sure if i DO have the falcon chip or not, i was just hoping it would have it given the date it was manufactured.

EDIT # 2: I checked the brick, and confirmed my machine IS a falcon. Thank you psychotext. Indeed, i happen to have the first broken falcon...

As of this morning, April 3rd, my brand new Xbox 360 died on me after only 40 (or so) days on the job. I never ran it hot, never subjected it to any type of abuse, or dropped it or anything. Nope, not a damn thing. All of the sudden, as i was playing through a quite campaign game of Halo 3, the machine dropped its picture as if the power went out in my apartment. Nothing else in the apartment seemed off, the clocks all chimed 11:34 and weren't flashing, and the machine itself had no flashing lights or any indication something had happened, but it did shut off. I checked the cords, ran some tests and found that the machine turned on, and sound could be heard, but no picture. I changed cables, from the component ones i was using to the composite ones that came with the machine, and nothing but the same thing. My Wii works perfectly, the tv gets picture, but my Box acts as if it lost its will to live and refuses to display a picture.

Customer support had me run a few tests, namely cleaning the A/V cord with a cloth, but that wasn't going to do shit. We both knew it fried somehow. Now i have to wait 2-3 weeks for repairs.

So even though the RRoD is the killer among killer, there are still more problems with the 360's than i originally thought. Here are pics to prove just how new my machine was/is. You can see the date printed on the machine, "2008-01-23"

2385603645_c50beacdbd.jpg

Bigger picture HERE

2385603923_f325381b8d.jpg

2387908015_58b5845fb5.jpg

Bigger pic, so you can see the wattage on my brick..."175w."

Guess i'll go and get better aquainted with my Wii now...

Brizzo24 said:
That means it was only 35 days old! I can't believe it, it bears repeating: A brand new falcon chipped 360, manufactured on 01/23/08, and purchased on 02/27/08, died on April 3rd 2008. Fuck!
Things really do break I'm afraid. I've had two dead Wiis (Well, technically my mother has but I had to sort them out).

I really do feel for you guys in the US though. In the UK I'd be just taking that machine back to the store and getting a new one... probably a 20min round trip.

FightyF

Banned
Brizzo24 said:
It's worse than i thought. I found my receipt this morning while i was cleaning out my desk, and it is dated 02/27/08, not on the 15th like i guessed. My 360 failed on me on 04/03/08. That means it was only 35 days old! I can't believe it, it bears repeating: A brand new falcon chipped 360, manufactured on 01/23/08, and purchased on 02/27/08, died on April 3rd 2008. Fuck!

That basically means it's a lemon. Most lemon electronic devices die within their first few months.

Brizzo24

FightyF said:
That basically means it's a lemon. Most lemon electronic devices die within their first few months.

I just got off the phone with Microsoft's customer support, expressing my concern that given the age of the machine, i am worried that a repair might be a quick-fix and might not necessarily fix the problem. Maybe i'm jumping to conclusions, but i really would like a brand new machine, not a lemon that has been "fixed." The problem is, every employee reads off a list of answers. Noone really just talks to you. Frustrating. Nintendo would simply fix this problem by sending out a brand new machine, and having me send in the old one in the box the new one came in.

Pimpbaa

FightyF said:

Yeah, my halo edition 360 (not a falcon) died within a month. It was faulty right out of the box (games freezing up a lot). I just thought 360 games were really buggy :lol Trying to sell the replacement I got (since I bought a regular white falcon 360).

Pimpbaa said:
I just thought 360 games were really buggy :lol
The sad thing is that there's a lot of people who think that way. You see them talking about disc read errors and crashes like they're just part of how the console is rather than getting it fixed. =/

Brizzo24

Pimpbaa said:
Yeah, my halo edition 360 (not a falcon) died within a month. It was faulty right out of the box (games freezing up a lot). I just thought 360 games were really buggy :lol Trying to sell the replacement I got (since I bought a regular white falcon 360).

So they sent you a brand new machine? Did you even bother sending it in for repair? I'm sorry to hear it happened to you too. I didn't really have too many problems before the incident, but OB did freeze up on me, and at times i could hear a static sound (though i have to admit, i thought it was the game.)

Pimpbaa

Brizzo24 said:
So they sent you a brand new machine? Did you even bother sending it in for repair? I'm sorry to hear it happened to you too. I didn't really have too many problems before the incident, but OB did freeze up on me, and at times i could hear a static sound (though i have to admit, i thought it was the game.)

Yeah I sent it in. My replacement seemed brand new (new serial number so I guess mine wasn't repaired). The process went fairly smoothly. Although took forever for me to get a replacement driver (I thought initially that was the problem since games crashed less without it).

Rorschach

Striker said:
If you've sent in multiple boxes, they'll put your order on priority.
Meh, it varies. My fourth one took over 2 months and my fifth one took over a month, so...yeah.. :\
kiUNiT said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nmx0b1XttS0

Also, learn some grammar before calling someone an idiot. It's good form.

neoism

So my cousins 360 tray is fucked up. It will not open or close. Won't read disc's either. It's out warranty Got it march of 06. If I call Microsoft and lie and say it's a RROD will they fix it. How much do they charge for repairs that aren't RROD! I don't want to pay for repairs on an old system. It's been getting 2 Red Rings lately, will they fix all problems or just the one you tell them about!???

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
So let me get this straight Brizzo your console gave off no sequence of error lights at all on the LED red or green?

Brizzo24

Shaheed79 said:
So let me get this straight Brizzo your console gave off no sequence of error lights at all on the LED red or green?

Correct. Like i said, it was as if the power went out in my apartment, but only isolated to my tv and my 360. When the system came back on (can't remember if i turned it on, or it reset itself) there was no picture, only sound. I could hear the dashboard starting up, and i could hear myself getting logged into Live, but still no picture. No flashing lights, and no indication at all from my machine told me something was wrong.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Brizzo24 said:
Correct. Like i said, it was as if the power went out in my apartment, but only isolated to my tv and my 360. When the system came back on (can't remember if i turned it on, or it reset itself) there was no picture, only sound. I could hear the dashboard starting up, and i could hear myself getting logged into Live, but still no picture. No flashing lights, and no indication at all from my machine told me something was wrong.
So your machine still works but you have no picture? Or is that what happened before it completely bricked?

grimmbomb

My 360 had the RRoD when I turned it on today, so I powered it down and back up again, and no problem. Is it on its' way out? Because my warranty is up in a few months.

Brizzo24

Shaheed79 said:
So your machine still works but you have no picture? Or is that what happened before it completely bricked?

I've since unhooked my machine. Yeah, it still had sound before i unplugged it from the wall. Picture is gone.

Rorschach

Brizzo24 said:
I've since unhooked my machine. Yeah, it still had sound before i unplugged it from the wall. Picture is gone.
So you get no pic, but you get sound? Try plugging it in SD. You can also try resetting the video settings. If those two don't work, it's probably done.

All of mine have given out without the RROD except 1. It's not unheard of.

__tia__

I think that if you don't immediatley power off the console after a long gaming session but after five minutes on the dash you have many more chance for dont breaking the console.
Many of the RROD are displayed when power on the console therefore the damage was caused during the last gaming session, but if the damage is occured during the last session you must see it therefore the damage is occured when the console was poweroff.
When the console is power off after a gaming session the CPU/GPU stop to work but there's a thermal inertia inside and the fans are stopped. The temperature increases and this thermal stress break (in the long run) the components.

There's some argument there. Basically you're going from stupidly hot to cold in no time which creates the stress... so you could argue that letting it run at the cooler dashboard for a little while before powering it off would help.

But lets face it, none of this should be necessary.

__tia__

Psychotext said:
There's some argument there. Basically you're going from stupidly hot to cold in no time which creates the stress.

Not from hot to cold. When you poweroff the temperature increases drammatically because the fans are off and there's a thermal inertia inside the chassis. This peak is very faster and can cause damage in the long run

Top Bottom