• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

__tia__ said:
Not from hot to cold. When you poweroff the temperature increases drammatically because the fans are off and there's a thermal inertia inside the chassis. This peak is very faster and can cause damage in the long run
Since an update a while back the fans run for a while after being turned off if the heat in the system is above a certain point.

pringles

grimmbomb said:
My 360 had the RRoD when I turned it on today, so I powered it down and back up again, and no problem. Is it on its' way out? Because my warranty is up in a few months.
probably on it's way. After I first got the RRoD I was able to power it down and back up again to make it work for a few days before it finally completely died on me.

KarishBHR

My 360 finally RRODed, I have had it since launch.

I'm going to just do Team Xecuter's new fix... it should be out within the next week. $10 for an easy fix they say worked on 18/18 360s since christmas. They also claim its preventative for 360's that haven't RRODed

attachment.php

clav

neoism said:
So my cousins 360 tray is fucked up. It will not open or close. Won't read disc's either. It's out warranty Got it march of 06. If I call Microsoft and lie and say it's a RROD will they fix it. How much do they charge for repairs that aren't RROD! I don't want to pay for repairs on an old system. It's been getting 2 Red Rings lately, will they fix all problems or just the one you tell them about!???
Sounds like he has a Samsung drive.

Simply knock your wrist (like knocking on a door) on the drive tray after you hit eject. This will disrupt the magnetic attraction that is caused by the drive tray with the drive enclosure to keep the disks centered and from scratching. You can prevent this from happening by simply leaving a disk in the tray or doing what I just told you.

As for the 2 ROL, that indicates overheating. 3 ROL means the something is wrong in the system, and it doesn't know why (GPU chip is not on the board).

Put Viva Pinata into the Xbox 360 console and got the somewhat amusing screen telling me to put the disc in an Xbox 360 console. Started up on the second try, but the videos were running choppy as all hell. And ultimately, when I had played the game for about ten minutes, it froze up with a message telling me the disc was unreadable. I didn't think I had played the game on this particular 360 before, so I figured perhaps this drive didn't like regionfree NTSC copies too much. But then again, perhaps the disc actually was dirty? Popped the disc out and woohoo, 3-4 minor scratches. The game will probably still play, but I have previous experience with this problem and there's no doubt in my mind that it eventually can and will render games unplayable. So now I'm not sure if I wish to feed games into my 360 any longer...

Microsoft are still being assholes regarding this issue right? The last time I sent in a 360 they (Microsoft Sweden) had this special response team which basically tossed all policies aside and went far and beyond to make sure their customers were satisfied. But I'm not so sure they're around any longer, and if they're still as lenient if they are. We shall see...

It's a new Premium with a manufacturing date of 2007-02-09. Received it in August 2007 or some such, can't really remember. June according to my e-mail logs. Wow, almost made it a whole year without incident.

edit
The game won't play, pretty much. After about five minutes it either crashes back to "desktop" with an unreadable disc error or simply freezes, requiring a hard reboot.

KarishBHR

Has anyone voided their warranty and still sent their box in an returned it?

I know there are fan mods, etc that require the box to be opened... and I've done some mods myself, so is there any chance of MS accepting this thing?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
shantyman said:
So, people now have to closely examine power adapters to see if they are buying an OK unit? That's truly pathetic.
:lol

Best part is that the replacement Elite I got a little over a week ago said 203W on the box but the actual PSU is 175W.

neoism

Anyone lied about having RROD and M$ fixing it anyway. I have a disc tray problem but I don't want to pay 99$.

Brizzo24

Brizzo24 said:
I've since unhooked my machine. Yeah, it still had sound before i unplugged it from the wall. Picture is gone.

UPDATE:

Today is April 7th, a monday. The UPS guy came to my apartment to drop off my empty box at 5:30 in the afternoon/evening. As i signed for the package, he acknowledged the Wii turned on in my living, saying "Oh the Wii, i love those." I then told him my 360 died on me, and that i was sending it back for repairs, and that if he wouldn't mind if i gave him the package as soon as i finished putting it together. "Sure, no problem. We certainly get a lot of those, " he replied. "Great," was all i could think of. So the 35 day-old 360 falcon arcade unit is off to Texas for repairs. I'll let you guys know what happens.

BojTrek

Banned
Mine died on March 26th, I called that night and received the box/issue number...

I called today because of NO box/coffin... she says the box is still sitting at UPS and would start a new issue number for me and send a new box... she tells me it will arrive by Friday.

Yeah right... I will be getting a game out of this... mark my words...

Anyone have a similar experience:

My brother's 360 had the video output go bad. Black screen when powered on, sound and everything else worked. He sent it in back in February now MS is giving him the run around. Every time he calls now he is directed to call a rep in the service center who is handling his case and she never picks up the phone of course. Goes straight to voice mail.

They first said she would call him but of course it never happened. This is just the latest twist in a long painful fix. MS has had it since 2/22/08 about two weeks ago it turned from showing at the repair center on their site to not showing in their system. The reps wouldn't acknowledge it was sent in one day now they state only this women can talk to him about the status of his xbox. I even got on the phone for him yesterday forced an escalation to a supervisor who at best told me I they admitted they had the system and were working on getting me one back. She couldn't guve me an ETA or any info still and seemed powerless to send me another refurb like they always send or compensate him in any way.

BojTrek said:
Mine died on March 26th, I called that night and received the box/issue number...

I called today because of NO box/coffin... she says the box is still sitting at UPS and would start a new issue number for me and send a new box... she tells me it will arrive by Friday.

Yeah right... I will be getting a game out of this... mark my words...
They seem pretty hardcore now. Good luck getting anything from those crafty Indians.

FUCKING AWESOME BRO, my 3rd 360 is in the process of dying on me, two days after my friend got his launch 360 back from repair.

Now I just need to find the most efficient way to garrote myself.

While I'm waiting on the phone...

Does the one year full warranty extend to refurbs MS has sent back from repair, or does that only include your original system?

I ask because this time last year, MS did not have the 3 year warranty covering the RROD, so I had to pay to get mine repaired. Along with the repair, I was given a one year warranty.

A short time afterwards, MS enacted their RROD policy, and refunded my money. Now that my system is dying, I'm not sure where I sit. With the refund, did they rescind my one year warranty?

Though last night I got the RROD, today I boot it up and either get the E74 error, or it boots and I get horrendous blocking and pixelation, so I'm sure it's either the scaler or the GPU. The RROD is covered by warranty, the E74 error is not.

Anyone go through something similar?

KarishBHR

How long does it usually take for them to ship the box? I called Monday night. It's wednesday afternoon and the repair still hasn't been processed.

Brizzo24

KarishBHR said:
How long does it usually take for them to ship the box? I called Monday night. It's wednesday afternoon and the repair still hasn't been processed.

I called on a Thursday, and the box arrived the following Monday. Here's my UPS tracking info, maybe it'll help?

2400750507_f283516b91_o.jpg

HokieJoe

KarishBHR said:

I think they have 48 hours to determine whether or not to replace your 360, or repair your console. Call again tonight after 48 hours have elapsed.

KarishBHR

HokieJoe said:
I think they have 48 hours to determine whether or not to replace your 360, or repair your console. Call again tonight after 48 hours have elapsed.

I'm talking about the coffin. Do they give you a tracking number for the actually coffin? Or does it just show up whenever

HokieJoe

KarishBHR said:
I'm talking about the coffin. Do they give you a tracking number for the actually coffin? Or does it just show up whenever

Ahh, I don't remember getting a tracking number for the return box- only a work/reference number. The box will have a return label and tracking number inside when you receive it.

I knew it was going to happen some day. My launch 360 died today after about a week of locking up on me. The only thing that pisses me off is i rarely used the thing. I got it at launch and beat Kameo and NFS: Most Wanted in the first month or so. That was pretty much it until I got a HDTV in October. Even then I just played some Guitar Hero 2 with friends and the odd game of NHL08 until last month when I started to really get back into gaming. I say the thing has about 3 months of real usuage.

Oh well, the coffin shoud be here in a few days.

JeStaH

My 5th or 6th ( hard to keep track ) 360 just red ringed on me!!! :lol I don't even have the strength to call xbox support. :(

KarishBHR

"After your repair order is submitted, your status will change to Repair order submitted. This means that it is in the queue to be processed."

How long should this take?

Brizzo24

KarishBHR said:

Do you have a service request #? It should be 10 characters long, and provided to you by microsoft.

Go to https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx

Click on "* Check your Repair Status using Service Request Number"

Other options

* Check your Repair Status using Service Request Number

After entering your # and zip, you'll then be able to view your Repair Status

A UPS tracking number is on this page.

KarishBHR

Brizzo24 said:
Do you have a service request #? It should be 10 characters long, and provided to you by microsoft.

Go to https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx

Click on "* Check your Repair Status using Service Request Number"

Other options

* Check your Repair Status using Service Request Number

After entering your # and zip, you'll then be able to view your Repair Status

A UPS tracking number is on this page.

I know... they are still at step one. Should it take over 48 hours for them to complete step 1?

IJoel

Another one bites the dust...

Launch Unit
11/22/2005 - 04/09/2008

Launch unit has deceased today after a short lived, though successful attack by the Three Red Lights virus. Brief-lived as it was, it provided hundreds of hours of gameplay with numerous games. Launch unit is survived by many arcade games, demos, and videos. It will be greatly missed, until it returns as a Frankenstein or Zombie unit.

Rest In Peace

Ephemeris

:(

Just lost my second one. It doesn't even make sense... Brand new. I just freakin got this one. -_-

MFR Date: 2008-01-24

Bah. It's 4:47am over here. Should have been in bed instead. -______-

watership

Ephemeris said:

Just lost my second one. It doesn't even make sense... Brand new. I just freakin got this one. -_-

Wait. You just lost a Falcon to a red ring of death?

Welp, third time I'm dealing with support now.

The DVD drive is giving me so many Dirty Disc errors it's unbearable anymore. Thanks MS for using the cheapest, loudest drives you could possibly find!

Coffin is on the way.

broony

Has anyone had this?

Got 3 red lights and sent to MS (UK) to be repired, received it back yesterday and set it up, all worked fine until I tried to connect to live, fails and start the tests. Passes everything until xbox live where it fails. Check to see more and no text appears in the box.

Error codes are :
w 0000-0015
x 0000-f001
y 00c2-03co
z0000-0000

Tried:
With router
Direct connect to modem
With and without HDD
Tried a friend's console on my network, worked fine
Tried my console on working network of my friends, fails at same place
Powering down xbox, router, modem , same

It worked fine before the repair, so it looks like something happened while it was away. To fix the 3 red lights they replaced the motherboard, but I can't see how that can affect the connection to live, maybe it could mess up the other tests, but it passes all of them until the live one.

Spoke to telephone support tonight, was made to do all the troubleshooting etc, then they have escalated it, they are going to come back to me in 48 hours. Just sounds weird to me that they could somehow bork the console so live won't connect.

P.S. Conolse has never been opened (apart from when MS replaced the Motherboard) and manufactured in sept 05 I think.

DenogginizerOS

Ephemeris said:

What happened to it? My new Elite is manufactured around that same time and the DVD drive is making this awful grinding/crunching sound when it starts up.

BojTrek

Banned
My coffin arrived from UPS today, I just loaded the X-Box 360 into its cardboard travel case and will run over to the UPS Store after work... so in 1 hour, its little journey will begin.

I placed a nice note inside the box saying "Please send NEW or FIXED X-Box 360 To" with my name and address and added "Thank you!"

Maybe they will just say "awwww, this guy in nice... send him a NEW X-Box 360 and throw out the original problem/launch X-Box 360"

You never know!

So . . . is a receipt required to do the 1-800-4myxbox fix for a RRoD? A friend of mine has a 360 that just RRoD and replaced it with an arcade unit. Can I send in the dead one w/o any receipt since the receipt was lost long ago?

The 360 has been out for less than 3 years, so *every* 360 is still covered for the RRoD, right?

BojTrek

Banned
You should be able to call and just give the serial number... they might have it registered with your friends name... so have him call...

No receipt required... it is based on serial number...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Psychotext said:
Falcons do RRoD you know. They didn't remove the ability, just made the hardware far less likely to do it.

That's okay because it is less frequent.

Hopefully that means in the next hardware iteration it will be even less frequent, until it becomes an non-issue.

Hcoregamer00 said:
That's okay because it is less frequent.

Hopefully that means in the next hardware iteration it will be even less frequent, until it becomes an non-issue.
Yeah, I've never seen a broken PS3 or Wii either. Ask yourself a question... had we not seen the 360s massive failure rates in older models do you really think people would be so sensitive to the few (I've still seen less than 10 reported online) falcon models that have failed?

Zero hardware failure is impossible. That said, time will tell just how many more surface. Who knows, there may very well still be an issue.

Ephemeris

One thing I noticed is that I get the red lights thing, but the system actually doesn't "power up". IE - The game is still in the drive and I can't get it out >__< I couldn't help but notice that my power supply's light still is amber when I turn the system on... I read somewhere that RROD or not, once the system is powered on, it should be green.

I'm going to meet-up with a friend (and his power brick) later; I'm hoping it's a power supply issue. If not..

: (

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Got my baby back yesterday, 2 weeks to the day after I sent it away, so I'm really impressed with the speed of service. Exactly the same serial number, so it's the same box, but apparently it has a new motherboard inside. It's a heck of a lot quieter though, and that lovely CRUNK sound when it used to start up is gone.

GTA4 here we come!

DenogginizerOS

The Elite I picked up two weeks ago (Falcon; mfg date of 01-08-08) had a defective DVD drive. There was something wrong with the motor. Every once in a while, it would make a high pitched sound almost like gears grinding on an R/C car motor. It also made that CRUNK sound when it booted up and sounded like it was struggling to get going.

Since this was my fourth system, and Best Buy graciously offered, I got all my money back and I have turned in my Xbox jacket. I am officially done with X360.

Ephemeris

borrowed a friend's power supply... same thing. :(

THE FUCK? i just hit the power again (note, the 4th time I did this) and it worked. the power of GAF?!

Top Bottom