• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

DenogginizerOS said:
The Elite I picked up two weeks ago (Falcon; mfg date of 01-08-08) had a defective DVD drive. There was something wrong with the motor. Every once in a while, it would make a high pitched sound almost like gears grinding on an R/C car motor. It also made that CRUNK sound when it booted up and sounded like it was struggling to get going.
Doing categorisation... were you having crashes or similar problems?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
DenogginizerOS said:
The Elite I picked up two weeks ago (Falcon; mfg date of 01-08-08) had a defective DVD drive. There was something wrong with the motor. Every once in a while, it would make a high pitched sound almost like gears grinding on an R/C car motor. It also made that CRUNK sound when it booted up and sounded like it was struggling to get going.

Since this was my fourth system, and Best Buy graciously offered, I got all my money back and I have turned in my Xbox jacket. I am officially done with X360.

Sorry to hear that man...that sucks.

It's chart update time! Will post this disclaimer from my last post:

These numbers wont match up to the list post simply because unless I could tell when your 360 died / was replaced, you weren't included in the figures. That's basically anyone that just posted to say that their 360 died last year some time or they've had x dead 360s and gave no more information. Also, if you posted to say your 360 was acting up and never came back to confirm its death / shipment / getting a new one... you aren't included either.

Don't forget that NPD US numbers are simply included to give a rough idea of how many 360s are out there for each particular month.

15g6xbc.png

In the figures so far are 1155 dead / replaced 360s, 3 of which were falcon models (rs7k got 3 machines with bad drives from a store). So that there's no confusion, there are a couple of new falcon deaths but they will appear in April's stats.

From now on I'll be splitting the deaths by original / refurbs and every month I'll give a breakdown of what killed them / why they were replaced. (Oh, and let me know if the chart is too big / small as I had to change it. I might also decide to only include the last x months as there's a lot of data now.)

This Month

RRoD: 27
Drive: 5
Freezing: 3
Checkerboard:2
Other Red Light: 2
Noisy: 1
PSU: 1

12 of the 17 refurb failures were due to RRoD.

Adamrogo

Banned
My launch day 360 died this week, RROD.

I had it replaced at EB Games for a new one.

I have doubts that it will last very long.

AMUSIX

Launch 360 died and PS3 bought last November both diesd this week (360 3ROD...PS3 stopped reading disks). MS was very quick and easy on the phone, Sony was like pulling teeth...pretty obvious which one had more experience.

Now we get to see which one ships out their coffin quicker, then which one repairs quicker.

TiVo

TiVo said:
Open Tray Error
Not reading discs.

My on year warranty was up in Jan. I called M$ under the disguise that I got the 3 red rings instead of the open tray error, will it get fixed or should I go out and buy an elite from Best Buy with a 2 year warranty?

Or I am gonna do what I did with my PSP. Bought a one year warranty from gamestop and 1 week before it was up just went in and claimed it was broke and got a new one and another year warranty.

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:

Since this was my fourth system, and Best Buy graciously offered, I got all my money back and I have turned in my Xbox jacket. I am officially done with X360.

damn dude, sorry to hear that. you should but it on the cheap this fall when Gears 2 comes out. maybe there will be a price drop of some kind? so sad that you have had so many problems (i think i am one dead system behind you at this point).

tirant

Ephemeris said:
:(

Just lost my second one. It doesn't even make sense... Brand new. I just freakin got this one. -_-

MFR Date: 2008-01-24

Bah. It's 4:47am over here. Should have been in bed instead. -______-

Try disconnecting from power. Falcon PS are quite sensible to power spikes, and they tend to RR just because of it. It's not failure, just a warning. It happens to me all the time when I'm at my gf's. (shitty power lines)

Tmac

I'm not sure if it is the right place to ask this but i need some help here. I live in a ***** country where a imported 360 retails for US$ 760.00 and the officially distributed version retail for a mere US$ 1,470.00 (ugh).

My question is, have the falcon model resolved or at least reduced the 3rl problem? The imported version is much cheaper but has a very limited warranty (if any at all). That's why i'm curious to know how the falcon models doing.

Thanks for any help, much apreciated. :D

Tmac said:
I'm not sure if it is the right place to ask this but i need some help here. I live in a ***** country where a imported 360 retails for US$ 760.00 and the officially distributed version retail for a mere US$ 1,470.00 (ugh).

My question is, have the falcon model resolved or at least reduced the 3rl problem? The imported version is much cheaper but has a very limited warranty (if any at all). That's why i'm curious to know how the falcon models doing.

Falcons are dying just as much.

FiRez

Tmac said:

I was in your position but I was too impatient enough to wait so I crossed my fingers and bought 2...........so far it has been the worst economical mistake I had made, did the x-clamp fix but it only lasted 2 weeks in my last one, just wait a little longer or buy a PS3 (the free online compensates its small catalog at least for me and I've discovered that the sixaxis isn't as bad as I thought for FPS <3 Resistance online)

Rand al Thor 19

My fifth 360 just but the dust. Lasted from April 15, 2007 to April 12, 2008. Single Red Ring, lower right quad. E 74 was the error code. Called MS and told them it was the 3 RROD since my system was out of warranty. They are gonna fix it for free. Went to Wal-Mart and bought and Arcade unit to pass the time until I get my system back. When I get my 360 back, I'm going to take the Arcade unit back to Wal-Mart and take advantage of their 15 day electronics return policy and get my money back from the Arcade unit.

Reilly

Rand al Thor 19 said:
Went to Wal-Mart and bought and Arcade unit to pass the time until I get my system back. When I get my 360 back, I'm going to take the Arcade unit back to Wal-Mart and take advantage of their 15 day electronics return policy and get my money back from the Arcade unit.

Microsoft +1

clav

Seems to be E74 and Error code 0102 (common 3ROL) are associated with the HANA/ANA and GPU memory solder not aligning correctly.

Waiting for Team Executer's fix to come along as my personal X-clamp fix has stopped working after an year.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
DenogginizerOS said:

Welcome to the club (I only made it to my fourth).

Hi all. Just after a little advice.

I've had my 360 since launch day (UK) and it has only recently started showing signs of problems. When turning off and on after a heavy session i'd have error 74. Turning off and immediately back on again will start the box up, which is odd in itself. This has only happened twice in the 2 1/2 years but they were within a week of each other, a few months ago.
I feel that it is going to die on me very soon but am getting a bit anxious in the run up to GTA4.

Now, I used to play Crackdown and Forza2 quit heavily but then had a break from them. Returning to the games, I've noticed slow down that I can't remember seeing before.
Crackdown will slow down when driving or running full pelt with suped-up agents and Forza2 photomode is laggy as hell. I've even noticed a skip here and there with GH3.

If my 360 is on it's way out, is it possible for games to start showing slowdown or would it just die on me. The only way I can describe how my head is interpretting this is as if the 360 is full of batteries and they are slowly running out on me.

I would really appreciate any information.

Dot50Cal

Banned
RROD happened today. Third 360 to die now, its a refurb (for new stats). The 3rd replacement Microsoft sent me. Previous two were documented in this thread. Looks like GTA4 on PS3 for me :\

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Psychotext said:
Any comments on the new monthly data format? It's like it's invisible so far! :lol

Great job, dude. I like the new format, it'll be handy to have a breakdown on new vs. refurbs. Keep up the great work, I know a lot of us appreciate it!

Who knows, perhaps before long I'll have RRoD #4 to give ya! (kinda hard for it to die on me when I barely use it, though hah!)

Uh, I sent my Xbox last thursday and puro says they've got my new box waiting today.

Should I be scared of the results? Did they send me back my RROD'd xbox? Should I cry?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Just wanted to add to your lil chart.

Mine just broke for the third time. It's a referbed launch unit. First broke 4 months after release, then again 3 months later (both RROD), and now the DVD drive has burnt out. This type requires payment for repair which i just won't do so...i'm done.

Brizzo24

UPDATE

Today is April 16, 13 days since my 360 broke. It has been a wild ride, to say the least, but this horror story might just be getting a happy ending soon. According to the MS service site, my repaired/replaced 360 is on the outbound, with a one-way ticket for "home." Let's hope it arrive before the weekend :) As soon as i get it, i'll let you know if they repaired or replaced the console.

Oh, and before i go, is it true MS is now re-wiring systems so that instead of getting the RRoD, they now only blink one light? Let me explain further. In an evil attempt to further look like douches, MS is now rewiring systems so that yes, they still RRoD, but it won't register a RRoD. That way their warranty doesn't have to fix the problem, because not all three lights are on. If this is true, i want out...

I recently purchased a Xbox 360, on Feb. 15th of this year. After borrowing a retail machine from the company i used to work for, I finally thought it was time I should own my own machine, especially since I poured a lot of effort and time into achievements, games i had accumulated, and so on.

I made all the necessary precautions, at least in my mind, to purchase a machine with the latest manufacturing date printed on it--not only in the hope of preventing the dreaded RRoD, but to hopefully obtain the new falcon chip for a quieter, more efficient machine.

EDIT: i'm not sure if i DO have the falcon chip or not, i was just hoping it would have it given the date it was manufactured.

EDIT # 2: I checked the brick, and confirmed my machine IS a falcon. Thank you psychotext. Indeed, i happen to have the first broken falcon...

As of this morning, April 3rd, my brand new Xbox 360 died on me after only 40 (or so) days on the job. I never ran it hot, never subjected it to any type of abuse, or dropped it or anything. Nope, not a damn thing. All of the sudden, as i was playing through a quite campaign game of Halo 3, the machine dropped its picture as if the power went out in my apartment. Nothing else in the apartment seemed off, the clocks all chimed 11:34 and weren't flashing, and the machine itself had no flashing lights or any indication something had happened, but it did shut off. I checked the cords, ran some tests and found that the machine turned on, and sound could be heard, but no picture. I changed cables, from the component ones i was using to the composite ones that came with the machine, and nothing but the same thing. My Wii works perfectly, the tv gets picture, but my Box acts as if it lost its will to live and refuses to display a picture.

Customer support had me run a few tests, namely cleaning the A/V cord with a cloth, but that wasn't going to do shit. We both knew it fried somehow. Now i have to wait 2-3 weeks for repairs.

So even though the RRoD is the killer among killer, there are still more problems with the 360's than i originally thought. Here are pics to prove just how new my machine was/is. You can see the date printed on the machine, "2008-01-23"

2385603645_c50beacdbd.jpg

Bigger picture HERE

2385603923_f325381b8d.jpg

2387908015_58b5845fb5.jpg

Bigger pic, so you can see the wattage on my brick..."175w."

Guess i'll go and get better aquainted with my Wii now...

Did you just post this exact same post again with an update?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10516488&postcount=7824

Don't you think maybe just the update would have been sufficient? :lol
Brizzo24 said:
Oh, and before i go, is it true MS is now re-wiring systems so that instead of getting the RRoD, they now only blink one light? Let me explain further. In an evil attempt to further look like douches, MS is now rewiring systems so that yes, they still RRoD, but it won't register a RRoD. That way their warranty doesn't have to fix the problem, because not all three lights are on. If this is true, i want out...
Take a guess... don't believe the fanboy PR.

Scotch

I got my 360 back yesterday. I sent it in because the dvd drive was making a grinding noise when turned on. This is actually the second time I've sent it in for that problem, the first time (a month or so ago) they just sent it right back. I just tried a second time (after some bitching at the lady on the phone) and somewhat to my surprise they actually fixed it with a new dvd drive this time.

It's great cause now I can sell this piece of shit without feeling too guilty towards its future owner. I may pick up a new 360 in the future, but not before the Jasper or Valhalla are out.

Scotch said:
It's great cause now I can sell this piece of shit without feeling too guilty towards its future owner. I may pick up a new 360 in the future, but not before the Jasper or Valhalla are out.
Valhalla is for replacing old machines that have RRoD... so that wont be of any use to you.

909er

Well, add another to the tally. My 3rd 360 just RRoD today. Thank God I have an extended warranty (and thank God Gamestop actually honored it, since I heard they discontinued their own warranties after I got mine). Was a system made in late 2006. Unfortunately the system they exchanged it with is made in April 2006. I have a strong feeling I'll dealing with at least one more 360 before the end.

To fellow 360 owners, do you believe that your system WILL break within the next 3 years, and are you okay with that? I feel like an abused woman, but I've already accepted that getting an Xbox comes with its risks that will likely show up down the road, even though it really pisses me off.

909er said:
To fellow 360 owners, do you believe that your system WILL break within the next 3 years, and are you okay with that?
I don't think my 360 will break... but I'd like it to sometime in the next 6 months so I can grab a falcon model for the reduced fan noise! (in store warranty) :lol

tegdf

I got the box from MS last thursday and I sent it out that friday morning, so I check on xbox.com support to see the updates about where my consoles is. I click on the tracking number but it still hasn't been updated, the last time it was updated was the day it arrived at my house. WTH is up?

-Rogue5-

My Falcon Elite (360 #5) died last week... Not even RROD, just straight up nada -- the center LED turns on, but the outlining rings down swirl, and the TV screen doesn't initialize. This fucking blows, it was a falcon (mfc in Dec. 07) and was less than 3months old.

clav

-Rogue5- said:
My Falcon Elite (360 #5) died last week... Not even RROD, just straight up nada -- the center LED turns on, but the outlining rings down swirl, and the TV screen doesn't initialize. This fucking blows, it was a falcon (mfc in Dec. 07) and was less than 3months old.
Audio? Video?

You may want to try to reset your video settings by powering the X360 with the controller and holding down the Right trigger and Y button while it's turning on. It should reboot and start again with low settings.

As a 360 owner, I plan to make mine x-clamp less after I send it in one more time (call repair on the phone) before my warranty expires in November.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
HaloFans said:
Audio? Video?

You may want to try to reset your video settings by powering the X360 with the controller and holding down the Right trigger and Y button while it's turning on. It should reboot and start again with low settings.

As a 360 owner, I plan to make mine x-clamp less after I send it in one more time (call repair on the phone) before my warranty expires in November.

Falcon's... dying? Brizzo's RROD probably was because of the outage; it must have fried something, so I am not gonna qualify that as a... err.... "real" RROD, but I see Rogue's did die. Now I fear for my Falcon =P. It has never even crashed on me, but if some are dying... meh. I'll just happily play!

SonnyBoy

No lie, my premium died on me for the 3rd time and I just got it back about 3 weeks ago. Thank goodness I have an elite (which I also just got back) that will hopefully be around for GTA4.

kiUNiT

Psychotext said:
I don't think my 360 will break... but I'd like it to sometime in the next 6 months so I can grab a falcon model for the reduced fan noise! (in store warranty) :lol

Don't worry it will soon enough. I used to talk about losing two at launch but having my third going strong for over a year and a half, then it rrod last week and is on its way to MS as we speak. Just brag about how good it is and soon after it will rrod just to spite you.:lol

pulga

Banned
Yeah so my 360 dies 10 minutes ago. This is the second one that bites the dust and the first time it was a pain in the ass to replace since I didn't live in the US at the time.

Say I ring up Microsoft and get the coffin shipped to me, is there any limit on the time I have to send it back? Living in Costa Rica makes it so I can't just send it back the next day I receive it.

pulga said:
Yeah so my 360 dies 10 minutes ago. This is the second one that bites the dust and the first time it was a pain in the ass to replace since I didn't live in the US at the time.
Is that a refurb?

pulga

Banned
Psychotext said:
Is that a refurb?

No, it's the one I bought sometime I was on business in the US. But if by refurb you mean the one Microsoft sent back after the original one died, then yes.

ascully

Just checking in with my 8th RROD not sure what killed it I was playing Rainbow 6 the other night and pow it red ringed, I have 2 boxes and this one was a core system that has never been in for a repair. Lasted about 6 months.

pulga

Banned
Psychotext said:
Check the last page... one of the posts has a big graph in it. :lol

Oh, I see now. :lol

Anyways, anyone have an answer to my problem? Btw, is there some phone I can call so I get assistance in Spanish, instead of being referred to Microsoft India?

Top Bottom