• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

watership

Brizzo24 said:
Or so i thought. Actually, all my Arcade Games are now 'Trial Versions.' The only way i can play them is if i am ONLINE and connected to Xbox Live. Weird?!?! Well, this is just a new turn in events.

It's an old turn of events. You can delete and redownload all the games and see if that fixes them. IF not, call MS and request a license transfer from your old hardware to your new one. Apparently, this takes time though.

IJoel

I got my console back from MS today, exactly 2 weeks after I sent it. For all the negative comments MS support gets, my experience (so far - knock on wood...) has been really outstanding.

joaomgcd

So, of course, less than one week before GTA comes out, my Xbox 360 dies! And it's no regular 3 lights RROD either. It's a fancy one light, 4th quadrant only ring of death! I've searched around and it seems it's also an hardware failure and that I should disconnect every accessory and cable from my 360 and reconnect it to see if it works, but it doesn't... Any other tips before I call the support line?

Stoo

Ol' Launchie is dead. No red lights, no error messages, just weird trippy corruption on every textured polygon and a weird fucking static sound coming out of my speakers. Before anyone pins it on overheating, this one's been fine for the last 2 years or so since its last repair, and it still does this shit from a cold-boot with a desk-fan pointing at it.

GTA is due to arrive in the post first thing tomorrow morning as well :( Sod's law can be a real dick.

I think i'll just go out and buy a new arcade tomorrow, then ebay this cursed piece of shit once it's repaired.

Arse.

2gxpjz4.jpg

24ctmwp.jpg

2real4tv

joaomgcd said:
So, of course, less than one week before GTA comes out, my Xbox 360 dies! And it's no regular 3 lights RROD either. It's a fancy one light, 4th quadrant only ring of death! I've searched around and it seems it's also an hardware failure and that I should disconnect every accessory and cable from my 360 and reconnect it to see if it works, but it doesn't... Any other tips before I call the support line?

Is it the E74...than ur f***ed just like mine, if its out of warranty u have to pay $99

luxarific

Nork unification denier
TiVo said:
Anyone knows if CostCo is still doing lifetime warranty(walin replace) for 360's because this solves the problem as far as waiting for the whole waiting for coffin, shipping, repair then return.

Good question. Their "90 days" exception includes "computers". Are PS3s and XBox360s considered computers?

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

I know that if you bought the 360 before they put this warranty revision into effect last year, in February, they will still honor the "no questions" asked return/exchange. But will they honor it for broken 360s purchased after February 2007?

My best guess would be that they would consider the 360 as falling under this 90 day policy, which makes the extended warranty at Best Buy a better deal.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
UPS delivered my console Friday morning, yet the support site still says "waiting on delivery of console".

This brings pain to a whole new level. *sigh*

BigFwoosh

My console red ringed yesterday and gave some error message. I didn't read it though, I just turned the system off and turned it on again and now it's fine. But, the question is... for how long? =(

BigFwoosh said:
My console red ringed yesterday and gave some error message. I didn't read it though, I just turned the system off and turned it on again and now it's fine. But, the question is... for how long? =(
Been there. Couple of weeks, best scenario.

skybaby

Mine died last week, 3 red lights, error 0102. I'm fixing it myself (it's imported and local Microsoft basically told me to fuck off with my alien 360)

BigFwoosh

Dark Octave said:
Been there. Couple of weeks, best scenario.
Well, at least I wasn't planning on getting GTA yet. I will miss CoD 4 though. When it (inevitably) dies and I have to send it in, will they send me back a Falcon? That'd be sweet.

BigFwoosh said:
Well, at least I wasn't planning on getting GTA yet. I will miss CoD 4 though. When it (inevitably) dies and I have to send it in, will they send me back a Falcon? That'd be sweet.
I dunno. After my 3rd RRoD, I stopped going with MS to repair my 360. There is a good chance that they will give you someone else's refurbished, launch system like they did me the 2nd time, but as for a Falcon, I don't know.

N.A

Banned
My first RRoD today, was a launch unit.

On GTA IV day... I managed to play it for 4 hours.

Coffin's on it's way, any UK people know the average turnaround time?

Guess I'll keep reminding everyone who is playing GTA IV that some people are less fortunate. :sob:

N.A said:
My first RRoD today, was a launch unit.

On GTA IV day... I managed to play it for 4 hours.

Coffin's on it's way, any UK people know the average turnaround time?

Guess I'll keep reminding everyone who is playing GTA IV that some people are less fortunate. :sob:

I sold my old launch unit to a friend and bought an Elite and my old one died on him. As it was registered to my address I sent it off for him, the courier picked t up from me on the tuesday and it came back on the Friday, he was lucky he was on holiday and didn't even miss it! I checked to see that they had fitted the additional heat sink and they had, so hopefully he'll be ok now.

N.A

Banned
Even if the towel trick works, I'll still be sending it off. Really need a new one/refurb, especially since there's only a few months left until the warranty runs out.

Just praying I don't end up in the cycle like some people who are on their 8th 360.

Edit: Towel trick worked, but only for a few minutes... Trying again but am going to let it cool down longer this time.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
luxarific said:
Good question. Their "90 days" exception includes "computers". Are PS3s and XBox360s considered computers?

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

I know that if you bought the 360 before they put this warranty revision into effect last year, in February, they will still honor the "no questions" asked return/exchange. But will they honor it for broken 360s purchased after February 2007?

My best guess would be that they would consider the 360 as falling under this 90 day policy, which makes the extended warranty at Best Buy a better deal.

I went ahead and e-mail Costco customer service about this question: XBox360 hardware purchases are covered under the "no questions asked" non-time-limited return/exchange, whether made at the website or at a B&M location. The only catch is that you might not be able to get an equal same-day exchange if you're missing cables/manuals/the game pack-in that came with your bundle or if you're trying to exchange the broken XBox360 that you bought at Costco.com (which come in their own bundle configurations, which can differ from those sold in the B&M warehouses) with one being sold by the B&M.

E.g., Elites aren't sold at my local Costco warehouse, so if I were to buy one from Costco.com, I wouldn't be able to return it to my local B&M if I wanted a same day exchange. I could return it for a full refund, but I couldn't walk out of the warehouse with another Xbox (unless I chose to apply the refund to a Premium bundle, which they do carry there). I think this is probably the best deal you'll get in terms of warranty support, without having to pay extra for an extended Best Buy or Gamestop warranty. It won't be cheaper though, since you just can't buy an XBox360 at Costco - you have to buy it in a bundle with a game and extra controller. The only difference is that you get the lifetime warranty for free and won't have to deal with the delay and hassle of shipping it in (if you buy your XBox locally at a B&M warehouse).

N.A

Banned
Got about 2 more hours out of GTA before my 360 RRoD'd again. Hopefully my replacement 360 will arrive quickly.

Not only did my 3rd 360 red ring the morning Halo 3 came out but my 4th has today kicked the bucket the day before i was going to buy GTA4 (provided i could find a copy). Gamestation had better be in the mood to swap this piece of shit for a new one tomorrow or im gonna be pissed....

Worst. Luck. Evaaar :(

N.A

Banned
My 360 was picked up this morning and is now on it's way to Germany. Apprarently I should get a refurb sometime next week.

Pretty impressed with the 360 repair process so far. Been quick and easy.

I didnt even go down that route. Swapped it instore today. If this had happened next week they wouldnt have swapped it for me :D Kinda glad it red ringed now. Brand new Premium with all the trimmings (my headset had just crapped out too) and HDMI (which i assume means its a Falcon right?) Lets hope 5th times a charm!

BladedExpert said:
I didnt even go down that route. Swapped it instore today. If this had happened next week they wouldnt have swapped it for me :D Kinda glad it red ringed now. Brand new Premium with all the trimmings (my headset had just crapped out too) and HDMI (which i assume means its a Falcon right?) Lets hope 5th times a charm!

Nope.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I got this when I left my 360 alone for about 10 minutes. I had this in Burnout Paradise as well, but for some reason it has not come back despite playing GTA4 for around 12 hours now. Anyone else have this, and have it lead to RROD?

NOOOOOO.jpg

Also, My previous Devkit RROD'ed :lol

GIyPPrvVe.jpg

Total count:
1 Disc Read Error
2 RROD (1 a devkit)

Flo

For a few weeks my xbox has been making weird noises, I kept checking the disks that I was playing, but I didn't notice anything.. Of course now that GTA came out.. it got worse! And by that I mean a lot worse..! It became so bad that I could hardly hear the game sounds. So I decided to stop playing, took out the disk. But then I thought well damn, the disk seems fine, there is no rrod, why not give it another try. So I took the dvd out of the box again, only to notice this:

[sorry for the huge pic, but it shows the problem better]
2i1z9sj.jpg

So far the game still works, but I think that if I play any more, it'll cut the middle out of the disk.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Does this fall under Microsoft's extended warranty?

joaomgcd

Flo said:
For a few weeks my xbox has been making weird noises, I kept checking the disks that I was playing, but I didn't notice anything.. Of course now that GTA came out.. it got worse! And by that I mean a lot worse..! It became so bad that I could hardly hear the game sounds. So I decided to stop playing, took out the disk. But then I thought well damn, the disk seems fine, there is no rrod, why not give it another try. So I took the dvd out of the box again, only to notice this:

[sorry for the huge pic, but it shows the problem better]

So far the game still works, but I think that if I play any more, it'll cut the middle out of the disk.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Does this fall under Microsoft's extended warranty?

It sadly doesn't fall under Microsoft's extended warranty. Only the 3 lights RROD is included in that warranty.

pr0cs

Flo said:
in my experience the extended warranty is RROD only.
If your machine is > 1 year old you'll likely have to paid for repairs to the drive (assuming that is what is causing the damage).

DMczaf

Great, my 360 just RROD on me after a GTA4 Multiplayer session. Its working now, but its like a Zombie 360 now. I know it's truely dead :(

Time to call MS....

Bildi

Dot50Cal said:
I got this when I left my 360 alone for about 10 minutes. I had this in Burnout Paradise as well, but for some reason it has not come back despite playing GTA4 for around 12 hours now. Anyone else have this, and have it lead to RROD?

I had this happen once but much more severe a few months ago. I also get blue artifacts in the lower left corner of the screen now and then which are only visible on white or grey things (like a system blade most commonly).

It hasn't led to a RROD yet. I wish it would hurry up and RROD so I can get the piece of crap replaced.

DMczaf said:
Great, my 360 just RROD on me after a GTA4 Multiplayer session. Its working now, but its like a Zombie 360 now. I know it's truely dead :(

Time to call MS....

wow, looks like you guys are used to it.

Flo

Flo said:

I called Microsoft today and it falls under the warranty! Weird thing is that I don't get a box, I have to get my own box.. Oh well, I'm glad that they will fix it. Sucks that there won't be gta4 for me the coming two weeks :/

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
watership said:
It's an old turn of events. You can delete and redownload all the games and see if that fixes them. IF not, call MS and request a license transfer from your old hardware to your new one. Apparently, this takes time though.

By "this takes time", it means you wait forever, Mine was never resolved in over 5 months..

Flo

So things were taken care of surprisingly fast. My xbox is already picked up! When the UPS guy was here I asked how many xboxes he had picked up today. It was kind of a joke, and I expected another 2 or 3 maybe.. His answer was 16!! Just today! He went on to tell me that he picked up 304 last week.. And that was just in Zwolle, an average size town (115,000 people) in Holland! I was blown away by that number.

Keio

For a Finer World
And boom, there goes my nice black Elite.

vapaa_su-aamu.JPG

A lovely Sunday morning, a fresh latte in my hand, looking to explore Liberty City.

This one - my fourth Xbox 360. I'm seriously considering giving up.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Keio said:
And boom, there goes my nice black Elite.

vapaa_su-aamu.JPG

A lovely Sunday morning, a fresh latte in my hand, looking to explore Liberty City.

This one - my fourth Xbox 360. I'm seriously considering giving up.
:lol

You are "seriously considering giving up"? On your FOURTH console???

Jesus Christ.... I´m considering selling my PS3 because of the number of problems with the console... :lol

Keio

For a Finer World
Insane Metal said:
:lol

You are "seriously considering giving up"? On your FOURTH console???

Jesus Christ.... I´m considering selling my PS3 because of the number of problems with the console... :lol
I've tried to persist through thick and thin with the new gen, but yeah, it's starting to feel like pc gaming with the hw problems, patches etc.

Got a PS3 this morning to let me play GTA IV through the month it takes to get a 360 repaired in Europe. At least I have both so should one fail...

Of course, there's also Wii Fit - the yoga exercises help me get through this "annoyance".

If I get a new Elite, should it last longer than the first batches?

Keio said:
If I get a new Elite, should it last longer than the first batches?
Well, as my Elite which I bought in December 07 no longer recognises any discs I would say no, an Elite won't last any longer than the first batches, though as for RRoD's I couldn't say. My Jan 06 Premium still works.
As for Customer services..huh? I shouldn't lay the console down like a VCR? Wha'? I think I have a coffin coming. Hard to say as I was cut off after the Customer Service Rep explained what I should do with the box. No thank you or crap. Think I'll have to go through it all again just to be sure.
As for my Elite I can only assume that standing it vertically may have been the problem as I have never stood my Premium vertically and it still breathes, though who knows for how much longer.

MLAW

Well, I've now joined this party. My Xbox ring'ed on Saturday. (It was manufactured September of 2005, though I bought it somewhat after that date.) After obtaining the serial number from the back, I called 1-800-4MY-XBOX this morning.

It was suggested I that borrow a power supply from a friend in order to "rule it out" as the cause. I said no-can-do as all my friends have given up and moved on to PS3's. Which, oddly enough, is actually true. I then said I was not going to buy a new one (power supply), nor was I going to pay for any repairs. If that was my only option, I will join my PS3 friends.

Long story short - it seems it does fall under the 3 year, red ring, warantee and my coffin is on its way.

Lousy timing - I had just (finally) broken down and bought Rock Band.

TTFN
Lynn

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Quick question:

Is your disc drive royally fucked if it just stops reading discs out of nowhere? It was working just fine earlier today and after a while I decided to take an hour break before hopping back on to play some Halo, and about 3 seconds after I insert the disc, the disc drive says "Unplayable disc" from the picture of a disc drive on the Live Dashboard.

It says this with every game now. Should I just try again later or is it completely dead now? :(

Cheech

Domino Theory said:
Quick question:

Is your disc drive royally fucked if it just stops reading discs out of nowhere? It was working just fine earlier today and after a while I decided to take an hour break before hopping back on to play some Halo, and about 3 seconds after I insert the disc, the disc drive says "Unplayable disc" from the picture of a disc drive on the Live Dashboard.

It says this with every game now. Should I just try again later or is it completely dead now? :(

Yeah, the drive is dead. The Samsung drives they used for awhile were complete crap. Sorry man, hopefully you're still in warranty.

N.A

Banned
Just checked my trracking number and see this:

FRANKFURT,
DE 06/05/2008 6:58 REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY / SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY
06/05/2008 6:58 REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY / RELEASED BY CLR AGENCY. NOW IN-TRANSIT

FRANKFURT,
DE 03/05/2008 3:11 RETURNED TO SHIPPER
03/05/2008 0:14 OUT FOR DELIVERY
TAMWORTH,
GB 01/05/2008 23:41 EXPORT SCAN
01/05/2008 20:40 ARRIVAL SCAN
NOTTINGHAM,
GB 01/05/2008 19:59 DEPARTURE SCAN
01/05/2008 17:24 ORIGIN SCAN
01/05/2008 11:55 COLLECTION SCAN
DE 30/04/2008 8:07 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Does this mean it's on it's way back?

Diablos

Probably.

Psychotext said:
It's chart update time! Will post this disclaimer from my last post:

These numbers wont match up to the list post simply because unless I could tell when your 360 died / was replaced, you weren't included in the figures. That's basically anyone that just posted to say that their 360 died last year some time or they've had x dead 360s and gave no more information. Also, if you posted to say your 360 was acting up and never came back to confirm its death / shipment / getting a new one... you aren't included either.

Don't forget that NPD US numbers are simply included to give a rough idea of how many 360s are out there for each particular month.

15g6xbc.png

In the figures so far are 1155 dead / replaced 360s, 3 of which were falcon models (rs7k got 3 machines with bad drives from a store). So that there's no confusion, there are a couple of new falcon deaths but they will appear in April's stats.

From now on I'll be splitting the deaths by original / refurbs and every month I'll give a breakdown of what killed them / why they were replaced. (Oh, and let me know if the chart is too big / small as I had to change it. I might also decide to only include the last x months as there's a lot of data now.)

This Month

RRoD: 27
Drive: 5
Freezing: 3
Checkerboard:2
Other Red Light: 2
Noisy: 1
PSU: 1

12 of the 17 refurb failures were due to RRoD.
Now THAT is dedication.

This thread makes me so glad I got the extended warranty through MS.

bigmakstudios said:
ok, I have another question. This is going to entail a lot of description, and I don't really feel like drawing another awesome diagram.
that home entertainment center my 360 is standing vertically on... I was wondering if I might be able to put my 360 inside it instead, despite being advised against it. When horizontally oriented, the 360 is 12 inches long, 3 inches high, and about 9 inches wide. A compartment in my home entertainment center, on the other hand, is 20 inches long (26 inches if you count the extra 3 inches of space on each side that are covered in the front), 4½ inches high, and 18 inches wide. It's open in the front, but there is only a small, 3½ inch wide, 2 inch high slot for leading cables in the back. I've heard that positioning the 360 horizontally significantly reduces noise, and in my setup, it would eliminate the possibility of the 360 falling to the floor, so if my home entertainment center wouldn't suffocate it, it would be a much more ideal arrangement. And if this home entertainment center wouldn't work, do you think one with a completely open back would?

I tried putting it in the home entertainment center. It died in only 2 months. It was a falcon. :(
How should I have this thing set up? I don't have a place to store it where it would have unrestricted air flow, except on a carpet, which wouldn't be convenient or efficacious. Are there any TV stands/home entertainment centers that are almost entirely open and have quite a few shelves for housing components, and sell for like... $100 or less?

N.A

Banned
Just recieved my 360 back!

Unfortunately I lent my copy of GTA IV to a friend and can't get it back for another 5 hours.

Really impressed with the turnaround time.

Timeline:

29th April - 360 RRoD's
1st May - Xbox picked up
9th May - Repaired 360 returned

Total time: 11 days.

TiVo

Yeah mine took about 11 days too. Between the Wii & DS games I hardly missed it.

Got the "Open tray" error but told them I got the "RROD" error so they fixed it.

Before when I used to open the tray even long after I exited to dashboard it would make this scary sound like it was chewing up the disc and it would still be spinning as it opened.

Now it is quiet and the disc does not spin when opened.

Also this time around I am keeping it horizontal. I know it can be played vertical but how many pc's have vertical drives and there is no way something can spin perfect in the vertical position.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I now never turn my 360 off manually. I let the auto-timer do it by letting it sit at the dash. That way it cools before shutting off the fans and what not. Still going strong...almost a year.

Wow. I may be a greedy bastard for doing this, but I've found that although Microsoft would never dare give 360 owners a refund, they seem perfectly willing to hand out free copies of first party games. I've received a game for each time I sent my console in for repairs. I got Viva Pinata for the first time, and now Project Gotham Racing 3 for the second. Plus, they give everyone a 1 month prepaid Xbox Live Gold Card, as far as I know. Really, that's a very generous policy, but if my consoles continue to break down, it won't make much of a difference to me.

Top Bottom