• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

traveler

Not Wario
How much success have people had with sending in broken 360s that haven't RROD'd and telling them they have? All I have right now is a borked disc drive and 2 Red Rings that show up every time and I honestly can't afford (nor do I want to) to play $100 for MS' mistakes.

traveler said:
How much success have people had with sending in broken 360s that haven't RROD'd and telling them they have? All I have right now is a borked disc drive and 2 Red Rings that show up every time and I honestly can't afford (nor do I want to) to play $100 for MS' mistakes.

I see a towel in your future. Overheat that sucker!

TaKeRx

Well, My 360 finally kick the bucket. Fortunately I had a PS3, so I trade it in to have enough to buy a 360. I'm now waiting for MS to send me my xbox back. I will give it to my brother. I just couldn't stand not being able to play COD4 or RSV2. I never finished Uncharted :( . I'll just buy it on June again.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
My 360 died on March 1st and Microsoft had it back to me by March 20th. I was surprised at their promptness. So far its working fine but based on stories I've read in this thread I wouldn't be suprised to come across another RROD in a few months.

Mine died the first time in december (everything ok since Oblivion day), I got it back after 2 weeks, then died again 2 weeks later.
The firt time they changed the dvd player with a less noisy one but it was a lot dirtier than the previous, the second time they changed again the dvd player and now it's so freakin noisy I have to pump the music volume to the highest levels...they really don't get the point with this xbox360 shi**

Mines gave up last night. Got home, turned it on. No video. Turned off/on. Then RRoD.

Elite 360 purchased August 11th of last year (at the price drop).

Still can't quite believe it did happen to my system.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The DVD drive on the Elite I purchased last July died on me yesterday (BenQ). It was skipping a lot over the last few months and I noticed it sounded like it was trying to constantly speed up/slowdown/speed up to find whatever section on the disk it was looking for. It got really bad during Viking on Wednesday night. I took it to Best Buy and swapped it out in 5 minutes. The girl who waited on me said, "Don't feel bad. I am on my 4th!" :lol

Now, Viking runs better (the cutscenes) and my DVD drive is consistently whirring rather than doing the crazy stuff it was doing before. I am beginning to think that a lot of the game crashes I had over the last few months were due to drive errors. :/

So my second 360 RROD'd on me last night after a few weeks of 'unable to read disc' errors on random games at random times. So I can sent it back and get another refurb unit or bite the bullet and buy new(er) HDMI Premium. With the three year warranty the repair will be free but my previous repair experience just leads me to think any replacement will crap out eventually anyway. Plus if I buy a new one I can get an extended warranty through the store.

I'm not ready to give up on 360 yet. Just too much great gaming left to do...

AndyD

aka andydumi
traveler said:

Little. First thing they do is plug it up and see. But a towel might do the trick.

watership

TJ Bennett said:
My 360 died on March 1st and Microsoft had it back to me by March 20th. I was surprised at their promptness. So far its working fine but based on stories I've read in this thread I wouldn't be suprised to come across another RROD in a few months.

Where do you live? I live in Toronto and my friend got his 360 back in 7 business days. They can really turn it around lately.

So my 360 died just a couple of minutes ago. I got it at EB and still have waranty on it. Should I call Microsoft to take care of it, or should I take the 360 to EB?

Considering the arcade games are connected to my live tag and my 360, how can I still play them?

Is there a chance that I can say that I want a more quiet 360 with HDMI in exchange?

Mojovonio

Banned
So there goes #3. I think it got mad with how much time ive been spending with my ps3. It died while watching movies off a thumbdrive.

Oh well, I'm pretty sure its out of warranty, so I may switch my GTA4 pre-order to the PS3 version.

pr0cs

Klaxon said:
So my 360 died just a couple of minutes ago. I got it at EB and still have waranty on it. Should I call Microsoft to take care of it, or should I take the 360 to EB?

Considering the arcade games are connected to my live tag and my 360, how can I still play them?

Is there a chance that I can say that I want a more quiet 360 with HDMI in exchange?
Mixed bag.
Exchange will likely mean you'll get a new model with better internals and HDMI, but you'll have to call MS and go through the horrible task of getting the DRM transferred. not a huge deal if you're always online but a pain in the ass nonetheless.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
bigmakstudios said:
Is there any reason to believe that a replacement Falcon 360 from Microsoft would be less reliable than a newly bought Falcon 360?
It is not the chipset I would be worried about; I would worry about the DVD drive.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
watership said:
Where do you live? I live in Toronto and my friend got his 360 back in 7 business days. They can really turn it around lately.

I live in Santa Monica.

I've had it back a week now and still running well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

blanky

So my xbox crapped out after serving me since Dec 05. It did such a good job :(

I have a question though, Thursday the UPS came to pick it up. Since then I haven't heard anything. Is this normal? Do I just wait for an email from them confirming my xbox is on the way home? (EU based btw)

Dead videocard.

Sent the box out on Saturday and they received it today via Fedex Overnight which was a pretty nice service. Hopefully I get the repair done in a day or two and overnighted to me again.

This will be my third box...this being a refurb.

I'll probably say screw it if this one dies on me. I love the games so I'll never completely quit on the system, but if this one fails I'll turn it in to be repaired, then sell it. I'll take a loss on it but I'll use the funds earned to buy a new 360 with an instore warranty so I can just replace my console in an hour rather than weeks.

This stuff is really sad though.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm giving up on trying to make it RR. Anyone want to buy a broken 360 for $200? You'll have to pay $100 to get it repaired, but I'll throw in a 20GB hard drive, 2 wireless controllers, a recharge station, 2 rechargeable battery backs, and an Xbox Live camera.

Xeke

Banned
traveler said:
I'm giving up on trying to make it RR. Anyone want to buy a broken 360 for $200? You'll have to pay $100 to get it repaired, but I'll throw in a 20GB hard drive, 2 wireless controllers, a recharge station, 2 rechargeable battery backs, and an Xbox Live camera.

Keep trying! Get a space heater!

GaryD

Mine just crapped out with 3 red rings. I hadn't even gotten into the game, I was just purchasing some songs in GH3, machine crashed with a blue screen with lines across it. Turned it back on and was greated by the 3 rings :lol

This machine is under 12 months old I'd say and I only play it once a week if I am lucky.

Not sure whether to bother with MS or just try one of the x clamp fixes I've seen.

cedric69

GaryD said:
Mine just crapped out with 3 red rings. I hadn't even gotten into the game, I was just purchasing some songs in GH3, machine crashed with a blue screen with lines across it. Turned it back on and was greated by the 3 rings :lol

This machine is under 12 months old I'd say and I only play it once a week if I am lucky.

Not sure whether to bother with MS or just try one of the x clamp fixes I've seen.
??? Why would you void your warranty when you can have a replacement?

big_z

I thought mine red ringed over the weekend but it turned out to be a split second power short. the system sure is sensitive, my pc or tv made it through just the 360 and a couple clocks ate shit.

aaba5c94b460.jpg

blanky said:

I have a question though, Thursday the UPS came to pick it up. Since then I haven't heard anything. Is this normal? Do I just wait for an email from them confirming my xbox is on the way home? (EU based btw)

Got my RRoD'd 360 back yesterday.. Seems to work fine...same goes for all my xbla games.
The service sheet said the problem was with my motherboard, which is now replaced.
God knows if that means my 360 is due for another failure in a year's time!!

To answer your question, keep checking the xbox.com support site for repair-status. Eventually it will say "shipped to customer", and it should give you the UPS tracking number for your return delivery.. Mine took 2weeks in total to be repaired & returned.. Not too bad.

Shinblade

Banned
My Elite bought at the Uk launch (to replace an older model) had NUMEROUS issues...

Unit one:

Took home, rear USB port would not recognise my wifi adaptor... unit replaced by retailer on the day

Unit two:

Right bumper didn't work out of the box, usb cover on faceplate broke off the first time i plugged my play and charge cable in

Unit 3:

Three of the rubber feet fell off the console when i took it out of the box... despite this I kept the system because everything else worked and i couldn't face another trip to the store on the same day.

The retailer latter told me that of 7 elites they had in from the initial batch, 5 were returned.

The same unit RROD In late october.... sent it away for repair and had no issues with the return process... never even switched the damn thing on again though - sold it on ebay and 'jumped out'

I am now very happy with my completely silent PS3 and microsoft have squandered my loayalty to their hardware (i bought both a 360 and Xbox at their respective launches).

Whenever microsoft release another system I will think very long and hard before buying and will certainly not be an early adopter. I don't even have much faith in their hardware revisions given the build quality issues I had with the Elite.

Whatever stick Sony my have had from people about the PS3 none of my mates have had an defects - everyone who i know with a 360 has had the RROD... I may be a sample of one, but my experience has been terrible.

Martial Loh said:
To answer your question, keep checking the xbox.com support site for repair-status. Eventually it will say "shipped to customer", and it should give you the UPS tracking number for your return delivery.. Mine took 2weeks in total to be repaired & returned.. Not too bad.

So was yours actually repaired or is it a refurb? First time I got my refurb it was only at Texas for 2 days.

I hope mine ships out from Texas sooner than that. I don't want my 360 fixed. I want a brand new one :(

blanky

Martial Loh said:
Got my RRoD'd 360 back yesterday.. Seems to work fine...same goes for all my xbla games.
The service sheet said the problem was with my motherboard, which is now replaced.
God knows if that means my 360 is due for another failure in a year's time!!

I looked at the page several times now, but it doesn't even acknowledge I have something in repair. Will I receive an email when they ship it back?

I got a refurb'd 360 back and it's REALLY loud. Sounds like the fans kick on all the time. Tried playing a few games and it's pretty bad.

Should I call and complain? Or will they just say "It's working, isn't it?"

Barrett2

blanky said:

UPS picked mine up, then I got an email from MS saying they had not received it over one week later. Other than that I heard nothing until I got the 360 back exactly one month after UPS picked it up. No communication is the norm..

blanky

lawblob said:
UPS picked mine up, then I got an email from MS saying they had not received it over one week later. Other than that I heard nothing until I got the 360 back exactly one month after UPS picked it up. No communication is the norm..

mmh thanks. Something to look forward to =/

LJ11

whatdidyousay said:
I got a refurb'd 360 back and it's REALLY loud. Sounds like the fans kick on all the time. Tried playing a few games and it's pretty bad.

Should I call and complain? Or will they just say "It's working, isn't it?"

My recent refurb is really loud as well, but it runs much cooler than any of my previous units, the disc drive doesn't make weird grinding noises as well.

LJ11 said:
My recent refurb is really loud as well, but it runs much cooler than any of my previous units, the disc drive doesn't make weird grinding noises as well.

See, that's what I don't get. My unit feels cooler than the previous one but if that's the case, then why are the fans kicking on? Hmm, or is it the drive that's loud?

LJ11

whatdidyousay said:
See, that's what I don't get. My unit feels cooler than the previous one but if that's the case, then why are the fans kicking on? Hmm, or is it the drive that's loud?

It's probably a combination of both, but the drive really amplifies the noise. When I play arcade games, it's not really noticeable. Disk based games kick everything into high gear and it's pretty noisy, but the drive is probably the main culprit.

LJ11 said:
It's probably a combination of both, but the drive really amplifies the noise. When I play arcade games, it's not really noticeable. Disk based games kick everything into high gear and it's pretty noisy, but the drive is probably the main culprit.

Christ, Msoft is starting to annoy me. I'm tempted to call and complain and try to get a "newer" unit, but those COD4 maps are coming soon. I'm also tempted to just buy an Elite and give that a shot, but it looks like Elite owners are coming in here and saying their machines RROD'd too.

whatdidyousay said:
I'm also tempted to just buy an Elite and give that a shot, but it looks like Elite owners are coming in here and saying their machines RROD'd too.
If you're going down the elite route, just make sure it's a falcon elite and not a zephyr. Zephyr revision 360s aren't much better than the originals when it comes to failing.

LJ11

Psychotext said:
If you're going down the elite route, just make sure it's a falcon elite and not a zephyr. Zephyr revision 360s aren't much better than the originals when it comes to failing.

Can he just buy an arcade Falcon, or are those specific to Elites?

LJ11 said:
Can he just buy an arcade Falcon, or are those specific to Elites?
All models have falcon internals now. Just need to make sure you don't pick up old stock (box label will show 175w for falcon machines).

Psychotext said:
All models have falcon internals now. Just need to make sure you don't pick up old stock (box label will show 175w for falcon machines).

Now that's huge to me. I have a wireless controller and hard drive (and can't imagine filling a 120 GB drive), so just getting an Arcade and saving myself a couple hundred bucks is good news. Thanks!

RROD'd. I had been having DVD drive problems for like 6 months or so, and a recurrent video card problem for a month.

Playing Rock Band was a pain, but we still managed. 3 weeks without it? I'm gonna go crrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaazy.

luxi

My norwegian launch unit (2nd dec 05) died (RROD) last week after it had been revived once with the towel trick. Customer support at the store where i bought it is handling things with MS, and i was told it would take "much longer than a month" before i saw my box again. Luckily i've managed to borrow a replacement.

traveler

Not Wario
Dude... I woulda traded him mine (which MS will only repair for $100) to do that with so I could have returned that 360 to get a new one.

Surfheart

Psychotext said:

Oh great. My Zephyr Elite (purchased to replace my RROD Launch unit) has started making horrible grinding fan noises when I first turn it on. If it dies, I'll be jumping out too I think.

Dark Octave said:
My friend's reaction to his 5th or 6th RRoD over the weekend.
Pics of destruction.

I can fully understand that reaction.

Vicious

Alright I have a question.

I have a 360 that's a little over a year old that gives me disc read error problems. It mainly occurs in Rock Band, but anytime a game sits idle for a while and the disc spins down, when it starts spinning up again the 360 usually can't read the disc anymore and I get the error. It's really bad in Rock Band because anytime I play a downloaded song the disc will stop spinning, and after the song ends I get the disc read error when it tries to spin back up again.

Anyway I was thinking about just buying a new system. Specifically, buying an arcade 360 and attaching my HD to it. My question is are there any major differences between the arcade and premium, as far as the hardware is concerned.

edit - although I hope the problem doesn't lie with my HD, and somehow the 360 had a problem reading it.

Dunlop

Vicious said:
edit - although I hope the problem doesn't lie with my HD, and somehow the 360 had a problem reading it.

I doubt it, more than likely the drive. I had the same issue. They were very infrequent but I was still under warrenty so I sent it in.

Doing 14 hours of walking in Assassins Creed and getting one only to have to start over helped that decision :D

Vicious

Alright, so what numbers or whatever should I be looking for on the box to make sure I'm getting the latest version and not old stock?

Also, I was looking at all the different types of drives the 360s have used and it looks like all the new ones have benq drives, which I'm assuming are quality drives. My current drive is a samsung so I want to avoid that like the plague.

Top Bottom