• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigurd isnt even close to the best character in his own game. Ike, Ephiram, Hector...they are the best. Sigurd maybe have been the best lord for his time but thats not saying much when the other lords were weak shits until they got their uber weapons.

People who judge Lords based on power are complete failures. Sigurd, while powerful, is better known for his incredibly story in the first half of the game. That's right. Sigurd is actually more interesting than his own son. He's popular in Japan for a good reason.

And Marth (FE3 version) is actually incredibly balanced. He averages 15 strength out of 20 (before you ask, even promoted units cap strength at 20 so it doesn't matter), but he remains useful all throughout the game, kind of like Eliwood, except, you know... Without a certain overpowered Lord looming over his shoulder.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
KittenMaster said:
People who judge Lords based on power are complete failures. Sigurd, while powerful, is better known for his incredibly story in the first half of the game. That's right. Sigurd is actually more interesting than his own son. He's popular in Japan for a good reason.

And Marth (FE3 version) is actually incredibly balanced. He averages 15 strength out of 20 (before you ask, even promoted units cap strength at 20 so it doesn't matter), but he remains useful all throughout the game, kind of like Eliwood, except, you know... Without a certain overpowered Lord looming over his shoulder.

Umm we were talking from a power and unit by unit basis. I already said FE4 is the best entry quality wise, though I will always prefer 7 do to it being my first FE game and one of the most addictive gaming experiences I've ever had.

However, Sigurd is hardly the best or most useful unit in 4. Ephiram and Ike are in their games (not sure about 10, havent played it) and Hector is considered the best unit in 7 unless you play HHM, in which case Oswin switches with Hector. Still the best lord though

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
KittenMaster said:
I don't care. Lord vs Lord arguments are completely stupid.

No, at least they have some basis in facts and numbers. What you are basing best lord on is complete opinion.

Dreweyes

This is one of my favorite character costumes so far:

mariowario.jpg

Can't wait to give it a spin.

I wanted my post deleted because I was contradicting myself.

I wanted to say, to shoot down Sigurd because Ike is better in terms of combat is a poor opinion, because Sigurd is an incredibly interesting character. Marth is balanced, not weak. Eliwood is seen as poor BECAUSE of his inevitable comparison to Hector and Lyn, despite being balanced and having an interesting relationship.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
KittenMaster said:
I wanted my post deleted because I was contradicting myself.

I wanted to say, to shoot down Sigurd because Ike is better in terms of combat is a poor opinion, because Sigurd is an incredibly interesting character. Marth is balanced, not weak. Eliwood is seen as poor BECAUSE of his inevitable comparison to Hector and Lyn, despite being balanced.

If by balance you mean easily RNG raped in any stat other than Skill, than yes. You need some over powered characters to cover you if the "balanced" characters get ripped by the RNG

RNG raped in anything other than skill? Marth's highest growths are actually HP, Str, and Luck, IIRC (and Skill is runner up). I am definitely sure there is little possible way he will get RNG raped in HP and Luck.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
KittenMaster said:
RNG raped in anything other than skill? Marth's highest growths are actually HP, Str, and Luck, IIRC. I am definitely sure there is little possible way he will get RNG raped in HP and Luck.

I was referring to Eliwood

NeonZ

HK-47 said:
If by balance you mean easily RNG raped in any stat other than Skill, than yes. You need some over powered characters to cover you if the "balanced" characters get ripped by the RNG

Orb fragments/star orb really should fix most RNG problems, unless you're talking about Eliwood. Besides, Marth gets those decent stats without a class change, so he doesn't even require too much experience.

Edit: Too late and you were talking about Eliwood...

Eliwood probably is worse than Marth thanks to lower starting stats, and higher enemy stats, but I only mentioned Eliwood for similarity's sake since Marth is incredibly useful despite requiring assistance to cap his Strength.

Dreweyes

Iam Canadian said:
I visit there fairly frequently, but I never post on their forums.

I've been lurking there ever since they were Earthbound.Net, too. >_>

Nice, so have I.
My name on their is Gamma, I have some fanart on their.
One of them won Fanart Of The Week last December.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Dreweyes said:
Nice, so have I.
My name on their is Gamma, I have some fanart on their.
One of them won Fanart Of The Week last December.

*Checks*

Holy crap! Awesome art, dude!

You wouldn't mind if I...er...borrowed a bit of it for some avatars, would you? :D

All I know, Ike is the freakin' man and I'm loving his chapters in RD. Fact, I got RD to see the old cast. The only people I like in the new cast are Edward, Micaiah, and Nolan for fighting power.

Nolan and Edwards are gay, I think. Since we are talking about weird relationships.

Going through my section. Been through 1500 posts, which covers less than 20 hours. I need a break.

Tomorrow? I predict the Electroplankton level.

Jiggy

I predict the Data page and the long-awaited explanation of the soccer ball.

The Great Smash Bros. Dojo Thread Quote Hunt

Posts 1-2,500: scottnak
Posts 2,501-5,000: Jiggy37
Posts 5,001-7,500:
Posts 7,501-10,000:
Posts 10,001-12,500: Danthrax
Posts 12,501-15,000: scottnak
Posts 15,001-17,500: Syth_Blade22
Posts 17,501-20,000: Iam Canadian
Posts 20,001-22,500: Man God
Posts 22,501-25,000: RoboPlato
Posts 25,001-27,500: Keru_Shiri
Posts 27,501-30,000: crowphoenix (1500/2500 down)
Posts 30,001-32,500: Cerebral Assassin
Posts 32,501-35,000: NickP786
Posts 35,001-37,500: Fenix
Posts 37,501-40,000: possibly reserved for Iam Canadian?
Posts 40,001-42,500: Guled
Posts 42,501-45,000: dude
Posts 45,001-47,500:
Posts 47,501-50,000:
Posts 50,001-52,500:
Posts 52,501-55,000:
Posts 55,001-57,500: Jiggy37
Posts 57,501-60,000: Jiggy37

Jiggy, the fact that you've done so much compiling in so little time is both frightening and amazing. You are sleeping right? And I wish my section is all about Sonic and 3rd party members and yay Sonic. The excitement is wearing me out again.

Jiggy

I just skim really fast. >_> It might have led me to overlook some stuff, actually, but that's okay because the whole reason to get bunches of people in on this is that they all have different approaches to how they'll find quotes, and different perspectives on what's worth saving for posterity, so we'll get a good variety of people and a quilt patchwork summary of the thread as a whole. :D

Iam Canadian

Hopefully I'll have my section done by Friday at the latest. Class and work are conspiring against me, but I shall prevail.

KevinCow said:
Holy shit, this thread's still alive?

Welcome back. There are still dojo updates and the chronicling our or adventures in the dojo thread to be done.

Dang, Jiggy. I'm being extremely thorough. I'm already at 4 pages in a word doc. :lol

Jiggy

I only pulled four pages out of my 5,000 posts. >_> Maybe we just slowed down in saying interesting stuff toward the end or were repeating ourselves more often? I don't know.

Edit:
In fairness, I did often cram related posts into one section. Examples:
sp0rsk is the second casualty of the wait, as called by OliveJuice and TreIII, and he was only waiting for the Japanese game! Nonetheless, he becomes compelled to post ASCII art of Opoona all over the thread, absolutely everywhere. However, later, when he gets the game, he seems very happy.

The third casualty of the wait! Post 58518 chronicles Crushed’s fevered demand for sp0rsk to get hold of Brawl.

Fourth casualty! In post 58533 TreIII snaps at last.

Post 58542, Post 58544, and Post 58548 – In light of all the bodies on Page 1171 in the last couple of hours before the game’s release, mCACGj, Lobster, and Jiggy analyze Sakurai’s time- and space-transcending powers.
Oh, hey. :( KittenMaster's funny picture of sp0rsk's face on Tingle is down. Hopefully that's just a temporary situation.

Jiggy

scottnak said:
Hey Jiggy, I'm willing to take the first 2500 of this thread!
You got it. Word of caution that it might be really boring, though; I didn't dare touch them because they're so early... >_> The only updates within that timeframe were these:

The Musicians + Battlefield + The Basic Rules
Mario + Link
Gooey Bomb
Pit

Pit: Special Moves
What is a Final Smash? + Mario: Final Smash
Moving and Shooting
Cracker Launcher
Delfino Plaza

Yoshi’s Story: Ending

Come to think of it, I wonder what exactly happened in that 2,501-5,000 selection I took for myself. :eek:
What are Poke Balls? + Groudon
You must recover!
Kirby + Pikachu
Four Kinds of Control

Fox
Yoshi’s Island
Metroid: Boss Battle Music (Ridley Fight)
Crates and Barrels
Samus

Link: Final Smash
Pikachu: Final Smash
Wario
Fox: Special Moves
Lylat Cruise
Hmm. Not horrible, I guess; maybe there'll be some controller debate in there. I sure hope so, anyway!
I also catch the very beginning of the furious back-and-forths about whether Sheik had been replaced by Zero Suit Samus, so whoever takes posts 5,001-7,500 will get to comb through that hilarity. :lol I only ask that you do one thing: quote me on what I said in post 5004:

Jiggy37 said:
Regarding the hair color thing, I hope Zelda has a blonde alternate just to mess with all of you who think one or the other should be canonical. :p

Iam Canadian

I get some awesome updates to work with. Munchlax (for the hilarity), Lyn (for the Zeed-related hilarity), Ice Climbers (for the bitter tears), and WiFi (for the megatonness).

Unfortunately, guys, I won't be able to stay up for tonight's update. So have a good night. I'm predicting the intro video. I'll see in the morning if I was right or not.

scottnak

Iam Canadian said:
I get some awesome updates to work with. Munchlax (for the hilarity), Lyn (for the Zeed-related hilarity), Ice Climbers (for the bitter tears), and WiFi (for the megatonness).

Unfortunately, guys, I won't be able to stay up for tonight's update. So have a good night. I'm predicting the intro video. I'll see in the morning if I was right or not.
Oh zeed. The last few pages of my first section were pretty much all about Zeed complaining with another person about something. Eventually degrading into namecalling. Kinda got sick of it at the end... haha...

And... moving + shooting sounds like a good spawn of bitter tears for a bad update...

Penguin

Come on Green Hill Zone and/or Luigi.

honestly, I have to get it right sooner or later.

If not guessing another llook at gameplaay features.

Scribble

scottnak said:
Oh zeed. The last few pages of my first section were pretty much all about Zeed complaining with another person about something. Eventually degrading into namecalling. Kinda got sick of it at the end... haha...

:lol

Zeed

Banned
I do believe someone in the vicinity called my name.

What's going on? I've been too busy arguing politics in the OT to keep up.

Whoa, Iam Canadian passed me in posts! Good job, that puts me at #3. :lol

Insaniac

holy shit at update

Official, wavedashing and such discouraged by Sakurai :lol

kidding obviously

Pivot Grabs sounds very useful. Stale-move negation sounds pretty useful, I guess it'll keep me from spamming Super Missiles on FD during a 4p brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom