• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on Call of Duty 5: World at War revealed...it's not COD 6 :(

Source: http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/1298/first-details-on-call-of-duty-5-world-at-war-revealed

The first details on Call of Duty 5: World at War have been revealed by a UK magazine called gamesTM. The issue which was published today claims that the game is going to be grittier, have scarier enemies with new tactics and contain co-op modes.

“There will be co-op for the first time in a Call of Duty. Also there will be vehicles and squad-based elements to the multiplayer. Formats: PC, PS3, 360 and Wii. The Wii version is being worked on by a separate team within Treyarch. (The mag) reckons it’ll be a much closer comparison between the next-gen and Wii versions than any other Wii game on the market.

PlayTM magazine also stats that Call of Duty 5 is set in the Pacific part of WWII.

NotWii

Banned
Japanese soldiers are more scary?!
RACIST!

To be honest, I like this direction, just wish Treyarch wasn't making it.

lexi

Banned
Taking the series back to WWII is the stupidest fucking thing I have EVER witnessed. COD4 sells gangbusters and they're taking the game back to the stone age?

Kibbles

New Info - http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/0...part-from-psp/
The subs issue of this month’s gamesTM has revealed a wealth of information on the now-announced Call of Duty: World at War, the final name for Treyarch’s Call of Duty 5.

From VG247 reader evilashchris, reading from the UK mag: “Right, apparently it’s going to be grittier, as gritty as ANY game out there to quote. The enemy will be scarier and use new tactics.

“There will be co-op for the first time in a Call of Duty. Also there will be vehicles and squad-based elements to the multiplayer. Formats: PC, PS3, 360 and Wii. The Wii version is being worked on by a separate team within Treyarch. [The mag] reckons it’ll be a much closer comparison between the next-gen and Wii versions than any other Wii game on the market.

“Jeez, they have the CoD4 engine running on the Wii apparently. They are using [the CoD4 engine] for all the next-gen ones too. The Wii Zapper will be supported.

“Also, this is how gritty it is: ‘The opening scene of the first level we are shown is a Japanese commander stubbing a cigarette out in the eye of a prisoner before slitting his throat - the blood splatters and dribbles down the side of the tent you are being held in. He turns towards you to deal out the same treatment but help arrives just in time. Cue a daring level-long escape.’”

As is now known, the game will be set in the Pacific theatre of World War II.

Another link to StrategyInformer from Bobby

“Jeez, they have the CoD4 engine running on the Wii apparently. They are using (the CoD4 engine) for all the next-gen ones too. The Wii Zapper will be supported.”

Sure they do.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hopefully it'll have decent singleplayer gameplay unlike COD4.

Whoever invented the "have enemies respawn infinitely until the player crosses an invisible line" should be shot. Repeatedly.

legend166

CoD 4 engine running on Wii?

Say whaaaat?

Of course it's going to be an obvious downgrade, that's a good achievement, no?

lockii said:
Taking the series back to WWII is the stupidest fucking thing I have EVER witnessed. COD4 sells gangbusters and they're taking the game back to the stone age?

I remember reading that Activision didn't have a clue of how big CoD4 would be and CoD5's development was already off and running by the time they found out. There was nothing they could really do about it.

Activision has the biggest FPS franchise in the industry right now and they're gonna fucking milk it dry.

There goes my COD4 re-purchase.

Espio

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=190547

The first details of Call of Duty: World at War have been revealed, plucked straight from the pages of Xbox 360: The Official Magazine (#35), which is dropping through subscribers' letterboxes right now.

The fifth game in the CoD series, which is being developed by CoD3 studio Treyarch, ditches the number subtitle and expectedly returns to WWII - but the developer stresses it's not the same theatre we've seen a million times before.

It all takes place in the Pacific theatre (and partially in Russia's advance into Berlin) says OXM, which all in all was a much grittier and darker conflict that the one in muddy Belgium fields.

Treyarch has had a full extra year over CoD3's development to make World at War - and it's using the excellent CoD4 engine, which is plenty of reason to be excited.

"This is a scarier Call of Duty than we've ever seen," Treyarch head Mark Lamir says in the mag.

To help simulate the Japanese's different style of warfare, Treyarch has completely re-tinkered the enemy AI in World at War. Instead of taking cover and flanking in traditional European battle strategies, the Japanese hide in trees, sneak through the overgrowth and scrabble, katana in hand in violent suicide attacks.

"We figured out early that the Imperial Japanese fought in a different way that was full of suspense," creative lead Rich Farrelly tells OXM. "From that point we started to skew the game in that direction."

Excitingly, for the first time in Call of Duty's campaign 4-player co-op is supported over Xbox Live - and it supports meta game perks as in CoD4's excellent online mode.

You'll find loads more details and first screens in issue 35, in the shops Friday June 13 (but in subscribers' hands now).

Yoboman

BlockBastard said:
Activision has the biggest FPS franchise in the industry right now and they're gonna fucking milk it dry.

There goes my COD4 re-purchase.
Activision would never do such a thing

fresquito

Visualante said:
Another link to StrategyInformer from Bobby

“Jeez, they have the CoD4 engine running on the Wii apparently. They are using (the CoD4 engine) for all the next-gen ones too. The Wii Zapper will be supported.”

Sure they do.
They can, which doesn't mean in any way it will look anything close to CoD4. But there're good scalable engines.

Yoboman

"We figured out early that the Imperial Japanese fought in a different way that was full of suspense," creative lead Rich Farrelly tells OXM. "From that point we started to skew the game in that direction."
God this sounds childish

Busty

Banned
Also, this is how gritty it is: ‘The opening scene of the first level we are shown is a Japanese commander stubbing a cigarette out in the eye of a prisoner before slitting his throat - the blood splatters and dribbles down the side of the tent you are being held in. He turns towards you to deal out the same treatment but help arrives just in time. Cue a daring level-long escape.

Oh well. It won't be a patch on COD4, but at least George Takei wil get some work out of it.

fresquito said:
They can, which doesn't mean in any way it will look anything close to CoD4. But there're good scalable engines.
What's the point when the art assets don't scale well? I look forward to appreciating the vehicle phsyics whilst I'm steering with the Wii Zapper.

This is something developers say when they don't want Wii gamers to feel like second class citizens, and how often has a developer delivered? Tomb Raider Anniversary?

Aurelius

Not interested. Although the Japanese make ideal enemies for the Call of Duty series. Suicidal charges can be labelled as “historical correct” instead of bad A.I.

The only thing that could interest me in a WW2 Call of Duty is if you could play the game from the German point of view.

fresquito

Visualante said:
What's the point when the art assets don't scale well? I look forward to appreciating the vehicle phsyics whilst I'm steering with the Wii Zapper.
Well, we will see how well they scale, don't we? I mean, anyone believing this will look anything close to CoD4 is stupid, but it doesn't mean they can't adapt or scale the art assets. It's not like the Wii can't do a good job if the effort is put into it.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
COD5 being set in WWII and the pacific isn't exactly news. As far as WWII-games go, it's kind of an interesting setting since it isn't being used that often. But then again, there are like a billion WWII-games and it's getting kind of repetitive, and with COD3 in mind.. Well, it's gonna have a tough time winning the COD4-crowd over, I'd say.

Amarox

Aurelius said:
The only thing that could interest me in a WW2 Call of Duty is if you could play the game from the German point of view.
In single player? That's never going to happen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
fresquito said:
Deep down, the CoD4 engine has its roots in the Quake 3 engine, so I'm not surprised that they were able to use the engine on the Wii.

VAIL

Why do I get the feeling this will be visually stunning on the Wii but will suck and it'll be ignored anyway

They should split up Modern Warfare into a completley diffrent franchise, just so people know which one is the better one to buy, rather than have CoD5 being a continuation from CoD4, whch obviously, it isn't.

I want Modern Warefare 2.

Troidal

If they can integrate the rank/xp system into the SP campaign like Rainbow Six Vegas 2, that would be awesome. And co-op definitely sounds awesome. Now I just hope it's good...cuz I'm sick of WWII games.

PnCIa

I don´t want to expect too much, but maybe this is MoH: Pacific Assault done right?
Oh, and someone should make a Vietnam war game with the production values from CoD4 :D

Aurelius

Amarox said:
In single player? That's never going to happen.
I know. It’s too politically incorrect.

Although there are more and more books and a couple of movies describing the German experience in WW2, game developers seem reluctant to add the Germans as a playable faction in anything besides RTS-games. It’s not that I am asking to have to guard a concentration camp or something like that. But it would be interesting to play WW2 campaigns from the point of view of the Waffen SS for example. As the führer’s “fire brigade” they were always rushed to the most critical points of the Eastern and Western front and expected to hold out against the most overwhelming odds. Sounds like an ideal setting to a game for me. Especially since I’m a WW2 history buff.

bigswords

Wax Free Vanilla said:
the game will be better than any cod infinity ward have made.

looking forward to playing the co-op mode, treyarch :rock

The fuck? First you said Haze is better then BFBC. Next you are saying that Infinity wards are suckier then Treyarch? Are you bat shit insane or are you just looking to be banned just to be locked out of MGS4 news?

COD3 MP was ok, but SP was terrible compared to COD4.

Top Bottom