• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on Call of Duty 5: World at War revealed...it's not COD 6 :(

Choabac

PC? That's interesting. They didn't bring CoD 3 to the PC. I thought only IW were interested in developing for that market.

tHoMNZ

cod5 on wii, first look:

shot0004uj4.jpg

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
nofi said:
I'm going to start spamming the shit out of my site, too.

There needs to be some firm rules on this shit. I'm sick of people like BlimBlim and Chris Kohler (no offense to you guys) being able to advertise their sites but others get lambasted for throwing out links.

acm2000

if this has more of a single player game than CoD4, then i will be interested, still havent played CoD4 due to having little interest in the multi

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Aurelius said:
That doesn't look like the Pacific?

That's because it's COD4, from (I assume) a low end PC or something.

(The picture is from a MP-map named Overgrown).

Well CoD3 sucked pretty bad, so it makes sense to just complain about this game as well. But well, they ARE using the CoD4 engine. They've had some practice as well, so maybe this time, they won't fuck up? (leave the vehicles out of the multiplayer PLEASE :/ )

nofi

McBacon said:
There needs to be some firm rules on this shit. I'm sick of people like BlimBlim and Chris Kohler (no offense to you guys) being able to advertise their sites but others get lambasted for throwing out links.

Yep. We've all got blogs and so forth we want to push, but it disgusts me when people no NOTHING but post links to their site. Grr.

batbeg

nofi said:
Yep. We've all got blogs and so forth we want to push, but it disgusts me when people no NOTHING but post links to their site. Grr.

I think it's more to do with over half of the OPs posts (posts, not just threads) are new threads with links to strategyinformer and PSU. It's kind of insane. Insaaaane.

bigswords said:
The fuck? First you said Haze is better then BFBC. Next you are saying that Infinity wards are suckier then Treyarch? Are you bat shit insane or are you just looking to be banned just to be locked out of MGS4 news?

COD3 MP was ok, but SP was terrible compared to COD4.

no i'm not batshit insane.

and the haze demo was better than battlefield one for the reasons i listed in the other thread.

and what makes infinity ward better? they haven't tried to improve the gameplay and ai of cod over the three games they've done. it's been the same shit in a different environment.

i for one will welcome the new co-op gameplay and improved enemy ai from treyarch. :bow

oh and cod 3 single player >>> cod4's

Visualante said:
Another link to StrategyInformer from Bobby

“Jeez, they have the CoD4 engine running on the Wii apparently. They are using (the CoD4 engine) for all the next-gen ones too. The Wii Zapper will be supported.”

Sure they do.
Well it is basically the Quake 3 engine at heart. Turn all the fancy graphics down on the PC version and it looks like something you might have been playing back in 2004... or on the Wii.

Wow am I beaten on this observation...

nofi

batbeg said:
I think it's more to do with over half of the OPs posts (posts, not just threads) are new threads with links to strategyinformer and PSU. It's kind of insane. Insaaaane.

It's totally off topic now but yeah, there needs to be a forum policy on this, I'm sick of this shit. It's not like SI and PSU are always first for news like this, but no-one else dare pimp their site when they are first. BobbySI makes zero other contributions, even to his own threads.

tHoMNZ

I do suppose that was a trolling attempt in a way. But also, its truth. The wii version of cod5 won't look too dissimilar to that (hopefully it doesn't run at 5fps though).

nofi said:

Yep, I propose a new rule. For each post to your own site, you need to post one lttp thread(preferably BG&E), one girl(boy) thread and lastly one thinly veiled troll thread against a system of your choice.(not snes)

Jord

lockii said:
Taking the series back to WWII is the stupidest fucking thing I have EVER witnessed. COD4 sells gangbusters and they're taking the game back to the stone age?

Exactly, I totally agree with this. I really can't get my head round why they are doing this.

Aurelius

More info from OXM magazine.
“Right, apparently it’s going to be grittier, as gritty as ANY game out there to quote. The enemy will be scarier and use new tactics.

“There will be co-op for the first time in a Call of Duty. Also there will be vehicles and squad-based elements to the multiplayer. Formats: PC, PS3, 360 and Wii.

“Also, this is how gritty it is: ‘The opening scene of the first level we are shown is a Japanese commander stubbing a cigarette out in the eye of a prisoner before slitting his throat - the blood splatters and dribbles down the side of the tent you are being held in. He turns towards you to deal out the same treatment but help arrives just in time. Cue a daring level-long escape.’”

It all takes place in the Pacific theatre (and partially in Russia's advance into Berlin) says OXM, which all in all was a much grittier and darker conflict than the one in muddy Belgium fields.

Treyarch has had a full extra year over CoD3's development to make World at War - and it's using the excellent CoD4 engine, which is plenty of reason to be excited..

To help simulate the Japanese's different style of warfare, Treyarch has completely re-tinkered the enemy AI in World at War. Instead of taking cover and flanking in traditional European battle strategies, the Japanese hide in trees, sneak through the overgrowth and scrabble, katana in hand in violent suicide attacks.

Excitingly, for the first time in Call of Duty's campaign 4-player co-op is supported over Xbox Live - and it supports meta game perks as in CoD4's excellent online mode.

Yoboman

Jord said:
Exactly, I totally agree with this. I really can't get my head round why they are doing this.
Modern Warfare is hardly compellingly fresh either. At least leave it to IW to come up with whatever the next MW will be like

squicken

CoD3 was a complete rush job that Treyarch had to have out for Christmas. They've had a full 2 years on this one. I am actually optimistic. No game has done the Pacific Theater of WWII well, and I don't think Big Read One or CoD3 were terrible or anything.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Scans look alright; snipers tied to trees, swimming through a turgid lake, use a flamethrower on a truck. I doubt it will be a scratch on COD4, but I'm sure it will be cool.

amar212

It looks great in motion.

It's using "2nd-gen" COD4 engine.

Multiplayer is the same engine, together with Perks (optimised for WW2 setting), Xp points and everything else.

There are FLAMETHROWERS, and they look bloody fantastic in motion. Graphic-whores will be amased when they see that fire is actually spreading from trees to grass (or vice versa) depending of the wind.

Graphics are COD4 on amphetamine - lightning is God-damn fantastic.

Sound is awsome.

Co-op online will be amazing ans it looks great in motion too.

Game is shipping this fall, comfirmed - they've already have the date but they still can't communicate it. From what I've seen, single player looks pretty-much finished.

You'll love film-sequnces between chapters - they're done in "Kingdom" movie way, everybody who remember opening sequence from the movie will have the idea.

In total - Treyarch guys did an amazing job, and they can surely hope that Call of Duty: World of War will be a great beggining of the new franchise. GOTY pretty much confirmed.

Oh, and one more detail:

Besides Pacific, game has another setting, just like COD4 has 2 settings - 2nd is Mother Russia, with story around Russain solider(s) in their way from Stalingrad to Berlin.

So, have your wallets prepared, this one is going to be hugeawsomness.

Busty

Banned
amar212 said:

Multiplayer is the same engine, together with Perks (optimised for WW2 setting), Xp points and everything else.

There are FLAMETHROWERS, and they look bloody fantastic in motion. Graphic-whores will be amased when they see that fire is actually spreading from trees to grass (or vice versa) depending of the wind.

Sound is awsome.

Game is shipping this fall, comfirmed - they've already have the date but they still can't communicate it. From what I've seen, single player looks pretty-much finished.

You'll love film-sequnces between chapters - they're done in "Kingdom" movie way, everybody who remember opening sequence from the movie will have the idea.

That all sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the fair and balanced....

amar212 said:
In total - Treyarch guys did an amazing job, and they can surely hope that Call of Duty: World of War will be a great beggining of the new franchise. GOTY pretty much confirmed.

Oh dear...

amar212 said:

If it was 'gigawesomeness' then maybe. But hugeawsomness?

Passssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Yoboman

amar212 said:

Sound is awsome.

Oh, and one more detail:

Besides Pacific, game has another setting, just like COD4 has 2 settings - 2nd is Mother Russia, with story around Russain solider(s) in their way from Stalingrad to Berlin.

What factions do you play as in the Pacific?

wsippel

Banned
amar212 said:

Sound is awsome.

Oh, and one more detail:

And let me guess: The Wii version is completely dumbed down and looks like shit?

amar212

In Pacific you play as US solider(s), saved from the japanese prison-camp.

And I didn't see Wii version at all, I only saw game running on 360 dev. But Treyarch guys pretty much promised that Wii version will be great in terms of graphic - and that it will use same engine, only downgraded.

Yoboman

amar212 said:
In Pacific you play as US solider(s), saved from the japanese prison-camp.

And I didn't see Wii version at all, I only saw game running on 360 dev. But Treyarch guys pretty much promised that Wii version will be great in terms of graphic - and that it will use same engine, only downgraded.
Only two factions? In the Pacific but no Australian campaign?

Interest subtracted by 10,000

amar212

Yoboman said:

I can't confirm you that one, since the details were pretty much guarded. I tell only what I know for sure though.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Yoboman said:

Why would playing as an australian even be remotely interesting? It'd be all like "Crikey, a grenade" and you run around in shorts and flat helmets ;)

Wouldn't it make marketing sense if Activision just abandoned the incremental numbering like they're doing with Guitar Hero?

lexi

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Why would playing as an australian even be remotely interesting? It'd be all like "Crikey, a grenade" and you run around in shorts and flat helmets ;)

Well technically if it was historically accurate they'd have way less ammo to work with. WW2 survival horror?

Top Bottom