• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on Call of Duty 5: World at War revealed...it's not COD 6 :(

amar212

_dementia said:
Wouldn't it make marketing sense if Activision just abandoned the incremental numbering like they're doing with Guitar Hero?

In fact, they did exactly the same.

Game will be called "Call of Duty: World in War", and it will be a new name for all future WW2 games franchise in CoD universe.

Another franchise will be "Modern Warfare".

No more numbering, at least that was told. OP will eventualy be changed oneday.

As for showing, I have no idea. Game is scheduled for "this fall" but since Activision will not be at E3 if I remeber well, there is probably going to be some huge announcmenet event at some point.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Co-op with the current model? I'm in. I believe Treyarch can deliver
me a pizza with 3 toppings in under a half hour?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
. I will buy this!

todahawk

i think there's going to be a HUGE spike in sales numbers for COD5 from COD3 (treyarch) just due to the general confusion amongst which team created which game.

then they'll lose the cod4 crowd and cod6 will be back to form for IW.

EDIT! (that takes care of the issue above)
amar212 said:

Game will be called "Call of Duty: World in War", and it will be a new name for all future WW2 games franchise in CoD universe.

I agree about the cod4 single player waves of infinite enemies, in particular the mission where you get to the barn after fighting through the ruined little town. I sat in the barn with a rocket launcher and then had to keep swapping out for different guns as I kept running out of ammo before I realized they're never going to stop and i best just get to the damn objective.

amar212 said:
I can't confirm you that one, since the details were pretty much guarded. I tell only what I know for sure though.
When you say "single player looks pretty-much finished." what do you mean?

The campaign is completely roughed in? Visually? How it plays? I find it so hard to believe that all they have left to do is multiplayer.

Busty

Banned
amar212 said:
As for showing, I have no idea. Game is scheduled for "this fall" but since Activision will not be at E3 if I remeber well, there is probably going to be some huge announcmenet event at some point.

Wasn't there a rumour that Activision were going to have their own equivalent of Ubidays this year around E3 rather than taking part in the 'proper' event?

Dyno

I was sceptical on this one, that Treyarch cannot make a game as well as Infinity Ward.

But co-op has me interested and a WWII version of the multiplayer would be cool.

So now I'm waiting for screens.

Luckyman

Banned
Someone said this isn't coming until February..

Battlefield style game with COD4 engine at 60fps would be instant win. BFBC has some major issues. :/

Yoboman

ItsInMyVeins said:
No, but seriously, what would it actually do for the game?
It'd help stop it from being an "America is so great" shitfest for one. Second, provide some great land-based warfare material, which is scarce if you're going to go with an American campaign. Considering a lot of America's victories came from naval warfare (though there's some good stuff for America in the landings on Japanese islands).

I suppose they'll also leave out Chinese and Indian involvements too. ;)

Norml

amar212 said:
It looks great in motion.

It's using "2nd-gen" COD4 engine.

Multiplayer is the same engine, together with Perks (optimised for WW2 setting), Xp points and everything else.

There are FLAMETHROWERS, and they look bloody fantastic in motion. Graphic-whores will be amased when they see that fire is actually spreading from trees to grass (or vice versa) depending of the wind.

Graphics are COD4 on amphetamine - lightning is God-damn fantastic.

Sound is awsome.

Co-op online will be amazing ans it looks great in motion too.

Game is shipping this fall, comfirmed - they've already have the date but they still can't communicate it. From what I've seen, single player looks pretty-much finished.

You'll love film-sequnces between chapters - they're done in "Kingdom" movie way, everybody who remember opening sequence from the movie will have the idea.

In total - Treyarch guys did an amazing job, and they can surely hope that Call of Duty: World of War will be a great beggining of the new franchise. GOTY pretty much confirmed.

Oh, and one more detail:

Besides Pacific, game has another setting, just like COD4 has 2 settings - 2nd is Mother Russia, with story around Russain solider(s) in their way from Stalingrad to Berlin.

So, have your wallets prepared, this one is going to be hugeawsomness.

I'm glad Treyarch kept vehicles as I liked CoD3 better mostly because of that.Co-op is great news:DI have no doubt this game will look real good because CoD3 tops CoD4 in places like smoke, textures and has moving foliage.

Activision is made of apes, they are really fucking stupid, I can understand cashing in on the franchise right away, but they are really hurting it for the long run.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Yoboman said:
It'd help stop it from being an "America is so great" shitfest for one. Second, provide some great land-based warfare material, which is scarce if you're going to go with an American campaign. Considering a lot of America's victories came from naval warfare (though there's some good stuff for America in the landings on Japanese islands).

I suppose they'll also leave out Chinese and Indian involvements too. ;)

I'm kind of assuming that most of the fighting will be done on japanese islands and not naval battles, even if you're playing as an american.

Aurelius said:
The only thing that could interest me in a WW2 Call of Duty is if you could play the game from the German point of view.

Not in a thousand years.

And again: I thought that WW1 would be quite interesting. And there you could play as a soldiers of the Central Powers and the Entente!

Hixx

Just finished reading the GamesTM article. Like... well, pretty much everyone, I too was skeptical of CoD5 as I didn't really enjoy CoD3's single player but this has made me much more optimistic. The multiplayer sounds more interesting (some destructible buildings, the '5 second rule' and squadleader perks) too.

Looking forward to it now... I don't expect it to be better than CoD4 but atleast I have a bit of faith that it won't be as boring as CoD3. Co-op will go a long way to doing that regardless :D

Yoboman

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm kind of assuming that most of the fighting will be done on japanese islands and not naval battles, even if you're playing as an american.
The war took place over most of Asia, secluding it to just the American involvement is my problem with it

fresquito

Why can't publishers/devs talk in detail about the Wii features? You know, it's not like only two or three of us have a fucking Wii. I just hate trying to figure out what features will be taken out from the Wii build.

well, if the Wii version looks about 1/3 as good as the others I might think about a purchase if they nail the control scheme

MOH2 was atrocious looking, so..

Kydd BlaZe

Ugh...IW needs to obtain sole ownership of the franchise. However, I am intrigued at the prospect of 4 player co-op. This could be Treyarch's best game yet. Will wait til E3 to see what the game is looking like.

itsinmyveins

Yoboman said:
The war took place over most of Asia, secluding it to just the American involvement is my problem with it

Well, it depends. Of course it's gonna be cheesy if it's the typical american hero and yada yada, but slapping an Australian flag on the soldier and doing nothing else isn't really a significant change at all.

User2k

Do NOT want WWII. I won't be buying this, no matter how good it is. I hate WWII games. Worst decision ever.

einhard

ItsInMyVeins said:
No, but seriously, what would it actually do for the game?
What. You are saying that an Australian campaign would be boring? Or are you saying you don't know anything about Australian military history?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
fresquito said:
Why can't publishers/devs talk in detail about the Wii features? You know, it's not like only two or three of us have a fucking Wii. I just hate trying to figure out what features will be taken out from the Wii build.

“The Wii version will not look anywhere near as good, have no multiplayer, no co-op and the Japanese have been replaced with an anonymous katana weilding, straw hat-wearing asian race” is not the most alluring press release.

I was ready to say that this will be my first CoD purchase ever until I read "WWII" and "Tryarch".

So I guess They're going to continue to leapfrog games between companies every release. The good one, the not so good one, the good one, the not so good one, wash, rense, repeat...

Guess I'll wait for CoD6 by Infinity Ward.

itsinmyveins

einhard said:
What. You are saying that an Australian campaign would be boring? Or are you saying you don't know anything about Australian military history?

Read my last post.

I don't know anything about Australian military history, and I'm not saying it'd be boring. I'm just not seeing the point of pushing for an Australian "view" if this mainly entails the soldier speaking with a dialect. If it brings something to the game, then fine -- I'm all for it.

Yoboman

ItsInMyVeins said:
Well, it depends. Of course it's gonna be cheesy if it's the typical american hero and yada yada, but slapping an Australian flag on the soldier and doing nothing else isn't really a significant change at all.
There's plenty of material for an Australian campaign. They could show both the struggling against all odds at the beginning of the war, which would fit with their "horror of war" theme and the victories by Australia towards the end. It'd be better than shoe-horning in an invasion of Berlin which they've done already and has nothing to do with the Pacific theater. Or, as I said before, something to do with the Chinese.

jrricky

Banned
BlockBastard said:
Activision has the biggest FPS franchise in the industry right now and they're gonna fucking milk it dry.

There goes my COD4 re-purchase.
:lol You do realize that there is a call of duty 4. Which probably means it is being milked ever since 3.

Oh, and Ill laugh my ass off if you same people who are despising the game (without knowing nothing about gameplay and graphics I might add, superpapermario-gameshaventplayed.gif) turn around loving the game later.

itsinmyveins

Yoboman said:
There's plenty of material for an Australian campaign. It'd be better than shoe-horning in an invasion of Berlin which they've done already and has nothing to do with the Pacific theater. Or, as I said before, something to do with the Chinese.

Maybe there is, but that's assuming they're actually using any of that material. It'd be great if they did take up a bunch of more unusual points of views as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, the whole invasion of Berlin sounds really old.

einhard said:

I'm not that into military history, nor am I saying Australia is lacking one.

Ydahs

I thought it was also coming out on PS2.

Screens look really good. If Wii version looks decent, has MoHH2 style controls, online support and good ratings I might get it.

Aurelius

Yoboman said:
There's plenty of material for an Australian campaign. They could show both the struggling against all odds at the beginning of the war, which would fit with their "horror of war" theme and the victories by Australia towards the end. It'd be better than shoe-horning in an invasion of Berlin which they've done already and has nothing to do with the Pacific theater. Or, as I said before, something to do with the Chinese.
The Russian campaign sounds really out of place. A more logical campaign would have been a campaign in Birma. You could play as a Britisch commando tasked with blowing up the bridge over the river Kwai. Or the Chinese - Japanese war which was being fought way before the official start of WW2.

Lots of possibilities.

einhard

Aurelius said:
The Russian campaign sound really out of place. An even more logical campaign would have been a campaign in Birma. You could play a Britisch commando tasked with blowing up the bridge over the river Kwai.
Thats a movie mate, it never actually happened.

jrricky said:
:lol You do realize that there is a call of duty 4. Which probably means it is being milked ever since 3.

Oh, and Ill laugh my ass off if you same people who are despising the game (without knowing nothing about gameplay and graphics I might add, superpapermario-gameshaventplayed.gif) turn around loving the game later.

Yeah, I totally "despise" the game. I just don't feel like supporting games with yearly installments - specially MP focused ones. I'll happily admit the game is good if it does turn out to be. After all, these are the same amazing people behind Call of Duty 3 and Spiderman 3.

Aurelius

einhard said:
Thats a movie mate, it never actually happened.
Liked that stopped the developers of the Call of Duty games before. I’ve already played the opening of Enemy at the Gates and Saving Private Ryan (twice)! :lol

einhard

Vormund said:
If they were to do an Australian campaign, it should be based on New Guinea campaign. Since it was actually Australian territory at the time.
"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army."

ItsInMyVeins said:
Read my last post.

I don't know anything about Australian military history, and I'm not saying it'd be boring. I'm just not seeing the point of pushing for an Australian "view" if this mainly entails the soldier speaking with a dialect. If it brings something to the game, then fine -- I'm all for it.
I don't know anything about the Austrailian version of the war either but it was another side of a war that has been milked dry from an American and European perspective none the less. I don't see why there needs to be a "reason" for an Austrailian story, other than the fact that they fought in the war too. I also don't see why it would have to bring anything new, other than what a sequel naturally provides over the last game.

If they want to make an Austrailian WWII story, there is plenty of room and reason for it, imo.

Geoff9920

amar212 said:

So Activision going to call this "Call of Duty: World at War" and drop the "5" from the title? Where did you read this?

Sean

Banned
just read through the article, they are doing some interesting things. here's a quick summary.

Gameplay
- Flamethrower has propagating fire (like Far Cry 2). It's design and handling is based on Return to Castle Wolfenstein, they have the lead level designer from RTCW helping. It melts enemies skin off.
- Can shoot through cover (think Battlefield: Bad Company): "with enough bullets, the player causes enough damage to one of the walls to create a hole big enough to walk through"
- You can swim for the first time in the series (both SP and MP). You can not sprint and only walk half-speed while in water.
- Ropes hang dead POWs from trees which you can shoot down.
- Certain vehicles have entire levels dedicated to them, "most notably the PBY Catalina search and rescue plane and a dramatic aerial raid on some Japanese aircraft carriers"

Co-op
- 4 player co-op online, or two-player co-op via split screen.
- Co-op is identical to SP game
- Includes a "metagame" scoring system - you are constantly earning points which can be used to unlock special co-op perks OR you can transfer those points earned over to MP and unlock perks/weapons there instead.
- One scenario demoed involves a player attracting attention of a tank while the other climbs on top and throws a grenade in the hatch.

Multiplayer:
- 16 players online
- Vehicles. In MP there are vehicle-specific levels and game types meaning people can ignore them if they want.
- Has COD4's perk system "keeping some of the most relevant and popular ones from COD4" with a selection of new ones too. The perks will be relevant to that time period, so no UAVs or other modern stuff.
- Party leader can issue orders to the team which will place an indicator on other players HUD saying where they're needed.

Development Info:
- Uses CoD4 engine which was enhanced (especially physics wise). Environments are much more destructible. It's possible to burn objects or blow them to pieces. Bodies and objects float in water. Impressive lighting.
- Lead platform is Xbox 360 with separate teams handling each port
- Has a two year development schedule which is more than twice as long as CoD3's 11 month schedule.
- Treyarch built a full-sized skeleton of the PBY Catalina (vehicle) in their motion capture studio.
- They have a military advisor, Frank Kearsey, helping out.
- 96 channels of audio - many of which are ambient jungle noises. Has "real-time occlusion" which means sound coming from behind a wall or building will sound muffled in comparison to a noise in your direct line of vision.

amar212

Well, I could go and say there is plenty of material for nnay WW2 campaign here in Croatia (and ex Yugoslavia respectfully, especially in Bosnia) but I do not expect it to be major inclusion in any WW2 game onward - since nobody would care about that.

There were very important battles fought here, there were 7 great Offensives against Nazi truops, there were some fiercome battles going on, and so on.

But, great markets wouldn't give a shit about that and I understand that.

Z_Y

Hypno Funk said:
They should split up Modern Warfare into a completley diffrent franchise, just so people know which one is the better one to buy, rather than have CoD5 being a continuation from CoD4, whch obviously, it isn't.

I want Modern Warefare 2.

Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2: insert subtitle here

You know it's going to happen too.

I'm not super excited about 5 like a was 4 but I'll probably still pick it up. 3 wasn't as good as 2 or 1 but it was still a decent shooter. It gets a lot of hate around here because Treyarch != IW but if it was titled something else it would be looked at it for what it is....an above average shooter. It's not like 4 didn't have its faults too (SP that is.....MP is godly). It will be interesting to see how MP works in 5 with vehicles.

But I am with you...they need to split them up this point but probably realize that the Treyarch versions would not not sell the shit tons they do without the CoD name.

Top Bottom