• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on Call of Duty 5: World at War revealed...it's not COD 6 :(

Slavik81 said:
Is World of War going to be anything like World of WarCraft?
An Activision exec. said they wanted to move to an MMO model to stop piracy. I think it was just an idea more than anything. Maybe that's what CoD6 will be.

pulga

Banned
Visualante said:
An Activision exec. said they wanted to move to an MMO model to stop piracy. I think it was just an idea more than anything. Maybe that's what CoD6 will be.

Aaand the point flew right over your head.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LttT: World War II...?

Fuck this shit.

Safe Bet

Banned
Egg Shen said:
There was a mod for COD years ago that tried to address this by presenting the perspective of the war from a member of the Wehrmacht. The character was supposed to be a soldier who joined in order to defend Germany who was apolitical...he joined the army because, from his perspective, it was supposed to be the right thing to do. It would basically work on focusing on his hopes to see his family again, whether he might die, or whatever else...not Nazi flag waving. It didn't get too far, though, and ended up with only a rough prototype of D-day.
http://wikipedia.org/All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front

:_(

Bigmac573

Banned
lol, too many WWII haters on this board. A good game is a good game, no matter which theater of war it's set in. Personally, Im sick of fucking Gears style aliens.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Bigmac573 said:
lol, too many WWII haters on this board. A good game is a good game, no matter which theater of war it's set in. Personally, Im sick of fucking Gears style aliens.

sounds like CoD4

kbear

It really doesn't sound that bad. I like all the new features they're adding and the fact that it's using the COD4 multi-player system. That means the multi-player is guaranteed to be awesome. Looks like they're putting a lot of emphasis on the single-player as well with the co-op and 'gritty' nature.

Shapingo

Just saw the scans, didn't seam all that impressive. Looks like a typical WWII jungle shooter, except there are flamethrowers now.

EDarkness

amar212 said:
In Pacific you play as US solider(s), saved from the japanese prison-camp.

And I didn't see Wii version at all, I only saw game running on 360 dev. But Treyarch guys pretty much promised that Wii version will be great in terms of graphic - and that it will use same engine, only downgraded.

I'll be interested in the Wii version, since I really like the remote and nunchuck for FPS games now. The only thing I want is for the game to be as robust as the 360/PS3/PC version. This means co-op, online play, unlockables, etc. After playing CoD 3, I was left wanting more. There just wasn't much else to the game after you beat it. No extras. No special cut-scenes. The game itself was fun, but it needed more stuff.

With the information coming out today, hopefully, they'll shed some light on what features will be missing from the Wii version (if any). Keeping people in the dark until close to launch day isn't cool at all.

Visualante said:
Another link to StrategyInformer from Bobby

“Jeez, they have the CoD4 engine running on the Wii apparently. They are using (the CoD4 engine) for all the next-gen ones too. The Wii Zapper will be supported.”

Sure they do.

COD4's engine still has its roots in Quake 3 technology, so I don't see why this is impossible or anything. It's not going to have all the next gen effects, but it running on the same basic engine should make development a whole lot easier for Treyarch.

Defuser

I reserved my thoughts till there's pics and videos released on the internet.
Who knows...since Treyarch is taking standard 2 years dev time instead of their 1 year and using COD4 engine with more refinement,it might be actually decent or better(lol).

Neomoto

My first reaction before was "meh" but I have to say it seems very interesting. I don't understand why people have so much trouble with the setting. Everything has been done before a LOT. Pacific setting has been done only a couple of times though (at least iirc). I don't know why but WO II game settings never bore me, the character of the setting is also a plus over anything "Modern Warfare" in my book.

Activision had got to have giving this team the budget the need, after the mega succes of CoD 4. And they have all the assets/engine etc to work on, which it seems they have approved upon. The info at hand seems interesting, and most of the screens seem nice. I'm positively surprised and I would like to see more.

MSUSteve

Neo Member
I can't understand the hate Treyarch gets. CoD3 was a competent and fun game, if not the most creative or mind blowing title ever. They worked on a very limited schedule and still produced a game that is better than most other scripted corridor FPS games.

Co-op alone is a good reason for me to have some interest in this game. While I wish it wasn't WWII again, I'm certainly not going to turn my nose up at it solely based on the setting, especially without having even seen it in action. I just don't understand those proclaiming this is somehow the worst thing ever and I really don't understand people that say they won't even try it or give it a fair chance.

Defuser

MSUSteve said:
I can't understand the hate Treyarch gets. CoD3 was a competent and fun game, if not the most creative or mind blowing title ever. They worked on a very limited schedule and still produced a game that is better than most other scripted corridor FPS games.

Co-op alone is a good reason for me to have some interest in this game. While I wish it wasn't WWII again, I'm certainly not going to turn my nose up at it solely based on the setting, especially without having even seen it in action. I just don't understand those proclaiming this is somehow the worst thing ever and I really don't understand people that say they won't even try it or give it a fair chance.
Cause the past few games they have been churning out mediocre games which makes people gave up on them.
But I'm giving them another chance since the past few games they were all less than 2 years development with rushes/hectic and they're taking their time like you pointed out.

TheOddOne

The scans are out!

- There are diffrent teams for each port, the x360 is acting as lead
- Treyarch have made advancements to the COD4 engine: enviroments are more distructable, they have added ropes which can be used to hang up dead pow's (lol)
- The multiplayer will keep some COD4 elements but new stuff also.
- There is a indept report in mag about the demo level show.
- You can swim underwater in single player AND multiplayer.
- Yes there is co-op will be similair to the singleplayer but with metascoring system from COD4

Seems kinda meh..

Tiktaalik

If they have to go back to WW2 I'm glad it's in a different setting. There haven't been too many games that have done the Pacific area.

Zenith

Banned
Pacific theatre is the most boring of all theatres.

Also, CoD4 was one of the few FPSs that proved successful in Japan. How well do you think one where they have to kill their grandfathers will do?

Proelite

Zenith said:

I disagree. It is the least mechanized, but as a result the infantry combat is far more personal and brutal. On many occasions, the KMT army of China drew swords when they ran out of ammo, and the Japanese army responded with honor by doing the same.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I'm pretty sure you guys won't be disappointed.

TheOddOne said:
The scans are out!

- There are diffrent teams for each port, the x360 is acting as lead
- Treyarch have made advancements to the COD4 engine: enviroments are more distructable, they have added ropes which can be used to hang up dead pow's (lol)
- The multiplayer will keep some COD4 elements but new stuff also.
- There is a indept report in mag about the demo level show.
- You can swim underwater in single player AND multiplayer.
- Yes there is co-op will be similair to the singleplayer but with metascoring system from COD4

Seems kinda meh..

Thats funny

Cedille

Zenith said:

Also, CoD4 was one of the few FPSs that proved successful in Japan. How well do you think one where they have to kill their grandfathers will do?

Wasn't any WW2 game successful in German?

Dyno

Zenith said:

That's an interesting point.

I'm interested to see if Treyarch can do something interesting with it. It's the COD4 engine, so it'll probably look and handle well, but I'd like to see something different done with the series after the last iteration. Hopefully they'll take some risks.

Bizzyb

Banned
EDarkness said:
If I remember correctly, wasn't there a PS2 version announced as well? If so, what's the situation with that version?

hopefully canceled. Spreading resources too thin can never be good. They need to forget about the PS2 and just move on already. Give the Wii the time, money and resources it deserves and stop hampering it by trying to make it work on PS2 as well.

Wii=/= PS2

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I for one am glad the modern setting has been ditched for the pacific. I hated the modern setting.

Must feel bad to be all lonely in your world right?

GamerSoul

I like the sound of it.
745px-ww2_iwo_jima_flag_raising.jpg

They have a lot to work with.

Top Bottom