• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on Call of Duty 5: World at War revealed...it's not COD 6 :(

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Dark Octave said:
I don't know anything about the Austrailian version of the war either but it was another side of a war that has been milked dry from an American and European perspective none the less. I don't see why there needs to be a "reason" for an Austrailian story, other than the fact that they fought in the war too. I also don't see why it would have to bring anything new, other than what a sequel naturally provides over the last game.

All I'm saying is that if it doesn't bring anything new to the table it's not really gonna make the game any better. That's all.

amar212

Geoff9920 said:
So Activision going to call this "Call of Duty: World at War" and drop the "5" from the title? Where did you read this?

I was told that by people form the Trechyard respectfully 2 days ago.

Sean said:
just read through the article, they are doing some interesting things. here's a quick summary.

Gameplay
- Flamethrower have propagating fire (like Far Cry 2). It's design and handling is based on Return to Castle Wolfenstein, they have the lead level designer from that game helping. It melts enemies skin off.
- Can shoot through cover (sounds kinda like BF Bad Company): "with enough bullets, the player causes enough damage to one of the walls to create a hole big enough to walk through"
- You can swim for the first time in the series (both SP and MP). You can not sprint and only walk half-speed while in water.
- Ropes hang dead POWs from trees which you can shoot down.
- Certain vehicles have entire levels dedicated to them, "most notably the PBY Catalina search and rescue plane and a dramatic aerial raid on some Japanese aircraft carriers"

Co-op
- 4 player co-op online, or two-player co-op via split screen.
- Identical to SP game
- Includes a "metagame" scoring system - constantly earning points which can be used to unlock special co-op perks. Or you can transfer the points earned over to MP and unlock perks/weapons there instead.
- One scenario demoed involves a player attracting attention of a tank while the other climbs on top and throws a grenade in the hatch.

Multiplayer:
- 16 players online
- Vehicles. In MP there are vehicle-specific levels and game types meaning people can ignore them if they want.
- Has COD4's perk system "keeping some of the most relevant and popular ones from COD4" with a selection of new ones too. The perks will be more relevant to the time period, so no UAVs and stuff.
- Party leader can issue orders to the team which will place an indicator on other players HUD saying where they're needed.

Development Info:
- Uses CoD4 engine which was enhanced (especially physics wise). Environments are much destructible, it's possible to burn objects or blow them to pieces. Bodies and objects float in water. Impressive lighting.
- Lead platform is Xbox 360 with separate teams handling each port
- Has a two year development schedule which is more than twice as long as CoD3's 11 month schedule.
- Treyarch built a full-sized skeleton of the PBY Catalina (vehicle) in their motion capture studio
- They have a military advisor, Frank Kearsey, helping
- 96 channels of audio many of which are ambient jungle noises. Has "real-time occlusion" which means sound coming from behind a wall or building will sound muffled in comparison to a noise in your direct line of vision.
I don't want to hate and I don't want to hype, but that sounds amazing.

JDSN

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:
Wolfenstein meets CoD?

Flamethrower have propagating fire (like Far Cry 2). It's design and handling is based on Return to Castle Wolfenstein, they have the lead level designer from that game helping. It melts enemies skin off.

EDarkness

“There will be co-op for the first time in a Call of Duty. Also there will be vehicles and squad-based elements to the multiplayer. Formats: PC, PS3, 360 and Wii. The Wii version is being worked on by a separate team within Treyarch. [The mag] reckons it’ll be a much closer comparison between the next-gen and Wii versions than any other Wii game on the market.

If I remember correctly, wasn't there a PS2 version announced as well? If so, what's the situation with that version?

SOunds promising, looks like they'e decided to pull their finger out and activision will obviously not want to dilute the franchise so will have a few infinity ward guys on the project.

Its shame people are writing it off without playing it simply because its not IW and its WW2, small minds I guess

farnham

Banned
why cant just vicarious vision do this...

they have a very formidable background in making good ports (doom 3) and good good nintendo platform games (every tony hawk game on GBA and DS as well as guitar hero 3)

Cedille

Honestly, I much prefer WW2 settings over yet another generic 'save the world from nuclear bombs or missiles'. Anyone in the same boat?

That being said, like CoD3, this one will be exclusive to PS3 and 360 (and Wii?) once again, and that's the major problem with Treyarch (or maybe it's Activision that was behind the decision).

Deepblue

Banned
Every time I hear someone complain about WW2 shooters then say they want Modern Warfare 2 I have to facepalm. Modern Warfare has been done to death moreso than WW2 IMO.

mr_bishiuk said:
Multiplayer is spoiled by grenades imo

yes, that too. Game looks great and all but it's all about close combat. After playing years of Wolfenstein and BF2's gigantic maps which provided insane mayhem it felt like trying to move in a small room full of people

JBuccCP

Deepblue said:
Every time I hear someone complain about WW2 shooters then say they want Modern Warfare 2 I have to facepalm. Modern Warfare has been done to death moreso than WW2 IMO.
True. Cod4 wasn't exactly brimming with originality. It was just really well made, and if this one is I'll get it too. It sounds promising at this point.

maxmars

Sean said:
just read through the article, they are doing some interesting things. here's a quick summary.

Gameplay
- Certain vehicles have entire levels dedicated to them, "most notably the PBY Catalina search and rescue plane and a dramatic aerial raid on some Japanese aircraft carriers"

Piloting the PBY Catalina?! I'm there day one!

Sean said:
Development Info:
- Treyarch built a full-sized skeleton of the PBY Catalina (vehicle) in their motion capture studio.

Well, I've found my GOTY methinks. :lol

Sean

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
Multiplayer is spoiled by grenades imo

Agreed, that's the main reason I gave up on CoD4 MP.

Martyrdom, Sonic Boom, 3x Nade perks have got to go. With friendly-fire disabled, there is no penalty to just spamming grenades all over. And they're very effective considering the maps are small and a teammate is usually blocking doorways which results in you not being able to escape areas.

DuckRacer

Sean said:

Gameplay
- Flamethrower has propagating fire (like Far Cry 2). It's design and handling is based on Return to Castle Wolfenstein, they have the lead level designer from RTCW helping. It melts enemies skin off.
- Can shoot through cover (think Battlefield: Bad Company): "with enough bullets, the player causes enough damage to one of the walls to create a hole big enough to walk through"
- You can swim for the first time in the series (both SP and MP). You can not sprint and only walk half-speed while in water.
- Ropes hang dead POWs from trees which you can shoot down.

Co-op
- 4 player co-op online, or two-player co-op via split screen.
- Co-op is identical to SP game
- Includes a "metagame" scoring system - you are constantly earning points which can be used to unlock special co-op perks OR you can transfer those points earned over to MP and unlock perks/weapons there instead.
- One scenario demoed involves a player attracting attention of a tank while the other climbs on top and throws a grenade in the hatch.

Multiplayer:
- 16 players online
- Vehicles. In MP there are vehicle-specific levels and game types meaning people can ignore them if they want.
- Has COD4's perk system "keeping some of the most relevant and popular ones from COD4" with a selection of new ones too. The perks will be relevant to that time period, so no UAVs or other modern stuff.
- Party leader can issue orders to the team which will place an indicator on other players HUD saying where they're needed.

Development Info:
- Uses CoD4 engine which was enhanced (especially physics wise). Environments are much more destructible. It's possible to burn objects or blow them to pieces. Bodies and objects float in water. Impressive lighting.
- Lead platform is Xbox 360 with separate teams handling each port
- Has a two year development schedule which is more than twice as long as CoD3's 11 month schedule.
- Treyarch built a full-sized skeleton of the PBY Catalina (vehicle) in their motion capture studio.
- They have a military advisor, Frank Kearsey, helping out.
- 96 channels of audio - many of which are ambient jungle noises. Has "real-time occlusion" which means sound coming from behind a wall or building will sound muffled in comparison to a noise in your direct line of vision.
Honestly after seeing the scans and reading all this I can't help but get excited.

Granted, I'm still going to be cautious, but the very fact that they're working on less versions with more than double the development time = great.

Just don't include Martyrdom.

Geoff9920

hiryu said:
Because when my TV has to upconvert to it's native resolution it makes the image quality on the screen shitty.
Technically your TV isn't doing the scaling to the 720p resolution, your 360 is. If there's any scaling occuring after it receives the 720p resolution, that your TV does do. Just sayin'. :p

/AV geek

Deepblue

Banned
Geoff9920 said:
Technically your TV isn't doing the scaling to the 720p resolution, your 360 is. If there's any scaling occuring after it receives the 720p resolution, that your TV does do. Just sayin'. :p

/AV geek
Most LCD TVs are 1360 x 768 so additional scaling will occur there.

syllogism

At least the scans make it look more interesting than COD 4 which admittedly doesn't mean much

e: I take that back, it doesn't look any better zzzz

Slavik81

Is World of War going to be anything like World of WarCraft?
Or maybe Universe at War? Gears of War? World in Conflict? Empire at War?
God of War? Advance Wars?

Proelite

I fucking don't get it. The Chinese war of resistance is one of the most moving stories of East Asian history, and they're fucking ignoring it together? Do they even know how many copies they would sell (or get priated by) if one of the main campaigns would center around a KMT soldier? It'll be the Russian campaign x 10.

DON'T YOU GUYS WANT TO USE ONE OF THESE BADASSES ON A NIP!

ZCDadao1012.jpg

kenta

Has no PEINS
chubigans said:
Whoever invented the "have enemies respawn infinitely until the player crosses an invisible line" should be shot. Repeatedly.
...until... they cross an arbitrary invisible line, perhaps?

Egg Shen

Aurelius said:
Although there are more and more books and a couple of movies describing the German experience in WW2, game developers seem reluctant to add the Germans as a playable faction in anything besides RTS-games. It’s not that I am asking to have to guard a concentration camp or something like that. But it would be interesting to play WW2 campaigns from the point of view of the Waffen SS for example. As the führer’s “fire brigade” they were always rushed to the most critical points of the Eastern and Western front and expected to hold out against the most overwhelming odds. Sounds like an ideal setting to a game for me. Especially since I’m a WW2 history buff.
There was a mod for COD years ago that tried to address this by presenting the perspective of the war from a member of the Wehrmacht. The character was supposed to be a soldier who joined in order to defend Germany who was apolitical...he joined the army because, from his perspective, it was supposed to be the right thing to do. It would basically work on focusing on his hopes to see his family again, whether he might die, or whatever else...not Nazi flag waving. It didn't get too far, though, and ended up with only a rough prototype of D-day.

Yoboman said:
I also find it strange they're putting in vehicles in the Pacific Campaign. Maybe planes?
Land vehicles also saw use in the Pacific Campaign by both sides, even with the focus on air/sea power. Jeeps, tanks, artillery, etc.. were used to help invade and fortify gains, such as at Guadalcanal and the Philippines, so something could be done with those even if it was a small part of a greater mission, I guess.

I just hope they don't stick your character in a plane and expect him to single-handedly wipe out a wing of Zeroes along with a carrier task force on your own as they did in Pacific Assault.

Sean said:
Maybe I spoke to soon... Or maybe this means that we'll be seeing something like a slice of Midway. Kind of leery seeing this in what is going to be an FPS, but it might be along the lines of the AC-130 mission where you act as part of the support crew as opposed to being the pilot. They might have you man a Browning to help defend it, or help sight the Japanese fleet...at least that's what I'm hoping.

Cedille said:
Honestly, I much prefer WW2 settings over yet another generic 'save the world from nuclear bombs or missiles'. Anyone in the same boat?
I've got a soft spot for WW2 titles in general, but if they can pull of that list, especially the co-op, the setting will be a bonus.

This could be a great game, haters be damned. I'll rent this day one and buy it if it rocks. Definitely looking forward to checking out the co-op.

If a WWII setting disqualifies any game from being good, I guess none of you guys will get the new Brothers in Arms.

"Most LCD TVs are 1360 x 768 so additional scaling will occur there."

That's irrelevant though. Even if the game runs at the coveted 720p it will still have to upscale contrary to the initial whiny complaint.

Top Bottom