• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on Call of Duty 5: World at War revealed...it's not COD 6 :(

lockii said:
Taking the series back to WWII is the stupidest fucking thing I have EVER witnessed. COD4 sells gangbusters and they're taking the game back to the stone age?
No. Setting it in the stone age would be fresh.

Wow some of you guys are rediculous you havnt even seen the game in motion and are already passing it off because its set in WW2, so I guess you better pass up hells highway also. And COD3 isnt as great as COD4 but the game was better then some of the shit thats come out recently. The only thing that bothers me is that the game will sell off of the success of infinityward, infinityward should just say fuck you to activision and make a new series.

Kittonwy

Banned
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
I want Bass assault!!!!!!!!!!!!

As in sea bass?
Indifferent2.gif

Also, CoD4 was one of the few FPSs that proved successful in Japan. How well do you think one where they have to kill their grandfathers will do?

WWII never happened for Japan. It's them evil Americans that dropped a nuke on them while them evil Chinese invaded their land.

Yeah seriously, why no Chinese version of WWII? I know Chinese are mythical creatures of fantasy and legend on Planet United States of America and Germany, but it still would be interesting. I heard them Chinese folks are 8 feet tall and can shoot lasers from their eyes!

No. Setting it in the stone age would be fresh.

Call of Duty: War of the Dinosaurs is a day one must buy for me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If its as good as Battlefield 1942 it will be great. I still remember taking the little boats over from the carrier on the atoll map.

DiddyBop

all the ppl complaining know damn well that they will fall into the hype like tools when the game is released and most of you will end up purchasing CoD5. you guys are saying the game is crap before its even released? obviously activision and the developers know they have big shoes to fill; the reason cod4 sold so much was because of excellent word of mouth and AAA reviews across the board. they are obviously not going to fuck this up.

Zenith said:
Pacific theatre is the most boring of all theatres.

Also, CoD4 was one of the few FPSs that proved successful in Japan. How well do you think one where they have to kill their grandfathers will do?
1368+-+Medal+of+Honor%3A+Rising+Sun+-+PS2

versus
2763+-+Call+of+Duty+4+-+PS3

DiddyBop said:
all the ppl complaining know damn well that they will fall into the hype like tools when the game is released and most of you will end up purchasing CoD5. you guys are saying the game is crap before its even released? obviously activision and the developers know they have big shoes to fill; the reason cod4 sold so much was because of excellent word of mouth and AAA reviews across the board. they are obviously not going to fuck this up.

The game will still move at least 3 million copies before anybody finds out whether its a good or bad game.

ksamedi

For the people complaining about COD5 being a WW2 shooter despite sales of COD4. Isn't it obvious that COD5 began development way before COD4 even released? I'm sure COD6 and later iterations will be modern day shooters.

ksamedi said:
For the people complaining about COD5 being a WW2 shooter despite sales of COD4. Isn't it obvious that COD5 began development way before COD4 even released? I'm sure COD6 and later iterations will be modern day shooters.

But of course they knew IW was working on long before COD4 was released. They probably just didn't think it would have been nearly as successful as it was.

ksamedi

neonvision said:
But of course they knew IW was working on long before COD4 was released. They probably just didn't think it would have been nearly as successful as it was.

Thats what I'm saying.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I expect big numbers on wii - since there is NO competition :)

stuminus3

Bigmac573 said:
Personally, Im sick of fucking Gears style aliens.
Perhaps you should try one of those Earthling women. What they lack in extra tentacles they make up for in sheer vagina.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Is it just me, or are these charts a bad comparison?

Anyway, if what they say about the Wii version is true, this could be the FPS on the Wii, and for a long time maybe, considering the astonishing lack of more FPS on Wii.

Actually looking at the quote again, maybe I'm getting too excited. They say it'll hold up better with the next-gen comparisons than everyone elses multi-platform games, rather than saying it's a close comparison, which isn't saying much.

Also, I like how they grouped the PS3/360 versions as next-gen and contrasted that with the Wii version. I get what they're saying and all but... :x

Brannon

The lesser-seen side of the Pacific Theater would be a nice change for once, but that doesn't change the fact that it's being made by the Sonic Team of Activision, Treyarch.

And now that I said that, some members of Treyarch are going to be so pissed that they will up their skillz and prove me wrong. Because I am that important, bitch.

DiddyBop said:
I didn't buy Call of Duty 3. From the sales it looks like a lot of other people skipped it as well.

No Means Nomad said:
You're right. There has never been a good shooter from a company other than Infinity Ward. Why even bother?
Never been a good Call of Duty from anyone other than Infinity Ward.

Calen

brain_stew said:
COD4's engine still has its roots in Quake 3 technology, so I don't see why this is impossible or anything. It's not going to have all the next gen effects, but it running on the same basic engine should make development a whole lot easier for Treyarch.
We have our roots in the Quake 3 technology much like I imagine the Source engine has its roots in Quake 1. In other words, if you throw out all the rendering, animation, multiprocessor support, AI, scripting, and lots of other stuff then sure, we have roots in Quake 3.

Demigod Mac

I don't think a lot of people realize that Infinity Ward isn't working on this one. Treyarch is.

Infinity Ward is probably working on COD6 at this point.

Are there plans to still support CoD4 with map packs, patches etc after the release of CoD5. Or are you IW guys basically "done" with 4 and moving on?

HondaF1Fanatic

Neo Member
I would like a CoD set in Korea, Vietnam, or Afghanistan in the 80s as well. I don't think WWII or "Modern Warfare" are the only possibilities here.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Everybody should stop dogging Treyarch. They may not have the greatest track record and COD3 wasn't amazing, but they did the entire project on like six platforms in less than a year. That's very impressive considering the quality of game they put out (still like a C+/B- game, I guess).

Plus, what exactly are you all hemming and hawing about regarding Infinity Ward's ability to create a solid single player campaign? As long as they don't ruin the multiplayer-- and they might, based on what we see so far-- why does anyone care? COD4's no SP beast.

I'll give it a shot. Boo on the setting.

The inclusion of online coop is going to make the campaign mode much less frustrating...I'm all for it.

Treyarch sucks at game design though. I still haven't forgiven them for Spiderman 3

ezekial45

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Everybody should stop dogging Treyarch. They may not have the greatest track record and COD3 wasn't amazing, but they did the entire project on like six platforms in less than a year. That's very impressive considering the quality of game they put out (still like a C+/B- game, I guess).

Plus, what exactly are you all hemming and hawing about regarding Infinity Ward's ability to create a solid single player campaign? As long as they don't ruin the multiplayer-- and they might, based on what we see so far-- why does anyone care? COD4's no SP beast.

I'll give it a shot. Boo on the setting.

Am i the only one who LOVED COD4's SP?

I'm sorta torn on this installment. I know that the Pacific will bring in new enemies and environments, but it's still WWII. With the same weapons and time period. However i think the new features sound great and they look like something (if done right) that should be implemented into the next IW COD.

This really got me thinking though. What was the rational behind Activision's decision into putting it back to WWII? Did they severely underestimate COD4's success in the modern environment and they were too far into the development of Treyarch's COD to turn it around? Or perhaps they just wanted a WWII game regardless. I'm really interested in finding out more.

All I wanted to add to COD4 was the ability to use loadouts and perks in the single player campaign. The game as is is nearly flawless in my book.

All I wanted from Treyarch's COD5 was for it to use the same engine and add co-op.

This is damn good news :)

If you like Call of Duty 4 it'll still be there.

Meanwhile you have the potential to play a new version this year that wouldn't be available otherwise using the same engine as the last one. The only thing that might go wrong is brand saturation. For every Call of Duty game that comes out rapid fire the next has to be even bigger and better to interest consumers.

Zenith

Banned
HondaF1Fanatic said:
I would like a CoD set in Korea, Vietnam, or Afghanistan in the 80s as well. I don't think WWII or "Modern Warfare" are the only possibilities here.

Falklands, baby!

Salazar

The new series of Band of Brothers is also set in the Pacific, I believe. Looking forward to that, at any rate.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
The Pacific theatre is in no way boring, Medal of Honor: Rising Sun may have left a bad taste in peoples mouths but yeah, there where some epic battles againt the Japanese who where brutally sadistic fucks.

Wouldnt mind a PNG level with Aus soldiers in it, my grandfather was there so it might actually mean something, have heard a few of his story's and the Japs are barbaric so killin a few hundred would be sweet.

As for Aus soldiers not bringing anything new, well who cares US soldiers arent bringing anything new either so it doesnt really matter who you use, the warfare is a bit different though and tactics will be mixed up a bit especially with the jungle warfare making for some crazy intense battles, just make the jungle thick as shit like it really is.

Cipherr

legend166 said:
CoD 4 engine running on Wii?

Say whaaaat?

Of course it's going to be an obvious downgrade, that's a good achievement, no?

I think we get that

"Its going to be the closest Wii to Ps360 version of a multi plat game EVAR"

quote for every freaking multi plat release regardless of the game. Every dev says the Wii game is going to be a faithful adaption, its rarely true, so Id hold off on that. If they manage though, day one.

Salazar

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
The Pacific theatre is in no way boring, Medal of Honor: Rising Sun may have left a bad taste in peoples mouths but yeah, there where some epic battles againt the Japanese who where brutally sadistic fucks.

Wouldnt mind a PNG level with Aus soldiers in it, my grandfather was there so it might actually mean something, have heard a few of his story's and the Japs are barbaric so killin a few hundred would be sweet..

Not as much as this post. Videogames as imaginative retribution for wartime atrocity on either side is just sad.

Top Bottom