• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF CREATES Contest I : Super Mario Bros. 16bit

Enk

makes good threads.
UPDATES:
(12/11/08)

Contest is over!
Congrats to Jepense and Ventron as they are both 1st place winners!

-Super Mario Mini Adventure and the level Swallowed added to the list
-Games section now moved to first post for a quick and easy find.
-GAF Compilation will remain open. Feel free to contirbute levels whenever you like.

The Games!

(in order of release)

Super Mario World - Trip to Bluey's Island
by Ventron
Mod Link

Pics:
Bluestitle.png

Blue4.jpg

Blue3.jpg

Blue1-2.jpg

Massimo
by Enk
Mod Link

Pics:
title.gif

Massi2.jpg

Massi3-1.jpg

Massi1.jpg

Bowser's Peak
by jepense
Mod Link
Pics:
Image11.gif

untitlediuyy3.jpg

untitlediuyy2.jpg

untitlediuyy.jpg

Super Mario Mini Adventure
by Enk
MOD LINK

Image13-1.gif

Image7-7.gif

Image6-7.gif

Image1-5.gif

GAF Mario Contributors!

Jocchan- World 1-1
MarioWorld1-1.jpg

Louminater- Green Fortress
GreenFortress.jpg

nincompoop - Going Up
gafstuff.jpg

nincompoop - How Can He Fly
Image2-8.gif

Jocchan - Swallowed
Image64.gif

Enk

makes good threads.
The old Original Post

OLD UPDATES (11/05/08):

-Contest I-B now open! The prize right now is a 3 month XBOX Live subscription.
-Compilation deadline is now Dec. 15th.
-2nd post revamped. Will now be up to date with all the games, levels, and judgings.
-Submissions and judging begins! Submit to you hearts content!
-Thanks to a generous donation from Madsucktion the 1st place prize has been upped to $40 and the second place to $20!
-There's now a 2nd place prize of $15 VC, XBLA, or PSN games!
-New rule clarification: Cutsom coding is allowed if you can handle it. If you want to change the boss mechanics or create new items go for it!
-A ton of tutorial videos added in second post.
-Game rules altered to just Super Mario World, stage cap lowered to 5-8.

Deadline: November 30th
1st Place Prize currently: $40 of VC, XBLA, or PSN games (feel free to chip in a prize or two!)
2nd Place Prize : $20 of VC, XBLA, or PSN games
Pride prize: The best of your levels could be included in a GAF Mario collection!

The Rundown

So you think you can create a better Mario game than Miyamoto huh? After all that bitching and whining over New Super Mario Bros. not being up to snuff here's your chance to grab the Mario mastermind by the rupees and show him whose the better plumber!

In the first of a planned series of contests, your job is to create your very own Mario game based on the criteria below. If you’re voted the best you get the goods and fame! If you don’t, well, you still have a chance on getting some of your levels included in the GAF Mario Compilation!

But first here is your item list of things you need before you begin to play:

Lunar Magic, the Super Mario 16 bit editor
Where to get: HERE!!!

demo-1.gif

Super Mario World US Region
Originalcopy-1.gif

An Imagination

Image9-2.gif

The Rule Set

-DO NOT ASK FOR ROMS!!! It's as simple as that. If you're smart enough to handle a computer, then you're capable enough to read and understand this one rule.

-A limit of 5-8 levels which includes a minimum of 1 castle and 1 boss. Try to keep within a compact 8 levels for easier judging and better focus.

-Any extra stages can be included as secret stages.

-Keep it reasonable. You all have probably seen the videos of Asshole Mario. It's your choice if you want it to be that difficult but you will more than likely not win anything other than a thrown controller at your face.

-Cutsom coding is allowed if you can handle it. If you want to change the boss mechanics or create new items go for it!

-If caught ripping stages from other people's work then you will be disqualified and laughed at like the pathetic leech you are.

-Final date is on the last day of November. That's plenty of time to craft, test, and do anything extra to your levels. So don't rush it!

-The earliest day you can release your game is the 1st of November. When you release your project ONLY INCLUDE THE PATCH!!! Feel free to post your progress in this thread with pics, journals, problems, etc.

-If you have any problems with the editor or with a level feel free to ask. I'm sure there are some kind souls willing to offer some help. Also there are tutorial links below to help you out.

How Judging Will Work

Since I am offering the prize and creating this contest I will not take part in the contest itself (doesn't mean I won't make some levels alongside you guys). I will however take part in the judging as well as everyone else who offers. Since the limit will be ten stages it will be easier to run through most of them.

Final judging date is Dec. 10th!

Here's how the judging will work:

-You will choose a first place and a second place.
-You cannot vote on your own game.
-First place gets 2 points while the second place gets 1 point.
-Please also mention two of your favorite stages from both games for the GAF Mario compilation.
-Feel free to include other reviews or information in your post if you choose, but please keep it civil. “Not my cup of tea” > “Your game is trash, shit total! I hope it rots in digital hell along with your damned soul”!!!
-Final judging on GAF Mario compilation will take place after the competition has ended. That will be discussed on a future date though.

In the end the points will be tallied and when the winner is declared I (and anyone else) will offer up the prize(s). The winner will be hailed King Plumber of the GAFland Kingdom. You will be looked upon by you Toadlings, have Miyamoto kissing your crusty heels, Reggie shaking in his panties at your very presence, and then you will be forgotten in time.

But... in case of a draw, then a deatmatch will ensue!

Misc Info

-Need help with Lunar go HERE
-Tutorial Videos HERE, HERE, HERE
-If you need some inspiration check out SMW Central!
-Also be sure to check out Mama Robotnik's thread for a good collection of game mods!

Lunar Tutorial Videos

Overworld Tutorials
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
Video 5
Video 6

Editing Pipes
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4

Custom Blocks
Video 1
Video 2

Custom Block Example
Video

Title Screen Edit
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

Adding Music
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

Basic Palette Editing
Video 1
Video 2

Editing Background and Graphics Headers
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
Video 5

Inserting Custom Sprites
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Is there any way to "import" levels or anything like that, in order to create some sort of "large" patch out of all the entries?

jarosh

what's the point in using "super mario all-stars & world"? you can only use the mario world part of it anyway. why don't we make it less confusing and just use super mario world instead of all-stars + world?

Enk said:
-A limit of 10 levels with a minimum of 2 castles and 2 bosses. You can do a few more if you choose but try to keep within a compact 10 levels for easier judging and better focus.
This seems like a bit much, from both perspectives. As a non-level designer this contest might be fun, but I don't know that I have enough interesting ideas for two whole worlds worth of levels. As a judge, if there are more than a few entrants there's the problem of either going through several times the length of Super Mario World, or only playing a subset of the entries and thus not giving everyone a fair shake.

DavidDayton said:
Is there any way to "import" levels or anything like that, in order to create some sort of "large" patch out of all the entries?
Yeah, Lunar Magic lets you save or load individual levels. Testing now, looks like SMW's first level saves to about 2 kilobytes. EDIT: Actually, it seems it saves which level number it is, too, which I just ran across by trying to save a later level and load it to replace the first stage. So it could be a problem if we have 20 people whose games all start with an erased and redone version of the default first level. There's probably some way to work around that, but I don't know it yet. REEDIT: Looks like when you actually save a level to a ROM, it asks you what level number to store it as, so that's not a real problem after all. REREEDIT: Some things like message box text are saved apart from the level, though, so would need a bit more manual work.

I imagine this would only be a problem if someone did some of the fancy stuff like adding their own sprites or modified the game behavior. Perhaps using only the plain jane editor features should be a rule?

Walshicus

Enk said:
-DO NOT ASK FOR ROMS!!! It's as simple as that. If you're smart enough to handle a computer, then you're capable enough to read and understand this one rule.
What possible evidence do you have to back up this assumption? ;)

Great idea, by the way.

Burai

shitonmychest57
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
I know Im gonna make nice simple little level then be blown out the water my some amazing entries (Damn Modus), at least it will be fun.

It's alright. I don't think the SNES can do glossy metal effects. CONTEST SAVED!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm not talented enough to participate in this, BUT:

the levels will eventually be compiled into a gaf mario world level pack?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, Lunar Magic lets you save or load individual levels. Testing now, looks like SMW's first level saves to about 2 kilobytes. EDIT: Actually, it seems it saves which level number it is, too, which I just ran across by trying to save a later level and load it to replace the first stage. So it could be a problem if we have 20 people whose games all start with an erased and redone version of the default first level. There's probably some way to work around that, but I don't know it yet. REEDIT: Looks like when you actually save a level to a ROM, it asks you what level number to store it as, so that's not a real problem after all. REREEDIT: Some things like message box text are saved apart from the level, though, so would need a bit more manual work.
Hmm. I was just thinking it would be nice to put them all together into a single patch when we were done...

Other question: can you make levels that use game specific SMB1-3 mechanics with this editor? In other words, can one make a SMB3 level, or are we forced to use the lesser SMW engine?

jarosh

again, WHY are we supposed to use the mario all stars + world rom? what if someone uses mario world only? are the levels gonna be compatible? i think not. if i remember correctly they changed certain things about mario world in "all stars + world".

BitchTits

Sounds like huge fun, I'm going to download Lunar Magic and see if I have what it takes to even try and compete, I can imagine the competition will be tough! I look forward to playing some of you guys' levels at least. :)

samratty

I'm down.

Two questions...
Do we have to use All Stars and World or can we use just World?
Upto ten stages, two castle and two bosses seems a little bit too much. How about lowering it a little?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the talented people posting in this thread are making me think this could be something really bad ass. i'll play cheerleader for you cats.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Problem is this though: with the VC points they are dependent on region zones. i.e. PAL region player wins this competition and can't get the points because they are region locked out of the U.S.

Any suggestions?

jarosh said:
again, WHY are we supposed to use the mario all stars + world rom? what if someone uses mario world only? are the levels gonna be compatible? i think not. if i remember correctly they changed certain things about mario world in "all stars + world".
I've been working with Super Mario World. Took the level I've been messing with, saved it to an external file, loaded that file into Super Mario All-Stars + World. Seems to work fine.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I wish to voice my opinion in favor of lowering the amount of levels. I am in anyways, but still.

Koren

I'd like to find time to enter this contest... Fingers crossed !

I have a question, though. What is allowed/forbidden in term of code hacking ? You're talking about bosses, are we allowed to change the game ASM code to create new bosses ? Or do you expect people to use standard bosses of SMW ?

The same question stands for power-ups...

(Should we be allowed to change many things in the code, the "GAF compilation" could be very tricky to build)

mclem

I'd like to enter. I probably won't get around to it, but I can dream!

I'm not sure about making them into a compilation, it may limit us to standard progression if one level has to follow another. I'm thinking more about trying to aim for the original feel, and so I'd be intending to get some non-linearity into the level progression. It might be best to simply make a compilation in the form of one-zip-of-lots-of-patches.

CTLance

Not like I'm gonna boot Windows for this anyway, sorry. I have the creative output of a slug on a hot plate. On good days.

10 levels is madness though. Make it two, or at most four levels. You don't really think playing through a dozen 10-level games will allow for serious judgement, do you. By the tme you'll have finished the last you'll have forgotten about the first already.

Also: Time limit. 300 secs per stage. Not one second more. Less is acceptable, of course. I wouldn't want to wade through ten 999sec-stages, no matter how ingenious.
<Bill Gates>5 minutes ought to be enough for anybody.</BG>

Still adds up to possibly about an hour of playtime per entry. *shudder*

Or how about a "little league"? Three levels, short and simple. One endboss.

(Out of interest though: Is there a Mac/Linux port of the editor?)

Owensboro

Oh wow, I had actually never Heard of "Asshole Mario". I've been watching Youtube of the levels all morning, and how many levels are there for this thing? I most definately want to try it out after playing Super Mario World so much. I know i'm digging my own grave though (can't be as bad as Battletoads.......can it?)

Also, freaking spectacular idea for a fun contest. I'm gonna screw around with that editor later tonight, but I can tell you right now I'm not going to be able to make 10 levels and 2 boss fights. If anything, I might just go for honorable mention with 1-2 levels and a castle. Of course, Considering I haven't played around with it yet, I could just be full of crap here.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the "New SuperGAFio Bros." compilation of levels and bosses that comes out of this. Another whole SMW to screw around in will be fun.

Haunted

Damn, makes me wish I had a creative bone in my body. Can't wait to see what you guys can come up with, though.

beelzebozo said:
the talented people posting in this thread are making me think this could be something really bad ass. i'll play cheerleader for you cats.
I'll go grab my pom-pons.

Sciz

Brainstorming level concepts will give me something to do at work, at least.

Query: Are the boss rooms hardcoded into the game, or can they be messed with a bit? It's probably the former, but I don't have time to check at the moment.

Koren

Sciz said:
Query: Are the boss rooms hardcoded into the game, or can they be messed with a bit? It's probably the former, but I don't have time to check at the moment.
It's the former, but you can change those by messing with ASM code. As I said before, I'd like to know what is allowed/forbidden on that matter...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think I'm down with this, but as someone else noted, I think we should do fewer levels. It would be very difficult to properly judge each entry if everyone did 10 levels. I think people should focus on creating just a few levels and focus on making each of those high quality. Afterall, part of the idea is to create a GAF level pack, right? It would be best to focus on getting the highest quality levels in there. I dunno, I guess we'll see how it rolls.

One other question, is it required that we use All Stars and World? Could we not just use Super Mario World by itself? I don't wish to mix sprites, to be honest, as I don't care for how they look in All Stars plus I only own SMW by itself. :)

Top Bottom