• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF CREATES Contest I : Super Mario Bros. 16bit

Jme

I think the 2 months is plenty of time to do 10 levels and 2 bosses, BUT, I also think that is a lot for judges to play through, I say, cut it in half.

5 levels, 1 castle/boss.

Javaman

DavidDayton said:
Hmm. I was just thinking it would be nice to put them all together into a single patch when we were done...

Other question: can you make levels that use game specific SMB1-3 mechanics with this editor? In other words, can one make a SMB3 level, or are we forced to use the lesser SMW engine?

I don't know if it's doable but it would be awesome if the first stage had warp pipes for each of the designers' levels.

Koren said:
It's the former, but you can change those by messing with ASM code. As I said before, I'd like to know what is allowed/forbidden on that matter...
Most of them look uneditable by normal means in Lunar Magic, but it seems like the Lemmy/Wendy pipe rooms can be modified?
dark10x said:
One other question, is it required that we use All Stars and World? Could we not just use Super Mario World by itself? I don't wish to mix sprites, to be honest, as I don't care for how they look in All Stars plus I only own SMW by itself. :)
There are visual differences beyond Luigi?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There are visual differences beyond Luigi?
What I mean is, there exists an entirely different set of tiles created specifically for All Stars (in order to match the appearance of the originals). I wanted to make certain that we could simply stick entirely to SMW assets (I'd assume so, but the OP mentions both).

Enk

makes good threads.
MAIN POST UPDATED! SOME RULES CHANGED SO TAKE A LOOK!

jarosh said:
again, WHY are we supposed to use the mario all stars + world rom? what if someone uses mario world only? are the levels gonna be compatible? i think not. if i remember correctly they changed certain things about mario world in "all stars + world".

Point taken. I thought having a variety of resources from All Stars would be nice but I do want this contest to be accessible. It's still early on the contest so I think I'll make a change. How about we all just do Super Mario World US region.

handofg0d said:
I think the 2 months is plenty of time to do 10 levels and 2 bosses, BUT, I also think that is a lot for judges to play through, I say, cut it in half.

5 levels, 1 castle/boss.

I thought 10 stages was small enough, but I guess not. So I will compromise. How about I change it to an even 8 stages, 2 castles, 2 bosses. Keep in mind the judging will take place over the course of a month and 10 days. 8 stages is not that bad and can be quickly ran through.

Ledsen

Sounds really cool, but 10 levels is waaaay too much. I vote for 3 levels 1 boss like someone else said. Otherwise 90% of the contestants will become bored and quit. Less is more in this case :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
DavidDayton said:
Other question: can you make levels that use game specific SMB1-3 mechanics with this editor? In other words, can one make a SMB3 level, or are we forced to use the lesser SMW engine?

The physics for SMB3 is quite wonky on the All Stars version.

beelzebozo said:
i'm not talented enough to participate in this,

I doubt myself as well, but at the very least it'll be interesting (or soul crushing) just to see what GAF thinks of my work.

This is a great idea but I want to join the chorus suggesting that 10 levels is way, way, way too much. I'd say, I dunno, three is a good point to get decent participation.

mclem

Enk said:
I thought 10 stages was small enough, but I guess not. So I will compromise. How about I change it to an even 8 stages, 2 castles, 2 bosses. Keep in mind the judging will take place over the course of a month and 10 days. 8 stages is not that bad and can be quickly ran through.

Levels do vary somewhat in size; Star Road 3, anyone? (Or was it 4?). I was leaning towards more shorter levels in my vague masterplan, allowing for each level to be a bit more coherently crafted towards the intended theme. *IF* I complete the project - and I wouldn't stake any money on it since I've got a habit of being waaaay too ambitious! - I'll almost certainly go beyond that cap. And I intend secret levels too!

I'm a fan of text adventures, and there's an annual IFComp for short titles. The criteria for those is quite well thought-out: the game should be winnable in two hours. Judges are expected to play for that length of time and score the games after that period (being quite welcome to go on playing afterwards, naturally). Would switching to a time-based target rather than a size-based target be more appropriate?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
mclem said:
Levels do vary somewhat in size; Star Road 3, anyone? (Or was it 4?). I was leaning towards more shorter levels in my vague masterplan, allowing for each level to be a bit more coherently crafted towards the intended theme. *IF* I complete the project - and I wouldn't stake any money on it since I've got a habit of being waaaay too ambitious! - I'll almost certainly go beyond that cap. And I intend secret levels too!

Are the star levels longer, really? I thought all the levels were pretty much the same size.

So that brings about the next question, how long do the levels have to be?

BitchTits

<stupid question>

The 8 levels total is inclusive of the two castle levels, right? 8 Levels, at least two of which must be castles with bosses?

</stupid question>

Enk

makes good threads.
Stage cap has been altered a bit once again. Limit is now 5-8 stages with a minimum of one castle and one boss. If I can handle 10 stages in a buggy Mega Man editor in 4 days I'm sure 2+ months is plenty of time for at least five stages in the more polished Lunar.

Oblivion said:
Are the star levels longer, really? I thought all the levels were pretty much the same size.

So that brings about the next question, how long do the levels have to be?

Stages can be as big as the game allows. Go crazy with it!

BitchTits said:
<stupid question>

The 8 levels total is inclusive of the two castle levels, right? 8 Levels, at least two of which must be castles with bosses?

</stupid question>

Yes that includes the castles, but now that the limit has been lowered it's just one castle. But if you're going the 8 stage route then it will be nice to break it up with two castles and two bosses.

Haunted

Good call on the level cap.

Ooh, stickied.

beelzebozo said:
mine come out of a holster when you and jarosh are in the room, hombre
You're one step ahead as usual. *tips hat*

Ten levels does seem like a lot. A few years ago I made a stand-alone Mario game and that had 12 levels (I think that's including the "deleted scenes" I included, featuring a number of levels I cut for quality reasons).

And that took me like, two years of on-and-off work.

Ranger X

Tks Bish. I just noticed this thread tks to your stinking.

I wanted an nice occasion to overcome my lazyness of learning Lnuar Magic so here we go. I think I will participate.
I will investigate this when i'll be home tonight.

5-8 seems pretty decent.

mclem said:
I'm not sure about making them into a compilation, it may limit us to standard progression if one level has to follow another. I'm thinking more about trying to aim for the original feel, and so I'd be intending to get some non-linearity into the level progression. It might be best to simply make a compilation in the form of one-zip-of-lots-of-patches.
I don't think that'd be much of a problem. So maybe someone takes a keyhole exit from one of your stages and ends up at one of dark10x's levels that was accessible only by keyhole.

Definitely I expect a combined GAF effort from something like this could be disjointed, though, if a fire stage is immediately followed by an ice stage and a forest stage or whatever. Or I'm planning on taking a cue from the original SMW and having some early levels not giving out feathers, so they'd be less demanding if placed near the end of a game. But hey, it will be what it will be.

So nobody else has garbled sprite graphics? This is just a couple of examples.
garbled1676.png

garbled2351.png

I think it might be a problem with my ROM, since I had to hex edit it just to get the editor to recognize it. Can anyone help?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
nincompoop said:
So nobody else has garbled sprite graphics? This is just a couple of examples.
http://xs231.xs.to/xs231/08371/garbled1676.png[/IMG]
http://xs231.xs.to/xs231/08371/garbled2351.png[/IMG]

I think it might be a problem with my ROM, since I had to hex edit it just to get the editor to recognize it. Can anyone help?

Nothing is wrong. Those sprites are just tileset specific for the most part. ie, go to a ghost house, and the 'Boo Buddies' circle will appear fine. You can rip and customize a lot though, so I'm sure if you REALLY want you could figure out how to put them in another level.

edit: And what I've doen with my toying around today. Nothing fantastic. Just getting my feet wet.

2840138237_2328551fb1_o.jpg

Jme

Oh man, this is going to make me unbox my PC isn't it? I wish they made editors like this for the Mac :/

Anyone know if theres an option to switch the level to an up and down level?

I don't want the traditional start at the left and head right level.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
xxjuicesxx said:
Anyone know if theres an option to switch the level to an up and down level?

I don't want the traditional start at the left and head right level.

Yes, under Level > Change Properties in Header. Level 109 if you want to see an example of one to use.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
For the record Enk, I think 5-8 levels with 1 castle/boss is the perfect sweet spot. With 8-10 levels I probably would have not participated (even though I was the catalyst), but 5 levels seems perfect.

Enk

makes good threads.
Thanks again Bish!

It's good to see a lot of people jumping on board already. I can only hope this leads to greater things! Even though I won't be participating in the contest I'll be starting on my own Mario project today as well. I have some ideas on what I want to do but it may be a bit too ambitious.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to improve the contest feel free to post!

BitchTits

A few questions:

Is there a way of starting off with a completely blank slate of a level, or do you always have to edit an existing level and 'save as'?

Whenever I add in a pipe, it changes colour depending on where I put it, is this how it should be, or can I choose the colour of pipes?

Lastly, on the level I've been playing around with to get acustomed to the editor, when I load it in an emulator, the bottom of the background is garbled. Could this be a problem with the a) rom, b) background/level itself, c) emulator? (Latest version of ZSNES).

nxp1zo.jpg

Edit: I think it's a problem with the background actually, since the garbled bg doesn't follow you up when you go higher, it stays at a constant height on the bg throughout the level.

The pipe thing happens to me too and I have no idea whats up with that. Pipe starts grey on one screen and once you go high up if you go back down they switch to yellow. They also choose a starting color based on the screen they are in (you can choose to view screen seperations)

I was wondering if there was a way to edit this too.

mclem

Would the garbled background be this (from the .hlp):

FAQ: Why is there animated tile garbage in my background?

This is most often a result of setting the BG init position too high. The "animated tile garbage" is from data stored just below the BG image. You can change the init BG position in either the main/midway entrance dialog or the secondary entrance dialog, depending on which type of entrance you're using to enter the level.

This problem tends to come up fairly often in vertical levels. Nintendo simply did not design the backgrounds so they can be tiled vertically, and did not really take vertical levels into account when creating the BG init position list. You can try setting layer 2 vertical scrolling to "slow" or "none". Also try changing the screen number of the entrance. If you put the entrance at the top of the level, you can use all except the very bottom screen (0x1B) with scrolling set to slow. Trying to do the same thing by putting the entrance at the bottom gives you far fewer usable screens to work with…

Having looked at the editor now, I'm starting to regret my bluster and ambition. Still, never mind, got to be worth a try! Is there any convenient list of which hex codes correspond to which level? At the moment I'm often thinking in terms of "I liked x feature in y level", but when I look for it it's quite hard to convert that into actually finding the level.

ampere

Wow, I really want to do this. Seems like there's a lot of time too, I'll have to try to put something together :D

_leech_ said:
How do you change the background scenery with one from another level?

You have to be on the level you want to add the background to then goto Level --> Copy background image and choose the background you want.

Before you need to find what level background you want and enter that into the box.

Pg Up and Down goes between levels for quick viewing. This editor really needs to add a whole bunch of PREVIEW options like for the music and backgrounds and such. I mean really it just expects you to have a bunch of levels and musics memorized?

xxjuicesxx said:
You have to be on the level you want to add the background to then goto Level --> Copy background image and choose the background you want.

Before you need to find what level background you want and enter that into the box.

Pg Up and Down goes between levels for quick viewing. This editor really needs to add a whole bunch of PREVIEW options like for the music and backgrounds and such. I mean really it just expects you to have a bunch of levels and musics memorized?

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately when I copy the new background over it comes up as a scrambled mess, even if it delete the background before copying. Hmm...

edit: Nevermind, seems to work with some backgrounds and not others.

_leech_ said:
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately when I copy the new background over it comes up as a scrambled mess, even if it delete the background before copying. Hmm...

edit: Nevermind, seems to work with some backgrounds and not others.

I think you can also save a level as a mwl. and then import it into another level. That's how I got the up and down cave level 109 into 106.

-PXG-

"This ROM does not have a 0x200 byte header"

That is the error I get whenever I try to load the ROM!

HALP!

-PXG- said:
"This ROM does not have a 0x200 byte header"

That is the error I get whenever I try to load the ROM!

HALP!

Grab a hex editor and add 512 bytes (0x200 in hex) of padding to the start of the ROM.

edit: Actually, add padding up to 0x1ff. The actual data should start at 0x200.

FightyF

Banned
Thanks for changing the rules, I never owned All Stars. Will definitely look into this in a month's time.

Though between LBP, this, and a whole wackload of games coming out in October/November, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's going to probably go with 5 levels.

I'm having some trouble with getting the punch door to get me on the other side of the netting, also I can't quite figure out how to designate which side of the netting coins, enemies and those vine enemies are on.

Any ideas?

Also coins cant go in water? When I add a coin in the area around the coin you can see air. I dunno if that makes sense...

xxjuicesxx said:
I'm having some trouble with getting the punch door to get me on the other side of the netting, also I can't quite figure out how to designate which side of the netting coins, enemies and those vine enemies are on.

Any ideas?

Also coins cant go in water? When I add a coin in the area around the coin you can see air. I dunno if that makes sense...

I'm trying to avoid that stuff altogether, keeping it old school(ish).

Top Bottom