• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In June (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure what is coming out this month? Here is a rundown of my most anticipated films.

note: I'm not sure what to expect from Cheri, My Sister's Keeper or The Proposal so I haven't included those.

10. The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (Scott, June 12th)

Synopsis: Armed men hijack a New York City subway train, holding the passengers hostage in return for a ransom, and turning an ordinary day's work for dispatcher Walter Garbe (Washington) into a face-off with the mastermind behind the crime (Travolta).

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Tony Scott has proven he can create a great action thriller. I thought his last outing with Denzel Washington, Deja Vu, was pretty entertaining so despite the lackluster trailer I will be checking this out.

9. Land of the Lost (Silberling, June 5th)

Synopsis: Three adults inadvertently stumble into a mysterious land populated by dinosaurs and other creatures, including the mysterious and dangerous race of Sleestak.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Will Ferrell and Danny McBride. Brad Silberling also proved he can direct a comedy-adventure with Lemony Snicket. I’m glad Will Ferrell has stopped making the same movie and is venturing into slightly different territory.

8. Tetro (Coppola, June 11th)

Synopsis: Bennie travels to Buenos Aires (Ehrenreich) to find his long-missing older brother (Gallo), a once-promising writer who is now a remnant of his former self. Bennie's discovery of his brother's near-finished play might hold the answer to understanding their shared past and renewing their bond.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Coppolla returns to family drama after some iffy recent history. That should be enough of a reason.

7. Away We Go (Mendes, June 5th)

Synopsis: A couple (Rudolph and Krasinski) who is expecting their first child travel around the U.S. in order to find a perfect place to start their family.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: The film seems like something of a side project for Mendes after Revolutionary Road, but the trailer looks indietastic. I'm interested in seeing if John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph can defy odds and pull off leading roles.

6. Whatever Works (Allen, June 19th)

Synopsis: An eccentric older man (David) encounters a Southern belle (Wood) and promptly falls in love. But how will the couple, her family, and his New York City friends mix?

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Vicky Cristina Barcelona was one of my favorite films last year. The trailer looks pretty funny and will be interesting to see how Allen uses Larry David.

5. Year One (Ramis, June 19th)

Synopsis: When a couple of lazy hunter-gatherers (Black and Cera) are banished from their primitive village, they set off on an epic journey through the ancient world.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Harold Ramis (Caddyshack, Groundhog Day, Vacation) is back with Michael Cera, Jack Black, and David Cross. The trailer was entertaining, looking to be one of the funnier films this summer.

4. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, June 24th)

Synopsis: Decepticon forces return to Earth on a mission to take Sam Witwicky prisoner, after the young hero learns the truth about the ancient origins of the Transformers. Joining the mission to protect humankind is Optimus Prime, who forms an alliance with international armies for a second epic battle.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Michael Bay returns and I’m guessing there will be bigger explosions, additional transformers, and more army helicopters. I'm predicting this summer blockbuster staple will be the highest grosser this year.

3. Moon (Jones, June 12th)

Synopsis: Astronaut Sam Bell (Rockwell) has a quintessentially personal encounter toward the end of his three-year stint on the Moon, where he, working alongside his computer, GERTY, sends back to Earth parcels of a resource that has helped diminish our planet's power problems.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Sam Rockwell is in the entire film alongside a Clint Mansell score. I always love some good sci-fi and this looks like it will deliver on all fronts.

2. The Hurt Locker (Bigelow, June 26th)

Synopsis: Iraq. Forced to play a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse in the chaos of war, an elite Army bomb squad unit must come together in a city where everyone is a potential enemy and every object could be a deadly bomb.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: I've seen this film and I can safely say it is the best Iraq War film to date. Filled with interesting characters and heart pounding suspense, this is one you don't want to miss.

1. The Hangover (Phillips, June 5th)

Synopsis: A Las Vegas-set comedy centered around three groomsmen who lose their about-to-be-wed buddy during their drunken misadventures, then must retrace their steps in order to find him.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: The single funniest trailer I've seen in a long time. Early screening impressions have revealed that this could be one of best comedies of the year. Todd Phillips (Old School) directs Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis in this highly anticipated adventure.

----------------------------

Avoid:

My Life in Ruins (Petrie, June 5th)

Synopsis: A travel guide (Vardalos) rediscovers her romantic side, with a very unlikely match, as she whisks a group of tourists around Greece.

Trailer

Why You Should Avoid It: I don't care how good My Big Fat Greek Wedding was, this looks terrible. If the whole film is filled with cheap jokes like the trailer (poopy?) this is one to avoid at all costs.

Imagine That (Kirkpatrick, June 12th)

Synopsis: A financial executive (Murphy) who can't stop his career downspiral is invited into his daughter's imaginary world, where solutions to his problems await.

Trailer

Why You Should Avoid It: Oh Eddie Murphy, how far can you fall? The only thing that gives this movie promise is director Karey Kirkpatrick was behind the surprisingly hilarious Over The Hedge.

Previous Months
March List
April List
May List

That's all for this month, and don't forget Public Enemies is right around the corner, on July 1st!

Do you agree? What are you watching this month?

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Away We Go might be the shittiest movie ever made. The trailer almost comes off as a parody of the kind of horrible, deadpan indie dramadies the kids love so much these days, and Jim from the Office makes it even worse.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You don't know what to expect from a treacly Nicolas Sparks-esque family drama and a Sandra Bullock comedy? Really? Really?

Blader

I saw The Hurt Locker a while back, it was really good. Some of the casting in the movie was such a cocktease though :lol

Cosmic Bus said:
You don't know what to expect from a treacly Nicolas Sparks-esque family drama and a Sandra Bullock comedy? Really? Really?

I don't think they will be horrible/good enough to be put in either list. Ryan Reynolds was in Definitely, Maybe, a chick flick that was pretty good. Test screenings for The Proposal have also been positive. I had to struggle to not put Sister's Keeper on though. I just watched the trailer and I laughed, is that bad?

Also, you can click some of the titles to go to the official NeoGaf threads :D

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
DanielPlainview said:
9. Land of the Lost (Silberling, June 5th)
Ah yes, this is that movie that my friends and I all agreed to pretend doesn't exist after we witnessed that abortion of a trailer attached to Star Trek.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Cosmic Bus said:
Oh my dear sweet lord, I swear I get cancer every time I see the trailer for My Sister's Keeper. It's like someone made a movie of the Kids in the Hall's Cancer Boy, but made it serious. vomit vomit vomit @ that disgustingly sentimental shit

Ford Prefect said:
Away We Go might be the shittiest movie ever made. The trailer almost comes off as a parody of the kind of horrible, deadpan indie dramadies the kids love so much these days, and Jim from the Office makes it even worse.

Yeah, I'm seeing a screening Thursday night not expecting much at all. We will see. Mendes is a good director, but it looks like he really didn't try this time.

Blader5489 said:
I saw The Hurt Locker a while back, it was really good. Some of the casting in the movie was such a cocktease though :lol

Seriously :lol I didn't mind though, the leads were surprisingly good.

Is Moon going to open fairly wide, or is it limited? That's the one this month that really interests me, though Year One seems like it might be decently funny as well.

I didn't know about that Coppola movie; it has a promising sounding plot, but it probably won't come around me.

Larry David in a Woody Allen movie? Weird, but I want to see it for the sheer weirdness of such a description.

Overall, it's a weaker month than May for me (saw Star Trek and Up two times each), but there seems to be a few promising ones.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Is Moon going to open fairly wide, or is it limited? That's the one this month that really interests me, though Year One seems like it might be decently funny as well.

Moon Release Dates

June 12

New York

Los Angeles

June 19

San Francisco Bay Area

San Diego

Chicago

Boston

July 3

Phoenix

Monterey

Long Beach

Sacramento

Santa Rosa

Denver

Greater Florida

Atlanta

Detroit

St. Louis

Portland

Philadelphia

Austin

Dallas

Houston

Seattle

FURTHER EXPANSION IN JULY, CHECK BACK SOON.

Cosmic Bus said:
This Sandra Bullock comedy (The Proposal) was written by Orci & Kurtzman. That alone piques my interest just a bit because they've never done this kind of flick and I dug Star Trek and Fringe. Also, it has Ryan Reynolds in it, he's always good.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Definitely seeing Away We Go, Year One, and Moon. I may see Land of the Lost depending on reviews. It might end up being another Will Ferrell, showing-everything-that-is-funny-in-the-trailer. So I will wait on that one just in case. Semi-Pro and Step-Brothers had their moments, but they were largely terrible.

I might see The Taking of the Pelham 123 if I can get over my intense hatred for all things John Travolta. Denzel is the man and Tony Scott is pretty good at making good popcorn flicks.

I saw Up tonight and was actually kind of disappointed. I hate getting old and cynical. :( The movie was cute. The story was well told and there were funny parts, but overall, I felt kind of meh.

Star Trek is the only movie for the past 6 months or so that I have thoroughly enjoyed through and through. :(

EDIT - I will see the Proposal for my wife, as well. :)

Bulla564

Banned
Knowing my friend's it will be The Hangover and Megan Fox 2 in the theaters.

For everything else, there's Blu-ray.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Maybe Year One, and maaybe Land of the Lost just for Anna Friel. Nothing else looks good at all.

JdFoX187

Banned
The Hangover really surprised me, I'm looking forward to it. I'll catch Year One and Land of the Lost as well at a matinee. The main two movies I really am looking forward to are Transformers: Rise of the Fallen and Taking of Pelham 123. I'm a big Tony Scott fan.

Proc

June looks great. There hasn't been a week that has gone by that I haven't gone to the theater since finishing school.

The Hangover is what I'll be seeing next. Cannot wait.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Moon and the hangover are the only decent looking films this month. I do love Sam Mendes and Tony Scott, but their films this month look less than promising.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is there seriously a point to these threads other than to pimp your damned site? Any film worth caring about will have, or already does have, a dedicated thread.

GAF doesn't need to turn into every other shitty forum on the web.

Dan said:
Is there seriously a point to these threads other than to pimp your damned site? Any film worth caring about will have, or already does have, a dedicated thread.

Came here to post this.

Also, the list sucks. Thanks for the heads up about My Life in Ruins. I would have seen it otherwise!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dan said:

Uh, how about you just don't click the thread and stop backseat internet parenting?

The whole thread is people enjoying it and adding to the conversation. No one cares if you don't like the thread. Don't click it.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Dan said:

cry moar.

These threads are awesome. Good job.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Ford Prefect said:

Meh, it might be ok and will probably just see a matinee of it even though I am sure I will leave the theater pissed off just like Me You and Everyone We Know. I am giving it the benefit of the doubt even though Sam Mendes directed it. I am all about getting older films about people who don't grow older. I will be in LA this weekend so I will try and go see Moon. Does 500 Days of Summer not come out this month? I think it looks like it might suffer the same thing that Away We Go has but also features this forced "look at these wacky whimsical devices just like Ameile" thing going about it too. From the trailer though, it looked like a Generation Why Working Title rom-com so that excited me. I will of course see Whatever Works opening weekend like I have been for every Woody Allen movie. Tetro excites me the most and has my favorite trailer of the year. I will probably wait for the Hurt Locker to be on DVD to see it. Also doesn't Surveillance finally come out this month? I will probably go see that too.

Cheebs

I love these threads, ignore those who complain.

Planning on seeing:
The Hangover
Transformers
Moon
Year One

Ceres

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Does 500 Days of Summer not come out this month? I think it looks like it might suffer the same thing that Away We Go has but also features this forced "look at these wacky whimsical devices just like Ameile" thing going about it too. From the trailer though, it looked like a Generation Why Working Title rom-com so that excited me.

Not till July 17 but I think that's still limited release. I may be seeing my local screening on July 28.

Link for screenings: http://rsvp2.foxsearchlight.com/signup/2

Solo

I mean the overall summer, really. Sure, there looks to be a few great things here and there, and we've already had a few last month, but things look pretty sparse overall.

Meier

Ford Prefect said:
:O I am seeing a screening of it tomorrow... it's Sam Mendes, how could it be that bad? Can't wait for Year One -- every new bit of footage makes it look really, really funny.

I'll definitely see Transformers, Whatever Works (<3 Larry) and The Hangover too. Might even check out Moon and Pelham 123. I think this looks like a solid month.

Cheebs

Solo said:
I mean the overall summer, really. Sure, there looks to be a few great things here and there, and we've already had a few last month, but things look pretty sparse overall.
It's all ok though, we have a new Scorsese movie with DiCaprio in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom