• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's Media Event of Tablet Anticipation (1/27/10 @ 10AM PST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrekt

Quick and very dirty:

TabletTranslator.jpg

Pretty big fail. I was hoping for at least gimped multitasking similar to Chrome OS where they have the taskbar at the bottom for Google Talk.

From what I can see, you can't cleanly use this thing for an IM app, Pandora, and Safari at the same time, and that's what would have been the big selling point for me as a total lounging around product.

Totakeke

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Based on what? What other product like this are you comparing it too?

Netbooks. Which is what Steve himself made the comparison against with in the first place. You can get a CULV ~10-12" netbook under 500 that's powerful enough to play 1080p videos. Of course, there's no touchscreen on those.

But yes, 630 is low for Apple, but the way Steve unveiled it sucked. He made people believe that they were going to pay 500 for the thing and everyone rejoices, then suddenly he goes, oh, that model doesn't have 3G.

Not disappointed. Doesn't have everything I was hoping for, but as a long-time Apple fan I've learned never to buy the first version of any Apple product. The first version is like a testing ground. The next version will be what this should be.

Also, multitasking is coming. You can be sure of it. They're not that dumb to not have any plans for it. iPhone OS 5.0, or something, likely.

Mrbob

I'll be holding out till at least 2nd gen, if not 3rd gen (like I did with the touch). I'll let the early adopters, hardcore fans test this one out first.

ATT covering 3G kills this for me. Hopefully in a couple years Apple opens up to different providers.

w3stfa11

evlcookie said:
11:31AM "We think we've got the goods. We think we've done it. Another thing we're excited about is that there's already 75m people who know how to use this because of how many iPhones and iPod touches we've shipped."

Yea that's kinda 75M people who won't be buying an iPad steve. It's a nice idea and all but maybe the 2nd or 3rd generation models will be more useful.

I hope you're kidding. That's exactly who they're targeting. Image the 45 year old computer-illiterate mom that loves her iphone. Guess what? She wants her computer to be exactly like that and still be able to do more and at a larger resolution (office, video, ebooks, web browsing).

Where's mah Quicktime and iTunes update?
ztay9s.png

Seeing the video made me want one.
No 3G for me, I'll stick with Wi-Fi and then my Verizon iPhone when that comes out this summer. :D

But the iPad will be excellent for at-home use. Only thing I really want that's not there that I really want/need is more Wacom style stuff.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Sigh, that price would have been great if I could have gotten the 3G along with it.

Guess I'll just go buy some used Itouch or something this weekend. There is nothing there that I can justify spending the money on at all.
Oooh maybe a Kindle as well :)

Salmonax

I guess it looks pretty good in some ways, but this seems like it might fit into that "who was looking for this, anyway?" category of Apple duds. Only time will tell.

Log4Girlz

Isn't the Kindle a pretty successful device at a similar price? This will be a monster hit. The apps that will be created for it will be a major sell to people of all ages. I think it will take time to hit its stride but believe me, this has a lot of appeal to a broad range of people.

Arnie

harSon said:
I'm not sure if the product is differentiated enough from laptops but I can definitely see an opportunity for success with it, will be interesting to see Microsoft's attempt at a Tablet.
This is a really good point. As much of an Apple fan as I am, if Microsoft developed a tablet similar to the iPad but with significant Xbox Live capabilities, I may have to bite.

WaltJay

garath said:
So no iPhone on Verizon. Well, looks like Android for me then.

That news would have stolen all the thunder from the iPad; it'll probably get announced during the summer Apply hardware refresh press event.

madmook

All I wanted was a bigger iTouch because I like to browse the web when I'm on the toilet, so this would be ideal, but I'm still on the fence because I'm assuming stuff like Hulu or Netflix online streaming will not work?

jmdajr

Real OS....that would have been something. Especially if you could switch between iphone style and the real operating system. It could go Mac OS when you dock it.

wizword

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
Isn't the Kindle a pretty successful device at a similar price? This will be a monster hit. The apps that will be created for it will be a major sell to people of all ages. I think it will take time to hit its stride but believe me, this has a lot of appeal to a broad range of people.
Kindle costs 260 $s.

a.wd

Ok for UK purchasing I will need...

- Multitasking
- Access to some version of word or compatible (I haven't used Iworks so I dont know if it does that)
- Price point £280
- A mouse with that keyboard
- Usb Storage allowed and access to my network files
- Built in Front and back camera
- Access to back up apps like drop box so I can sync apps.

This would make a great tool for some of my assistants at work, and apple claim they want these things in schools? lower the pricepoint for the UK and you might have a shot.

I don't care about 3G all that much (everywhere I go they have wifi these days) but if its got less functionality than a cheap laptop which it has and they are making it about a casual device that is purely for entertainment, well those are things that I use for entertainment.

Its very pretty and all and as my girlfriend spend our nights cuddled up on the sofa this would be a nice little quick way to check GAF while she is watching....well I don't know, I read GAF.

Talka

I wish the frame wasn't so huge. It looks like you could add maybe an inch to the screen if that black border weren't so freaking thick.

Dipswitch

Well, that was bit of a bust eh? Looks decent for media stuff, but everything else seems very underwhelming. And the e-book implementation is utterly laughable - no way in hell people are going to read full books on that screen. Jeff Bezos must be doubled over by now.

Owensboro

I can't wait to see how HP's Slate compares. More competition means more innovation. Keep it going companies!

Also, are we going to have to wait for impressions from the show floor to find out if there is actually multi-tasking?

theultimo

Well, its got a 1024x768 screen, and does not play FLAC or Ogg suprisingly. No AVI or MKV support either. Only 480p output. It does have an SD card reader, however.

starmud

For a first step; this is pretty nice... a bit more leisure tech than i would like. Obviously there's more I'd like from it but it'll probably come in time.

Overall this goes after what most average people use/like in netbooks... a little more refining for the second gen version and it could destroy most netbooks...

Sriffat

Banned
I have a very strong feeling this is the 2nd major device after Apple TV which will flop. I just get very excited for every Apple Product. Even the 3GS was just a minor upgrade over 3G but atleast it had video !

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
This is such a strange device. I'm not someone who would want it, I don't believe i'm the choice of consumer they are after.

My dad however could enjoy it. He is always sitting on the couch, typing shit to friends online on his phone while watching tv, browsing the net and so on.

I think this is for the business man that needs to show off some spreadsheets along with having a bit of fun on the way there. For the person who likes to bum around in bed or on the couch, who wants to watch a movie or read a book.

There's no real reason to take it out of the home so i can't imagine why people would want 3G. What am i going to do with an oversized iphone while i'm at the shops? A shopping list is fine but that's such a huge risk to take when it comes to theft.

I'm personally underwhelmed, But that's just me.

Empty

I love Apple stuff, own a bunch of ipods, a Macbook Pro and when i get the money; an Iphone, but damn that was unimpressive. I mean it is pretty much the safest possible design they could have for the thing, none of that innovation we saw when they first showed the iphone is visibly there today, nothing grabbing me and even artistically, though it looks predictably gorgeous with the NYT app impressing in particular, it doesn't have a distinctive design. I really just don't really see the point of the thing, and that's the worst part for me, it seems so unfocused even after all these years of hype. It is like the Macbook Air, which is fine for its niche purpose, but it was made out to be the next big thing in the ipod=>iphone line.

Maybe two revisions down the line or after some hands of time in an apple store i'll be impressed, but right now i'm underwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom