• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III Touch People Up

Gowans

Microsoft game designer Peter Molyneux took the veil off his latest role-playing game Fable III at the X10 event in San Francisco on Thursday. He showed an early build of the game that introduces a few new mechanics that are aimed, as is the developer’s wont, at enhancing the emotional connection that players feel with the game’s characters. In Fable II, you got an adorable, loyal dog. In Fable III, you can bond with other characters by touching them.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/...eaches-out-and-touches-someone/#ixzz0fGmHRWBp

Vamphuntr

I wish they would put more time on the actual battle system/combat than the social aspect. This was my main grip with Fable II. They want crazy with socializing with the villagers, buying a house (or every building in the world), marrying, sex but the combat system was extremly shallow.

farnham

Banned
0003_yoshi-touch-go_frontboxart.jpg

F Yeah Im gonna Touch you everywhere :D :D :D

What its not on DS.. lol

Nairume

Banned
Call me when he announces something meaningful that will add to the actual game.

edit: The return of quest boasting will also suffice.

kamspy

Seems like the natural progression of the "fart to communicate" mechanic that Fable II brought into the RPG limelight.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Touch them -> file molestation charges against you -> fart -> molestation charges dropped

wizword

Banned
That sounds incredibly awesome from the wired description. The touch feature seems kind of dumb like the emoticons but this is what makes it awesome.

"In the game world, which Molyneux said is modeled on Victorian, industrial revolution England, you can collect followers, then attempt to overthrow the king and become king yourself. If one of your subjects objects to your behavior, you can toss him in the dungeon or take him to your treasure room and give him some gold, all using the “touch” command, he said.
"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think Peter confused "infuriate" with "kill with laughter" when he said what the announcement would do.

All joking aside this sounds all right to me. Remember how cool it was to take Yorda around by the hand in Ico? This could be the evolution of that kind of feeling.

Also the bit about the weapons changing the way they look as you use them sounds awesome.

Nairume

Banned
Wouldn't it be neat if he took the concept of your character aging and the ability to have children and made it to where you can use the emotes to teach things to your children (or any NPC), like sword fighting or target practice, and you can have them tag along on "safer" missions, watching what Papa Hero does at work. Then when the time comes for Papa Hero to retire, Hero Jr. takes over as the new PC, continuing along the family story.

Simple, yet epic...and Molyneux will never think of it in a million years.

Vamphuntr

miladesn said:
:lol :lol :lol So this was the news that was supposed to piss people off.

I think it was the fact that there will be no HUD in the game. No health bar, no hud when shopping. Only button prompt.

Gowans

I'm really looking forward to this, my MRs will go nuts.

The stuff she likes doing most in Fable is the stuff outside the main game, all the sims style stuff. Sound like he's going to put more depth in there.

fernoca

Not to mention that all attempts fail, because you don't use Natal to touch..you just use the Xbox 360 controller..at least on the demo.
In the first example, the main character — the son of the hero from the last game — was wandering around town looking for his young daughter. When he finds her, the context-sensitive “touch” action (controlled by one of the Xbox 360’s trigger buttons) lets him pick her up and toss her playfully into the air. As they walk home, the “touch” button lets him hold her hand.

And there's no HUD (that was the pissoff announcement):
In a video interview earlier this month, Molyneux said players would be “pissed” to hear about one of Fable III’s features. What’s the scoop? There’s no health bar, he said. In fact, there’s no heads-up display elements on the screen at all.

“Look at the screen!” Molyneux gushed, gesturing at the monitor like Vanna White. “It’s completely clean! Why do we need the fucking health bar?”

Instead of having a bar to show the player’s remaining health, Fable III will take cues from action games, not RPGs, and have environmental graphic changes that show that you’re close to death.

What, I asked, about other such menus and gauges?

“The 2-D parts of Fable 1 and Fable 2 were rubbish,” he responded. “That’s why people didn’t change their clothes, or change their weapons.” In Fable 3, he said, he’s looking to make that character-customization busywork “part of the game.”
So far so good..plus you get ethereal wings if you're good, weapons will either drip blood constantly if you kill innocents or shine if you're good..plus other things on the link in the OP.

Top Bottom