• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III Touch People Up

Nairume

Banned
I never changed my clothes in the previous game because they never did anything outside of changed the initial reactions of NPCs, who all swooned after a few emotes anyway.

Denzar

Neuromancer said:
All joking aside this sounds all right to me. Remember how cool it was to take Yorda around by the hand in Ico? This could be the evolution of that kind of feeling.

Also the bit about the weapons changing the way they look as you use them sounds awesome.

The problem is that, assuming the touching will use Natal, there is a complete lack of feedback. When you "touch" something, the only thing you'll do is just move your arm/hand/foot/penis.

No sense of what you're touching or when you touch the object. It's like touching NOTHING!

DeadGzuz

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
I wish they would put more time on the actual battle system/combat than the social aspect.

This, the combat was worse in F2 than F1 and the rest was unnecessary Sims crap. The zones and loading didn't help either.

dyergram

I'm not pissed off peter don't see how it will work though Ill have my pad in my hands wont I?? I'm up for dropping the nut on npcs though...

wizword

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
This, the combat was worse in F2 than F1 and the rest was unnecessary Sims crap. The zones and loading didn't help either.
Sims part was awesome. Having a couple wives, getting fat on meat, buying real estate with all my money, were all the main reasons why I enjoyed the game.

Nairume

Banned
DeadGzuz said:

The sims crap wasn't unnecessary. It's just that they made no effort to try to make the sim and RPG aspects work together. Like I mentioned earlier on, it'd be awesome if you could use the sim aspect to become friends with people, teach them what you know, and have them tag along with you.

fernoca

Again...

(from the previous page)

Not to mention that all attempts fail, because you don't use Natal to touch..you just use the Xbox 360 controller..at least on the demo.
In the first example, the main character — the son of the hero from the last game — was wandering around town looking for his young daughter. When he finds her, the context-sensitive “touch” action (controlled by one of the Xbox 360’s trigger buttons) lets him pick her up and toss her playfully into the air. As they walk home, the “touch” button lets him hold her hand.

And there's no HUD (that was the pissoff announcement):
In a video interview earlier this month, Molyneux said players would be “pissed” to hear about one of Fable III’s features. What’s the scoop? There’s no health bar, he said. In fact, there’s no heads-up display elements on the screen at all.

“Look at the screen!” Molyneux gushed, gesturing at the monitor like Vanna White. “It’s completely clean! Why do we need the fucking health bar?”

Instead of having a bar to show the player’s remaining health, Fable III will take cues from action games, not RPGs, and have environmental graphic changes that show that you’re close to death.

What, I asked, about other such menus and gauges?

“The 2-D parts of Fable 1 and Fable 2 were rubbish,” he responded. “That’s why people didn’t change their clothes, or change their weapons.” In Fable 3, he said, he’s looking to make that character-customization busywork “part of the game.”
So far so good..plus you get ethereal wings if you're good, weapons will either drip blood constantly if you kill innocents or shine if you're good..plus other things on the link in the OP.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Oh Petey, nobody in gaming can oversell like you can.

Yes, your entirely new radical idea of a game without HUD elements is going to piss off so many people.

fernoca

Archaix said:
Oh Petey, nobody in gaming can oversell like you can.

Yes, your entirely new radical idea of a game without HUD elements is going to piss off so many people.
Well, considering that here was a thread recently about people dissapointed at games lacking HUDs and becoming a trend, he was just covering his bases.. :p ..because no matter what he or any developer announce, there are going to be a tirllion people whining for some ridiculous thing (online, because offline they just shut up and buy the game).

Nairume

Banned
Something else that would bridge the sim and the RPG aspects: dueling

Say you use the fart emote one too many times in front of some noble woman. Her husband then approaches you and challenges you to a duel. The way you handle duels go on to change how people think of you, whether you are a coward that turns them down, or you are an honorable fighter that spares his challengers, or if you are a brutal thug who slays anybody foolish enough to challenge you to a duel. RPG combat/character building is bridged with the social aspect of the game.

It'd also make the NPCs feel like they are interacting and tied to each other, rather than them just really only reacting to you.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Instead of having a bar to show the player’s remaining health, Fable III will take cues from action games, not RPGs, and have environmental graphic changes that show that you’re close to death.

I'll have a game screen covered in tomato ketchup to go please!

Danielsan

No HUD and petting animals. Revolutionary ideas Peter.
Fable 2 was such a ridiculously simple minded RPG. Yes farting and other silly emotes are truly the pinnacle of NPC interaction Peter...

Frenck

Banned
“Look at the screen!” Molyneux gushed, gesturing at the monitor like Vanna White. “It’s completely clean! Why do we need the fucking health bar?”

I love me some swearing Molyneux especially when he's right.

scotcheggz

Nairume said:
Wouldn't it be neat if he took the concept of your character aging and the ability to have children and made it to where you can use the emotes to teach things to your children (or any NPC), like sword fighting or target practice, and you can have them tag along on "safer" missions, watching what Papa Hero does at work. Then when the time comes for Papa Hero to retire, Hero Jr. takes over as the new PC, continuing along the family story.

Simple, yet epic...and Molyneux will never think of it in a million years.

Great idea, they could even have starting stats that complement your playstyle for Hero Snr. Sorta like an extension of Rune Factory 2. Loved that.

I think Molyneux is great, but sorry, I just don't take what he says seriously ever :lol

Molyneux really needs to stop running his mouth.

Or get some windows and a working internet connection in his office. Has the man played a single game released in the past 2 years?

How else do you arrive at the conclusion of "removing the HUD" being a ground-breaking announcement? I'm truly at a loss. I've been more upset when my dryer hasn't completely dried my clothes after a cycle.

I mea500 - Internal Server Error

fernoca

Nairume said:
Wouldn't it be neat if he took the concept of your character aging and the ability to have children and made it to where you can use the emotes to teach things to your children (or any NPC), like sword fighting or target practice, and you can have them tag along on "safer" missions, watching what Papa Hero does at work. Then when the time comes for Papa Hero to retire, Hero Jr. takes over as the new PC, continuing along the family story.

Simple, yet epic...and Molyneux will never think of it in a million years.
Actually, Molyneux planned to add that in Fable II, and even making the main character mortal and when killed you controlled his son/daughter taking revenge..but decided not to, because it opened a loophole of people basically having babies like crazy...across different regions and that if he limited the babies to just one per game it wouldn't make sense. So yeah, he already thought that..but is looking for a good way to implement it, maybe Fable III will have it, who knows.

Nairume

Banned
Something else I thought was lacking in Fable 2 and Molyneux will probably completely overlook in F3.

So after the
decade+ time skip
you return to find that the world has moved forward and changed depending on your actions prior to
the skip
. Of course, there's a glaring omission in that the children that were running around the world that you saw before are still exactly as they were when you left.

Why not have it to where they grow up as time moves, and your actions inspire them. Act as a thug, and you might cause some of the boys to grow up and become like-minded thugs that harass the other towns members.

Frenck

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
Molyneux really needs to stop running his mouth.

Or get some windows and a working internet connection in his office. Has the man played a single game released in the past 2 years?

How else do you arrive at the conclusion of "removing the HUD" being a ground-breaking announcement? I'm truly at a loss. I've been more upset when my dryer hasn't completely dried my clothes after a cycle.

I mea500 - Internal Server Error

Sounds like he removed almost the entire UI , not just the HUD.

Linkified

WanderingWind said:
WHAT? Why didn't anybody tell me! WTF, people.

Yeah it was kinda put in there just to show time had passed when you went forward in time in the game, I think it changed like 3 times.

Stealth edit: I think you may be sarcastic I dunno its late here and I'm not well.

Quagm1r3

Vamphuntr said:
I wish they would put more time on the actual battle system/combat than the social aspect. This was my main grip with Fable II. They want crazy with socializing with the villagers, buying a house (or every building in the world), marrying, sex but the combat system was extremly shallow.

This x 100000000000. Combat got so boring in II that I didn't even complete the game.

Lijik

I can't wait to see what early on joke involving this mechanic VGCats is going to rip off wholesale and merely insert cats into.

Nairume

Banned
fernoca said:
Actually, Molyneux planned to add that in Fable II, and even making the main character mortal and when killed you controlled his son/daughter taking revenge..but decided not to, because it opened a loophole of people basically having babies like crazy...across different regions and that if he limited the babies to just one per game it wouldn't make sense. So yeah, he already thought that..but is looking for a good way to implement it, maybe Fable III will have it, who knows.

There are many different simple solutions that could have handled it, like just designating which kid you would switch to upon death, or just having the game pick randomly. Then just make it to where the new guy's kids are the one that replace him when he dies

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Linkified said:
Yeah it was kinda put in there just to show time had passed when you went forward in time in the game, I think it changed like 3 times.

Stealth edit: I think you may be sarcastic I dunno its late here and I'm not well.

No, that was sincere. I don't remember planting a tree in Fable 2...but I can't recall much about that game, save for a vague sense of disappointment.

Salz01

When I read that there are no health bars, but only visual cues.... I cant help but think my screen is going to be cluttered with red vein crap when I'm about to die like in ME2.

Linkified

WanderingWind said:
No, that was sincere. I don't remember planting a tree in Fable 2...but I can't recall much about that game, save for a vague sense of disappointment.

Its just after you do the temple with the parady of the character from Heavenly Sword theres a seed that is planted automatically and it grows.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can't wait to touch little kids with my right trigger

If you know what I mean.

Wag

Wow. I can see it now...Police will be using NATAL and Fable III to investigate...Well, you see where this is going...

Molineux needs to get back to his fucking shed. Where's the next Populous, Syndicate, Magic Carpet, Theme Park, hell even Black and White?

No HUD? Touching? I was smacking a monkey about almost a decade ago!

Danielsan said:
No HUD and petting animals. Revolutionary ideas Peter.
When did he say it was? Seriously, I know Molyneux likes his hyperbole, but you don't have to jump on every game design decision he makes as if he's attempting to pass it off as more than it is unless he has explicitly stated so. He seems a lot more subdued and honest when talking about his games lately.

What's the deal with everyone hating on Fable II? It was a great game, fun, lots of things to do, and enjoyable in every aspect, I don't remember them claiming it was going to be the next Mass Effect in depth and realism. Who cares if some of their promises don't ring true? That's the case with every game, disappointment in some aspect after it was released.

People need to stop breaking down games into bits and pieces and analyzing everything; when you do that, every game sucks. The word "revolutionary" needs to stop coming up.

Ten-Song

Hooray, more stupid shit in Fable games. For all of Peter's talk about trying to establish an emotional connection with characters, he seems to forget that the best way to do that, is by... oh I don't know, having some ACTUAL FUCKING CHARACTERS in the game. The Fable series is nothing but ugly NPC's with three annoying lines of chatter that can have like two different reactions to what you do. There is no emotion in Fable 1 or 2, both games are just really bad versions of the Sims that have a really bad version of Zelda attached to them.

Acosta

The most obvious way that weapons will transform is that they'll grow bigger and more powerful the more you use them, but there's much more to it than that. The visual style of your weapon will change quite radically according to what you use it for so, to give you the examples that we got to see for ourselves today, the head of a large axe that has presumably been used to kill a lot of beasts appears to be made of bones, while a sword that has been used to commit evil acts such as killing innocents will forever appear to be covered in blood. And if you're still not excited, perhaps hearing that you'll be able to trade your unique (or at the very least, uniquely named) weapons with other players online might do the trick.

That is a great idea, love it.

Top Bottom