• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III Touch People Up

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
11tmu5j.gif

Oh Peter, this pic seems appropriate here as well as the OT pics that make you laugh thread.

So I guess this means we're able to develop a certain connection with a character depending on where we touch them.

If it's on the head, it's all intellectual. If it's on the downstairs, sexy time. I get it.

jrricky

Banned
God, everytime I hear molyneuxs name, the hate I have for him being a game developer grows...
DECK'ARD said:
11tmu5j.gif

Oh Peter, this pic seems appropriate here as well as the OT pics that make you laugh thread.
:lol:lol

Nairume

Banned
Devil Theory said:
What's the deal with everyone hating on Fable II? It was a great game, fun, lots of things to do, and enjoyable in every aspect, I don't remember them claiming it was going to be the next Mass Effect in depth and realism. Who cares if some of their promises don't ring true? That's the case with every game, disappointment in some aspect after it was released.

People need to stop breaking down games into bits and pieces and analyzing everything; when you do that, every game sucks. The word "revolutionary" needs to stop coming up.
The problem I had is a lot of the stuff in the game really didn't do anything that amounted to enjoyment. The social aspect of the game was so shallow and effortless that there is never any point in which you feel like you've accomplished anything. Even marriage and parenthood doesn't feel like anything big, since you start out with a house and it's not like your spouse and children really do anything anyway. You don't even get the enjoyment of seeing your kids grow up. They are just toggled from being infants to tweens over the course of a single event.

Sure, there are "lots" of sim-y things to do, but the game gives you virtually no incentive to do anything. All that's left is an equally shallow action-RPG that somehow manages to feel like a step back from its predecessor.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Molleneu expected peoples to get pissy about something that half of the games on the market already does? :| Poor showing Peter, I expected full, realistic day/night cycles based on the system clock and a realistic rest system. Can only play during the day and have to leave the system on overnight to sleep! /Mr. Hot Air Balloon

Nairume said:
The problem I had is a lot of the stuff in the game really didn't do anything that amounted to enjoyment. The social aspect of the game was so shallow and effortless that there is never any point in which you feel like you've accomplished anything. Even marriage and parenthood doesn't feel like anything big, since you start out with a house and it's not like your spouse and children really do anything anyway. You don't even get the enjoyment of seeing your kids grow up. They are just toggled from being infants to tweens over the course of a single event.

Sure, there are "lots" of sim-y things to do, but the game gives you virtually no incentive to do anything. All that's left is an equally shallow action-RPG that somehow manages to feel like a step back from its predecessor.

When you start to ask for deeper relationship/emotional character consequences, you start changing the structure of the game and what it's supposed to be. Meaning, action RPG with more than what most other RPG's give you, but not the Sims. As far as I know, no game really gives you a good incentive to pursue a relationship with another character, it doesn't drastically change the story or alter the entire universe, it's equally as shallow in Mass Effect or other games. (That I've played, anyway)

Maybe it's because I never had high expectations for the Fable games to begin with (or what people say about them), but I think they meet par.

That HUD change (or lack of) and subtle visual cues sound pretty interesting. But what I'd really love to see is attractive female characters, at least the one I'm controlling. Please Petey.

Linkified

bengraven said:
He's getting worse.

Oh c'mon hes better than the days of speaking to OXM about BC and The Movies, I loved Fable 2 it was probably because of the more social and simish elements. If they can flesh those parts out more, then day 1.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
bengraven said:
He's getting worse.

I think we're forgetting how much of a legitimate crazy person Molyneux looked like after pre-relesae Fable rantings. "People will get pissed off about no HUD" is stupid, but it's not Golden Age Molyneux Stupid.

Didn't Molyneux say just prior to Milo's debut that their latest technology would grace the cover of Nature? Hmmmm I don't think he's reigned it in at all. :lol

bengraven

Linkified said:
Oh c'mon hes better than the days of speaking to OXM about BC and The Movies, I loved Fable 2 it was probably because of the more social and simish elements. If they can flesh those parts out more, then day 1.

I loved Fable 1 AND 2, but unless you count the fact that I probably banged my wife the night I bought the game, there was no geekasm for me as promised.

Archaix said:
I think we're forgetting how much of a legitimate crazy person Molyneux looked like after pre-relesae Fable rantings. "People will get pissed off about no HUD" is stupid, but it's not Golden Age Molyneux Stupid.

True, but after Fable 1 he promised to calm down and he did a bit. But he's getting back to Fable/BC level insanity.

Speaking of which, there's ZERO reason not to make BC now, PM.

In regards to Peter Molyneux, who people love trashing because he dreams big, talks about his ideas and then often can't deliver:

Theodore Roosevelt said:
It is not the critic who counts; nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcomings; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end, the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Give him a break people. I'd rather have developers dare greatly and sometimes fail than developers who continue to crank out the generic military shooters.

bengraven

Look, I liked his under-delivered games, despite them being...well, anyway, I like them, I like Peter Moly, and I LOVE the guys at Big Blue Box.

But even I muttered under my breath, "He's fucking insane..." when he did his "tada" moment about the lack of HUD.

InaudibleWhispa said:

He was improving with his insane self-grandiose quotes after Fable 1, realizing he promised far too much and didn't deliver.

And now he's getting more masturbatory again.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Did PM ever implement that demo of a guy in a bar and a fight happens? That was some cool shit.

No...and he won't because of the design concepts. It was all evnrionment interaction combat, everything was context sensative in the environment. Think Gears 1 getting stuck on walls you didn't want to but only it is picking fights you don't want to. :lol

bengraven said:
And now he's getting more masturbatory again.
The game is in it's "final edit", I doubt he's making any huge promise he can't deliver at this stage. Besides, nothing he has said about Fable III seems that unachievable. Sounds like some good ideas to me...

Holy fuck GAF, did you all meet Peter in a bar where he proceeded to slip a pill one of your drinks, only for you to wake up the next day being unable to walk properly again for weeks?

Peter's hyper-bowl died after Fable 1, GAF however continues to hype the hell out of anything he says to foolish extents. He didn't mention a thing about it being ground braking, he smugly smirked and stated some fans would get annoyed about it because he assumed some people might not like the idea of taking the HUD/menus out of an RPG. How many other menuless RPGs out there exist? Is it hard to add 2 + 2 together are do you really consider him to be stupid for it?

Also "touching" will hopefully replace the fucking awful emote system. Contact and animation are simple ways to actually create an emotional reaction on screen: for example in Bioshock 2 I always had an urge to protect the little sisters when I picked them up due to a basic animation. It wasn't a matter of there being any character development or dialogue, just a matter of me lifting a little girl onto my shoulders as I thought "come on up lil' buddy" and the connection was there. If they can implement this in a meaningful way then it would be a huge leap forwards from juvenile shit like farting in peoples faces or pulling out the guns to make people love you.

Nairume

Banned
Devil Theory said:
When you start to ask for deeper relationship/emotional character consequences, you start changing the structure of the game and what it's supposed to be. Meaning, action RPG with more than what most other RPG's give you, but not the Sims. As far as I know, no game really gives you a good incentive to pursue a relationship with another character, it doesn't drastically change the story or alter the entire universe, it's equally as shallow in Mass Effect or other games. (That I've played, anyway)

Maybe it's because I never had high expectations for the Fable games to begin with (or what people say about them), but I think they meet par.

The later Persona games and Dragon Age both reward you for taking the time to build relationships with other characters. In the case of Persona, you get some handy incentives, in that characters that like you will take fatal hits in your place and people who really like you unlock better Personas.

If you want something that is older AND sim-ish, take a look at Harvest Moon. Sure, you might not get anything directly out of it, but the amount of effort, time, and monetary saving required to build up a relationship and get married makes it feel like you've really accomplished something.

You can even find incentive for pointless stuff, as long as it's fun. Running amuck in GTA, for example, has no real point to it, but it's at least fun.

In Fable 2, you just press a few emote buttons and any NPC around you instantly becomes your best friend. Give the lucky lady/guy an easy to get item, and you are married. You can easily do it within the first few hours of the game. The ability to have children is even more pointless. It's not even fun. In all honesty, the only incentive within Fable 2 to do any of the relationship stuff are for achievements. When achievements are the only incentive to do something that is considered one of a game's defining features, I'm sorry, but somebody has their priorities on the wrong place.

Also, I really didn't go into the game with high expectations, and wouldn't have even bothered playing it if a friend hadn't bothered me to at least try it out. If anything, I went in with low expectations, and the game failed to even meet those.

Nairume said:
I thought all that stuff in Fable 2 was great. Different strokes for different folks I guess and remember PM wanted the game to be accessible to everyone. The average gamer he was going for doesn't want to spend 80+hours trying to get a video game character to fall in love.

fernoca

Spirit of Jazz said:
Holy fuck GAF, did you all meet Peter in a bar where he proceeded to slip a pill one of your drinks, only for you to wake up the next day being unable to walk properly again for weeks?

Peter's hyper-bowl died after Fable 1, GAF however continues to hype the hell out of anything he says to foolish extents. He didn't mention a thing about it being ground braking, he smugly smirked and stated some fans would get annoyed about it because he assumed some people might not like the idea of taking the HUD/menus out of an RPG. How many other menuless RPGs out there exist? Is it hard to add 2 + 2 together are do you really consider him to be stupid for it?

Also "touching" will hopefully replace the fucking awful emote system. Contact and animation are simple ways to actually create an emotional reaction on screen: for example in Bioshock 2 I always had an urge to protect the little sisters when I picked them up due to a basic animation. It wasn't a matter of there being any character development or dialogue, just a matter of me lifting a little girl onto my shoulders as I thought "come on up lil' buddy" and the connection was there. If they can implement this in a meaningful way then it would be a huge leap forwards from juvenile shit like farting in peoples faces or pulling out the guns to make people love you.
Yeah, but what you said makes sense...considering that the first page is basically people replying to the title of the thread, and I had to post the same thing..twice.....yeah..get your common sense and logic out of here!! :p

Linkified

bengraven said:
I loved Fable 1 AND 2, but unless you count the fact that I probably banged my wife the night I bought the game, there was no geekasm for me as promised.

What geekasms were you promissed? The dog worked found treasure chests, attacked enemies crawled back to a pub, breadcrumb trail worked, one button combat worked.

fernoca

Nairume said:
Give the lucky lady/guy an easy to get item, and you are married. You can easily do it within the first few hours of the game.
Guess my version of the game was different, because in my version to get married not only I had to flirt like crazy and gave some specific gifts, but also had to buy a wedding ring (a good one, because there was a fake one that depending on the person he/she was going to reject it), but also had to save to buy a house (you can't get married if you don't own a house)...and to avoid that he/she left me, I had to buy stuff for the house and give them some gifts.

The female one left me after discovering I was married to a guy.. :lol

I love how some hate is so strong and on such auto-pilot, that people are now pretending (literally making up the situation in their mind) as if Peter actually said the touch mechanic it would be "revolutionary".. :lol

Game sounds great so far.
I'm most relieved to hear that the combat is remaining..phew! :D

fernoca said:
Guess my version of the game was different, because in my version to get married not only I had to flirt like crazy and gave some specific gifts, but also had to buy a wedding ring (a good one, because there was a fake one that depending on the person he/she was going to reject it), but also had to save to buy a house (you can't get married if you don't own a house)...and to avoid that he/she left me, I had to buy stuff for the house and give them some gifts.

The female one left me after discovering I was married to a guy.. :lol

You must have been an "evil" character because on my pure good play i couldnt get people to leave me alone they instantly loved me with no emotes or gifts, got extremely annoying when it was hard to leave a building with all the ladies blocking the exit. :lol

Nairume said:
The later Persona games and Dragon Age both reward you for taking the time to build relationships with other characters.

In Fable 2, you just press a few emote buttons and any NPC around you instantly becomes your best friend.

In the games you mentioned you simply mash a single button to get through poorly written/awkward dialogue trees. Is it in any way meaningful? Do you get a buzz when you select the girlfriend option over the friend one for Chie? Whilst I don't think Fable handles relationships well, as I said the emote shit is terrible; at least it sows the seeds for something more dynamic and by simplifying things it cuts the fat that burdens the other titles you mentioned. Instead of pressing A to read through 13 pages of dialogue you have no control over other than a few options that will +1, +2, -1 to your relationship points, you just press A to get to the baby making. Hey, that's a good few hours of my life saved!

Of course I'm ignoring the fact that the other titles are attempting to make you care for specific relationship you're meant to have with a specific character. Fable attempts to have you care for a relationship and nothing more. It doesn't matter who your family are, just that you know your avatar has a loving relationship with them.

From here Lionhead have a much easier job; have your character woo another, express their animations together becoming more/less intimate depending on what's happening over time. That's really the only way a relationship makes sense, and ditching emotes means you'll be having a conversation, or sharing an awkward first kiss, or a desperate loving embrace when your character returns from a perilous quest. Contextual animation could get rid of what makes relationships in Fable so unrelatable and gimmicky, it's a huge step up from mashing the same emote over and over if they can do it right.

The hard part would be dealing with the variables, but I've already wasted too much of your time with this post.

Speevy

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
In the games you mentioned you simply mash a single button to get through poorly written/awkward dialogue trees. .

Bioware games don't have poor writing, and you can't make someone your best friend right away. You have to earn it through item collection and choices of which they approve.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Speevy said:
Bioware games don't have poor writing, and you can't make someone your best friend right away. You have to earn it through item collection and choices of which they approve.

I wasn't really going to say anything, (because you'll never change his mind) but when somebody is in favor of removing dialogue in favor of farting noises so that he "doesn't waste hours" of his "life," it begs a couple of questions.

One. Why do you even play RPGs? Complaining about there being a ton of dialogue in a BioWare RPG is sort of like complaining that there are lots of explosions in a Modern Warfare game. Clearly, the genre isn't for you.

Two. How, exactly, does one element of a video game waste your life more than another? Whether you're "mashing A" get skip past all that pesky story, plot and characterization (which is funny, because apparently the writing is all crap, but how can you know that if you're skipp...OWOWOWOW) or jumping through flaming bacon hoops on a jet-powered Ferrari...you're really just sitting on your arse. If you feel they're wasting your life, stop playing. Go buy a Jetski or something.

Top Bottom