• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Zelda is too Complicated and wants Zelda Wii more Approachable

SMG2 thread was getting WAY OT, so I thought we should have a separate thread for this:

Thanks to Farnham for the translation:

i have to revise the stuff i wrote a little bit since i just watched the vid about 1 hour ago and wrote it off my memory but i dont want to make a false translation of miyamoto stuff

- he says that the artwork shown is very important to the story
- you will see after you play it on e3. you will see how fun the game is after you play it
- two things were important : making something surprisingly new and satisfying the fans
- usually they make a demo movie and finish the game according to that. this time they made game mechanics first.

Here's his post before the above:

he says regarding to zelda that this time they made the game system and structure first and then made the looks of the game. usually it was the contrary. also he says that the artwork that was shown is representative of how the game looks and feels. he said that they are focusing on making zelda more approachable since it has become to complicated. game will be shown at e3

And here's the link to the video interview:

http://www.gamingmedia.de/videos,id335,shigeru-miyamoto.html

So maybe Farnham or anyone else could clarify on the approachable comment.

EDIT-I really don't mind Zelda Wii being fun and accesible, as long as the gameplay isn't dumbed down. After watching the latest SMG2 videos and realizing how fun and creative it looks, I was encouraged by Miyamoto's comment on Zelda Wii.

EDITx2-Another poster has translated the video interview:

Originally Posted by selig:
It´s purely relating to controls. He says "We put a lot of effort into making the the controls gamer-friendly, because Zelda has become complicated". No dumbing down of the actual gameplay or whatever someone could interpret without context

For the love of God, if it means it'll be anything like Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks I'm going to blow a gasket. If it means it'll be the Zelda equivalent to NSMB Wii on the other hand, I could certainly live with that.

edit: Hi OP! :p

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Oh boy.

23s94du.jpg

Let's do this

Please, whatever you do, just don't use Conan music in your reveal trailer!

If they were so concerned about living up to demo movies, they shouldn't make them so pant-jizzingly exciting like that. :/

darkwings

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
For the love of God, if it means it'll be anything like Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks I'm going to blow a gasket. If it means it'll be the Zelda equivalent to NSMB Wii on the other hand, I could certainly live with that.

Zelda should stay away as far as possible from the DS installations. Especially Spirit Tracks which I thought was a borefest thanks to the on rails train rides.

selig

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
So maybe Farnham or anyone else could clarify on the approachable comment.

It´s purely relating to controls. He says "We put a lot of effort into making the the controls gamer-friendly, because Zelda has become complicated". No dumbing down of the actual gameplay or whatever someone could interpret without context.

Can't wait to see and play it. I'm glad they started with mechanics this time around -- it suggests they're going to change up the formula a bit this time around. Exactly what Zelda needs right about now.

I'm confused... should I be happy or worried? Enlighten me GAF!

PS: They better not mess with the most important things in Zelda: exploration and dungeons...

jman2050

Zelda fans complain about [insert anything remotely related to Zelda here], sky is blue, grass is green, water is wet.

Let me in

Okay, as long as it's fun I don't mind if they make some changes. I want the feeling I had when I played WW to come back.

My fingers are crossed, hell at this point my balls are crossed somehow I guess, but this is the Zelda that they seemed to have taken a step back and said, okay, we need to do something a bit different here. Amir0x and several others have mentioned how the very first Zelda had the best approach: throw you into Hyrule with nothing really to go on. Sure, after a bit of play you know what you're supposed to be doing, but they could really go for the initial sense of scale and traversal presented in the original. When you look at the overall map of the first Zelda, you know, it doesn't look that big or super impressive. But back in the day when you didn't know where you'd end up if you went to the screen to the left, or up, you know it really added an incredible illusion of exploration and you truly felt lost in this really mythical and interesting fantasy world.

Please bring this back.

Eteric Rice

GrotesqueBeauty said:

Same here.

Then again, ST was fine except that you couldn't explore. If they made something like Spirit Track with exploring, I'd be okay with it.

I hope this just means there won't be a pointless "tutorial" that doesn't really teach you anything at the start of the game like Twilight Princess.

Anth0ny

- usually they make a demo movie and finish the game according to that. this time they made game mechanics first.

So no more awesome pre-release screenshots that never come to fruition? :D

; _ ;

cosmicblizzard said:
Maybe I should clarify. Of course someone will always complain, but there isn't some set group or set number of people who will complain regardless of the actual quality. The whole "haters gonna hate" card is massively overplayed.

MightyHedgehog said:
Sounds potentially awesome. Zelda's been stuck in a rut since OoT. The time for reinvention is long overdue.
Majora's Mask was "stuck in a rut"? Funny, I thought it was one of the most original games in the series.

selig said:
It´s purely relating to controls. He says "We put a lot of effort into making the the controls gamer-friendly, because Zelda has become complicated". No dumbing down of the actual gameplay or whatever someone could interpret without context.

Oh I see... thanks for clarifying that. I almost lost faith in the series with the thread title...

DarknessTear said:
I don't know how anyone could consider Zelda complicated. =/
I think modern day Nintendo has a hard time differentiating between complex and convoluted. Something can have depth and still be accessible, and conversely something can be shallow and unintuitive.

Wait, did Farnham revise this
he says that the artwork that was shown is representative of how the game looks and feels
to this
he says that the artwork shown is very important to the story
Because if he didn't I so called it in the E309 thread where we first discussed that leaked pic.

*preemptively pats self on back*

Damn, hope it's not dumbed down like Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass! I'll be extremely sad if it's too easy for middle aged soccer moms.

Still will buy it though.

nickcv

selig said:

so they are saying that with the game mechanics they implemented in this zelda the control scheme was getting too complicated so they studied a way to make the controls feel more natural?

if that's it i'm really glad about it... it means that we are going to get a pure hardcore adventure game and with some really twisted game mechanics.

Keep it on guys. My expectations are really high this time.

btw we should put the correct translation in the op before it's too late...

Blueblur1

Lost Fragment said:
Oh boy.

http://i44.tinypic.com/23s94du.jpg[img]

Let's [I]do this[/I][/QUOTE]
This is much more appropriate.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Blueblur1/GAF/ReggiePop.jpg

DarknessTear said:
I don't know how anyone could consider Zelda complicated. =/
TP was bloated, slow-moving, thrice warmed-over trash. Sure, it had some good stuff and it sated the desires of certain corners' calls for prettier, more modern visuals with tons of pointless cinematics, but it was suffocating with all of the coddling and tutorial-laden progression. Maybe the most soulless of all 3D Zeldas... That and, if you played them since OoT, it felt too much like more of the same and even more by-the-numbers than before. A new beginning is a good idea, especially if you want to really build the new one for the new interface possibilities.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Everyone loves Super Mario Galaxy. I'm sure the Managers of EAD won't stifle the Zelda' teams desire to compete as the premier Nintendo core franchise.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This thread title is a bit misleading if Miyamoto is only talking about the controls.

It's food for trolls!

Top Bottom