• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Zelda is too Complicated and wants Zelda Wii more Approachable

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
A fantastic idea with misguided direction. The game was too simply presented while also having a sub-layer of complexity that only true music-enthusiasts would discover. It didn't link audiences together quite well enough, and in the end probably would've been better off marketed separately from the "Wii ___" line.

A great concept. Yes. Terrible development direction. Yes. "Only a true music-enthusiasts" would enjoy? That is unequivocally false. Miyamoto "managed" that project just as he does all off the projects released and unreleased by the staff of 500+ at EAD. Truthfully, if you want to know the truth, there is a good 2-4 people who do Miyamoto's exact job of managing/supervising the development of every EAD game. The problem is they aren't famous / PR worthy enough to appear in the PR interviews the company publishes to promote the games.

Not that I think those 3-4 superiors are the people to congratulate for the development of the game. But truthfully, there are several older designers doing Miyamoto's exact job on each big EAD game that the younger staff members develop.

jay

Shikamaru Ninja said:
A great concept. Yes. Terrible development direction. Yes. "Only a true music-enthusiasts" would enjoy? That is unequivocally false. Miyamoto "managed" that project just as he does all off the projects released and unreleased by the staff of 500+ at EAD. Truthfully, if you want to know the truth, there is a good 2-4 people who do Miyamoto's exact job of managing/supervising the development of every EAD game. The problem is they aren't famous / PR worthy enough to appear in the PR interviews the company publishes to promote the games.

Not that I think those 3-4 superiors are the people to congratulate for the development of the game. But truthfully, there are several older designers doing Miyamoto's exact job on each big EAD game that the younger staff members develop.

Your point is he gets too much credit and so isn't responsible for making great games? I don't understand. Should I trust you because you have kanji under your name?

Alex

Depends on what he considers to be too complicated. It's a ridiculously simple series, but it has many needlessly convoluted elements and a piss poor UI for what it is.

You could do a lot of housework and still expand upon the gameplay, although that's not what I think will happen. :lol We'll see, I just want something different out of Zelda now, as it stands I've no heavy interest in another LttP styled title, myself. Another shake up though, yeah, bring it on.

So this is overall good news to me.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
jay said:
Your point is he gets too much credit and so isn't responsible for making great games? I don't understand. Should I trust you because you have kanji under your name?
He's EAD Ninja and he's been around here longer than you. That is enough trust.

ShockingAlberto said:
GAF needs a reboot more than Zelda. You guys are pretty damn predictable.
True, but in all fairness "guy who critiques GAF" fits that mold as well as anything else in this thread.

I guess we're all victims of message board determinism. :(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
GrotesqueBeauty said:
True, but in all fairness "guy who critiques GAF" fits that mold as well as anything else in this thread.

I guess we're all victims of message board determinism. :(

this is a way of dancing around "he who smelt it dealt it"

and i admire your effort

Majukun

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Did EAD Tokyo come up with the idea of gravity and spherical worlds, or was it Miyamoto?

EAD tokyo.in fact Miyamoto was not too sure about the whole idea.

pakkit

Banned
Majukun said:
Iwata Asks: Super Mario Galaxy Vol. 1
Iwata said:
Incidentally, I had heard about the spherical platforms from Miyamoto-san more than five years ago, though at the time, I didn't quite understand why having spherical platforms would be so ground-breaking. However, as Mario Galaxy began to take shape, I finally started to understand.
Koizumi said:
At the time, I felt the same way. It sounded interesting, but I wasn’t sure whether or not it would be worth the effort. Thinking back, this probably was a thought that was shared by everyone on the staff. But Miyamoto-san kept saying over and over again that he wanted to make it happen.

AniHawk said:
Four Swords Adventure, Link's Crossbow Training, whatever the hell Phantom Hourglass was, etc

Fuck. I think my mind blocked those out for some reason. Still doesn't come close to the amount of spinoffs Mario has though.

Though isn't Four Swords Adventure kind of mainline?

jay

Majukun said:

Thought it was common knowledge Miyamoto wanted the spherical worlds. Then again I haven't been here that long so what do I know.

Hunahan

Banned
Zelda was getting too formulaic. A mixup will be good for the series.

Hopefully this can manage to feel new and exciting. That's all I am really looking for.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jay said:
Thought it was common knowledge Miyamoto wanted the spherical worlds. Then again I haven't been here that long so what do I know.

i would be much more interested to hear if the concept of moving the series into space and segmenting parts of challenges into planetoids was his as well. more than the spherical worlds, the ability to be untethered to central theme or design restrictions when maximizing platforming goodness is the real revelation of mario galaxy for me.

Rash said:
Miyamoto is responsible for tweaks in game design that push things further into perfection. That, and his ideas just add personality to games. EAD Tokyo is full or extreme talent without him, true, but having him there is possibly what takes the games from just being "very good" to being masterpieces.
wat

jay

beelzebozo said:
i would be much more interested to hear if the concept of moving the series into space and segmenting parts of challenges into planetoids was his as well. more than the spherical worlds, the ability to be untethered to central theme or design restrictions when maximizing platforming goodness is the real revelation of mario galaxy for me.

Mario 64 in space wouldn't be anything like Galaxy so it's not as if the sphere element is a minor detail. I don't think we should give Miyamoto full credit for every game he has worked on, it just seems odd to me that a lot of people like to paint him as some old senile guy trying to ruin their favorite games.

Whatever the case, I was just told I am wrong about what I think of a developer because an older member (who is younger than me) says another older member has better opinions in part because he registered first. The post you responded to was made in that context.

Vinci

Danish
I'm really, really looking forward to seeing what they've come up with. I'm not a fan of the 3D Zelda games overly much, so I'm curious to see if they've come up with something that I could get into.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jay said:
Mario 64 in space wouldn't be anything like Galaxy so it's not as if the sphere element is a minor detail. I don't think we should give Miyamoto full credit for every game he has worked on, it just seems odd to me that a lot of people like to paint him as some old senile guy trying to ruin their favorite games.

Whatever the case, I was just told I am wrong about what I think of a developer because an older member (who is younger than me) says another older member has better opinions in part because he registered first. The post you responded to was made in that context.

:lol

gotcha.

yeah, i think miyamoto is a damn genius, so i am not sure where i fall in this argument. i was just pointing out that i think the segmenting of the levels and the setting itself was as brilliant a stroke as anything.

miyamoto strikes me as being in exactly the right position for where he is as a game designer: not directing games, but just tossing out interesting ideas that get implemented by extremely talented people. he's got so much creativity sometimes i get the impression that it can run a little wild sometimes and step beyond interest to people like me, so push comes to shove, if he's interested in designing NINTENDOGS and WII MUSIC, i'd at least like him to still be dropping the occasional nugget of creativity in on SMG and zelda.

markot

Banned
Lots of people seem to have problems with 3d controls.

Just look at the sales of Mario Galaxy V NSMBWii.

Both are great games, I prefer Galaxy, but if you give it to a nubby no gamer, they always prefer NSMB, and have tonnes of fun with it.

>.< While for gamers, interacting with 3d worlds and what not is second nature, for alot of people, it takes alot of time and learning to get comfortable with it.

It took alot of jumping around in Mario 64 in the garden to get used to it and comfortable too.

You have to control a camera and interact in a 3d environment, its just not as easy or natural as 2d.

camineet

Banned
why has nobody (i think nobody) mentioned what EAD / Miyamoto doing with Motion Plus in regard to how the new Zelda controls ?

Fugu

I think Miyamoto is too inconsistent and too ill-defined to be anything but a PR soak. He obviously has a lot of good ideas but I'm wary of what should actually be credited to him.

This is a bizarre statement because the most innovative part of Zelda is the controls. They're not new but they're still the best in the business.

AniHawk

Himuro said:
Have you played Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass? And you wonder why people are reacting this way? The thing is, we don't know what to expect from Miyamoto.

I thought the DS Zelda team was off in its little corner somewhere. In interviews it didn't sound like even Aonuma had a ton to do with those games.

That said, at least Spirit Tracks had great dungeons. The rest of the game is worse than Phantom Hourglass, but it's not an abomination through-and-through.

Big One

Banned
pirata said:
This. I just wish he would leave Aonuma alone.
The last time he "bothered" Aonuma we got Ocarina of Time, and when he didn't have an input we got everything else after it; aka, mixed results using the same groundwork laid by Ocarina of Time. So the more he "bothers" Aonuma the more fresh take on the series we're going to get, I'd (personally) imagine. More Miyamoto work on the series is definitely something I would like to see.

Blader

Not excited about the idea of an easier Zelda, but it sounds like they're breaking away from the Ocarina/Wind Waker/Twilight Princess structure, which could be interesting.

Shanoa

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Mass Transit.

8vvviq.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Fugu said:
I think Miyamoto is too inconsistent and too ill-defined to be anything but a PR soak. He obviously has a lot of good ideas but I'm wary of what should actually be credited to him.

This is a bizarre statement because the most innovative part of Zelda is the controls. They're not new but they're still the best in the business.

Innovative =! Approachable

Diffense

One think I missed every since OoT is teh way the jump slash worked.
You had to choose the right moment to execute it and backflip or sidestep out of the way.
In tWW, IIRC, they replaced it with the "Spiky A" context attack which automatically dodged for you.

I thought that in many of OoT's battles you actually felt more in control and winning by your own skill because of the slightly more manual controls.
So I hope that, if anything, the greater naturalness of Wiimote + MP will allow them to return more control to the player.

fernoca

Argh..this thread's a mess!! :lol
And to top it all, it was taken from the Galaxy 2 thread, because people were talking about Zelda..so what do we find in the Zelda thread? People talking about Mario galaxy.

At least the ones making the darn game; are not in this thread..well I hope...

No matter the game, people here will be disappointed:
  • When the first pictures are shown
  • When the first videos are shown
  • When more details about the game are revealed
  • When the subtitle of the game is revealed
  • When the game is released
  • When they play the game
  • When (if) they finish the game
  • When the next game is released

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
He's on point with his own series. It's the ones he had no part in from the onset you have to look out for, like Metroid.

Shigeru Miyamoto produced Metroid Prime. He is even responsible for the whole first-person only narrative of the game. The sequels were produced by Kensuke Tanabe moreso, but Miyamoto is quite instrumental to the prime series formula. Not the design, but the limitations of the team. Are you a fan?

The last time he "bothered" Aonuma we got Ocarina of Time, and when he didn't have an input we got everything else after it; aka, mixed results using the same groundwork laid by Ocarina of Time. So the more he "bothers" Aonuma the more fresh take on the series we're going to get, I'd (personally) imagine. More Miyamoto work on the series is definitely something I would like to see.

What? Miyamoto was equally "involved" in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. How ever you want to equate that involvement is up to you. But it isn't any more or any less.

Did EAD Tokyo come up with the idea of gravity and spherical worlds, or was it Miyamoto?

Miyamoto had the idea of suggesting spherical worlds. However, the idea of gravity and space and physics are not his to contribute. The original basis of Super Mario Galaxy probably came from the Super Mario 128 Demo at Space World 2000, which was incidentally programmed by Keizo Ota and designed by Yoshiaki Koizumi. Maybe Miyamoto said, hey that looked cool can you guys make a game out of that. The team may have said.. well we are not sure. But bang.. after 2 years of hard development, EAD Tokyo makes something magical.

Miyamoto is a genius?

AniHawk

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Shigeru Miyamoto produced Metroid Prime. He is even responsible for the whole first-person only narrative of the game. The sequels were produced by Kensuke Tanabe moreso, but Miyamoto is quite instrumental to the prime series formula. Not the design, but the limitations of the team. Are you a fan?
Yes, of Metroid. I'm not a fan of Metroid Prime and I think the first-person view was a mistake.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, for it tolls for thee"

TheCardPlayer said:
Hype - 1000, if they are dumbing it down.

This is a big problem I have with game design this gen, they can't make it quick and easy, they have to make it dumb and easy but long and drug-out as fuck, or quick and easy but treats you like an 80 IQ with the frustration tolerance of a toddler.

WillyFive

fernoca said:
Argh..this thread's a mess!! :lol
And to top it all, it was taken from the Galaxy 2 thread, because people were talking about Zelda..so what do we find in the Zelda thread? People talking about Mario galaxy.

At least the ones making the darn game; are not in this thread..well I hope...

No matter the game, people here will be disappointed:
  • When the first pictures are shown
  • When the first videos are shown
  • When more details about the game are revealed
  • When the subtitle of the game is revealed
  • When the game is released
  • When they play the game
  • When (if) they finish the game
  • When the next game is released

Don't forget for it to become the best in the series when the cycle starts for the next game.

Preble

I just wanna have some fun and play a Zelda game. Every one I've played has been pretty good so, I'm not gonna complain. Just remember don't hype the game up to be the "best ever", and I'll be good.

Big One

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
What? Miyamoto was equally "involved" in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. How ever you want to equate that involvement is up to you. But it isn't any more or any less.
Not really. Miyamoto had far less control over the series after Ocarina of Time. It's true that he's the producer of all of these games but Ocarina of Time was basically his baby at the time. Aonuma has had a major impact after Majora's Mask with the exception of the handheld titles. It was Miyamoto's idea to make a radical shift in design with Ocarina of Time and he put a lot of work into it.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Not really. Miyamoto had far less control over the series after Ocarina of Time. It's true that he's the producer of all of these games but Ocarina of Time was basically his baby at the time. Aonuma has had a major impact after Majora's Mask with the exception of the handheld titles. It was Miyamoto's idea to make a radical shift in design with Ocarina of Time and he put a lot of work into it.

If there is any Zelda, Miyamoto was least involved with, it was Majora's Mask. But in your anti-Aonuma sentiment, you don't want to give Aonuma credit for tha one? He was the damn director!! What radical design was Miyamoto responsible for in Ocarina of Time? It is a standard Zelda in 3D with awesome dungeon designs. The dungeons which were designed by Aonuma and Koizumi. Two of the most talented guys at EAD.

Top Bottom