• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Zelda is too Complicated and wants Zelda Wii more Approachable

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dascu said:
Yeah. The series could use some blood and mature violence too if they still want my support. Oh and a dark story where Link fights his inner evil. Moral choices (save the cucco or kill the cucco?) would be great too.
That or become a musical.

hatchx

Banned
Dascu said:
It's starting to bother me a bit. Boss fights feel short, enemy fights get boring. That, and the entire heart piece collection system, the rupees, the heaps of items, having to get a map and a compass, the key system, etc. feels like a bunch of useless filler. I really wish they tried cutting down on all of that and try to simplify the series. Hopefully that's what Miyamoto's comment is about.

I agree 100%. The series needs a refresh and I'm happy Miyamoto and Aunoma have acknowledged it needs one.

selig

Banned
Akai said:
Uhhhh, sounds more like you need a new series to play if you feel they need to cut out material that's been there since the very beginning...

Yeah, because a series is forbidden to make useful changes. It´s better to drive it into the ground be leaving it 100% the same. sigh

Dascu is, for once, absolutely right. All the mentioned items serve not other purpose than tradition at this point.

Deku

Banned
hatchx said:
I agree 100%. The series needs a refresh and I'm happy Miyamoto and Aunoma have acknowledged it needs one.

redoing map/compass collection does feel like filler at this point, though at one point those things felt innovative and 'canon' required elements.

I wouldn't do away with them entirely, perhaps the maps/compass can apply to clusters of dungeons/areas rather than one.

And we'd have fewer , but larger themed dungeons with subdungeons under each main dungeon (and they don't neccessarily have to be connected to the main dungeon, just that Link needs to progress through the sub-dungeons to do the main one) and the subdungeons and be done out of order.

Dascu said:
GHhIe.jpg

How can you hate these guys? Not very viewable, but one of them is carrying a moblin spear instead of his usual sword.
Because they look like roided cats. They're supposed to be badass but they look to damn stupid to take seriously. I prefer the darknuts in TP because they're more intimidating. Sure the overall combat ai in TWW was better because the enemies had the ability to flee and pickup dropped weapons but the overall design for the baddies sucked.

Ganondorf, lava boss, and flying sand boss looked great though.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Dascu said:
I thought they were supposed to represent jackals, you know, like the Egyptian god Anubis.

Not serious enough for Zelda, needs to be a generic character in a regular suit of armour.

I think it'd be nice to have the maps outside of the dungeons. It'd actually reward exploration. Also, bring back the drawing feature from PH, ditch the compasses completely and give the hints for the treasures in some other kind of way i.e. NPC's giving you riddles, inscriptions in the dungeons etc.

Edit:

To elaborate on the map, because I don't remember clearly what features PH had, I'd love to see at least 3 different colours and stamps with shapes/logos. I don't want to draw a treasure or a key, just make it drag'n'drop or something.

Azure J

Glass Soldier said:
I think it'd be nice to have the maps outside of the dungeons. It'd actually reward exploration. Also, bring back the drawing feature from PH, ditch the compasses completely and give the hints for the treasures in some other kind of way i.e. NPC's giving you riddles, inscriptions in the dungeons etc.

OK, this is great.

Lijik

curls said:
Not serious enough for Zelda, needs to be a generic character in a regular suit of armour.
:lol :lol

Also :lol :lol :lol :lol at people complaining that they couldnt take a character design in game based around being a playable action cartoon seriously.

selig

Banned
curls said:

Cut the smart-assing. The Zelda-series is actually one of very rare video game franchises that takes itself serious. Sure, there´s always a portion of humor in every Zelda-game, but it´s seamless humor, not silly goofing around.

There´s nothing wrong about complaining about ridiculous enemy-design. Look at some Links Awakening/Alttp-artworks, that´s the kind of atmosphere the Zelda-series always had to me.

selig said:
Cut the smart-assing. The Zelda-series is actually one of very rare video game franchises that takes itself serious. Sure, there´s always a portion of humor in every Zelda-game, but it´s seamless humor, not silly goofing around.

There´s nothing wrong about complaining about ridiculous enemy-design. Look at some Links Awakening/Alttp-artworks, that´s the kind of atmosphere the Zelda-series always had to me.

There are lots of games that take themselves seriously.

Unfortunately those games are either unwittingly goofy or just have laughably bad writing.

Zelda has always felt like a middle ground IMO.

Fimbulvetr said:
Then what do you wanna talk about?

Actually about the game structure and how to make the game more "approachable" instead of the art-style.

Maybe I'm just too late :lol

And of course my ingenous idea with the maps!

I'll take what you call "generic" over the moe cutesy crap any day.

Anything that involves exploration is a good thing so maps that help you look through cracks and crevices would be great.

The best way to improve the overworld imo is bring back time system from majora's mask and include different a season that affect the landscape. The npcs would also need to move around the overworld more instead of being static in a town.

beelzebozo said:
ha, possible.

i'm just not someone who plays a game and is annoyed when it's not super difficult, any more than when i read something like THE LITTLE PRINCE and get upset that it doesn't use gigantic words.

There's a yawning gulf between a game built for simple pick-up-and-play fun with a learning curve that doubles as a topographical map of Lousiana and one dumbed down that used to be moderately tough and still needs a shot of that moderate toughness to not feel like busy work instead of stuff trying to stop you.

Empty

I'm curious as to how implementing the apparently more approachable motion plus controls will change the flow of the game. I don't think there would be much point adding and touting motion plus controls if you aren't going to put an emphasis on combat, as the effect would basically be wasted otherwise. Yet doing that changes battles as you explore from being very breezy and simple, as they currently are now when you traverse the world, to very involving with each swipe mattering, and unless done right could create a real rift between combat and exploration, things which are fairly well integrated at the moment, as the battles happen so quickly and easily. I'm interested to see how they make it work.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Empty said:
I'm curious as to how implementing the apparently more approachable motion plus controls will change the flow of the game. I don't think there would be much point adding and touting motion plus controls if you aren't going to put an emphasis on combat, as the effect would basically be wasted otherwise. Yet doing that changes battles as you explore from being very breezy and simple, as they currently are now when you traverse the world, to very involving with each swipe mattering, and unless done right could create a real rift between combat and exploration, things which are fairly well integrated at the moment, as the battles happen so quickly and easily. I'm interested to see how they make it work.

MINIGAME FRENZY!!!

carlo6529

So I thought of one thing I hope they do away with in the next Zelda Wii, which I'm sure will get mixed reactions.

I really hope they get rid of the mechanic of playing music to unlock things, whether it be the ocarina, the baton, or the howling of the wolf. It's all the same shit and has been around for too long.

I'm tired of the whole game being based around it. ALTTP had it right, just use it to call your bird and that is it.

Marlowe89

Considering how opinionated and split the entire Zelda fandom is, I seriously doubt there'll ever be a Zelda game to please everyone. I'm usually 100% satisfied with every Zelda installment outside of Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass, and even those games weren't completely bad or anything to me.

I'm very optimistic for this new title regardless of the direction it will take... at least as long as it doesn't incorporate selig-esque ideas.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Empty said:
Meet the boss battles:
28rytjo.jpg

Top Bottom