• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Zelda is too Complicated and wants Zelda Wii more Approachable

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
GeneralIroh said:
I think the design looks like shit. He looks more like a cat than a warrior. His huge head reminds me of power puff girls. TP was just as expressive. He might not be as simplified as TWW link but you can see deeper and more detailed facial expressions.

:lol :lol :lol oh god have you played the game?

GeneralIroh said:
I think the design looks like shit. He looks more like a cat than a warrior. His huge head reminds me of power puff girls. TP was just as expressive. He might not be as simplified as TWW link but you can see deeper and more detailed facial expressions.
by TP did you mean toilet paper

Because I can kind of see how that makes sense

selig

Banned
I actually agree that TP´s design was as expressive as TWW´s. It´s just that...TP´s story and events NEVER had it put to use. Link was much more involved in TWW which allowed for more situations where they could show his facial expressions, while in TP, cutscenes mostly focused on other characters or more general happenings. Just saying, technically, TP wasnt any worse in terms of facial expressions. I was actually honestly impressed back then. It´s easier showing off facial expressions when your game is full of slap-stick like TWW.

Fimbulvetr said:
2ug1dhl.jpg

Say what you will about WW's humans, they're nowhere as bad as uncanny valley incarnate up there.

Really? You take one of the best NPCs from TP to show how bad it was? Malo-haters gonna hate.

Edit: Isn't it funny how Midna has the most expressive face in TP?

why is it funny? If anything it´s prove for saying that TP wasnt any less expressive than TWW.

brandonh83 said:
The enemies looked good as did some of the environments. I just really despise the more "humanistic" character designs.

2ug1dhl.jpg

Say what you will about WW's humans, they're nowhere as bad as uncanny valley incarnate up there.

Edit: Isn't it funny how Midna has the most expressive face in TP?

Vinci

Danish
Glass Soldier said:
God damn this thread. Someone should take one for the team, post some Zelda x Biggoron hentai and get this thread locked.

Do it, Glass. We'll support your decision. Go ahead.

I'll be right over here, to the side. So I can get a fuller glimpse of your glorious martyrdom.

SYNTAX182

GeneralIroh said:

Zuko-Scribble-avtar.png

Vinci said:
Do it, Glass. We'll support your decision. Go ahead.

I'll be right over here, to the side. So I can get a fuller glimpse of your glorious martyrdom.

I wouldn't even know where to look! Personally, I vote for Zelda's HUELEN
selig
. It only makes sense.

Sadist

Malo was a horrible, horrible character. Expressionless to boot.

Edit: I agree on Midna though, that's one of the main reasons why I liked TP. Midna has a lot of the expressions that a lot of the WW characters have. Anger, sorrow, sickness, happiness and of course the evil grin she has.

selig said:
why is it funny? If anything it´s prove for saying that TP wasnt any less expressive than TWW.

It's funny because she is the least realistically detailed of the main characters; save for the runes on her helmet.

In fact, she could almost feel at home in Wind.... Waker.

See what I did there?

TunaLover

Why people shit TP to validate their WW arguments?
Why people shit WW to validate their TP arguments?

Some people don't have enough convincing arguments, besides the "game X is better than Z, because Z is shitty"

TunaLover said:
Why people shit TP to validate their WW arguments?
Why people shit WW to validate their TP arguments?

Some people don't have enough convincing arguments, besides the "game X is better than Z, because Z is shitty"

We weren't arguing about the games as a whole(at least I wasn't) just their art styles.

TunaLover

Fimbulvetr said:
We weren't arguing about the games as a whole(at least I wasn't) just their art styles.

It could be done, by pointing specific art style strenght, it looks more like a Zelda fan wars.

curls said:
What? The design of the enemy characters in WW were brilliant.
Yeah like toucan sam....

TP had better enemy designs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKYyh8zi3aI#t=2m11s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKYyh8zi3aI#t=2m51s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6CEA4_U5a4&feature=related#t=6s
Midna was also a very expressive character.

Seems like none of you guys played TP because this these are proof that Link displayed more expressions than lifeless neutral expressions complaint you guys seem to pull out of your asses.

I do have to admit though that TWW's graphics did age better. I'm tired of TWW character design but I hope they reuse the cel-shading technique.

Sadist said:
Malo was a horrible, horrible character. Expressionless to boot.

Edit: I agree on Midna though, that's one of the main reasons why I liked TP. Midna has a lot of the expressions that a lot of the WW characters have. Anger, sorrow, sickness, happiness and of course the evil grin she has.

Malo's sarcastic whateva personality was transplanted from an internet message board member. He may look funky, but he was a breath of fresh air as far as NPCs in Zelda games go.

Malo + Midna >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the entire WW cast.

Sadist

It was Malo's only attribute and it got old very fast.

Whatever you say, it's a matter of perspective. (These absolutes are redicioulus as well) I personally didn't call TP characters expressionless, because Link definitely shows several emotions in the game. Still, I think when compared to Wind Waker's expressions TP's showing felt a bit bland. I'm not saying bad or anything, but I've seen better. Midna by far was the best character in the game and that's because her design was totally different from other TP characters.

Edit: Oh fuck the layout man

Big One

Banned
I think what I hated about some of TP's designs, especially the designs of common people in it, is that they all look like they have Down's Syndrome.

selig

Banned
Looking at all these great TP-designs makes me remember what I really hated about the game:

NOT EXPLAINING SHIT! And no, that´s not part of "leaving some myth to something". For example, the revel group was really great. Especially Shad´s design is fantastic, he looks cooler than Link himself and I´d love to play a game with him as the hero. But each rebel group-member only served as an event-trigger instead of being an actually active rebel group.

And then the second biggest "hole" that drives me crazy: That mid-boss from the desert prison-dungeon. That invisible demon with his 3 meter-sword. What a GREAT design. But he appears randomly inside that dungeon, you fight and defeat him, and that´s it. Please, give me some info about that guy, some bits of story or so. Not necessarily pushed into the player´s face a la "this is the demon soul of an evil criminal etc etc", but...somewhere. Let players that are interested in the game find out more about what they encounter.

What? How are there Malo haters? He was the greatest NPC in the game. He was sarcastic, firm, and still had room to create the greatest store chain in the Zelda universe.

In all, I actually liked Wind Waker's character design more, but I like Twilight Princess's characters more...

selig said:
And then the second biggest "hole" that drives me crazy: That mid-boss from the desert prison-dungeon. That invisible demon with his 3 meter-sword. What a GREAT design. But he appears randomly inside that dungeon, you fight and defeat him, and that´s it. Please, give me some info about that guy, some bits of story or so. Not necessarily pushed into the player´s face a la "this is the demon soul of an evil criminal etc etc", but...somewhere. Let players that are interested in the game find out more about what they encounter.
To be honest, I preferr it this way. It leaves more surprises in the game. For instance, the final boss of Zelda II
Dark Link
. That was a huge surprise that made me go "Woah!" and I was happy.

All bosses you fight should have some kinda legend or story behind them either before you enter a dungeon or after you defeat them. I liked how they built up that flying dragon boss in OOT before u faced it.
As for the character's facial animation, I prefer the way its done in TP. It felt like there was more work done to the character's faces. In TWW they animated the characters by changing the sprite or textures.

selig

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
To be honest, I preferr it this way. It leaves more surprises in the game. For instance, the final boss of Zelda II
Dark Link
. That was a huge surprise that made me go "Woah!" and I was happy.

There´s a difference between a surprise and...simply leaving something out there, not explaining it at all.

Fully agreed @GeneralIroh

selig said:
There´s a difference between a surprise and...simply leaving something out there, not explaining it at all.
I guess you're right. However, I feel like some things don't have to be explained. I feel that this is a difference between many Western games and many Japanese games... in that the Western games go out of their way to explain weird phenomena (like in Portal... Your character has these weird things on her legs to explain how she can fall a larger than normal distance and not get hurt. I found that weird) and Japanese games don't do this as much.

I feel that enemies don't need explanation, unless they're important, like Zant. I don't think enemies (including bosses, minibosses, or standard enemies) need explanations all the time, especially when you can assume their background somewhat (like King Dodongo). I think it allows for more farfetched and unique creations, like Bongo Bongo. However, that doesn't mean that having a story behind enemies is bad. Twinrova's and Volvagia's stories were pretty great to me.

(It turns out I only mentioned Ocarina of Time bosses. Sorry about that.)

Myriadis

Christopher said:
I had three main gripes about Twilight Princess:

Lack of interesting plot...I mean we're progressing in Zelda give us something to strive for.

The realistic look seemed to ZAP characters personalities away...I honestly can't remember anyoen from that game..however I can still remember characters from Majora's Mask, OoT, heck even Wind Waker (even though I didn't like that either).

The music wasn't memorable at all...part of the problem is because the man who did almost all Zeldas up until this time didn't do it.

I just felt it was lifeless...it seems the realistic look just really sucked the life out of it.

I HOPE I get a great experience with the next Zelda game that I always enjoyed.

It really seems to depend on the person.I can really remember every character from this game,even these random NPCs who are just walking around in Hyrule Town(I tried closeups with the Warp glitch,my favorite NPC there is the chinese girl).I even played 80 more rupees to have Sheena with me on the boat for fishing and I loved to make her angry,happy or whatever in any way (and I must say that it looked excellent-no wonder,as I said before,it uses the Wind Waker Graphics Engine,and you can still clearly see the influence from Wind Waker).And the Zoras-I just love them.Like the one Zora who just unfreezed,shivering and asking what just happened.I really could feel that she was still fragile.
WW also did an amazing job.The blue-haired girl from Outset Island who gets frightened when you shoot her pot away.Or Zelda/Tetras expressions.
I even can say that the expressions and character designs in WW and TP made a huge step forward from Oot/MM.They are still not the greatest,but they are good.

The music...I just love it.It's just my most favorite soundtrack in the whole series.The night theme of Hyrule field is so increbily beautiful,and together with the beautiful art design it is the most intense and atmospheric thing I've ever seen and heard in any Zelda game.

The thing with the realistic look-I recently played Ocarina of Time,and it felt so lifeless for me.Oot had a bigger realisitic style than TP,and Link only seems to have two or three expressions maximum-and most NPCs have only one.It is a great game,but nowadays it felt so lifeless for me.

However,I just friggin' love TP and WW.Both.

Haunted

GeneralIroh said:
Thats all i could find.
Good man, ignore the low res peons. :p

Truly some great designs in there! Clearly, the weakest are the regular human NPCs (at least to me), but the monster/enemy/boss and other NPC designs are absolutely top notch.

Of course, Wind Waker had absolutely gorgeous design as well. Comparing the concept art, I feel that both of the recent titles are a vast improvement over the N64 games.

edit: also, Selig is crazy.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my praise of WW has nothing to do with bashing TP. i do prefer WW's art and graphical style more, but there were plenty of times during TP that i was wigging out with how glorious it looked.

I really like the clothes for the people of Ordon. Sure people are ugly, but thats variety for u. I like how that village has a sense of culture.

carlo6529

To be honest, I am starting to get a little excited for the Zelda Wii reveal. It's only a few weeks away now.

I wonder what aspect of Zelda they changed the most?

I'm one of those guys who really liked the whole style and feel of Wind Waker but didn't "get" the design of link himself. There were many awesome characters but Link really looked like a cat sometimes. That comparision is spot on, I think. :lol

GeneralIroh said:

This is very true. The whole concept of Twilight Princess was in subtleties. When it came to physics, graphics, colour palette, weather effects, everything was very realistic, in the sense that they were subtle. And this is also true for Links facial expressions. There is that cut scene when Link goes into a higher level of consciousness, a trance, and he looks like he is experiencing the God Head. He has the facial expression of the jokester archetype.

The facial expressions of Links in Twilight Princess may also appear less effective because of the combination of colour palette and inherently more detailed environments. This made the screen slightly mushy and muddy first appearance, making small details like facial expressions esoteric. But this was the whole intent. The developers have said they made the game around the GC controls and they wanted an emphasis on the landscaping scenic views. You can see this intent with the "Zoom Out/Panoramic" view option with the GC version.

CassSept

selig said:
NOT EXPLAINING SHIT! And no, that´s not part of "leaving some myth to something".
While I prefer some things to be left unexplained one of my biggest gripes with TP was that there was no explaining behind how Link obtained triforce/suit. The "Lol u r hero of legend so you has them" was plain dumb, considering that in the previous installments it was dealt with in some way. This time they took the lazy path.
Overall Triforce felt pretty inexistent. It is a revered symbol, sent by the Gods but we don't have almost anything about it in the plot itself.

PS. Nah, selig isn't crazy - he is insane.
But "it feels so good to read him":D

robor

CassSept said:
Nah, selig isn't crazy - he is insane.
But "it feels so good to read him":D

Now that's just creepy. Regarding this thread's topic, I think selig is right on the money here.

farnham

Banned
If you look at the sheer design of WW and TP I believe WW winds hands down. The world doesnt feel like a sum of connected areas but like a real ocean. The character design is more cute and whimsical then TP (which suits my taste more) and Link with all his items blend into the surroundings much better then he does in TP (in WW Link looks like a small kid playing with his toys in town while Link in TP feels kinda weird with all his gadgetery when he enters towns. not to mention that he cant use any of his items in castle town).

But the overall gameplay is just much better in TP. The Battle system in WW is too automatic compared to TP and it does not have as much combat options as in TP. The Dungeon design of WW is lacking (not to mention the amount of dungeons you have in WW) compared to the Dungeons in TP (Twilight Dungeon for example). The Overworld (while being a bunch of connected area) is much more fun then the overworld in WW (Boring Boring Sea travel). The only thing that WW does much better is the sidequest stuff. But seriously you can beat WW in about 6 hours so without the sidequest stuff the game would feel way to mondaine..

SO yeah while WW is definately more charming Id say TP is the overall better game.

farnham

Banned
xs_mini_neo said:
Malo + Midna >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the entire WW cast.
I wouldnt go that far

While Midna is probably my favorite Sidekick (The King of the Red Lions is close second, Ezlo and Navi distant third) and Malo is just awesome

WW had a splendid cast of very charming characters

may i remind you

personaggi_aril.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
WW's island and sailing structure nailed the atmosphere so well that with more places to explore and more rewards to obtain, it would be my perfect game.

farnham

Banned
BorkBork said:
WW's island and sailing structure nailed the atmosphere so well that with more places to explore and more rewards to obtain, it would be my perfect game.
If..

The reality is that there were islands that had one single chest and thats it

Christopher said:
The music wasn't memorable at all...part of the problem is because the man who did almost all Zeldas up until this time didn't do it..
The Music of Twilight Princess is designed to play a supporting role to gameplay While in Wind Waker its a very important gameplay element.

In Wind Waker Link is a conductor while in Twilight Princess he doesnt have any musical instruments outside of some grass he uses to get epona or a hawk.

Also Wind Wakers overall atmosphere is very cheery and bright while Twilight Princess is dark and gloomy. So the music of Twilight Princess is very ambiant and maybe thats the reason why its not memorable .

ILikeFeet

Banned
I want them to bring Malon back. she was always my favorite female character in Zelda. I guess a love interest with Link is too much out of the question? :lol

farnham

Banned
ILikeFeet said:
I want them to bring Malon back. she was always my favorite female character in Zelda. I guess a love interest with Link is too much out of the question? :lol
You mean Marin

marin.jpg

I know it's a bit unusual for the Zelda games, but they should start adding difficulty settings.

Can't ask them not to mainstream it. Just add in a HARD mode for the rest of us.

Top Bottom