• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Zelda is too Complicated and wants Zelda Wii more Approachable

Myriadis

selig said:
Yeah, because getting another OoT-retread would be so much better than all of the ideas many gaffers posted in this thread. Stay classy, smh

Nope,that's not what I meant.I want something interesting and new,not A Link To The Past Part 4.Especially killing some new and interesting gameplay elements from the newer (console) zeldas.There were some great suggestions,but many crappy,too.

selig

Banned
Okay, you guys are totally overreacting...like...TOTALLY.

Here, this is what I want to play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYZLT_LIQoQ

Things that would change compared to existing Prime-games: Less powerful characters with different abilities than Samus´. Squad-based combat, not fighting alone, as you are no one-man-army. Online-and offline-coop as well as typical multiplayer-modes. THE REST STAYS.

If you dont like that, good for you. But neither am I advocating the destruction of the Metroid-franchise nor would it be a bad game. And: The design of FST >>>> Samus´ design

Retro

Glass Soldier said:
Yeah, it's also something Nintendo wouldn't do for a franchise like Zelda. They'd rather have local multiplayer and design the game that way.
Right, I was just throwing out another option. I agree though, If there was any kind of multiplayer being added to the game, I'd prefer it be local.

Maybe Link gets a little Sonic-esque furry companion who rides on his shoulder, shooting enemies with a slingshot... all controlled by a second player.

And god yes, I'm joking. I even felt dirty typing that. :lol

Glass Soldier said:
I'm not sure if I understand but the only benefit of your system would be that you could play the game over the internet, you'd still need a GBA and a Link Cable

Right, but most of us already had a GBA and a Link Cable; the hard part was getting multiple people together to get all of their crap together and play in the same room. I played Four Swords a total of two times, and never with more than two other players. If they'd added some kind of "Virtual Link Cable", well... there you go. Find people to play with.

Was just a thought I had at the time, nothing more.

Retro said:
Right, but most of us already had a GBA and a Link Cable; the hard part was getting multiple people together to get all of their crap together and play in the same room. I played Four Swords a total of two times, and never with more than two other players. If they'd added some kind of "Virtual Link Cable", well... there you go. Find people to play with.

Was just a thought I had at the time, nothing more.

Ah, ok then. Well, we all know, there's only one real way to play Four Swords Adventures:

2366871669_c74d8da6a4.jpg

sarusama

selig said:
You´re naming exactly the two things in TP that DID need more fleshing out.

the only thing that MM didnt tell you was who Majora really was, everything else was properly explained.

I hurt every time I read these kinds of statements. Whatever happened to indulging some fantasy/mystery? You know I much preferred when zombies where just zombies and not some totally ridiculous pseudo-scientific experiment gone wrong involving viruses. If that is properly explaining a zombie, then I'd rather it not be explained.

I really like these two events. Why? Because they were produced well (not simply completely random) and they hinted that things are not necessarily as you assume. The fact that there are many people who believe that the skeleton warrior was a past link is not random coincidence. The presentation likely suggests it. Personally, I like to add the twist that he is your future self. Sure, there's nothing there really to support that, but there isn't anything that would necessarily refute it either. It will be interesting to see if in the next game I can find something that would support this particular twist (be it just a random skeleton with a sword in front of a hidden dungeon).

In a similar fashion, I feel that all the zelda games are the same story retold. I've seen the fan-based zelda-retrospect explaination that ties everything together (BTW is there an update to that that includes TP and PH?). Still I think it would be easy to entertain that a Link to the Past is Twilight Princess, just told in a different way. It is a legend after all.

[Nintex]

selig said:
Okay, you guys are totally overreacting...like...TOTALLY.

Here, this is what I want to play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYZLT_LIQoQ

Things that would change compared to existing Prime-games: Less powerful characters with different abilities than Samus´. Squad-based combat, not fighting alone, as you are no one-man-army. Online-and offline-coop as well as typical multiplayer-modes. THE REST STAYS.
You want to play a failed marketing campaign? WAT

Retro

Glass Soldier said:
Ah, ok then. Well, we all know, there's only one real way to play Four Swords Adventures:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2300/2366871669_c74d8da6a4.jpg

Of course, that goes without saying. :lol
sarusama said:
I hurt every time I read these kinds of statements.

I agree. As with movies and books, sometimes it's what isn't said that makes the difference. Because games, as a medium, don't have the time and space limitations that films or movies do, I guess writers and designers feel like "Well, we could do it, so we should it!" I'd much rather not have some hair-brained explanation as to why stuff keeps happening. It's Magic! Moving on!.

Also, chalk up another person who, without internet help, came to the Skeleton = Former Link conclusion.

sarusama

Retro said:
Also, chalk up another person who, without internet help, came to the Skeleton = Former Link conclusion.

I definitely came to imagine a connection with a Link character without the internet. I don't recall exactly how, but feel that it was heavily implied. The post further above was the first time I heard of an actual fan-theory to that extent. I'll follow up on the experiment and ask a few friends.

Retro said:
I agree. As with movies and books, sometimes it's what isn't said that makes the difference. Because games, as a medium, don't have the time and space limitations that films or movies do, I guess writers and designers feel like "Well, we could do it, so we should it!" I'd much rather not have some hair-brained explanation as to why stuff keeps happening. It's Magic! Moving on!.

Yup, I remember what happened when George Lucas tried to explain The Force. ugh.

Retro

sarusama said:
I definitely came to imagine a connection with a Link character without the internet. I don't recall exactly how, but feel that it was heavily implied. The post further above was the first time I heard of an actual fan-theory to that extent. I'll follow up on the experiment and ask a few friends.

I was distracted, by one thing or another, so last week is really the first time I've gotten anywhere in Twilight Princess. Up until this thread, I hadn't heard the theory either, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who kind of came to that same conclusion.

What did it for me was the wolf; in Twilight Princess' world, the Heroic 'animal spirit' is a wolf, since that's what Link turned into and the Skeleton begins as.

Glass Soldier said:
Yup, I remember what happened when George Lucas tried to explain The Force. ugh.

You know, I was looking for a good example of "Why things shouldn't always be explained", and I kept digging and digging and I knew there was a GREAT example, a PERFECT example, but I just couldn't remember what it was. Now I know why; I was intentionally suppressing it.

Thanks a lot for reminding me. Boo. :lol

selig

Banned
sarusama said:
I hurt every time I read these kinds of statements. Whatever happened to indulging some fantasy/mystery? You know I much preferred when zombies where just zombies and not some totally ridiculous pseudo-scientific experiment gone wrong involving viruses. If that is properly explaining a zombie, then I'd rather it not be explained

Complete opposite for me. I hate the fantasy-Zombies, but love the "something went wrong"-Zombies. Im not a fan of "Believe".

I really like these two events. Why? Because they were produced well (not simply completely random) and they hinted that things are not necessarily as you assume. The fact that there are many people who believe that the skeleton warrior was a past link is not random coincidence. The presentation likely suggests it. Personally, I like to add the twist that he is your future self. Sure, there's nothing there really to support that, but there isn't anything that would necessarily refute it either. It will be interesting to see if in the next game I can find something that would support this particular twist (be it just a random skeleton with a sword in front of a hidden dungeon).

Hinting is one thing, putting in something that feels completely out of place another. Interpreting the skeleton warrior as a past or future Link is pure speculation, totally baseless. And that´s what´s annoying. And then the 3 shadow-Links cutscene. ONE such cutscene in the game, and that´s it. That´s not hinting, that´s failed game design, and I´d bet on it being one of the things that Miyamoto had to save from the mess Aonuma created but couldnt be saved properly.

In a similar fashion, I feel that all the zelda games are the same story retold. I've seen the fan-based zelda-retrospect explaination that ties everything together (BTW is there an update to that that includes TP and PH?). Still I think it would be easy to entertain that a Link to the Past is Twilight Princess, just told in a different way. It is a legend after all.

Trying to tie Alttp and TP is pure fanfic. However, all OoT-and-after-Zeldas (on home consoles) are part of a continuous timeline that´s pretty obvious.

[Nintex] said:
You want to play a failed marketing campaign? WAT

You DO realize that you´re neither funny nor smart sounding?

Sciz

selig said:

If you dont like that, good for you. But neither am I advocating the destruction of the Metroid-franchise nor would it be a bad game. And: The design of FST >>>> Samus´ design
The market for this sort of game has long since been established on other systems. Nintendo will never bother trying to go for it, and certainly not with a spinoff IP.

This is a wild and crazy generation where all kinds of strange things have happened.

But not that strange.

Dascu

selig said:
Trying to tie Alttp and TP is pure fanfic. However, all OoT-and-after-Zeldas (on home consoles) are part of a continuous timeline that´s pretty obvious.
Alright people, let's lock this thread right here and now before we enter an even deeper circle of Hell.

Retro said:
You know, I was looking for a good example of "Why things shouldn't always be explained", and I kept digging and digging and I knew there was a GREAT example, a PERFECT example, but I just couldn't remember what it was. Now I know why; I was intentionally suppressing it.

Thanks a lot for reminding me. Boo. :lol

Sorry, I thought that was etched into everyone's mind for all eternity :lol

Mudkips

Banned
Miyamoto is the abusive spouse of every Nintendo fan.

He's great when he's sober, but he hurts you so bad when he's drunk.
And you'll never leave him.

hatchx

Banned
Retro said:
Apart from network/online play, of course.

I'm shocked that the Gamecube's modem didn't ship with a way for GBA games to be played online as well... some way to basically trick the game into thinking the person connected online is actually connected via link cables. Four Swords, Advance Wars, Pokemon... Such a missed opportunity, in my opinion. I mean, we ALL had Link Cables and a GBA, in theory, but how many of us really had 3 friends with all that crap that we could wrangle together?

I'm shocked too, especially after the break-through success of the GCN Phantasy Star Online port.

So would anyone want a new graphical style? Something we've never seen before in a Zelda game? Maybe like water-color graphics or a mix of it with something else?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
selig, if its any consolation, I don't think your Metroid spin-off idea completely sucks. I would keep the Metroid title, however.

Glass Soldier said:
notsureifserious.gif

The awful explanation of The Force in SW: Episode I
The what now? Next, you'll try get me to believe that rumor about them making a 4th Indiana Jones movie.

hatchx said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if their E3 wii showing mainly consisted of:

Zelda wii
SMG2
Wii Party
Wii Relax (Vitality Sensor)
Sin and Punishment 2
Metroid: Other M

+3rd party reel of NBA Jam, Epic Mickey, Conduit 2, The Grinder

....still a good line-up, but definitely lacking in any surprised.
So what you're saying is if it lacks surprise, you wouldn't be surprised.

Retro

hatchx said:
I'm shocked too, especially after the break-through success of the GCN Phantasy Star Online port.

I must admit, my brief flirtation with PSO on a friend's dreamcast convinced me to purchase the Gamecube modem... The dial-up one.

To be fair though, PSO when actually played online is a pretty glorious experience, and the sheer awesomeness of Challenge mode still lingers to this very day.

selig

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
So would anyone want a new graphical style? Something we've never seen before in a Zelda game? Maybe like water-color graphics or a mix of it with something else?

As long as the artstyle isnt as horrible as TWW´s im fine with everything.

Retro

Jason's Ultimatum said:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, jumping to a different setting might lead to some interesting visual results. I've always been a huge fan of Caspar David Friedrich, a German painter from the late 1700s; lots of majestic ruins and ominous mountains and rolling hills. Here's a few examples that wouldn't look out of place in Zelda;

30x7drl.jpg

35hgxue.jpg

Hyrule Field with Hyrule Castle in the distance? :lol
dpclg7.jpg

This one is titled "Wanderer above the Mist"... Already dressed in green too :D.
28ow2d.jpg

Spooky Forest, check.
5502ec.jpg

Titled "The Hero's Grave", looks like a familiar graveyard.
15xpauo.jpg

2w3x11z.jpg

wat3bk.jpg

Heh, I had forgotten this specific drawing, but seeing it now seems kind of relevant.
2lw6p6w.jpg

Ruins.
bf0zu0.jpg

More Ruins.

So yeah, I'd love to see a more Renaissance-style setting; more elaborate garb, more 'romantic' sword fights, etc. Just throwing it out there, any chance to share Friedrich with people is reason enough for me.

selig said:
As long as the artstyle isnt as horrible as TWW´s im fine with everything.
m9m2j8.jpg

You astound me.

Dascu

selig said:
Oh please.
TP´s artstyle is vastly superior to TWW´s. I prefer toon-shading, though. Non-kiddy artstyle + toon-shading = perfect visual style
This and your earlier comments on the Metroid series are very telling about the kind of gamer you are. One of those.

wrowa

Retro said:
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, jumping to a different setting might lead to some interesting visual results. I've always been a huge fan of Caspar David Friedrich, a German painter from the late 1700s; lots of majestic ruins and ominous mountains and rolling hills. Here's a few examples that wouldn't look out of place in Zelda;
Those pictures are looking really great, actually. Though, I can't imagine that Nintendo will ever go in such an artistic direction. It seems a bit too particular and extraordinary for the Zelda series and doesn't fit too well with Nintendo's family philosophy. It seems more fitting to the works of, say, Ueada to me.

selig said:
Oh please.
TP´s artstyle is vastly superior to TWW´s. I prefer toon-shading, though. Non-kiddy artstyle + toon-shading = perfect visual style
How often do you actually believe what you are saying?

It can't be too often.

Retro

wrowa said:
Those pictures are looking really great, actually. Though, I can't imagine that Nintendo will ever go in such an artistic direction. It seems a bit too particular and extraordinary for the Zelda series and doesn't fit too well with Nintendo's family philosophy. It seems more fitting to the works of, say, Ueada to me.

Of course, but we're just kind of hypothetically throwing visual styles out there and that happens to be a look that I really like. It lends itself to some interesting thoughts; maybe Link starts with a rapier and the sword fights are a little more nimble before he gets the master sword. There might be enemies with crude firearms (since there are already bombs and cannons), etc.

I'm not saying "ZELDA MUST BE THIS", just "Hey, it might be an interesting trip if Zelda got a little Musketeer-y once." As I recall, the title screen to the original Zelda actually showed a rapier.

Edit: Yep.
2ezl7rm.jpg

selig said:
Oh please.

n4gp36.jpg

You actually think something like this a good idea, don't you?

TunaLover

wrowa said:

I don't think that's true, I believe that Nintendo doesn't attach to a particular artstyle, and try find always its own iconography, but not for family friendly restrictions (you can find pretty intrussive complex iconography in games as MM, TP and WW, godess, mithos and such) they are very iconoclast when it comes to the game artstyle. And thank good for that, we could be playing an anime Zelda, or a wannabe artsy Zelda otherwise.

Retro

TunaLover said:
Ok, we found our Zelda's HUELEN
You know, I had that exact same thought while reading his comments about TWW's visual style being horrible. Let us hope the end results are similar, and perhaps swifter. I doubt anyone will wax nostalgic for this thread's Huelen like they are in the Sonic 4 thread, though.

TunaLover said:
I don't think that's true, I believe that Nintendo doesn't attach to a particular artstyle, and try find always its own iconography, but not for family friendly restrictions (you can find pretty intrussive complex iconography in games as MM, TP and WW, godess, mithos and such) they are very iconoclast when it comes to the game artstyle.
I subscribe to the school of thought that each Zelda game is, more or less, a re-telling of the same legend in different ways. Jumping from art style to art style kind of plays into that, with each retelling having a new look that reflects the mood of the story.

TunaLover said:
And thank good for that, we could be playing an anime Zelda, or a wannabe artsy Zelda otherwise.

I could see an anime-style Zelda, and I do. not. want. Artsy Zelda makes me think of Okami, which wasn't terrible... but I can't really see it.

I'd prefer a stylized visual style over a realistic one. A game like Oblivion, with visuals intended to be realistic, often ends up falling short or into the uncanny valley (for example, every character you create always ends up hideous). Despite claims to the contrary, consoles aren't at a point just yet where reality can be duplicated to a satisfactory level.

Something like World of Warcraft, where the visuals are much more stylized, ends up looking better in the long run because there aren't any ugly attempts at realism popping up in little places. Twilight Princess is just about as realistic as I'd ever go, and I'd actually prefer a step back from that.

selig said:
no, i actually think this is a good idea:
That's not exactly a terrible look, but I can't see it being used for an entire game. For example, what would it look like in motion?

Also, Link has blue eyes in that image, and everyone knows Link's eyes are supposed to be black, not green :lol

Azure J

beelzebozo said:
WIND WAKER is probably the best looking game i've ever seen or played.

Agreed as always. Windwaker has this amazing style that has probably been praised to death already, but it always manages to remind me of Disney's big movie animations. As a kid who loved his cartoons when he was younger, that was like a dream come true. I though that WW was going to be a symbol for greater things to come. Sometimes I wish if more people making adventure games could look over its "faults" and let more people be comfortable going full steam with cel-shading and a comic (as in fun or lighthearted) art style to really try and push the visual boundaries around.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
selig said:
Oh please.

No taste confirmed.

One thing that shocked me about TP was where had all of the silky smooth and rich animations from TWW gone.

curls said:
One thing that shocked me about TP was where had all of the silky smooth and rich animations from TWW gone.

One thing that shocked me about TP was the fact that every minor charakter looked like shit.

Dascu

curls said:
No taste confirmed.

Yeah. The amount of detail into the animations of the characters and the enemies in Wind Waker was staggering.

Dascu

Cygnus X-1 said:
This suspence is killing me. I just hope that the rupies-broken system of TP has been changed.
Get rid of rupees and bring back the spoils system. Oh, and maybe some Resident Evil 4-ish item combination to up the value like other gaffers have thought of.

Top Bottom