• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Zelda is too Complicated and wants Zelda Wii more Approachable

jay

Shikamaru Ninja said:
If there is any Zelda, Miyamoto was least involved with, it was Majora's Mask. But in your anti-Aonuma sentiment, you don't want to give Aonuma credit for tha one? He was the damn director!! What radical design was Miyamoto responsible for in Ocarina of Time? It is a standard Zelda in 3D with awesome dungeon designs. The dungeons which were designed by Aonuma and Koizumi. Two of the most talented guys at EAD.

Miyamoto came up with the repeating time mechanic for MM so similarly to Galaxy even if he did nothing else the whole construct would collapse without his great idea. Though you don't want to give him credit for pushing spheres it seems. These ideas alone don't make great games and certainly the other developers there are extremely talented, but your bias is a bit silly.

And it's hilarious to call OoT standard Zelda in 3D.

Y'know what would be great? If the next Zelda game used the same kind of camera Mario Galaxy did. That alone would simplify the game and, possibly, make it less frustrating for people who aren't as experienced with video games.

Another thing I'd like to see them do away with is the "Would you like to progress with the game? -Yes -No" questions.

ntropy

jay said:
Miyamoto came up with the repeating time mechanic for MM so similarly to Galaxy even if he did nothing else the whole construct would collapse without his great idea. Though you don't want to give him credit for pushing spheres it seems. These ideas alone don't make great games and certainly the other developers there are extremely talented, but your bias is a bit silly.

HEY! implementation > inspiration

You know what Zelda Wii really needs?
Items that are useful for more than a few puzzles.
So annoying to have something that's fun to use, but you barely even need it.

jay said:

I was unaware of this...I swear, the man is a damn genius when it comes to gaming ideas and concepts.

Eteric Rice

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I think modern day Nintendo has a hard time differentiating between complex and convoluted. Something can have depth and still be accessible, and conversely something can be shallow and unintuitive.

Yup, Tetris is a good example. Easy to play, but it gets hard fast. Mario as well.

It's the game itself levels themselves that gives the player the challenge, not trying to manuver complicated controls.

ampere

fernoca said:
Argh..this thread's a mess!! :lol
And to top it all, it was taken from the Galaxy 2 thread, because people were talking about Zelda..so what do we find in the Zelda thread? People talking about Mario galaxy.

At least the ones making the darn game; are not in this thread..well I hope...

No matter the game, people here will be disappointed:
  • When the first pictures are shown
  • When the first videos are shown
  • When more details about the game are revealed
  • When the subtitle of the game is revealed
  • When the game is released
  • When they play the game
  • When (if) they finish the game
  • When the next game is released
:lol How true.

TheChaos

Somebody in the other thread said it might be completely linear a la FF13. Makes me wonder what that would be like, the games are pretty linear as is, you still have to do all the dungeons in order, etc.

voltron said:
And another one bites the dust.

Casualization is approaching like an angry storm on the horizon.

Yes, another one.
After making their Mario games harder and their Metroid games more focused on dificculty and story they are going to casualize Zelda in the same fashion.
By making it better.

Honestly, if a simpler Zelda means less darn turtorial, I am all for it. Replaying those 3D Zeldas are a pain because it takes so long for them to get to the good stuff. Remember Zelda 1? Good times.

jay

abstract alien said:
I was unaware of this...I swear, the man is a damn genius when it comes to gaming ideas and concepts.

""The 'Three-Day System,' the idea of a compact world to be played over and over again, came down from Miyamoto-san and one other director, [Yoshiaki] Koizumi-san," Aonuma recalled."

Actually it could have been Koizumi. Anyone have other sources?

entremet

Zelda definitely needs some new ideas. Its basically used the same template since LTTP with the console installments--Majora's Mask notwithstanding.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Another Zelda thread, another GAF overreaction.

pirata said:
This. I just wish he would leave Aonuma alone.

Aonuma is the reason Zelda is in the shithole right now.

As an example, the trains in Spirit Tracks are Aonuma's son's fault.

Regulus Tera said:

Yeah, so Aonuma's son turned Spirit Tracks into a good game instead of the objectively shitty shit-shit that is Phantom Hourglass.

Regulus Tera said:

I just wish we knew who this secret director of Zelda Wii is.
It's weird that they haven't named him yet.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah, so Aonuma's son turned Spirit Tracks into a good game instead of the objectively shitty shit-shit that is Phantom Hourglass.

No, Aonuma's son turned a mediocre game into a horrible boring piece of crap.

Oh fuck I got into hyperbole myself. Zelda threads are fucking contagious.

Regulus Tera said:
No, Aonuma's son turned a mediocre game into a horrible boring piece of crap.

Oh fuck I got into hyperbole myself. Zelda threads are fucking contagious.

Hyperbole? It's being totally honest and without exaggeration to say that Phantom Hourglass was a horrible, terrible game.

While Spirit Tracks was actually fun and interesting.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
EmCeeGramr said:
Hyperbole? It's being totally honest and without exaggeration to say that Phantom Hourglass was a horrible, terrible game.

While Spirit Tracks was actually fun and interesting.

¿uʍop ǝpısdn sʞool plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʍoɥ sıɥʇ sI

jibblypop

Banned
I can't wait for this new Zelda. That series needs some fresh ideas badly even though the games are usually solid. I would rather be surprised with something new.

TSA said:
So wait...

Waggling a Wii remote to swing your sword, or tapping the screen with your stylus has become too complicated?

Oh man, this is gonna be great.

...that's what I would have said if I was n00b. That interview is 2 months old. It regurgitates most of the info we've already known. Plus, Miyamoto has been saying he wants Zelda to be more accessible for years now.

Listen to me, Smalls. Wait for E3.

I think, by controls, he's more referring to item management.
A more streamlined way to access your items and use them would be a great help to both new comers and die hards.
It would speed up the gameplay and battles.

I don't think any Zelda game, excepting the CD-i ones, are actually bad.

Some have some poor design decisions in otherwise good games, some aren't as fresh as I'd prefer and rely on old tricks from Ocarina, some aren't finished. I enjoyed every one I played to varying degrees. Guess I'm just weird like that.

movie_club

I have (i know i know) never gotten very far in a Zelda game
i beat minish cap though
and was wondering which i should play first? I own WW, MM and spirit tracks- i might have oot somewhere.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
movie_club said:
i beat minish cap though
and was wondering which i should play first? I own WW, MM and spirit tracks- i might have oot somewhere.
Sadly you have the worst Zelda games. Look for the GBC ones or the GBA remake. OOT is the best of the 3D ones (also, it's the best game ever made).

carlo6529

movie_club said:
i beat minish cap though

Play WW first; nice, easy and charming for your first console Zelda. ST is good but didn't get me hooked. MM is a little confusing at first but unique. I appreciated it more on my 2nd playthrough.

On another note, there is going to be so much bitching come E3. I am really curious as to what they are keeping from the old formula. I want change for the franchise, but I still do want it to feel like Zelda, otherwise, just give me a new game.

Jezan

Diffense said:
One think I missed every since OoT is teh way the jump slash worked.
You had to choose the right moment to execute it and backflip or sidestep out of the way.
In tWW, IIRC, they replaced it with the "Spiky A" context attack which automatically dodged for you.

I thought that in many of OoT's battles you actually felt more in control and winning by your own skill because of the slightly more manual controls.
So I hope that, if anything, the greater naturalness of Wiimote + MP will allow them to return more control to the player.

For a moment I thought you were talking about the flips Link did in MM. I love those jumps!!!

movie_club said:
i beat minish cap though
manueldelalas said:
Sadly you have the worst Zelda games. Look for the GBC ones or the GBA remake. OOT is the best of the 3D ones (also, it's the best game ever made).
Really? I disagree that he has the worst (though you yourself go on to say OoT is good... I'm confused), but I'll agree that the GBC games are worth seeking out.

Play them in the order they were released. OoT, MM, and then WW.

Skip the DS game. It hurts how much I hate it and PH; I try so hard to like them. :(

Teknoman

Phantom Hourglass just stinks because of the boss design and that damn temple. Spirit Tracks was a step back in the right direction (great soundtrack and decent huge bosses)...though Minish Cap was 100% great portable Zelda...so maybe let Capcom have a crack at it again.

I don't really think approachable means dumbed down or easy. The first Zelda had a good level of challenge, and was very approachable. No confinement to some stupid village at the beginning of the game, no endless dialogue and tutorials...it only needed like 5 minutes to get the player hooked on the sense of adventure and exploration. Modern Zelda games...not so much.

Yoboman

Sorry guys, this bloated franchise does need trimming down big time

928519_112206_screen010.jpg

Like seriously what the fuck is that? Everything in this image is wrong. The HUD, the weapons. Zelda is over complicated. Fucking carrot sticks when riding a horse and shit, come on.

Give me a sword, shield and a bow and send me on my adventure. Don't think that's enough for a compelling game? Try Shadow of the Colossus.

robor

Yoboman said:

928519_112206_screen010.jpg

Like seriously what the fuck is that? Everything in this image is wrong. The HUD, the weapons. Zelda is over complicated. Fucking carrot sticks when riding a horse and shit, come on.

Give me a sword, shield and a bow and send me on my adventure. Don't think that's enough for a compelling game? Try Shadow of the Colossus.

Yea but we don't want a game that reduces itself to linear and monotonous game design.

hatchx

Banned
Yoboman said:

[img/]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/329/928519_112206_screen010.jpg[/img]

Amen.

I hope by simpler they mean more action and exploration.

Wii motion+ will make archery, sword play, hammer, fishing, and canouing/sailing a whole lot smoother. I'm definitely excited.

I'm more concerned about the presentation. I wasn't big on Twilight Princess, it was a few years two late. Everything feels so perfectly laid out, the world feels fake.

Beth Cyra

Yoboman said:

My only problem with that is I think Shawdow of the Colossus is an overrated game that everyone loves to wank off, so if it is that or Twilight Princess, I will take Twilight all over again thanks.

jay

Aonuma was actually making Shadow of the Colossus in '96 but then Miyamoto punched him in the face and demanded he add a ton of weapons and ditch the atmosphere and artistic presentation.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
TruePrime said:
My only problem with that is I think Shawdow of the Colossus is an overrated game that everyone loves to wank off, so if it is that or Twilight Princess, I will take Twilight all over again thanks.

get the fuck out.

SoC is great.

jay said:
Aonuma was actually making Shadow of the Colossus in '96 but then Miyamoto punched him in the face and demanded he add a ton of weapons and ditch the atmosphere and artistic presentation.
You want an Aonuma game where Miyamoto has no part in it? You got it! It's called Phantom Hourglass.

Beth Cyra

Big Ass Ramp said:
get the fuck out.

SoC is great.

Hey man if that is your thing then more power to you. I just find it crazy you pointed out a game that over and over agian people have claimed having a huge world but had nothing to do in it yet then you go and praise a game that has actually nothing in it at all except 12 boss fights and a fucking shitty frame rate that gave me headaches when nothing was even happening on screen.

So no I won't leave and I will call SoC the shit that it is.

Yoboman said:
"Hey Link, here is some basic equipment. We need 8 orb things to save the world, and we don't know where they are. Go find them and get back with us."

I like it :D

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
TruePrime said:
I just find it crazy you pointed out a game that over and over agian people have claimed having a huge world but had nothing to do in it yet then you go and praise a game that has actually nothing in it at all except 12 boss fights and a fucking shitty frame rate that gave me headaches when nothing was even happening on screen.

its art. you wouldnt get it.

Top Bottom