• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Zelda is too Complicated and wants Zelda Wii more Approachable

Shiiiiiit... Last time he did this Mario got 3 other characters on the screen during singleplayer. New Wii Zelda with 3 times the Link, and bubbles to help you simply float through the water temple! It's a veritable cluster-fuck for the eyes!

Seriously though. I'm excited but, I hope they get it right this time.

Sir Johnny said:
By the way, I find this girl as sexy as the piece of metal she is supposed to represent.
I would hit her so hard that if someone pulled me out they would travel 7 years foward in time!

link_frees_master_sword_lg.jpg

selig said:
:lol
You had me agreeing until the last sentence, which is the most wrong thing I read this week on gaf. Worst example for proving what you said in the sentence before, which I really agree with. But SotC wasnt compelling. It´s an overrated game.
You are simply wrong there!
Regarding simplicity: I'm all for it. It can still be epic at the same time. :) Hardcore complicated game mechanics aren't really an advantage for anyone.

selig said:
You had me agreeing until the last sentence, which is the most wrong thing I read this week on gaf. Worst example for proving what you said in the sentence before, which I really agree with. But SotC wasnt compelling. It´s an overrated game.
SMH

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the zealots and the detractors balance the scale, and it all seems to level out.

it's "rated" pretty much exactly as it should be.

upandaway

I'm kinda disappointed at the "surprise and satisfy" line. All I gather from that "more Spinner items! More long dungeons! Done!"
The thing I want the most out of Zelda, good enemies, is not really anywhere in Miyamoto's words.

Still being optimistic though. I enjoyed most Zeldas enough to get everything in them. Phantom Hourglass is the only exception really, and even then mostly because it involved luck more than anything.

Eliciel

those statements always turn out to break games...hopefully they don't demolish my beloved Link to the past :(

jay

KeeSomething said:
You want an Aonuma game where Miyamoto has no part in it? You got it! It's called Phantom Hourglass.

I thought I was clearly being sarcastic.

Though I liked Phantom Hourglass. Am I allowed to think multiple people in a company can be very talented?

I love the Zelda series but at this day and age it seems the gameplay is missing a certain flow. A bit rusty. Look at Mario Galaxy, this game is one huge accessible river of awesomeness but still very challenging. Maybe that's what the team is aiming for. That wouldn't mean it's easy or stripped down contentwise.

eXistor

I'm not a fan of that piece of artwork at all, I hope the game at least is colorful like the older Zelda's, not brown like TP. Not a fan of the "mature" style either, but that won't affect my opinion on the game much.

kizmah

I am reading this as a Zelda that is more like Red Steel 2. That means less weapons (in Zelda's case items used only in one dungeon and after that pretty useless) and more emphasis on motion controlled swordplay wich to me would be "simpler" seeing as motion controlls are more logical and easier to grasp while at the same time allowing for a far more involving and complicated combat system. Red Steel 2 nailed the use of Motion+ and I really can't see why Nintendo themselves wouldn't take the experience one step further. Especially considering that Myamoto said that Zelda Wii would probably be Motion+ only already at last years E3.

darkwings

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Another Zelda thread, another GAF overreaction.

Aonuma is the reason Zelda is in the shithole right now.

As an example, the trains in Spirit Tracks are Aonuma's son's fault.

Agreed. Nintendo has to relocate Aonuma away from Zelda. Far away.

Fewer weapons with much more uses in the environment would be better than countless items and weapons you only use a few times in the end anyway.

darkwings said:
Agreed. Nintendo has to relocate Aonuma away from Zelda. Far away.

No, they just need to demote him to the position he had on OoT. When he was put in charge of the franchise Zelda lost its best ever dungeon designer and gained a terrible producer.

Mithos

And I who hate the fact that all things are found in the same cave/dungeon its gonna be used in...

I want a Zelda where the key to that gold door in dungeon 8 is found in dungeon 3, and to access dungeon 3 you need to get the secret passage in dungeon 5 etc.

I want some difficulty.......

leroy hacker said:
No, they just need to demote him to the position he had on OoT. When he was put in charge of the franchise Zelda lost its best ever dungeon designer and gained a terrible producer.
The question is why is Majora's Mask the best Zelda and has the best dungeons ever? Wind Waker's dungeons were really enjoyable as well and in my opinions were the strongest point of the game.

selig

Banned
Mithos said:
And I who hate the fact that all things are found in the same cave/dungeon its gonna be used in...

I want a Zelda where the key to that gold door in dungeon 8 is found in dungeon 3, and to access dungeon 3 you need to get the secret passage in dungeon 5 etc.

I want unncecessary and annoying backtracking.......

I want freedom and optionality. I want to solve dungeon 3 in 3-4 different ways, depending on what items I, coincidentially, not mandatorily, found in the overworld of the game. I want a "oh, wow, that actually worked!"-feeling.

beelzebozo said:
well, if they can do for the sword with motion+ what the pointer did for the bow. . .

If they can do for the bow with motion+ what WiiSportsResort did for the sword...

trinest

DieNgamers said:
The question is why is Majora's Mask the best Zelda and has the best dungeons ever? Wind Waker's dungeons were really enjoyable as well and in my opinions were the strongest point of the game.
I think its more of the team then whos in charge- MM had some more promatant key players from the past on it.

darkwings

Banned
DieNgamers said:

I think the dugeons in OoT and MM are better then the ones in WW.

Mithos said:

I want some difficulty.......
Yeah, I've thought about this quite a few times, but every time I do, it always feels like its getting too close to metroid. I would love it, but Im not so sure nintendo would do it. To be honest, I found a few of the dungeons in Spirit Tracks pretty difficult, but I tend to be a bit backwards in this regard. I get stuck on the easy stuff, and blaze through the difficult sections.

Amir0x

Banned
Like I said in the other thread

:facepalm:

Leave the goddamn hardcore franchises alone, for fuck's sake Miyamoto. You don't got it anymore. Go back to cooking trainers and dog walking simulators, with the occasional Mario Galaxy input, PLEASE.

Unless you reveal Pikmin 3 at E3. Then I forgive you.

upandaway

hamzik said:
I am reading this as a Zelda that is more like Red Steel 2. That means less weapons (in Zelda's case items used only in one dungeon and after that pretty useless) and more emphasis on motion controlled swordplay wich to me would be "simpler" seeing as motion controlls are more logical and easier to grasp while at the same time allowing for a far more involving and complicated combat system. Red Steel 2 nailed the use of Motion+ and I really can't see why Nintendo themselves wouldn't take the experience one step further. Especially considering that Myamoto said that Zelda Wii would probably be Motion+ only already at last years E3.
You're not reading that, you're just saying what you want to happen. He said absolutely nothing to hint at any of this.

selig

Banned
Amir0x said:
Like I said in the other thread

:facepalm:

Leave the goddamn hardcore franchises alone, for fuck's sake Miyamoto. You don't got it anymore. Go back to cooking trainers and dog walking simulators, with the occasional Mario Galaxy input, PLEASE.

Unless you reveal Pikmin 3 at E3. Then I forgive you.

Wronger words never have been spoken. :/
As long as genius decisions like first-person view in MP are born thanks to Miyamoto, I want him to do all my Zelda. Unlike Aonuma, who f**** up enough Zelda-games already. Miyamoto for gameplay, Tezuka for story, presentation and lore, and we´d have the perfect Zelda-game.

Amir0x

Banned
Anybody who thinks the answer to improving Zelda is making it "more approachable" (how much more approachable can it be? FUCK grandma and her semi-retarded, no-motor-skills spawn), and anybody that thinks the recent spate of pathetically easy Zelda titles is "too complicated" does not got it.

They are too encapsulated in Nintendo's blue ocean fucktardedness to see the reality of which franchises need this sort of treatment, and which ones don't. That's where Miyamoto is at right now. Everything to him needs some sort of "Wii"-simplification.

Zelda is one of the franchises that does not need this.

Pikmin, actually, could benefit from more approachability via Wii controls.

Knowing this difference is key to quality for the hardcore gamer.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
there's a difference between "dumbing down" and "getting rid of useless hindrances to playing the game." nintendo has shown with the recent mario efforts that they can make something totally approachable and still very challenging and complex.

stop wigging out. it's very unbecoming.

beelzebozo said:
there's a difference between "dumbing down" and "getting rid of useless hindrances to playing the game." nintendo has shown with the recent mario efforts that they can make something totally approachable and still very challenging and complex.

I agree, Zelda needs this overhaul. I really hope it's a simple game with more focus on the overall epxerience. Do this, Miyamoto! (I'm no hardcore gamer, though :p)

I've learned thanks to this thread that Miyamoto came up with a lot of the awesome ideas in Galaxy and Majora's Mask. I'm quite shocked considering I wanted Miyamoto far away as possible with Zelda. Now I want Aonuma far as possible from the Zelda franchise. :lol

I think, by controls, he's more referring to item management.
A more streamlined way to access your items and use them would be a great help to both new comers and die hards.
It would speed up the gameplay and battles.

So basically, as I've said in the old Zelda Wii threads, is that the girl will probably follow (hover) Link around changing into different items and weapons. If you select the sword, as you do a striking motion, the girl will form a somewhat striking wave move to attack enemies. If you want to use a bown n arrow, she'll turn into one.

Amir0x

Banned
beelzebozo said:

stop wigging out. it's very unbecoming.

Mario Galaxy was one of the only games where they actually specifically went AGAINST that trend, even going so far as to explicitly state they wanted the sequel to be harder.

The result is what they said. Here, they are specifically saying the opposite and I'm going to expect the opposite - toned down crap for the hand-crippled set.

Mario Galaxy is NOT an example of something being more 'approachable.' It is as complicated if not more so than any other 3D Mario to date.

That's why it's one of the best games of all time.

selig

Banned
I thought I posted it on page 1, but never mind. "More approachable" means "less complicated controls". And that´s something that´s in no way a "Wii-simplifcation".

In TP, you had abstract gesture-based special moves, you had items on the d-pad that you had to activate, then sometimes you have to put items back by pressing A, sometimes not. Sometimes you point, sometimes not. There´s a horse that really wasnt necessary. There´s items that served only for one specific moment.

It´s all that that Miyamoto´s talking about. If that´s dumbing down to some, then...more dumbing down, please.

1-D_FTW

selig said:
Wronger words never have been spoken. :/
As long as genius decisions like first-person view in MP are born thanks to Miyamoto, I want him to do all my Zelda. Unlike Aonuma, who f**** up enough Zelda-games already. Miyamoto for gameplay, Tezuka for story, presentation and lore, and we´d have the perfect Zelda-game.

Exactly. Metroid Prime destroys all post-OOT 3D Zeldas. Any input from Miyamoto is welcome. It's not like he can do anything to make the series any more formulaic and boring. It's been a downhill roll and Aonuma clearly needs some kind of guidance to understand what the series is. He's like a third-party who mines the classic Nintendo formula for a game and completely misses the essential things that gave those games heart. He's a technician, not an artist.

Amir0x

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
completely misses the essential things that gave those games heart..

Yeah, I hope these developers dont forget to put in the classic NINTENDO HEART. :puke:

Heart, here, being defined by wistful recollections of childhood, cradling memories of a better time when games were more PURE and Zelda seemed so brand new and we had no adult responsibilities!

Don't forget to add the other essential ingredients to the game development formula - MAGIC, FAIRY DUST and the POWERPUFF GIRLS.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
selig said:
I thought I posted it on page 1, but never mind. "More approachable" means "less complicated controls". And that´s something that´s in no way a "Wii-simplifcation".
You expect too much attention from the average GAF user.

Kittonwy

Banned
selig said:
It´s purely relating to controls. He says "We put a lot of effort into making the the controls gamer-friendly, because Zelda has become complicated". No dumbing down of the actual gameplay or whatever someone could interpret without context.

Zelda controls aren't complicated though, they're standard 3D controls with automatic jump.

Celine

Amir0x said:
Mario Galaxy was one of the only games where they actually specifically went AGAINST that trend, even going so far as to explicitly state they wanted the sequel to be harder.

The result is what they said. Here, they are specifically saying the opposite and I'm going to expect the opposite - toned down crap for the hand-crippled set.

Mario Galaxy is NOT an example of something being more 'approachable.' It is as complicated if not more so than any other 3D Mario to date.

That's why it's one of the best games of all time.

“For us, two things are important: to meet expectations and to surprise people. How we do it this time, I will not reveal. Normally, we create the video sequences, and these sequences are expanded. But this time we started with the game structure. And then with the video sequences. So this time it was reversed. Therefore, we have had little so far from the game to show. But will publish a lot close to the game’s completion. For us, it is important to the to optimize gameplay and make the controls easier. We do our best"

Celine

Kittonwy said:
Zelda controls aren't complicated though, they're standard 3D controls with automatic jump.
This time however they are rewriting the control scheme if they want to integrate the Wii Motion + controller.

wind_steacker said:

Who is the guy in your avatar ?

Top Bottom