• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink moved up to May 10th (US) | May 13th (EU)

CyReN

dFF804

http://twitter.com/#!/brinkgame/status/57463663828803585

Probably didn't want to get Alan Wake'd by Rockstar.

DaBuddaDa

Thank fucking god. Releasing the same day as L.A. Noire and Witcher 2 was suicide. I guess Bethesda saw the brick wall they were going to run into.

abunai

I will never understand why we still have staggered release dates in the age of digital distribution.

Still, good news that it's not being sent out to die anymore.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is this going to have a demo? All the ideas they have for the game seem great but the actual footage of people playing (not in promo videos) have looked kind of rough to me. I'd like to try it out though. This is basically MP only, right? I'm more of an SP guy so that's probably why I keep going back and forth on this.

zlatko

Banned
Tguy said:
There's so little hype for this game :(

I hope it at least has a strong community.

On Gaf there is a strong amount of hype. It's my most anticipated game of this entire year, and yes I'm aware of all the amazing games headed out this year too that I want to get my hands on.

Brink just looks like it strikes every right chord with me. I hope it delivers. :)

That's really weird. I swore it was around the 10th already (I preordered it in February and haven't been paying much attention.) so I went to check Amazon. Sure enough, Amazon has it listed for release on May 17th. And yet I swore I saw an earlier date for it, so I checked my pre-order and lo and behold what does it say:

Delivery Estimate: May 4 - May 7, 2011

I'm special!

Firebrand

Nice. Looking forward to this.

Don't know where to buy it yet, Amazon.co.uk is the cheapest by far which I guess it what matters, but their DLC pack (Psycho) is the least interesting of them all. Local retailers give me two packs (Spec Ops and DOOM), the Fallout one is the one I'd really like though.

bangai-o said:
does this game have bots?
Yes. Apparantely you can start a campaign mission with bots and have friends (and foes) drop in at any time.

zlatko

Banned
RoboPlato said:
Is this going to have a demo? All the ideas they have for the game seem great but the actual footage of people playing (not in promo videos) have looked kind of rough to me. I'd like to try it out though. This is basically MP only, right? I'm more of an SP guy so that's probably why I keep going back and forth on this.

The single player, co-op, and multiplayer is all the same thing. There's two factions, each with its own campaign. The levels are divided up with objectives for each faction to do to win. So if you go through the whole game by yourself, when you are ready to do "multiplayer," you'll be doing those same levels, except now the opponents that were A.I and the buddies that were A.I are real people.

This makes it so the skills you learn playing by yourself or just with friends with drop in/out co-op, will go straight to the multiplayer component. :)

zlatko

Banned
Firebrand said:
Nice. Looking forward to this.

Don't know where to buy it yet, Amazon.co.uk is the cheapest by far which I guess it what matters, but their DLC pack (Psycho) is the least interesting of them all. Local retailers give me two packs (Spec Ops and DOOM), the Fallout one is the one I'd really like though.

Yes. Apparantely you can start a campaign mission with bots and have friends (and foes) drop in at any time.

Well the Amazon pack at least gives you that magnum gun you won't get anywhere else. The Fallout pack would only give you cosmetic things. Oh and the Amazon one gives you that can silencer as well. When you think about it the Amazon one is the best, because you get two in game items.

zlatko

Banned
Genesis Knight said:

I want to pre-order it from Amazon right now, but the dates have not been changed. Plus, there's no free release day shipping option anymore? WTF? It had the estimated date for May 24th-28th, so I decided not to order.

zlatko

Banned
All you non believers don't have to worry. Us willing to take the plunge will gloat over its awesomeness when we get it, so you can then feel more safe in your purchase.

Or if it's a giant turd I'll personally let you know about that too. ;)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I need to see a demo on console and PC so I can make a decision. The game reminds me of Team Fortress 2, but I need to see more (especially in how it performs and how well it is balanced).

zlatko said:
All you non believers don't have to worry. Us willing to take the plunge will gloat over its awesomeness when we get it, so you can then feel more safe in your purchase.

I'm with you on that. I have been looking forward to this game for a long time and am very interested in the mechanics it has to offer. If it falls flat on its face, I will not refrain from tearing this game apart. I have a lot of hopes that this game can bring a fresh take to FPS though.

DanielJr82

They pushed up the release date? Nice, it's a change of pace as well from the usual delays. =)

*Will be playing the very agile soldier and engineer*

thaOwner said:
Like what I've seen so far but would really like a demo before I pull the trigger. No demo, no buy.
I think this is easily the biggest hurdle Splash Damage is facing regarding Brink. Being a New IP in the crowded shooter market, you need people to try out your game to see if they like it. Not everyone has played every Splash Damage game for hundreds of hours and knows what to expect. A demo is an absolute must for this game IMO and the lack of a demo can only hurt this game.

No demo confirmed. Hope Bethesda and Splash Damage don't whine when this game doesn't meet expectations. They should be saying sorry to themselves over that.

zlatko

Banned
Darkshier said:
I'm with you on that. I have been looking forward to this game for a long time and am very interested in the mechanics it has to offer. If it falls flat on its face, I will not refrain from tearing this game apart. I have a lot of hopes that this game can bring a fresh take to FPS though.

Same boat I'm in. This game just has the elements I love from gaming:

1) Tons of customization on character appearance. I'm a junkie for this since I was an avid MMO player.

2) The movement system. This has been a giant piss me off switch in games up to this where I get stuck on invisible 1 foot high crates in FPS games. I'm a super soldier of doom, but oh shit that's a 1 foot high box in my way, better find another route.

3) Class based shooter and the idea of light, medium, heavy people to change how your character plays and the guns they get access to. This should hopefully lead to several awesome ways to play to keep the game fresh and interesting for a bevy of players.

Those are the big 3 that going into the game are making me feel sound about my day one purchase. Plus, the people who posted in the Pax thread a while back who played had nothing but praise for the game.

The only way I could really see this failing is: Online lag issues/matchmaking issues, game breaking glitches resulting from the movement system to get out of maps, or not enough maps/levels to play on to keep the game fresh each time you play.

If it can avoid those mistakes, and bring to the table what it's bringing, then I could see this game selling a lot by word of mouth as well as setting a new bar in at least the movement barriers in FPS games. I don't think Brink will be a CoD killer, Halo Killer, or even a Battlefield killer, but if Brink is a super solid game that sells well and becomes that summer smash hit multi game, then I could see Brink 2 becoming a super hyped game that can establish Brink as a AAA front runner in the FPS genre.

I hope it succeeds. :)

KingDizzi

Banned
zlatko said:

Oh I believed but damn the Beta was simply horrific, did not bother after about 3-4 games. That was late last year though however can't see them having made drastic changes since then but really was a huge disappointment. Concept sounded great and the reveal video was nice but Splash Damage have not managed to execute it properly...again if the Beta is anything to go by. You really should wait a couple weeks before buying, can't see the game having changes so drastically in 4 months.

Weird time to release this game, right near LA Noire. Not that game looks like utter shit but the biggie here is that game will get the R* advertising glam, RR was advertised to hell and back last year and can't see this game being any different at all. Most advertised game last year I would say besides maybe DQ IX, Take Two really do make sure everyone knows that they have a game releasing.

syoaran

Honestly I'm very much looking forward to this, feels almost like Borderlands 2.0. Hoping that I'll actually get into the community of players here on the PC as it's confirmed to have dedicated servers by the looks of it

Rad-

I'm not sure why people are doubting its selling power. If Homefront can sell well, surely Brink can?

KingDizzi said:
Oh I believed but damn the Beta was simply horrific, did not bother after about 3-4 games. That was late last year though however can't see them having made drastic changes since then but really was a huge disappointment. Concept sounded great and the reveal video was nice but Splash Damage have not managed to execute it properly...again if the Beta is anything to go by.

So what was wrong with the beta?
NDA?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Rad- said:
I'm not sure why people are doubting its selling power. If Homefront can sell well, surely Brink can?

I don't see Brink getting 10% of Homefront's marketing budget.

Top Bottom