• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's still confirmed that MQ doesn't unlock until beating the game first right?

If so, I'll continue to pass on a 3DS purchase.

Gino said:
Really? That seems insane.
WTF. One of the only reasons I was going to buy the remake was because I never played through Master Quest. Now I have to play through the whole entire game to do so? Will still buy, but hype diminished... :/

I'm not too worried about Master Quest being locked until you go through the initial game. Should be fun seeing everything in 3D with improved textures.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sfried said:
Nah. I can 100% OoT within 5 days straight.
5 days? 100% takes like 10 hours unless you have no idea what you're doing.

It'll be nice if they let us skip to MQ by entering Zelda as our name.

sfried

Fuzzy said:
5 days? 100% takes like 10 hours unless you have no idea what you're doing.
Trust me, I've beaten OoT 100% within 5 days of straight playing (the good ol' days...). Never had any issue with the Water Temple. Folks just don't know the SOP of killing everthing in the room.

bummyhead

Naked Snake said:
1302739812Zelda_OcarinaofTime_SS_5.jpg

I hated this dungeon. All pink inside, like being in a moist vagina.

Personally, I enjoy being in moist vaginas, guess I'm weird.

MrSerrels

I'm hyped for this, but I wonder if I have the patience to play through this game again for the 12th time or whatever. 3D and improved textures will be interesting for about ten mins, then I'll forget about those upgrades completely.

Hope Zelda shows up on the demo units...really, really want this and a 3DS but I just don't have the funds to spread around at he moment...

Mr. Wonderful said:
WTF. One of the only reasons I was going to buy the remake was because I never played through Master Quest. Now I have to play through the whole entire game to do so? Will still buy, but hype diminished... :/
What a tragedy. They force you to play one of the best games ever first before letting you play a poorly rearranged version of it.

Sorry for sounding like a Dick, but thats just a silly complaint.

wrowa

sfried said:
Trust me, I've beaten OoT 100% within 5 days of straight playing (the good ol' days...). Never had any issue with the Water Temple. Folks just don't know the SOP of killing everthing in the room.
Actually, he was implying that 5 days is pretty slow :p

lostinblue said:
Oh, how I wish they gave Zelda to Koizumi.

That guy is a storytelling god.

Hear, hear! Most people nowadays think of Super Mario Galaxy when they hear Koizumi's name, but this man wrote the story to Link's Awakening! The job of writing Zelda stories should have been made his by default since 1993!

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at the Wikipedia article for Yoshiaki Koizumi, I see that he's actually done much for Zelda that I had previously thought.

image1gx.jpg

Created the three day system in Majora's Mask? He really should be in charge!

That guy… Is god. He tries to make everything multi layered. I mean he's the guy that tried to put a optional story in Mario Galaxy (and succeeded) of course it's there only for those who want it (just like in Zelda) but it's surprisingly deep; he's wasted on Mario.

Link's Awakening, OoT split timeline theory, Majora Mask… Hell, I bet the whole "sage's assasination" and the hylian conversations only being unwinded in +new game is his doing as well. This guy defined Zelda storytelling and is clearly the person that can do it best.

I shiver with the thoughts of a imprisioning war game made by him. YES, IMPRISIONING WAR, 7 years after Majora Mask, like Twilight Princess was slated to be in 2004.

I mean, this deserves to be rehashed and rehashed:

–When does Twilight Princess take place?

Aonuma:[/B] In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

–And the Wind Waker?

Aonuma:
The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon
and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there's a scene showing Ganon's execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power…

(...)

Aonuma: Back then we considered making it the sequel of Ocarina of Time, some years later… But then we thought of the first-time players, who wouldn’t understand a thing if you started as a wolf, so we changed it and had human Link from the start.[/B]
Source: http://www.thehylia.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1173582355

Note: In E3 2004 there wasn't any Wolf implemented, the idea came afterwards, it was a different game which explains why almost everything they've shown is not in the final game, just some enemies and the fire boss; the scenery is all different) That was why there were hordes of orcs for a sunset battle, that was OoT's sequel, that was Hero of Time in MM universe, adult again and facing Ganon, Imprisioning War! And I still love the freaking trailer; I love TP as well but hey, not the same game, it only shared the same development cycle.

I want my motherf*cking imprisioning war (and they left the hole for it, it just has to finish with Ganon being imprisoned again and being given final judgement by the Sages)… Koizumi wouldn't fail me! In fact if it was done by anyone that person should be Koizumi (also, the time/hardware generation would be right, with the OoT re-release on 3DS).

There's also space for a Wind Waker prequel with a failed hero (let's face it, how could there be awakened sages to be killed otherwise? why would ganon even feel the need to do so if nobody was the Master Sword's rightful owner?) And we, hero of time who ceased to exist in that time plane after OoT NEVER, EVER met Valoo or King of Red Lions (or Laruto and Fado, for that matter) who clearly met the "hero of legends", so they must have met another hero… that ultimately failed because Ganon killed the sages that would power the sword of evil bane, I envision him only discovering that in the last battle being unable to seal him and being either sealed along with him or at least having a last battle in ganon tower (just like in wind waker) with hyrule being flooded already. A bittersweet Zelda tale of a forgotten hero (that still managed to save Zelda, seeing Tetra exists, and probably sacrificed himself)… I bet the tips left behind were Koizumi's too.

GAH! WANT!

I actually saw a TV ad for this on ITV before I switched over to Doctor Who. I was surprised to see a game ad that didn't go all Jedward on us.

boris feinbrand said:
What a tragedy. They force you to play one of the best games ever first before letting you play a poorly rearranged version of it.

I don't think it's a silly complaint. I just played the game a few months ago all the way through on Wii VC. Playing through it again just to unlock the Master Quest won't be much fun, it'll be boring busywork, to get to the part where the game feels more fresh and new.

Boogiepop

Ugh, it's coming across to me finally that this really is entirely a graphic update, and that's it pretty much (not counting minor control changes I guess.) I mean, is this really a Nintendo remake that literally doesn't add ANY new content? Seems crazy, but the biggest hyped "additions" are "boss rush" (which is pretty much experience content X again when you want) and Master Quest, which they don't appear to have changed at all outside of flipping, which is again a graphical thing. Jeez. I really don't think I can justify this, considering I already own the game 3 times, two of which were free. :(

Outtrigger888 said:
I thought beating the game unlocks mirror mode, never heard of master quest being included until now!
That's what "mirror mode" is, they changed the Master Quest to be mirrored to increase how different it would feel and the player's disorientation.

Eh it makes sense to me. Much of Master Quests difficulty comes in subverting peoples knowledge and expectations about the dungeons. The problem is that unless people have played the game already they will have no expectations to subvert. To people who have never played the original the master quest will mean nothing.

boris feinbrand said:

Except I was only going to play the game once. I don't have a ton of time to spend gaming. If there was any version I wanted to play, it was the one I have never played before.

GJS

Mank said:
Ugh, it's coming across to me finally that this really is entirely a graphic update, and that's it pretty much (not counting minor control changes I guess.) I mean, is this really a Nintendo remake that literally doesn't add ANY new content? Seems crazy, but the biggest hyped "additions" are "boss rush" (which is pretty much experience content X again when you want) and Master Quest, which they don't appear to have changed at all outside of flipping, which is again a graphical thing. Jeez. I really don't think I can justify this, considering I already own the game 3 times, two of which were free. :(
You shouldn't be trying to justify the purchase, if the game isn't selling it self to you just don't buy it, just wait for some other games.

RedSwirl

What were people really expecting when this was first announced? I never really expected anything other than a graphical update. What else does the game need?

WillyFive

RedSwirl said:
What were people really expecting when this was first announced? I never really expected anything other than a graphical update. What else does the game need?

Everything it lost from when it made the move from 64DD to cartridge.

RedSwirl said:
Unfreezing Zora Domain.
Willy105 said:
Everything it lost from when it made the move from 64DD to cartridge.
A lot of those couldn't be used now.

The skulltulla houses for instance were used on Majora Mask and were meant for OoT originally. And the whole 'Fable' thing 10 yeard prior… let's just say they learned something with it. They aren't attempting it again.

And the sword beam didn't work as it should, hence it was cut.

What they could have added is fleshing out the ice cave letting you free the imprisoned Zora's (as it was originally intended), and like said, unfreezing it.

One thing that's disappointing to me that I just found out is that
the Mario, bowser, etc paintings were removed and replaced with a generic landscape view out the window
. At least according to the images that I've seen.

Definitely not a deal breaker though, haha. Still looking forward to playing this game on the go and enjoying the enhanced graphics/control scheme. (It's been years since I last played OOT)

EDIT: Err, on close inspection...
the paintings are gone but instead it's a view of a level in super mario.
Which is actually pretty cool. Guess I should pay more attention to screenshots before I jump to conclusions.

bummyhead

PhoenixDawn said:
One thing that's disappointing to me that I just found out is that
the Mario, bowser, etc paintings were removed and replaced with a generic landscape view out the window
. At least according to the images that I've seen.

Definitely not a deal breaker though, haha. Still looking forward to playing this game on the go and enjoying the enhanced graphics/control scheme. (It's been years since I last played OOT)

EDIT: Err, on close inspection...
the paintings are gone but instead it's a view of a level in super mario.
Which is actually pretty cool. Guess I should pay more attention to screenshots before I jump to conclusions.

Oh my, well I admit it was a cool little easter egg back in the day, this is hardly something one should be worried about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSJsMyTU1CM
Somebody posted the orchestrated theme (clean) on YT, and disclosed the location. Guess since they spoke up, I can clarify it's in the 2011 credits section, which follows the 1998 credits part.

Now if only NOA would fricking get it together and allows us to finally do direct feed, I could actually make some good videos everyone wants to see. Probably not happening until post E3 though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
TSA said:
Somebody posted the orchestrated theme (clean) on YT, and disclosed the location. Guess since they spoke up, I can clarify it's in the 2011 credits section, which follows the 1998 credits part.

Now if only NOA would fricking get it together and allows us to finally do direct feed, I could actually make some good videos everyone wants to see. Probably not happening until post E3 though.

Aren't you allowed to do 30 secs videos? I think the maximum was 6 mins total.

Jarmel

Banned
TSA said:

Fuck I wish this played in the game, like when you're exploring. Better than nothing I guess but not by much. Unless...
It unlocks once you beat the game

BY2K said:
Aren't you allowed to do 30 secs videos? I think the maximum was 6 mins total.

I can't go into specifics, but yes - we could do "cam" footage right now, but we are waiting on a final piece of the "direct feed" puzzle so we can actually give you guys good footage. There is a max of 2.5 mins of footage allowed before the review embargo, and it's not going to be wasted on crappy cam footage when we have a direct feed option that (should) be available in advance of the embargo. You better believe though, when that embargo on video footage expires, there will be some pretty awesome videos ready to go on our site.

BY2K

Membero Americo
TSA said:
I can't go into specifics, but yes - we could do "cam" footage right now, but we are waiting on a final piece of the "direct feed" puzzle so we can actually give you guys good footage. There is a max of 2.5 mins of footage allowed before the review embargo, and it's not going to be wasted on crappy cam footage when we have a direct feed option that (should) be available in advance of the embargo. You better believe though, when that embargo on video footage expires, there will be some pretty awesome videos ready to go on our site.

Looking forward to the footage and the GT Review.

Kard8p3

BY2K said:
The music does sound different. Call me crazy, but it does!

EDIT: Kakariko village definitely sounds different.

Yeah and I'm pretty sure the tune that plays when you pull the master sword from the pedestal sounds better too but it could be my imagination.

Top Bottom