• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' Trailer (Oldman, Firth, Hardy, Strong)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt this will be one of the year's best films.

garyoldman-tinkertailersoliderspy-650x433.jpg

TRAILER (or YouTube)

Directed by Tomas Alfredson (Let The Right One In) and based on John le Carré‘s novel, Peter Straughan and Bridget O’Connor have scripted Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Cast: Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch, Toby Jones, David Dencik, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Stephen Graham, Kathy Burke, and Ciarán Hinds.

Synopsis:
Based on the classic novel of the same name, the international thriller is set at the height of the Cold War years of the mid-20th Century. George Smiley (Gary Oldman), a disgraced British spy, is rehired in secret by his government – which fears that the British Secret Intelligence Service, a.k.a. MI-6, has been compromised by a double agent working for the Soviets.

Focus Features will release Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy wide on November 18th, 2011.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The title already had my attention, as it sounded even slightly creative. Synopsis, director and cast are only getting me more excited.

The Dark Knight Rises duo & last year's Best Actor Oscar winner? I don't know how it can get any better. Oh yeah, Mark f'in Strong and Sherlock himself Benedict Cumberbatch.

tom-hardy-tinker-tailor-solider-spy-movie-image.jpg

colin-firth-tinker-tailor-solider-spy-movie-image.jpg

nitewulf

wasn't there a TV series? regardless...any Le Carre based adaptation, specially with this kind of a cast is a given must watch.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Expendable. said:
The Dark Knight Rises duo & last year's Best Actor Oscar winner? I don't know how it can get any better. Oh yeah, Mark f'in Strong and Sherlock himself Benedict Cumberbatch.

Was about to say, you left off Sherlock. You also left off Julius F'in Ceasar.

An-Det

It doesnt have Patrick Stewart as Karla though. That alone will make it tough to prefer the new version.

The cast is otherwise awesome though.

RealMeat

Banned
I read the book a few years ago and I thought it was kind of boring. With that cast, I'm sure they'll be able to make the movie great.

Ithil

nitewulf said:
wasn't there a TV series? regardless...any Le Carre based adaptation, specially with this kind of a cast is a given must watch.
Yes, BBC made one in the 70's with Alec Guinness. It's generally considered brilliant.

pringles

I was already hyped just from seeing the cast, and the trailer does not disappoint. Looks fantastic.

Blader5489 said:
Oldman said this his best role yet.

Can't wait.
The man deserves an Oscar. Maybe this is the role that'll get him one.

All this masturbatory talk of the cast, and no one mentions Ciaran Hinds? Dude is fucking awesome.

Man, that cast is fucking insane.

Dead Man

PhoncipleBone said:
All this masturbatory talk of the cast, and no one mentions Ciaran Hinds? Dude is fucking awesome.

Shit, missed him. He is awesome, for sure.

paskowitz

I think Simon McBurney deserves a shout out as well. He never has a lead role but he is always plays his part convincingly.

filler

Banned
Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

The title is a nice play on the cherry tree rhyme.

Peru

This is such a rich, rewarding story that, assuming this movie is good, you'll lose nothing reading the book or watching the (best ever) tv series before going to this, or vice versa -- in other words, you NEED to watch the Alec Guiness original, whether before or after watching this movie, and you WILL feel that the story is still deep enough to go through it many times afterwards.

Gambit

Very much looking forward to it, but I have one complaint about the thread title: Why no mention of Benedict Cumberbatch? He is excellent, as evidenced by my avatar.

Anyway, the trailer looks fantastic. I´ve just been listening to an audio book of "The man who came in from the cold", so I am in a Le Carre mood. (The audiobook was actually read by him. Great performance)

EDIT:

PhoncipleBone said:

Yes, Hail Caesar! BTW: he was mentioned in the Harry potter credits, but I only glimpsed his name out of the corner of my eye. Who did he play? I must have missed him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom