• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circle T

Samsung actually reportedly has a counter in the i777 that knows when you reset the counter. So no app or even jig fixes it. No worries here though, I rooted/flashed it the first time in such a way that no counter will ever go off. I just can't use ODIN.

I did not know this. Bummer.

Flash...counter?

As in, they count the number of times you flash the device..? For what purpose?

Any time you enter Download mode, if you flash a new binary it increases a counter in the phone. This will then present itself as a Yellow "Caution" triangle on the boot image. They do this so it will be easy to spot phones that have been altered if sent for warranty work. The app I linked to can reset this counter to make them appear unaltered, but I guess as Ashhong said, only on some devices.

Doopliss

wasnt there a big fallout with samsung and some big ROM builders? or am i thinking of another company
Courtesy of Team Hacksung: blamesamsung.org/

Relatedly, as of a few hours ago CM9 on the SGS2 (I9100) has working (though slightly buggy) video recording. Makes me a lot more confident that in time they'll get pretty much everything fixed.

Cipherr

So i get that phones get released quickly after unveil nowadays but i find it really strange that samsung is keeping new info on the S3 so tight (even on MWC).

Maybe they encountered a problem? Even if the S3 will be "better" than the One X, i bet that HTC will market the "first quadcore" spec to the max and steal thunder from the S3.

I think its more likely that Samsung wants to have a much more tightly knit release around the world than a 7 or so month delay between regions. And nothing the One X does is going to steal much thunder from the S3. The S2 was just far to big, and much to popular a phone.

When the S3 hits, people will pay attention, no matter what HTC is doing.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yup, for the first time, people are looking towards the S3 the way people look towards a new iphone. Samsung is playing it extra safe to maximize hype.

tino

Banned
I don't know when was the SGSII first available (presumably in an European country) last year, but I get a feeling the SIII will come out around the same time. Samsung is just delaying the announcement.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yup, for the first time, people are looking towards the S3 the way people look towards a new iphone. Samsung is playing it extra safe to maximize hype.

Dunno why, none of the rumors I've read are particularly exciting, cept maybe the quad core thing but who knows if that's the case.

Donos

I think its more likely that Samsung wants to have a much more tightly knit release around the world than a 7 or so month delay between regions. And nothing the One X does is going to steal much thunder from the S3. The S2 was just far to big, and much to popular a phone.

When the S3 hits, people will pay attention, no matter what HTC is doing.

Yeah but HTC (and sense) is quite popular (in Germany) and i wouldn't underestimate the HTC brand. They are not some second tier android players like motorola or LG. The S3 will be huge a success no doubt but i just say that htc will take away some marketshare.
I just wish the Galaxy Phones would have smoother edges like the recent htc's and the Galaxy Nexus (sexiest phone for me atm).
Whatever, competition will take down the prices and regardless which phone i buy (S3 or One X) i will just dump Sense/Touchwhiz and go with vanilla ICS rom. Sorry for my bad spelling.

Donos

The Atrix line is AT&T's name. A third version is probably in development now

A third? ok, missed this. How fared the second? Moto had nice ideas with the dock but i got the feeling that it didn't that well (the dock).

I think the Atrix is also available in Europe / Germany without a special carrier branding(after a quick Amazon check, it is).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
A third? ok, missed this. How fared the second? Moto had nice ideas with the dock but i got the feeling that it didn't that well (the dock).

I think the Atrix is also available in Europe / Germany without a special carrier branding(after a quick Amazon check, it is).

Yeah, Atrix is international, it seems. The second kinda came and went, iirc.

tino

Banned
I really like the Nokia Lumia 900 hardware. Has xda ported android to anything WP7 phone yet?

If somebody get ICS working on the 900, I would pick it over other Android phones, or the N9. The $99 on-contract price should compress the used price as well.

Funny thing, I had run Android on HD2 for well over a year and I didn't know the phone was still locked to TMobile. I thought the different OS would unlock it. I found out the hard way when I landed in China. I had to rush to a Starbuck to get on wifi and brought an unlock code on ebay.

JWong

Banned
Finally getting my Xperia S after several weeks of being sold out.

Anything I should do to it first? It's already unlocked.

Ocho

Since installing CM9, my Android OS is using most of my battery (before, on stock, the screen was the main culprit -- something reasonable). I understand this is a 'experimental' build, and issues like this happen, but can they be resolved? by my part? Read something about medio storage problems?

I'm running SGS2 nightlies, btw.

Angst

Since installing CM9, my Android OS is using most of my battery (before, on stock, the screen was the main culprit -- something reasonable). I understand this is a 'experimental' build, and issues like this happen, but can they be resolved? by my part? Read something about medio storage problems?

I'm running SGS2 nightlies, btw.

Get the latest nightly, the "android os bug" was fixed when 4.0.4 was rolled into the nightlies a couple of days ago.

Ocho

I think they are getting closer. There's an app that people recommend you use in the mean time but sadly I can't remember it :( You are on the international version?

Yes. I'm catching up to the thread now... I'll wait until they release it right. Tbh, I don't record ever anyway. :p

skybaby

So using that camera works perfectly? I wonder what the problem is with the stock Camera app then.

codeworkx released a cwm update just to replace the camera apk with a new one, so you can use that if you want stock fixed camera:
codeworkx said:
This patch replaces kernel and camera app.
Make sure you're running nightly 0330 before applying this via CWM:

Download:patch-cm-9-galaxys2-CAMERA-signed.zip

I suppose there is something wrong with samsung's drivers which he fixed on the app side

SHAZOOM

I have a question.

So my wife is upgrading to a iPhone, and that'll leave us with a spare Droid Inc. My Droid Inc's touch screen is acting up with a big dead spot in the middle of the screen.

When my wife gets her iPhone, I'm going to try to transfer my number onto her old Droid Inc, just so I can save my upgrade for (hopefully) a newer Xperia Play model or nicer ICS phone later on.

Just want to know if this is a good idea or not.

zbeeb

I have a question.

So my wife is upgrading to a iPhone, and that'll leave us with a spare Droid Inc. My Droid Inc's touch screen is acting up with a big dead spot in the middle of the screen.

When my wife gets her iPhone, I'm going to try to transfer my number onto her old Droid Inc, just so I can save my upgrade for (hopefully) a newer Xperia Play model or nicer ICS phone later on.

Just want to know if this is a good idea or not.

I don't really know how american carriers work (and if its any different to AU), but you should be able to just swap the sims and voila!

If you use google backup and factory reset your wifes phone and then log in with your gmail, it should automatically restore all your apps too.

giga

lol

VdmKG.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This is relavent to my inquiry as well. So the Play might get ICS too? Interesting.

Seems like it, I'm honestly impressed with the list. I didn't even know S-E had put out so many phones, let alone so many are even able to get ICS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom