• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozay

Banned
I really like the Nokia Lumia 900 hardware. Has xda ported android to anything WP7 phone yet?

If somebody get ICS working on the 900, I would pick it over other Android phones, or the N9. The $99 on-contract price should compress the used price as well.

Funny thing, I had run Android on HD2 for well over a year and I didn't know the phone was still locked to TMobile. I thought the different OS would unlock it. I found out the hard way when I landed in China. I had to rush to a Starbuck to get on wifi and brought an unlock code on ebay.
I don't think any of the WP7 phones have successful android ports yet, but you can get an N9 and run ICS on it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Back to using the stock browser. It's so much better than Chrome right now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I guess I should wait...

Edit: Wait, the Xperia S isn't on there FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

From Wiki: "The Xperia S is released with Android 2.3 Gingerbread but will receive an update to Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich in Q2 2012."

So don't fret. I'd still go with CM9 if only because it's closer to stock.

I got myself a Sony tablet s (love it so far) and im trying to bluetooth my samsung s2 to use BT controller to use my it as a controller until i get the cable to hook up a sixaxis... but it says both devices are paired but not connected. Any ideas?

Also some tablet oriented app recommendations would be nice :)

Polari

I got myself a Sony tablet s (love it so far) and im trying to bluetooth my samsung s2 to use BT controller to use my it as a controller until i get the cable to hook up a sixaxis... but it says both devices are paired but not connected. Any ideas?

Also some tablet oriented app recommendations would be nice :)

Can't you just root your Tablet S and download Sixaxis Controller from the market?

zedge

lol

VdmKG.png

ROFL..

you little shit...

HAHAHAHAH

Can't you just root your Tablet S and download Sixaxis Controller from the market?

Hmm well I could... to be honest i havent looked into rooting it, it seems to do everything else i want it to so i kinda wanted to keep it unrooted for now, until i feel tingly enough to go through with it

OatmealMu

What's a good solution for printing from an Android tablet to a wired printer? I'm thinking of connecting the printer to a wireless print server. As is, the other household printer works already, although I'm not sure what method it uses for snagging documents from the tablet. The printer is wifi-enabled, has Bluetooth, and is connected to Cloud Print. It just works, so I'll leave it alone.

USB is also an option, although that's another cable to worry about. Then there's the issue of drivers...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wonder if Chrome for Android includes Cloud Print...

Edit- It does not, unless I'm missing something.

Ashhong

What's a good solution for printing from an Android tablet to a wired printer? I'm thinking of connecting the printer to a wireless print server. As is, the other household printer works already, although I'm not sure what method it uses for snagging documents from the tablet. The printer is wifi-enabled, has Bluetooth, and is connected to Cloud Print. It just works, so I'll leave it alone.

USB is also an option, although that's another cable to worry about. Then there's the issue of drivers...

Is it by chance a Brother printer? Brother has a nifty app that allows you to print wirelessly to their printers.

JWong

Banned
Ugh, I don't feel like using my phone until I have my screen protector...

Edit: So uh, how do I use that CM 9.0? XDA loves to never give instructions.

Ashhong

Ugh, I don't feel like using my phone until I have my screen protector...

Edit: So uh, how do I use that CM 9.0? XDA loves to never give instructions.

What? XDA is all about directions. Find the right thread that shows how to root and then the CM9 thread should say how to install.

rozay

Banned
So my next phone after the nexus one looks like it'll be the nokia N9 since the ICS port has an official, pretty decently running alpha now.

http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=94.0

I don't think the galaxy nexus will hold up too well in the long run and this seems like the next best thing for my usage, not to mention the "google experience" has been shattered in my eyes since the Nexus S hasn't officially gotten 4.0 aside from the initial buggy rollout until this past week. If the Galaxy S3/next nexus end up kicking ass, I can always sell this for close to what I bought it since they don't seem to be going for much anymore.

Join me copernicus! I know you're reading this.

liger05

My girl needs a new phone and have convinced her to move to android. Think I'm gonna go for the HTC one x next Friday.

What do people think of this phone? Super LCD compared to amoled?

Al-ibn Kermit

My girl needs a new phone and have convinced her to move to android. Think I'm gonna go for the HTC one x next Friday.

What do people think of this phone? Super LCD compared to amoled?

It's generally a great phone, it might be better to wait to see the Galaxy S3 reveal (whenever) to compare but there probably won't be any major differences.

If this is a first smartphone, maybe she doesn't need something so powerful.

tino

Banned
I looked in several forums and can't find such a thread.
It takes a few months to get used to xda.

Go to the subforum of that phone model, go to the Andrpid Development subsubforum. Read over the first 10-15 threads than you are ready to flash your phone.

They don't cater to noob so there is nothing you can do about it.

Gigglepoo

Thoughts on the Nexus S? Curious how it stacks up against an HTC-made phone (I current have an Evo Shift 4G). Power isn't nearly as important as usability.

Donos

Thoughts on the Nexus S? Curious how it stacks up against an HTC-made phone (I current have an Evo Shift 4G). Power isn't nearly as important as usability.

what htc phone? there are like 10000000 model variants from total crap to good. Nexus S is a pretty solid phone and it got strong support and fast updates.

JWong

Banned
Anyone know the keyboard where you just swipe to each letter without lifting off your finger and the predictive text does the magic?

nib95

Banned
Surely there's got to be more info on the S3 by now? Been waiting for soooo long lol. Just release it already and make sure it's awesome!

Donos

Evo Shift 4G

Ah, sorry for my poor reading comprehension. I don't know the Evo Shift 4g since it's a US phone but i think it is quite capeable. Nexus S has NFC chip the Evo Shift don't has but the nexus has no notification light/led. You also have to know if you want vanilla Android (Nexus S even got ICS update didn't it?) while the Evo has htc's Sense overlay and it maybe take ages till it gets ICS update (if ever).

So I'm approaching my internal memory limit. I currently have around 300 (total) apps and I take it I can't use the so-called USB memory correct? Will a microsd card help?

I don't know when was the SGSII first available (presumably in an European country) last year, but I get a feeling the SIII will come out around the same time. Samsung is just delaying the announcement.
April of last year. I remember because i wanted it so bad. They are totally delaying the launch. The 6 month gap between the EU and NA launched hurt them. It made their amazing phone less special to wait that long. The reveal will come when they can get the carriers demands in line and launch as close as possible in all regions.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So I'm approaching my internal memory limit. I currently have around 300 (total) apps and I take it I can't use the so-called USB memory correct? Will a microsd card help?
I'm brand new to Android and immediately noticed how few of the apps I've downloaded give the ability to move them out of internal storage. It just seems odd with so many different devices with varying memory specs, but then again what do I know?

SHAZOOM

I don't really know how american carriers work (and if its any different to AU), but you should be able to just swap the sims and voila!

If you use google backup and factory reset your wifes phone and then log in with your gmail, it should automatically restore all your apps too.

No sim card slot that I can see under the battery case. I'm relatively certain that factory resetting should give me the option to set my number on to my wife's phone.

Not really worried about Google backup, since I did a factory reset before on my Droid Inc and had pretty much most of the big stuff on my microSD card.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Shambles

Honestly, fuck this hacky work-around Android bullshit. I can't even update a Nexus S to 4.0.4 with the update straight from googles website. Not only did i have to run through rings to get to the point of downloading fastboot in order to make some progress but now it needs some USB drivers for the device which no one can fucking seem to get work. If you can't even figure how to make a god damn USB driver for your devices Google how in the hell do you expect us to trust an entire operating system to you.

-Waiting for the OTA update
Which is another fucking basic thing you still manage to screw up
:/

Had a play with the One X in CPW in London today, far nicer than i thought it would be. Feels light but not as light as my SG2, felt more solid though. The screen put my SG2s to shame, and the camera took some great photos, the ability to take pics while recording video was pretty neat as was the stereo sound while recording. The one I was messing around with had approx 25% batt left and had been used quite a bit, taking photos, BT and wifi on web browsing etc and was last put on charge around 22 hrs before I got my hands on it, dont think the battery for normal use will be an issue.

Ashhong

Nexus S to an EVO Shift is like comparing a Honda Fit to a NSX

Where the S is the NSX right?

Honestly, fuck this hacky work-around Android bullshit. I can't even update a Nexus S to 4.0.4 with the update straight from googles website. Not only did i have to run through rings to get to the point of downloading fastboot in order to make some progress but now it needs some USB drivers for the device which no one can fucking seem to get work. If you can't even figure how to make a god damn USB driver for your devices Google how in the hell do you expect us to trust an entire operating system to you.

-Waiting for the OTA update
Which is another fucking basic thing you still manage to screw up
:/

tmobile or ATT? The USB drivers will download if you use a newer version of the SDK I believe. Are you trying to use SDK 13?

alternade

Why is it taking so long for a good stable stock rom for the epic touch to come out? Don't we have all the drivers and 4.0 source code?

Donos

Had a play with the One X in CPW in London today, far nicer than i thought it would be. Feels light but not as light as my SG2, felt more solid though. The screen put my SG2s to shame, and the camera took some great photos, the ability to take pics while recording video was pretty neat as was the stereo sound while recording. The one I was messing around with had approx 25% batt left and had been used quite a bit, taking photos, BT and wifi on web browsing etc and was last put on charge around 22 hrs before I got my hands on it, dont think the battery for normal use will be an issue.
Impression on sense 4? They say it is toned down and not so bloated anymore. How fast is the camera release?

Lesiroth

Droid-GAF, I'm in need of your advice.
I was originally planning to get a Lumia 800/900 but the impossibility of finding any recent Windows Phone around here as well as the fact that my uncle just got me an Xperia S as a gift that I'll be getting around next week has postponed my foray into WP until Apollo phones are out. I'm currently using an Atrix and I'm pleased with it so far.

I'm honestly quite confused with what to do with it, it seems like an alright phone but there's nothing remarkable about it with the exception of the design, so do I:
- Keep it?
- Sell/Trade it for a Galaxy Nexus? (Or a Note? But it's kinda too big.. )
- Wait for the GS3/HTC One and then sell/trade for one?

I'm kinda leaning towards the Nexus option since it's already out, it's a Nexus, and the onscreen buttons are pretty alluring, but I don't really know if the other choices offer anything substantially better.

tino

Banned
April of last year. I remember because i wanted it so bad. They are totally delaying the launch. The 6 month gap between the EU and NA launched hurt them. It made their amazing phone less special to wait that long. The reveal will come when they can get the carriers demands in line and launch as close as possible in all regions.
Yeah but they want to release before the iPhone and not too behind from the One X, so I am guessing July the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom