• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoku88

There's someone with a Galaxy Note sitting in front of me on the tram.

First time seeing one. Looks like it has anti glare coating.

zoku88

Quick, berate him and tell him he is wrong and should feel ashamed.

Sorry, guys. I failed you. I asked him if he indeed had a Note and he said 'yes' and let me hold it and use it for a bit.

I forgot to deal him that he was an idiot for wanting a big phone... or any phone that isn't an iphone :(

Argyle

Why is it taking so long for a good stable stock rom for the epic touch to come out? Don't we have all the drivers and 4.0 source code?

It looks like Samsung is getting close. I've been running FC22 (just upgraded to FC24) and the leaked updates are coming at a pretty rapid pace.

There are still a few annoying bugs but it's very usable at this point already...

Switching to Android next week, my brother is giving me his Galaxy S. I'm done with iOS, can't even transfer 4 new songs without wiping off the whole music on the iPhone because new songs are on another computer as my old iTunes library. Let's hope Android can do better.

My brother was frequently complaining about his phone being slow, my guess is due to a lot of bloatware installed there. Any tutorials how I can wipe the phone and install a clean ROM of Android OS?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Switching to Android next week, my brother is giving me his Galaxy S. I'm done with iOS, can't even transfer 4 new songs without wiping off the whole music on the iPhone because new songs are on another computer as my old iTunes library. Let's hope Android can do better.

My brother was frequently complaining about his phone being slow, my guess is due to a lot of bloatware installed there. Any tutorials how I can wipe the phone and install a clean ROM of Android OS?

Use Google Music. Awesome, convenient service.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S:_Full_Update_Guide

can't you just set up the iPhone to not autosync and manually sunc the specific files in iTunes?

anyway, most Samsung phones are easy as hell to root/flash and relatively safe from bricking due to ODIN, so you should have fun with it.

can't you just set up the iPhone to not autosync and manually sunc the specific files in iTunes?

That is Step 2. "Sync selected artists/playlists/etc.", before that you need to do Step 1. "Sync Music", which immediately triggers "all music on X's iPhone will be deleted" message.

Thanks for info guys, I will play with Galaxy S next week.

MMaRsu

Banned
So I'm looking into rooting my phone, my GS2 GT-I9100 since I can't manually update it through USB because fucking Kies won't recognize the device for some reason.

What is the best way to backup EVERYTHING from my phone including phone contacts, text messages etc? Can I do that through Kies Air?

I really want ICS, but is something like THIS going to work on my phone? Would my sim card just keep working?

I'm fairly a noob with all this, and I don't want to break my phone if it's hard to because then I'd rather keep it on Android 2.3.4

Xzior

So I'm looking into rooting my phone, my GS2 GT-I9100 since I can't manually update it through USB because fucking Kies won't recognize the device for some reason.

What is the best way to backup EVERYTHING from my phone including phone contacts, text messages etc? Can I do that through Kies Air?

I really want ICS, but is something like THIS going to work on my phone? Would my sim card just keep working?

I'm fairly a noob with all this, and I don't want to break my phone if it's hard to because then I'd rather keep it on Android 2.3.4

From what I have read the offical ICS-rom has a lot of problems, I'm holding off until the next update.

JWong

Banned
How are you liking your Xperia S so far? How's the screen? Is it a keeper?

Haven't played around with it too much. Can't comment on functionality. Heck I didn't even put a wallpaper or ringtone in it yet.

Screen is great. I think I see better contrast, but haven't tested colours or anything. Viewing angles isn't good, but that's not something that bothers me on a phone.

I do like the look of it better than my Xperia Arc.

Lesiroth

Haven't played around with it too much. Can't comment on functionality. Heck I didn't even put a wallpaper or ringtone in it yet.

Screen is great. I think I see better contrast, but haven't tested colours or anything. Viewing angles isn't good, but that's not something that bothers me on a phone.

I do like the look of it better than my Xperia Arc.

I'm not bothered by viewing angles too, colors and contrast is where it's at for me. If it's good enough I think I'll be keeping mine.

Staab

How are you liking your Xperia S so far? How's the screen? Is it a keeper?
I have it since a week now:
The screen is amazing, had lots of people comment on it, it blows the competition away on that front imho.
The cpu/gpu works well, had no noticeable slowdowns and the browser zips along just fine.
Music plays well, the sound is much better than on my OG Droid.
Build is pretty robust and fits in the hand really well.
Camera is downright crazy good, very quick and takes very nice pictures.

Downsides are:
- No ICS yet (I don't mind it that much tbh, gingerbread is nice and the sony UI on top is pretty as well as being useful without feeling bloated)
- Battery isn't that great, it lasts roughly a day with average use; lots of the drain is coming from the screen but there is something odd with the background drain (will probably be fixed with ICS / updates)
- Hardware buttons for back, home and option are a bit fickle, I get the feeling they wanted to make them responsive to a more intense touch, but it ends up being unresponsive sometimes which is a bit annoying (shouldn't be an issue with ICS tho)

Accessories are good (HDMI cable for TVout etc.., headphones with FM antenna, charger is quite robust):
I like it.

Lesiroth

I have it since a week now:
The screen is amazing, had lots of people comment on it, it blows the competition away on that front imho.
The cpu/gpu works well, had no noticeable slowdowns and the browser zips along just fine.
Music plays well, the sound is much better than on my OG Droid.
Build is pretty robust and fits in the hand really well.
Camera is downright crazy good, very quick and takes very nice pictures.

Downsides are:
- No ICS yet (I don't mind it that much tbh, gingerbread is nice and the sony UI on top is pretty as well as being useful without feeling bloated)
- Battery isn't that great, it lasts roughly a day with average use; lots of the drain is coming from the screen but there is something odd with the background drain (will probably be fixed with ICS / updates)
- Hardware buttons for back, home and option are a bit fickle, I get the feeling they wanted to make them responsive to a more intense touch, but it ends up being unresponsive sometimes which is a bit annoying (shouldn't be an issue with ICS tho)

Accessories are good (HDMI cable for TVout etc.., headphones with FM antenna, charger is quite robust):
I like it.

Thanks, glad to hear the screen's great.
As far as I understand, the XS's chipset should be faster than the one in the Galaxy Nexus, no?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Xperia S is slippery. I had to get a clamshell case for mine

Staab said:
Downsides are:

Also, those of you with battery issues should update firmware to version .73. It fixes the battery issues, and makes the capacitive buttons much, much more responsive. It's worth the ROM flash.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1568611

JWong

Banned
Dang, the brightness tool widget only has two settings. When brightness is at 100%, it's TOOOOOOO bright.

Feels like looking into the Sun.

JWong

Banned
Hey guys, need help.

I don't think I ever got my 3G to work. It's unable to download some mobile network setting for Rogers. Since I bought it unlocked import, I'm not sure what the problem is.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Hey guys, need help.

I don't think I ever got my 3G to work. It's unable to download some mobile network setting for Rogers. Since I bought it unlocked import, I'm not sure what the problem is.

You need to manually put the correct APN settings into the mobile network section:

Settings -> wireless & networks -> mobile networks -> Access Point Names -> New APN

Put these settings in:

Name: Rogers
APN: internet.com
Username: wapuser1
Password: wap
MCC: 302
MNC: 72 (If that doesn't work try 720, its already filled in, leave it at what it is)

Leave the rest blank. Now you Data should be working

Here are the settings Multimedia Messaging

Name: Rogers MMS
APN: media.com
Username: media
Password: mda01
Server: 172.25.0.107
MMSC :http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 72 (If that doesn't work try 720, its already filled in, leave it at what it is)
APN Type: mms

Leave the rest blank. Now MMS should be working!

panda21

EDIT: i forgot i also had to put the ICS bootloader on my SGS2 before any ICS roms would run properly... no idea if you still need to do this or not.

if you have the international SGS2 I would say just put CM9 on it. you won't have any of the samsung apps anymore, but airdroid is better than kies anyway. your sim should just work
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/samsung-galaxy-s2

just go to the nightlies page and download the first one, then follow the instructions here:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II:_Full_Update_Guide

i think its pretty hard to actually break your phone, but you will probably void your warranty.

I've tried the official samsung ICS roms, and they are pretty buggy, worse than CM9. a lot of the other roms are just the samsung rom with an ugly skin made by people who don't really know what they are doing.

JWong

Banned
You need to manually put the correct APN settings into the mobile network section:

Settings -> wireless & networks -> mobile networks -> Access Point Names -> New APN

Put these settings in:

Sweet, thanks dude.

Working now. I was looking at APN, but didn't know what to put in or thought it was automatic.

Ashhong

Google will backup all of your contacts for you. I believe when you root your phone, it will completely format your internal memory (correct me if I'm wrong panda), so you will want to backup anything you want to keep, like music or pictures that you've taken.

Before you do that, you want to backup all of your texts. I use Go SMS to text and that has a built in backup service. I recommend that over other apps. After you do that, copy your internal memory into your computer, then follow what panda said. Your contacts/pictures/texts/apps should be available to you after you're done.

tino

Banned
Google will backup all of your contacts for you. I believe when you root your phone, it will completely format your internal memory (correct me if I'm wrong panda), so you will want to backup anything you want to keep, like music or pictures that you've taken.

Before you do that, you want to backup all of your texts. I use Go SMS to text and that has a built in backup service. I recommend that over other apps. After you do that, copy your internal memory into your computer, then follow what panda said. Your contacts/pictures/texts/apps should be available to you after you're done.
In order to backup and restore 3Rd party everything you still need Titanium Backup.

Nekrono

Is the Market down? Page won't open for me and on my phone I do get in but every time I try to download an app I get error -101.

Nevermind, it's working now.

Oozer3993

Is the Market down? Page won't open for me and on my phone I do get in but every time I try to download an app I get error -101.

Nevermind, it's working now.

The Market is definitely working. Better than ever some would say.

JUmFz.png

Ashhong

In order to backup and restore 3Rd party everything you still need Titanium Backup.

What do you mean? I didn't mean to backup the root directory. He can still backup the "sdcard" contents such as downloads and pictures without Titanium. And Google should restore his apps automatically after he updates.

jokkir

[URL=" Grid[/b][/URL]

[URL=" Rain[/b][/URL]

Love them. Too bad my launcher lags when scrolling to a new screen. Damn you, ICS!

Anyone got more?

EDIT - And on the topic of live wallpapers, how much battery does it drain? The ones that react to touch specifically.

saunderez

Does anyone know any good live wallpapers? All the ones I found on the market are kind of... meh.

I'm a massive fan of Multipicture Live Wallpaper. It doesn't do anything special, just lets you have different wallpapers for each home screen with purty transitions. It's great for tablets.

Circle T

Love them. Too bad my launcher lags when scrolling to a new screen. Damn you, ICS!

Anyone got more?

EDIT - And on the topic of live wallpapers, how much battery does it drain? The ones that react to touch specifically.

Quite a bit. I never did any before and after tests back when I used them, but I would estimate that its in the range of 15-20%. It isn't terrible, like 50% or anything, but you will take a hit.

alternade

So I just installed cm9 on my epic touch and I hate it. ICS is doing nothing I want it to. I don't want my desktop bookmarks on my phone, the music player is terrible and shamefully slow for a native player. Glady going back to touchwiz and gingerbread.

jokkir

So I just installed cm9 on my epic touch and I hate it. ICS is doing nothing I want it to. I don't want my desktop bookmarks on my phone, the music player is terrible and shamefully slow for a native player. Glady going back to touchwiz and gingerbread.

Turn off browser syncing, pretty sure that's the CM9 music player you're using and remember that CM9 is still in Alpha.

I'm on a Nexus S using stock 4.0.4 and have had no problems so far. A lot better than gingerbread for sure though

tokkun

Some of the data sharing between desktop and mobile browser is pretty handy. When I look up locations on Google Maps on my PC, they are automatically available on my phone. So for example, the locations of the hotel and restaurants I'd been looking at for an upcoming trip started showing up on my phone without me having to do anything.

JWong

Banned
Hmm even when I load my account with all the apps I purchased onto my phone, Google Play won't show those apps in the My App section.

Edit: Ugh nevermind, I had some other account on it as well.

tino

Banned
What do you mean? I didn't mean to backup the root directory. He can still backup the "sdcard" contents such as downloads and pictures without Titanium. And Google should restore his apps automatically after he updates.

I mean third party apps that has alot of local settings/content such as podcast app or a map app, or web forum app has store your login info locally, or a 3rd party browser and stuff like that.

Browser is a good example. I used Dolphin mini so google wouldn't be able to restore my bookmark and settings for me. It's a huge pain in the ass to set everything back to my personal preference.

tino

Banned
What the f?

I can't uninstall facebook from my phone?

Use Titanium backup, "convert" it to a user app, then you can uninstall it. Uninstall most of the carrier crap while you are on it.\

Does anyone know any good live wallpapers? All the ones I found on the market are kind of... meh.

I use flickrLive! Pro, it downloads photos from flickr for me. I usually set the download keywords to a highend lens and it downloads really nice random photos. For example, "85mm bikini studio light" always works.

liger05

Reading reviews of the one x and one s I gotta say it looks like HTC have delivered. Why no micro SD slot? I really hope this isn't going to be the norm for android phones. 32gb storage is nice but I still want the option to expand.

Zeppu

Reading reviews of the one x and one s I gotta say it looks like HTC have delivered. Why no micro SD slot? I really hope this isn't going to be the norm for android phones. 32gb storage is nice but I still want the option to expand.

Just finished reading both the X's and S's reviews and I am really glad that HTC seems to be back on track. They've been irrelevant since the original Desire IMO with their generic bland designs. I love the way both phones look now, it's really a shame about the hardware buttons and Sense's inconsistencies.

It also sucks that the One X doesn't have the sexy micro arc oxidation for their aluminium body which the One S had, but I'm seriously glad that they've come back into the game.

Has anyone managed to bring a water damaged GS2 back from the dead? I dropped it mid-flush last night and got it before it went all the way in. Took it apart, got rid of any water and left it to dry for 6 hours. Booted it up, pattern unlock worked ok but then I couldn't do anything on the homescreen. Packed in rice overnight, tried it this morning and it wouldn't even boot up, am I going to have to fork out for an expensive repair?

ICS handles storage differently than previous versions of Android did. Google didn't put a microSD slot on the Galaxy Nexus for the same reason.

So I'm going to go for either the HTC One S or X depending on how much T-mobile offer me money off on my contract renewal on Thursday.

The real question is Pentile. Is it really that horrific and will make me stab my own eyeballs out in the two years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom