• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

t1339434000z4.png

goI1R.png

What is WWDC?
The Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) gives developers an in-depth look at the latest in iOS and OS X. You can learn and be inspired by more than 100 sessions led by Apple engineers, get help from Apple experts through an extensive set of hands-on labs, and connect with fellow developers from around the world, giving you the opportunity to create your best apps ever.

Who is eligible to attend WWDC?
You must be a paid member of the iOS Developer Program, iOS Developer Enterprise Program, or Mac Developer Program, 13 years of age or older.

When is WWDC 2012?
WWDC 2012 takes place June 11-15, 2012. On-site registration will begin Sunday, June 10 at 9:00 AM.

Where is WWDC 2012 being held?
WWDC 2012 is held at Moscone West in San Francisco, CA.

https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

LCfiner

semi-interesting to note that the invitation does not "favor" iOS as it has in the past few years.

predictions:

iOS 6 announcement

10.8 release date, first public feature rundown

zynga and epic dudes on stage

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
predictions:

iOS 6 announcement

10.8 release date, first public feature rundown

zynga and epic dudes on stage

Add "AppleTV Developer Program announcement" as a longshot. OH YEAH!!!!

twofold

Might we see new Macbooks at this event? Ivy Bridge chips are rolling out now - surely new Macbooks can't be far away.

iOS 6 and new MacBooks will probably get their own separate event. I thought WWDC no longer had a keynote.

EDIT: Never mind, they still have a keynote. It's just that WWDC is no longer tied to iPhone hardware announcements. Now I'm excited, retina MacBooks for everyone! :-D

LCfiner

Might we see new Macbooks at this event? Ivy Bridge chips are rolling out now - surely new Macbooks can't be far away.

yeah, possibly. Apple may choose to push out the new Ivy Bridge stuff a bit earlier and focus on software on stage. or maybe, if the design change is different enough, they'll do the reveal at the keynote.

either way, like you said, we're due for the Mac updates.

edit:

iOS 6 and new MacBooks will probably get their own separate event. I thought WWDC no longer had a keynote.

you're mistaken. WWDC still has a keynote. and last year, the iOS event never happened. iOS 5 was revealed at WWDC. looks like this year is the same thing, as previous iOS events had been in April. Apple has shifted their schedule.

Ok, ok, the square shapes in the logo either mean a brand new colored home button for the new iPhone (which will inevitably see a release at this conference) or a brand new squareish form factor for the iPad 4 which will obviously be released in October! Either that or the pixels in the apple tv set will be so large that you can easily make them out at a 6ft viewing distance.

RubxQub

This will be Apple's first epic presentation post-Jobs.

TCooks will take the stage:

"Ladies and gentleman...it's a great honor to serve as the CEO of such a wonderful and innovative company. Since it's creation, we've launched some revolutionary operating systems that have delighted our customers across many platforms. A company is fortunate to launch even one solid operating system, and here at Apple, we're fortunate enough to have launched two. In 2001, we launched OS X. It was a dramatic improvement of the desktop operating system experience and completely changed the way we interacted with our computers. Then, in 2007, we launched our first post-PC operating system in iOS with the iPhone. In only 5 years since it's launch, post-PC devices and experiences represent well over half of our business to date. It is simple. It is elegant. It is the best user experience on the market by far.

Today, we're announcing TWO new operating systems of this caliber.

The first, is a brand new mobile operating system that replaces iOS on our post-PC devices.

*wild applause*

The second, is an entirely new spin on the PC experience for our desktop class systems.

*mildly less applause*

A new mobile OS. A new desktop OS....

A new mobile OS. A new desktop OS....

Are you getting it people?! This is NOT two new operating systems. This is a single operating system called iOSX!"

Ok, ok, the square shapes in the logo either mean a brand new colored home button for the new iPhone (which will inevitably see a release at this conference) or a brand new squareish form factor for the iPad 4 which will obviously be released in October! Either that or the pixels in the apple tv set will be so large that you can easily make them out at a 6ft viewing distance.

no that square shape is the outer layout for the icons for all the apps on the app store

noah111

Still Alive
I doubt an iOS 6 announcement, tbh. New elements or features? Sure, but not a whole labeling "iOS 6". Perhaps a new Maps app or other things, but I kind of doubt a full fledged thing (like iOS 5).

For the love of god update that Mac Pro. Or give us something between an iMac and Pro.

Fully aware neither of these things will happen

Looking forward to iOS6

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Crossing my fingers for an Apple-made navigation app. Buying my first iPhone when the 5 comes out and love Google Navigation on my Droid X.

LCfiner

I doubt an iOS 6 announcement, tbh. New elements or features? Sure, but not a whole labeling "iOS 6". Perhaps a new Maps app or other things, but I kind of doubt a full fledged thing (like iOS 5).

I'm not sure why you doubt it. Apple is going to be making a new OS revision every year for a while to come.

Heck, they just announced new major Mac OS revisions are coming every year. iOS revisions aren't going to slow down as that market is even more heated.

An iOS 6 announcement is virtually guaranteed. iPhone or other hardware announcements are very unlikely but still possible however.

Feels like just yesterday I was waiting for iOS 5 to fix that god-awful Notification system.

..and here I am today waiting for iOS 6 to fix that god-awful Notification system.

RubxQub

Feels like just yesterday I was waiting for iOS 5 to fix that god-awful Notification system.

..and here I am today waiting for iOS 6 to fix that god-awful Notification system.

It's pretty funny. Notification Center is really shitty...it's just less shitty than the old notification system where everything was an alert pop-up.

At least now I can more readily define how and when I get alerted, but the number of times I go up into the notification tray and interact with things? Never. Ever.

RubxQub

Notification Center is fine. A few tweaks is all it needs.

I submit that it sucks, good sir!

No clue what they could do to improve it, admittedly...but the actual notification try that you can pulldown from the top of the screen has been completely useless to me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't want most or almost any apps shouting at me for attention. I don't even like badge icons on most apps with alerts because my minor-OCD wants me to clear everything.

Only allow alerts for my board game apps, and those I click the banner immediately...take my turn and jump out.

Bah-humbug!

Tobor

I submit that it sucks, good sir!

No clue what they could do to improve it, admittedly...but the actual notification try that you can pulldown from the top of the screen has been completely useless to me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't want most or almost any apps shouting at me for attention. I don't even like badge icons on most apps with alerts because my minor-OCD wants me to clear everything.

Only allow alerts for my board game apps, and those I click the banner immediately...take my turn and jump out.

Bah-humbug!

I don't understand your complaint. Turn off the ones you don't want?

RubxQub

I don't understand your complaint. Turn off the ones you don't want?

Micromanaging notifications all the time is blah. You're right, its entirely within my control to enable/disable what I do and don't want to see. I guess I'm saying that a more perfect system would auto-opt out of all this and people could manually opt in if they wanted to.

Lame that everytime I open a new app it's like "I WANT TO SPAM YOU, IS THAT COOL?!" and I have to say no....even if I want to say "yes, but not the way you're going to set yourself up to if I say yes" and muck with things in settings later.

1st world problems, man.

LCfiner

here's my beefs with notification center.

1. there should be a little icon in the menu bar when a notification comes in and you have not yet opened NC. (look at the icon in 10.8 menu bar as reference).

2. there needs to be a "clear all" button in the NC.

3. the individual "X" buttons need to have a bigger hit target around them. and/or add a "swipe to delete" shortcut for all messages from an app.

4. an option in NC settings to opt out of all notifications from all apps, just to appease Rub :p

that's about it from my POV. NC works well for me. there are some implementation fixes to make but the main functionality is OK.

Tobor

here's my beefs with notification center.

1. there should be a little icon in the menu bar when a notification comes in and you have not yet opened NC. (look at the icon in 10.8 menu bar as reference).

2. there needs to be a "clear all" button in the NC.

3. the individual "X" buttons need to have a bigger hit target around them. and/or add a "swipe to delete" shortcut for all messages from an app.

4. an option in NC settings to opt out of all notifications from all apps, just to appease Rub :p

that's about it from my POV. NC works well for me. there are some implementation fixes to make but the main functionality is OK.

I consider all those tweaks, like I said earlier.

RubxQub

ScreenShot2012-04-25at103718AM.png

...sold out before people on the west coast even woke up :lol

LCfiner

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/Rubxqub/ScreenShot2012-04-25at103718AM.png[MG]

...[B]sold out before people on the west coast even woke up[/B] :lol[/QUOTE]

damn, that's true. didn't even think about that.

Apple's gonna have to change [I]something [/I]about WWDC in the next few years. maybe expand it or have more than one event a year, to accommodate all the people who want to get in.

they probably can't expand a single event very much since there's a limit to the number of Apple engineers around to give talks and such. maybe a second event.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sold out in two hours

A little over four weeks -> a little over a week -> about 12 hours -> about 2 hours.

It doesn't take a genius to suggest that they might need to rethink the scope of the event to address what is clearly a pretty bad access problem. Either more sessions, run a west-coast and an east-coast event parallel or staggered, move to a lottery system for tickets, bigger venue, I dunno.

numble

damn, that's true. didn't even think about that.

Apple's gonna have to change something about WWDC in the next few years. maybe expand it or have more than one event a year, to accommodate all the people who want to get in.

they probably can't expand a single event very much since there's a limit to the number of Apple engineers around to give talks and such. maybe a second event.
When they build their new HQ they'll host WWDC there with a larger and free space. There also is the ability to host tiny focused conferences throughout the year. Easier on the engineers too, since they don't need to do any extra traveling.

I also think Apple is going to have more regional headquarters in other countries in the future, like how that Anobit purchase is going to be an Israel-based R&D center. Microsoft and Google have these huge research offices in China, and I don't think Apple has anything much outside of a retail presence. I think Cook's recent trip there was to lay the groundwork for such an office/campus.

noah111

Still Alive
Notification Center is fine. A few tweaks is all it needs.
Pretty much. It just needs some additives, but it's generally good enough as-is. More widgets like the weather/stocks ones would be welcomes, such as a settings type of widget that gives you toggle accesses.

But what I really want, although I know it'll never happen, is to just get rid of the home screen entirely. It's very annoying to tap the home button and get pushed to the springboard, then open the app you want, and have it zoom in/load up. Why the whole separate screen? Why not just have it as a blurred overlay similar to the launchpad in OS X? It would be so much faster, and limit my switcher use, even.

How many times have you opened up the switcher to open an app and find that it isn't there, then have to get out and back to the home screen/springboard, then open the app you were looking for. It'd be much simpler if the home screen worked like the switcher, in that it can pop up anywhere, very quickly, without that whole push/pull in and out UI that makes the whole process feel slow.

Retina iPod classic.
youregoodyou-analyzetagujn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom