• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

noah111

Still Alive
Take that $1000 bet.
I'm not that confident... it just feels like a whole number incremental jump is a bit much. I can't see what changes they could bring on the level of iOS 5 (in terms of added features) that could justify it.

I see enchantements, tweaks, and revisions more-so than completely new features. I may be wrong, but it feels as if iOS 5 just came out and I don't see the need for them to push out a huge update anytime soon.

It'll be interesting to watch regardless.

numble

I'm not that confident... it just feels like a whole number incremental jump is a bit much. I can't see what changes they could bring on the level of iOS 5 (in terms of added features) that could justify it.

I see enchantements, tweaks, and revisions more-so than completely new features. I may be wrong, but it feels as if iOS 5 just came out and I don't see the need for them to push out a huge update anytime soon.

They just publicly committed to iterate faster on OS X with yearly updates.
They aren't going to iterate slower on iOS.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can't believe people are betting against iOS 6 showing up.

I'll offer a $10k bet.

Tobor

Most of us think an overhaul to maps and navigation is coming. That's certainly worthy of a whole number.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Can't believe people are betting against iOS 6 showing up.

I'll offer a $10k bet.

That a new iOS shows up or that it's specifically called iOS 6?

Apple is going to ditch versioning all together across all product lines and simply call it "the new iOS" and laugh at all of us as we freak out.
No they won't

LCfiner

Most of us think an overhaul to maps and navigation is coming. That's certainly worthy of a whole number.

yup. I mean, pretty much every version has only had a couple really big features and then a bunch of smaller ones.

if iOS 6 is all about maps, adds maybe one or two other user centric features (music library management, pls thx) and then some tweaks, then it'd be about on par for the other releases. (iOS 5 may be the exception since the work on making it more PC-free was a greater shift in scope for the OS)

RubxQub

They should go with cute nicknames for all the new versions like the competitors do and they do for their desktop OS.

Go with nicknames for money:

iOS Benjamins
iOS Fat Stacks
iOS Fort Knox
iOS Cheddar
etc.

LCfiner

Siri out of beta and/or Siri apis made available to developers should be an easy prediction. Nobody cares about Siri?

I'd settle just for directions and restaurant/ business searches in Canada. I think US is still the only country that has these functions available

I'd be very surprised if any Siri APIs are ready for iOS 6. it'd be nice, though. Siri and omnifocus would be sweet. or siri and ebay...

"ebay, buy all Mamma's Family VHS tapes in condition 'very good' or better, from listings ending in the next 12 hours"

or integrate siri with games

"Draw Something, please draw a bear"

SuperPac

Can't wait to see the new iPod Touch as my current Gen 4 has a broken screen. 4" screen, 1GB of ram, and dual core please.

You mean later in the fall, right? The only hardware I ever remember being unveiled at WWDC are iPhones, and those are now fall introductions. iPod touches were usually at the fall music events.

RubxQub

If it's ok with everyone, I'd like to do the official wwdc topic again this year. Already started working on it :p

Sorry, already have exclusive Apple-Thread rights. You need to pay me a royalty to open any and all Apple official threads going forward, as authorized by the NeoGAF Gods on High.

All yours, at least from my POV

noah111

Still Alive
Really?? Nope.

Siri out of beta and compatible with older devices? Now we're can start talking.
no pun

iOS 6 won't show up, what are you people thinking?

"new" iOS will though. Numbers are passé now.
:lol I'm betting on this as well.
.. but not really

celebi23

Sorry, already have exclusive Apple-Thread rights. You need to pay me a royalty to open any and all Apple official threads going forward, as authorized by the NeoGAF Gods on High.

All yours, at least from my POV
Thanks!

t1339434000z4.png
How'd you get that countdown setup? That'd be a nice addition to my topic :p

Who is eligible to attend WWDC?
You must be a paid member of the iOS Developer Program, iOS Developer Enterprise Program, or Mac Developer Program, 13 years of age or older.

Have they lowered the entry age barrier, or it has always been like that? Seems weird that they'd let teenagers there.

SuperPac

I would be they call it iOS 6 (no one really refers to iOS versions but developers, so it doesn't need the "new iOS"-type moniker which they seem to use for consumer-facing products). Or they'll assign some name to it if not a numeral.

I'd be shocked if Siri APIs aren't part of it.

Wonder if they'll roll in development for the Apple TV?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So this will all be about iOS 6 I assume?

I take it they'll do a separate show later on for the iPhone if they are going to space out the releases between the iPad and iPhone by like 6 months from each other. I do wonder how amazing the iPhone announcement will be outside of hardware though if iOS6 has already been shown at WWDC.

So this will all be about iOS 6 I assume?

I take it they'll do a separate show later on for the iPhone if they are going to space out the releases between the iPad and iPhone by like 6 months from each other. I do wonder how amazing the iPhone announcement will be outside of hardware though if iOS6 has already been shown at WWDC.

Probably similar to last year, iOS 6, 10.8 + Something else

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why in the world did they move away from June releases? So god damn stupid..

To space out their product cycle with the iPad being launched. The current cycle gives them roughly 6 months pre/post each launch from/till the previous/next launch.

LCfiner

I hope they make iOS less boring and the Apple apps less ugly.

keep fucking that chicken.

ok, I kid a little. I actually agree with you about the latest Apple iOS apps being kinda ugly with all the leather and stitches and whatnot. I feel they had it right with the plain, low-chrome look of the original iPhone apps

noah111

Still Alive
Some of the stock Apple app icons haven't been updated since 2007 with the release of the original iPhone, save for retina resolution bumps.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Some of the stock Apple app icons haven't been updated since 2007 with the release of the original iPhone, save for retina resolution bumps.

...so? Has something happened in the last five years that's made the messages app icon inadequate?

RubxQub

They don't need to hold a developer conference to release hardware. What is going on in here?

We're saying irrational things to try and conjure you back to existence! I miss my daily does of Pie these days in Apple threads :(

Cheebo

Banned
They don't need to hold a developer conference to release hardware. What is going on in here?

They have revealed new Mac hardware in the past at WWDC I believe. And we basically know that we are getting new Mac Hardware in the summer.

Basically it goes like this

We are 100% guarenteed to have iOS 6 shown off.
We are 100% guarenteed to have Mountain Lion further demo'ed and a release date given.
We are very likely to see new Mac Hardware
There is little to no chance in hell we are seeing a new iPhone.

keep fucking that chicken.

ok, I kid a little. I actually agree with you about the latest Apple iOS apps being kinda ugly with all the leather and stitches and whatnot. I feel they had it right with the plain, low-chrome look of the original iPhone apps

I'm not really sure which app from the iPad conference almost made me throw up, but I think it was iMovies.

I can agree with this although "less boring" isn't the way I'd put it.

I just can't think of anything in iOS that is visually attractive and makes me think "hey, that's nice". At least not from a visual standpoint. It's just functional and there, in the same way Windows on the desktop is.

noah111

Still Alive
...so? Has something happened in the last five years that's made the messages app icon inadequate?
I don't like how similar and yet plain the phone and sms icons look, as well as the diagonal lines that go through them. Apple was smart enough to remove those lines when they turned the iPod icon into 'Music'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom