• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Small startups shouldn't have to worry about servers and security and etc.

Apple already provides a push API for VoIP apps, if they opened that up to all apps everyone would benefit.
I may be wrong (I just glanced at the iOS SDK just now so I don't think I'm wrong), but I'm sure Apple does not provide a push API for VoIP apps. They provide an API for the app to keep running in the background and listen for calls. They should only allow that for limited use cases--keeping Sparrow running and listening for e-mails (and then sending local notifications) is more battery-intensive than receiving push notifications over the air once in a while when e-mails are received. Otherwise apps will be using it to run in the background for something silly and battery-draining like Twitter, IRC or instant messaging, or even if you happen to open multiple e-mail apps.

I may be wrong (I just glanced at the iOS SDK just now so I don't think I'm wrong), but I'm sure Apple does not provide a push API for VoIP apps. They provide an API for the app to keep running in the background and listen for calls. They should only allow that for limited use cases--keeping Sparrow running and listening for e-mails (and then sending local notifications) is more battery-intensive than receiving push notifications over the air once in a while when e-mails are received. Otherwise apps will be using it to run in the background for something silly and battery-draining like Twitter, IRC or instant messaging, or even if you happen to open multiple e-mail apps.
I admit that I'm not wildly familiar with iOS development, so here's what Sparrow says:

However, Apple provides an API that allows an app to be woken up in case of a network event meaning it is virtually connected at all times like Sparrow on the Mac. For example, VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) apps take advantages of this specific API so you can receive calls even when the app isn't opened.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong or he didn't explain everything, but it doesn't seem the app is open in the background.

kaskade

I'm hoping for a redesigned Macbook. My Mid 2009 pro is starting to show it's age in some spots. I'll probably hand it down to my parents.

xQTD8.png

giga

I admit that I'm not wildly familiar with iOS development, so here's what Sparrow says:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong or he didn't explain everything, but it doesn't seem the app is open in the background.
It's not. The VoIP background task doesn't keep the app open. It just monitors the app's sockets for incoming calls. Something like that could be implemented for email clients.

numble

It's not. The VoIP background task doesn't keep the app open. It just monitors the app's sockets for incoming calls. Something like that could be implemented for email clients.
The app is waken up when the sockets are opened though, and a background task is performed. It still is more battery-intensive than push, especially if opened to all apps. It's nothing like a VoIP Push API like some sites are claiming.

giga

The app is waken up when the sockets are opened though, and a background task is performed. It still is more battery-intensive than push, especially if opened to all apps. It's nothing like a VoIP Push API like some sites are claiming.
That's true, but the Sparrow devs showed some interesting caveats about push email regarding security. I don't know if it would be the best option for a small startup, regardless of its efficiency over the VoIP implementation.

numble

That's true, but the Sparrow devs showed some interesting caveats about push email regarding security. I don't know if it would be the best option for a small startup, regardless of its efficiency over the VoIP implementation.
I also don't think they're going out of their way to allow email apps to have a background task running alongside their own email background task (where normal push, which is less battery-draining than a constant socket monitor, already is a cause for a lot of battery drain). It seems like a perfect item where Apple wants devs to use push for less battery drain, and has no intention of giving a leg up to competitors to their own email app.

giga

I also don't think they're going out of their way to allow email apps to have a background task running alongside their own email background task (where normal push, which is less battery-draining than a constant socket monitor, already is a cause for a lot of battery drain). It seems like a perfect item where Apple wants devs to use push for less battery drain, and has no intention of giving a leg up to competitors to their own email app.
Setting default applications is actually on my wish list.

Utako

Banned
iOS needs huge changes. It's Frankenstein's monster.

In lieu of that, iOS 6 at least needs to fix this:

* Shit-shit multitasking (how is Apple the only company to get the UI wrong on this?)

* No universal access to common settings (again, only Apple is failing)

* Maps experience is miserable compared to Android

* Siri does far less now than when it was a 3rd party app that ran on all iOS devices

* Siri is usable on a reliable WiFi connection, and in virtually no other circumstance

Phoenix

I'm going to continue putting my bet that iOS6 and the new iPhone will finally include NFC. This market is FINALLY growing fairly quickly and Apple can't keep ignoring it. Hell they have a shitload of patents on the technology at this point so they might as well deploy.

Phoenix

* Shit-shit multitasking (how is Apple the only company to get the UI wrong on this?)

* Siri does far less now than when it was a 3rd party app that ran on all iOS devices

* Siri is usable on a reliable WiFi connection, and in virtually no other circumstance

I will agree with this point. Right now Ice Creme Sandwich is surpassing iOS in a LOT of ways. Apple ignores badly needed changes to the platform at their own peril.

Windows Phone?

Blackhead

Redarse
On the contrary, it needs almost no changes. They're going to continue selling like hot cakes regardless.. they don't need to make drastic changes right now; no one is asking for it.

The iPhone 3GS still sells like hot cakes. Clearly they don't need to make any more changes.
Windows XP sold like hotcakes. Clearly Microsoft didn't need to make any changes to IE6.

By the way, Apple doesn't make what people are asking for. Apple makes what people don't know they want yet.

noah111

Still Alive
The iPhone 3GS still sells like hot cakes. Clearly they don't need to make any more changes.
Windows XP sold like hotcakes. Clearly Microsoft didn't need to make any changes to IE6.

By the way, Apple doesn't make what people are asking for. Apple makes what people don't know they want yet.
Har har. My point was it doesn't need HUGE changes as Utako was indicating; there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

In fact, making too many changes could be a downside to those who have just begun getting accustomed to iOS 5.

I'm guessing the changes they bring will be generally safe bets, nothing that drastically changes the way people use their devices now.

Phoenix

Har har. My point was it doesn't need HUGE changes as Utako was indicating; there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

In fact, making too many changes could be a downside to those who have just begun getting accustomed to iOS 5.

I'm guessing the changes they bring will be generally safe bets, nothing that drastically changes the way people use their devices now.

Safe bets are what kill ecosystems. If you are catering to keep your users comfortable, someone is going to disrupt the shit outta you because they don't have that constraint. Seen it happen in the space far too many times with PalmOS, RIM, Window CE, Nokia Series 60, etc. When the tipping point happens, and it always does, you can never recover because the core concepts of what disrupted the shit outta you doesn't exist in your platform because you didn't want to take people from their comfort zone. Apple is dangerously dangerously close to being in that boat. As a developer for iOS and Android I would definitely say the Galaxy Tab 2 7" is a better platform for innovation than iOS. Its just overly complicated for the average user which is a huge detriment.

Wasn't the rumor mill for iOS 5 spinning wildly around this time last year? We've heard nothing this year outside of a revamped app store.

haha people still write about Apple as if they know how to run Apple better than Apple.
The dumbfuck Apple user in me is probably happy with iOS, it's the tech enthusiast in me that screams for more.

Wasn't the rumor mill for iOS 5 spinning wildly around this time last year? We've heard nothing this year outside of a revamped app store.
And what a disappointment iOS 5 turned out to be. I said keep it low profile, so no one will notice when Apple passed another x.5 release as major update.

The dumbfuck Apple user in me is probably happy with iOS, it's the tech enthusiast in me that screams for more.

And what a disappointment iOS 5 turned out to be. I said keep it low profile, so no one will notice when Apple passed another x.5 release as major update.

Why the inflammatory remarks? You're better than that.

Look who's talking. :lol

I'll do better next time. Promised. <3
lol

For what it's worth, I agree that iOS needs a sort of visual makeover or refinement.

It is rather garish looking in a lot of areas --- especially compared to the extreme asceticism of Metro, which of course must be much to your chagrin switching from WP to iPad everyday.

Other than that, I just want more features that allow developers to make better and more functional apps (connectivity between apps, Siri access, background processing, Gatekeeper, etc). Also, widgets/live icons/whatever and a much improved stock Maps app.

numble

Safe bets are what kill ecosystems. If you are catering to keep your users comfortable, someone is going to disrupt the shit outta you because they don't have that constraint. Seen it happen in the space far too many times with PalmOS, RIM, Window CE, Nokia Series 60, etc. When the tipping point happens, and it always does, you can never recover because the core concepts of what disrupted the shit outta you doesn't exist in your platform because you didn't want to take people from their comfort zone. Apple is dangerously dangerously close to being in that boat. As a developer for iOS and Android I would definitely say the Galaxy Tab 2 7" is a better platform for innovation than iOS. Its just overly complicated for the average user which is a huge detriment.

Apple should take people away from their comfort zone, but the better for innovation Galaxy Tab 2 7" has a huge detriment in being overly complicated (and thus uncomfortable) for the average user?

Where do you see Apple being dangerously dangerously close to being disrupted into a killed ecosystem? The ecosystem is more than just what APIs they give to developers and the OS. Retail Apple Stores, AppleCare, Intrinsity, Anobit and Jony Ive's team are part of it. Heck, even Epic Games is part of it by releasing exclusive games.

Jimrpg

what time was this announced?? I didn't even get a chance.... Im in Australia, was there any notice before hand? :(

Hmm what's the over under on new Macbook Airs being announced/released around then? It's time right?

If WWDC will have iOS6, then I wouldn't hang my hat on it also having hardware shown. Especially if Apple is actually going to make their laptops have retina displays, thats something they would want to have as a seperate event, and not compete against iOS6 with.

I want to put my iMac on Craigslist before they announce new ones so I can get maximum return. Is WWDC a lock for the announcement of new iMacs? And do you think they'll have them available to buy same day as announcement? Trying to time this perfectly.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm sure Steve Ballmer said the same about Windows Mobile at some point.

"I works fine"
"It does this and this well"
"Users don't really want that"
"We'll continue to innovate"
Yeah, except Ballmer didn't have 300+ million Windows OS devices in circulation, did he? Apple can't be put under the same rules that other companies are forced to go by, any more.

Yeah, except Ballmer didn't have 300+ million Windows OS devices in circulation, did he? Apple can't be put under the same rules that other companies are forced to go by, any more.

Alright, let me put it this way.

"Anyone who thinks iOS is innovative is wrong. The end."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom