• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

One thing I dislike about iOS is the 5 finger gestures. So unnatural and weird. They're useful in functionality but not in implementation.

I actually like those a lot. The gesturing system of iOS isn't as good as that on the Playbook, but its actually intuitive after a few minutes of use.

Phoenix

The military is actually heavily leaning on iPad currently. The Air Force recently bought a shitton of iPads for in the field usage.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/3/2769455/us-government-military-android-adoption
http://phandroid.com/2012/04/13/boe...ndsets-for-us-government-and-defense-sectors/
http://www.inquisitr.com/190441/android-smartphones-and-tablets-coming-to-us-government-military/

Cancellations

http://www.investorplace.com/2012/0...cancels-ipad-procurement-plan-aapl-rimm-dell/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...h-ipad-order/2012/02/23/gIQAOCxMWR_story.html

So the shit ton has become a pile of shit

Oh and mobile payment? You mean the industry currently dominated by Square? That is on iOS.

The industry is dominated by Verifone, Visa, ISIS and Paypal. Square is a multi platform (it is on Android as well) dongle that address the small business wallet space, covers a small fraction of THAT space and is a transaction provider only.

NFC deployments for mobile payments at scale are already on the streets in major cities around the globe with rollouts starting here in the states already. None of these can currently be used with an iOS device:

http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/view/9105
(met these guys yesterday)

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ds-NFC-Mobile-Payments-Ottawa’s-Parking

http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/...go-tests-mobile-payments-in-san-francisco.php

http://www.nfcworld.com/2011/11/11/311273/coca-cola-tests-nfc-vending/

http://www.nfcworld.com/2012/04/24/315260/mcdonalds-to-test-cloud-based-nfc-payments-in-austria/

Please - if you don't know this market, don't have this conversation.

numble

Sure. Point me to anybody major you know that is JUST writing iOS applications. Everybody in the mobile space has to support both just like everyone in the web space has to support WebKit and IE. Those that have to support both, those that have to develop for TV platforms (and that audience is growing), those that are in the mobile payments space (they can ONLY develop for Android today), those that are developing military applications (that is being pushed to Android because the govt wants an open source solution), those that are developing applications that run within vehicles (there is no iOS in that space), those that are building retail and kiosk applications at scale (the major agencies are shifting based upon cost). That's your audience that is on the verge.

They guys you're talking about that are small 1 man shops, that are putting out an app every so often, or that are not using a cross platform tool to build with and only have iOS talent (because getting mobile development talent is absurdly difficult AND expensive right now) - those folks are sticking with iOS for a long time right now.
Building on both ecosystems is not an indication that the iOS ecosystem is dying. But I'd say plenty of devs are basically making their tablet apps iOS exclusive.

Are you aware of the mechanics for getting approval for moving through the China Telecom infrastructure? Its not like the US. You don;t just host a service and it goes through the net. If you don't metatag your infrastructure and register it accordingly it gets blocked no matter who it is. I used to do a lot of work with IHG and we had to do a number of things at the router level just to keep from being blocked as well. The world isn't as simple as "China and Google are having a pissing match so they are being blocked". Google is, however, not playing by the rules for a lot of their systems and they do get blocked. So does a lot of things in China. Spent 2 days chatting with the US Department of Commerce about doing business in China while in Beijing for my MBA and those we just some of the things listed. There are LOTS of brands that can't function properly in China.

So what if other brands don't function in China? Apple functions properly, Google doesn't, and that has a huge effect on the future of these ecosystems. Much more so than a lag in implementing NFC.

I actually like those a lot. The gesturing system of iOS isn't as good as that on the Playbook, but its actually intuitive after a few minutes of use.
I just never find it comfortable to use 5 fingers on the screen at once. If it were 3 fingers it would be easier or something.

LCfiner

it seems like the examples Phoenix has posted about are more about a specific hardware limitation - NFC.

I mean, if the 4S had an NFC chip but there was no way for devs to use it, then I can see why it would be an iOS problem, but this is more about Apple just not putting the hardware in. like LTE. NFC will come in future hardware revisions and the OS support will come with it. And, most likely, Apple will be the one to make NFC mainstream, lol

edit:

I just never find it comfortable to use 5 fingers on the screen at once. If it were 3 fingers it would be easier or something.

how about four fingers? because all the gestures work with four, not just five, fingers.

noah111

Still Alive
One thing I dislike about iOS is the 5 finger gestures. So unnatural and weird. They're useful in functionality but not in implementation.
I disagree, it's perfectly implemented implemented and incredibly functional imo, I rarely even use the home button anymore. I don't know of any other way they could do it better.

They could of course add more gestures, such as two or three finger swipe down to pull out the notification center, three finger swipe left/right to go next/prev. track, etc.

Phoenix

it seems like the examples Phoenix has posted about are more about a specific hardware limitation - NFC.

I mean, if the 4S had an NFC chip but there was no way for devs to use it, then I can see why it would be an iOS problem, but this is more about Apple just not putting the hardware in. like LTE. NFC will come in future hardware revisions and the OS support will come with it. And, most likely, Apple will be the one to make NFC mainstream, lol

Not likely as the carriers own that part of the business according to the GSM Association. That little piece of the market that we're talking about is a multi-trillion dollar global piece of change.

NFC-mobile-payment-process.jpg

Apple can only exist in #1 in their current incarnation. The reason why Google was there and establishing infrastructure with carriers is because they realize this. The carriers realize this also which is why some (like Verizon) will require NFC in phones next year and why some carriers are registering themselves as banks so they can handle the hole transaction end to end.

The GSM association dictates that the only way to provision the tech that makes the wallets is to go through the carriers - which is likely why Apple hasn't been jumping to throw the technology into the iPhone. They aren't at the table in a major way under the NFC umbrella unless they convince the carriers. But with Android shipments doing well, the carriers have little incentive to give Apple anything. Google has forged some very strategic long term relationships in this space because Apple has been absent - and this NFC arena is the next growth area in mobile.

LCfiner

hmm. interesting. certainly a bit more complex than I had thought (obviously)

Maybe it's just where I live but I've never seen any NFC stations for phones or anything like that. from this layperson, it seems to be a nonexistent market, seemingly up for grabs. I've seen NFC terminals for special credit cards but those are few and far between. the whole thing seems like it's coming but not actually here yet so it didn't seem like Apple was late in adding it in.

honestly, I never see NFC stuff in stores. I wonder if it's growing in areas that are above my price limit.

NFC home radios are not advertised in stores either so, again, it seems like that tech is at a standstill, just waiting for something to push it into the mainstream, hence my comment about Apple possibly doing it.

if the wheels are in motion behind the scenes, then that's obviously something else. I suppose we'll see what happens in 2013.

But I feel confident saying that Apple won't be showing anything NFC related in June since they likely won't have hardware for it till fall for the new iphone.

Phoenix

hmm. interesting. certainly a bit more complex than I had thought (obviously)

Maybe it's just where I live but I've never seen any NFC stations for phones or anything like that. from this layperson, it seems to be a nonexistent market, seemingly up for grabs. I've seen NFC terminals for special credit cards but those are few and far between. the whole thing seems like it's coming but not actually here yet so it didn't seem like Apple was late in adding it in.

honestly, I never see NFC stuff in stores. I wonder if it's growing in areas that are above my price limit.

NFC home radios are not advertised in stores either so, again, it seems like that tech is at a standstill, just waiting for something to push it into the mainstream, hence my comment about Apple possibly doing it.

if the wheels are in motion behind the scenes, then that's obviously something else. I suppose we'll see what happens in 2013.

But I feel confident saying that Apple won't be showing anything NFC related in June since they likely won't have hardware for it till fall for the new iphone.

Here is kinda the world and the players.

globalpayments.jpg

6467144727_4ca8c5a098.jpg

What is slowing it all down is the pissing match between Google Wallet and ISIS (i.e. Google & Sprint versus pretty much everybody else.... and Google is gaining traction quickly because they have trained, deployed and enabled the ecosystem with Android for years now). Once that's decided the adoption is coming quickly. The rest of that ecosystem is already in place and the types of applications that can be built with it will change your world in ways that you can't possibly imagine.

LCfiner

The rest of that ecosystem is already in place and the types of applications that can be built with it will change your world in ways that you can't possibly imagine.

that's a bold statement. you will forgive me if I am skeptical. Still, it'd be cool if you're right. I wouldn't mind having my world changed in ways I can't possibly imagine (as long as those changes don't involve hostile aliens or open sores on my skin).

Blackhead

Redarse
Here is kinda the world and the players.

http://excapite.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/globalpayments.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7028/6467144727_4ca8c5a098.jpg

What is slowing it all down is the pissing match between Google Wallet and ISIS (i.e. Google & Sprint versus pretty much everybody else.... and Google is gaining traction quickly because they have trained, deployed and enabled the ecosystem with Android for years now). Once that's decided the adoption is coming quickly. The rest of that ecosystem is already in place and the types of applications that can be built with it will change your world in ways that you can't possibly imagine.
What about microsoft? They've included support for NFC in Windows 8, Windows Phone already supports carrier billing, and Nokia just released a Lumia with NFC. Do you think they could get a foot in the door?

Nevasleep

paytag2.jpg

Job done, with an application on the phone would be perfect.
This also works fine with any wireless terminal already rolled out. (Quite a few in UK now, Coffee shops, McDonalds, Boots, Greggs).

How would Google and the other system's work with current merchant terminals???

Apple should create a system working with VISA and MASTERCARD allowing people to just link/load cards to the device, no third parties or any of this wallet bullshit.

Phoenix

What about microsoft? They've included support for NFC in Windows 8, Windows Phone already supports carrier billing, and Nokia just released a Lumia with NFC. Do you think they could get a foot in the door?

I never underestimate Microsoft, but I hear so few people caring about Windows Phone that I didn't even hope the Lumina 800 box when it arrived. I have no idea when I'd get a chance to use it. Its an iOS/Android world right now IMO. However the fact that it does have NFC makes it a good 'long term' device.

giga

http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/11/ios-6...debuts-in-house-maps-with-incredible-3d-mode/

According to trusted sources, Apple has an incredible headline feature in development for iOS 6: a completely in-house maps application. Apple will drop the Google Maps program running on iOS since 2007 in favor for a new Maps app with an Apple backend. The application design is said to be fairly similar to the current Google Maps program on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, but it is described as a much cleaner, faster, and more reliable experience.

While Apple has always had full control of the actual iOS Maps application design, the backend has belonged to Google. That will change with iOS 6 thanks to their purchases of Placebase, C3 Technologies, and Poly9; acquisitions that Apple has used to create a complete mapping database. Now that the application is fully in-house, it is being renamed to simply “Maps.” We reported prior to the launch of iOS 5 that Apple and Google had extended their Maps deal, and now it is obvious when that deal ends.

Signifying the application’s complete re-write is a new logo for iOS Maps: it is basically a redesigned version of the current iOS Maps icon with a view of Apple’s 1 Infinite Loop Campus, but redrawn with a new color scheme. Apple’s replacement for Google Street View will likely also be an in-house solution. C3 Technologies worked on street view capability as shown in the image above.

The most important aspect of the new Maps application is a powerful new 3D mode. The 3D mode does not come enabled by default, but users simply need to click a 3D button that is conveniently and visibly stored in the app. Perhaps under the fold like the current traffic, pin, and map view buttons. This 3D mode is said to essentially be technology straight from C3 Technologies: beautiful, realisitic graphics based on de-classified missile target algorithms. This is how the Apple acquired company C3 Technologies described their technology:

noah111

Still Alive
It's going to be fucking amazing. Maps has always been lacking a bit, but this will be insane on the retina iPad. But it makes me wonder... will there be a desktop version? I don't see how/why there wouldn't be.

Blackhead

Redarse
Just give us legit voice navigation like android phones have had for years
This. I want Siri to tell me how many bus stops left and when to get off the transit.

Waze is free and pretty great. Not sure how it compares to android or paid apps though

It doesn't really compare. Iirc there is also an app for the transit nav but there is only so much that third-party navigation apps can do in the background compared to the default apps.

LCfiner

I like my full GPS app on my iPhone, but I would like the built in turn by turn so that it can be integrated with Siri.

on that note, I also want Siri to add navigation and restaurant stuff to Canada. those are two useful features that I'd like to access via voice control in my car.

Blackhead

Redarse
So does this mean Google will create their own third-party Google Maps app that's on par with the Android one?

Perhaps but Apple's restrictions on third-party iOS apps makes it unlikely that they'll ever be as good as the Android ones. Google could flesh out the mobile site more. I wonder if Apple will continue redirecting web links to google maps and youtube to the native apps.

Eh ... meh? I mean, really, it's nice to have and all, but does it really need a major OS update to switch a maps app?
Yeah, on iOS it still does. Only Google has decoupled all the main system apps from the OS and provides updates via the app store.

Let us store maps on the phone itself, like Nokia does, and it would be ideal. That way I can navigate in areas without coverage, or with insane roaming charges.

giga

WSJ confirms: http://allthingsd.com/20120511/apples-coming-map-app-will-blow-your-head-off/

We’ve independently confirmed that this is indeed the case. Sources describe the new Maps app as a forthcoming tent-pole feature of iOS that will, in the words of one, “blow your head off.” I’m not quite sure what that means, and the source in question declined to elaborate, but it’s likely a reference to the photorealistic 3-D mapping tech Apple acquired when it purchased C3 Technologies.

Sources say the current plan is to debut the new Maps app during the keynote; caveat: keynote plans often change, especially at Apple.

LCfiner

I can't for my head to be blown off looking at 3D maps of major US cities (Canadian 3D street support to arrive sometime in 2016)

iavi

I'm just hoping for a MBP refresh. An Ivy Bridge/Kepler combo would be fab, though Apple went AMD for the GPU in the last refresh...

numble

@chronic has seen the app. He hasn't seen anything else of iOS 6, but he thinks there will be UI revamp based on the stylings of the Maps app.

Also, they found iCloud beta web apps.

I'm too lazy to post links. It's very late where I am.

giga

@chronic has seen the app. He hasn't seen anything else of iOS 6, but he thinks there will be UI revamp based on the stylings of the Maps app.

Also, they found iCloud beta web apps.

I'm too lazy to post links. It's very late where I am.

iNNDS.png

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I need a new MacBook. I know that update is coming soon so I'm holding off on getting one now. June plz. Thx

nib95

Banned
So why would this 3D maps thing be superior to Google Street View? Quicker perhaps? Or just the novelty of 3D?

edgefusion

I wouldn't get hyped for a revamped UI in iOS 6 because the new Maps is specially themed. Virtually every app is specially themed.

I wouldn't get hyped for a revamped UI in iOS 6 because the new Maps is specially themed. Virtually every app is specially themed.

Would be nice, though.

OS X went through a a whole series of UI evolutions in six revisions, yet iOS looks pretty much exactly like it did on Day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom