• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama HD |OT| • An STG by Tsuneki Ikeda

Tain

mushigif_half_2x_slowj4ilv.gif

Mushihimesama
10/12/2004 (AC) | May 24, 2012 (360)
Developed and Published by CAVE
Directed by TSUNEKI IKEDA

about2x8qzl9.png

Mushihimesama is Cave’s tenth arcade release, a vertical-scrolling STG in a Nausicaa-inspired setting. It was released in 2004, ported to the PS2 in 2005 (poorly, according to many), and is now being brought to the Xbox 360. Like its sequel Mushihimesama Futari, the game has three courses (the Toaplan-styled Original course and the more Cave-like Maniac and Ultra courses), each with unique patterns. Original uses its own set of scoring mechanics.

What we know about the port:
  • Disc will contain Novice, Arrange, X360 modes
  • Sprites are rerendered in 4x their original resolution
  • Limited edition includes arranged soundtrack by Basiscape
  • Game will include DLC key for Mushihimesama 1.5 for first print copies of both editions
  • Slowdown in arcade mode is said to be pretty much exact. Asada made a point to mention this.
  • Arrange mode is the PS2 version's Arrange mode with various tweaks implemented from suggestions by top players to make it more of a challenge.

bonus2xxgxyv.png

The first print bonus this time around is Mushihimesama 1.5, a port of a Matsuri arranged edition of Mushihimesama released last year. As always, this bonus will be included with first print runs of both the Regular and Limited editions.

reviews2xvobrg.png

Famitsu: 8/7/8/8

More as they come.

media2xq0a9i.png

PV
Port’s official site (with 360 shots)

strategy2xbmzrd.png

Maniac and Ultra strategy guide, courtesy of EOJ.

region2xzwaet.png

There are no region-free options at this time, and the outlook is unlikely. Unless hard info pertaining to localization or the Japanese disc’s allowed regions comes to light, please direct any region-locking related discussion elsewhere. Sorry!

buy2x11bn2.png

NCSX
AmiAmi
Play-Asia

SOME-MIST

Easily my most anticipated release of 2012, and I'm dying for my copy to finally ship. awesome thread - subscribed.

What are the differences between this release and the one a few years ago?
Is it just Uprezzed art

If you're thinking Mushihimesama Futari - this is a different game.

If you're thinking Mushihimesama - Novice and Arrange modes are new. Also, this port is much less likely to be crap.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Didn't bring my Japanese 360 back from school for the summer, so I won't be playing this for months. But I'm buying it now anyway, because fuckin'.... why not?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've only played the port for the PS2, so I have no frame of reference - what was considered so bad about that? Slowdown?

That said, I'm interested in this version, but still feel:
ESPGaluda 1 > 2
Futari > Mushihime-sama

Tain

From what I've heard, there are a lot of parts that are faster or slower than they should be, and the visual options are pretty awful.

Some more detail from EOJ:

Mushihimesama (Japanese PS2) – ~70~75% slowdown accuracy. Stage 3 in Maniac runs really fast, and it’s far harder to score there than in the PCB. Stage 5 midboss in Maniac is missing crucial slowdown, making this very important scoring part much harder. Ultra mode runs too fast in some parts, and has extra slowdown in others. A few bullet patterns are different in the port, compared to the PCB (such as the stage 4 boss). Plus, the forced blurry graphic filter is really hard on the eyes.

The filter really is nasty.

Yes Boss!

Yay for an OT!

Can't wait. Got both editions ordered.

Still have not even gotten to play the iOS port so it will be a Mushi summer for me.

360 seems dead/dying in japan so perhaps the last shooter release ;-(

Looking forward to dumping tons of hours into this. I'm kinda overwhelmed by how many different modes there are to learn... Guess I'll start with Original and work my way up.

meppi

Why are these kinds of games always only for 360?

More or less because Microsoft doesn't have a problem with companies like Cave releasing "old and ugly looking" games on their current system as retail releases.
Second point is probably because the first couple of releases created a market for them on the 360 so other shooters having an easier time finding their niche target audience.

Anyway. Loved this game on the PS2 and will most likely be getting a Japanese 360 in the next month or two for this game and others like it that don't make it over to Europe.
Raiden Fighters, I'm looking your way....

I do have one question though. Since I already have a Pal 360, would I be able to play my Japanese system with my regular account and would things like achievements and such be unified?
Also. What's the best way of doing this? Putting my profile on a USB stick?

My question stands.

Early on in the generation, some of the smaller notable devs began releasing on the 360 - no one outside of the developers themselves can really say why, but reasonable guesses are because it was the first console of its generation to hit the market, it's the simplest to develop for, the competition didn't want "older" games on their console, and/or they got moneyhatted. This ended up defining the market for the entire generation, as when Cave began releasing for 360, their entire fanbase already owned the 360.

What's in Mushihimesama 1.5? Basically a rearrange of the mobs or whatnot?

New music by Ryu Umemoto (Espgaluda II Black Label [not arcade], Akai Katana), introduction of Max Power mode (start at full power but only one bomb, enemy strength increased), other tweaks.

I do have one question though. Since I already have a Pal 360, would I be able to play my Japanese system with my regular account and would things like achievements and such be unified?

Pretty much answered your own questions. The only bit that gets iffy is when DLC is involved, and it's a minor annoyance at best - you have to have a JP gamertag to download most JP DLC, but any gamertag on the console it is first downloaded on can use it after that.

muu

More or less because Microsoft doesn't have a problem with companies like Cave releasing "old and ugly looking" games on their current system as retail releases.
Second point is probably because the first couple of releases created a market for them on the 360 so other shooters having an easier time finding their niche target audience.

Anyway. Loved this game on the PS2 and will most likely be getting a Japanese 360 in the next month or two for this game and others like it that don't make it over to Europe.
Raiden Fighters, I'm looking your way....

Achievements will be unified. With some games you can even 1000 the same titles with the various regional releases. Profiles on USB sticks work great.

Ease of porting probably has something to do w/ it, too. A lot of these games have a skeleton staff making them, and they may/may not even have the expertise in creating a faithful port on another system.

danmaku

Yes, just turn on your JP system, connect to Live and recover your PAL/US gamertag. There's no region "lock" on gamertags, I created my PAL gamertag on my JP console.

I preordered the game ages ago, finally I can re-play Mushi with a proper arcade stick and decent graphics!

muu

New music by Ryu Umemoto (Espgaluda II Black Label [not arcade], Akai Katana), introduction of Max Power mode (start at full power but only one bomb, enemy strength increased), other tweaks.

Guess I'll pass on it for now, then. Too, too much stuff to play atm and I'm stacking games for later left and right. Hopefully I can find this and Death Smiles 2 at a reasonable price next time I visit Japan...

Guess I'll pass on it for now, then. Too, too much stuff to play atm and I'm stacking games for later left and right. Hopefully I can find this and Death Smiles 2 at a reasonable price next time I visit Japan...

1.5 is a first-press bonus, so it's now or never.

Also, Deathsmiles IIX is available on US Games on Demand.

Yes, just turn on your JP system, connect to Live and recover your PAL/US gamertag. There's no region "lock" on gamertags, I created my PAL gamertag on my JP console.

I preordered the game ages ago, finally I can re-play Mushi with a proper arcade stick and decent graphics!

Having your profile on a memory unit/USB stick is waaaaay easier than recovering it every time.

.... probably should have stealth-edited this one into my previous post, mind's a little broken today...

Tain

I'd also bet that M2's work on the Futari port played a role in Cave's decision to stick to 360. As in, Cave has probably been working off of what M2 did for them since then and doesn't want to drop the cash to get M2 to port their tech to PS3.

meppi

Thanks for all the replies guys! :)

Having a Japanese gamertag as well for region locked DLC isn't a problem since I already made one when I noticed my copy of Pink Sweets came with the limited edition code which didn't work on a European gamertag.

So when I put my profile on a USB stick, I can just put it into the Japanese system and leave it in there and won't have to put it back into my European one?
That would be incredibly easy.

The only small obstacle is getting hold of a new Japanese slim 360 which don't seem to be in stock in the shops I have used before. And I certainly don't want to get a 2nd hand one, no matter how great the condition it might be in.
How much would be a good price for a Japanese 360 in Europe.
Preferably a 250gig model since I prefer to install the games so there's less potential to scratch DVDs as it only need to check if I have the actual disc once and doesn't need to keep loading content.
I'm thinking of around €400-450 tax included. Might have to send VGI a mail soon.

ghibli99

There was no DA out on the PS2 game either, IIRC... so for those who only have their systems hooked up via optical, it kind of sucks (PaRappa 2 was the same way).

From what I've heard, there are a lot of parts that are faster or slower than they should be, and the visual options are pretty awful.

The filter really is nasty.

As much as I like Mushihimesama, the less said about the PS2 port, the better. It really is terrible.

I'd really like to get the 360 port. Damn you region locking.

cj_iwakura

My question stands.

As said, it's largely Sony's fault, which makes me sad as a shmup-loving PS3 owner.

If it's any consolation, Wii has some good shmups too, like Shiki 3, Radio Allergy(Ultimate Shooting Collection), and the VC stuff like Gleylancer.

Stuff like this is definitely a highlight of the 360, and the #1 reason I want a JP console.

Yes Boss!

Thanks for all the replies guys! :)
The only small obstacle is getting hold of a new Japanese slim 360 which don't seem to be in stock in the shops I have used before. And I certainly don't want to get a 2nd hand one, no matter how great the condition it might be in.
How much would be a good price for a Japanese 360 in Europe.
Preferably a 250gig model since I prefer to install the games so there's less potential to scratch DVDs as it only need to check if I have the actual disc once and doesn't need to keep loading content.
I'm thinking of around €400-450 tax included. Might have to send VGI a mail soon.

meppi,

I'll be in Akihabara a couple times in July and then back in Europe (Germany) at the end of July so if you need some help getting a J-360 that way then PM me. It would be late July or early August though. Would be cheaper since there is no shipping...except shipping from Bavaria to wherever you live...looks like Belgium (I'll be in Belgium in August, as well).

I plan on getting a Slim 4GB or two for myself and then just putting in a cheap official 250GB harddrive from amazon.

meppi

meppi,

I'll be in Akihabara a couple times in July and then back in Europe (Germany) at the end of July so if you need some help getting a J-360 that way then PM me. It would be late July or early August though. Would be cheaper since there is no shipping...except shipping from Bavaria to wherever you live...looks like Belgium (I'll be in Belgium in August, as well).

I plan on getting a Slim 4GB or two for myself and then just putting in a cheap official 250GB harddrive from amazon.

That would be incredible! :D
The only problem that Is see is that I'd love to have my system before I get started on my summer holiday this year which would be about a month late... :(
I'd love to have a full month of being able to play a bunch of Cave games.
Was originally gonna pick up a new iPad for my summer vacation, but I think I'll have a lot more fun this way.
Gonna see how much the markup on the systems is as they'll have to order them I guess, and if they would get them by June. If it's reasonable, I might go the 4Gb route as well and order a separate HDD.
If he asks €800 for one I might as well wait a month or two till you get back. ;)

Really looking forward to this. Mushi is probably my second favourite Cave shmup after Espgaluda and has maybe my favourite overall OST. I bought Esp/Mushi/Ibara around this time 7 years ago, so it'll be nice on a nostalgic level too.

Yes Boss!

That would be incredible! :D
The only problem that Is see is that I'd love to have my system before I get started on my summer holiday this year which would be about a month late... :(
I'd love to have a full month of being able to play a bunch of Cave games.
Was originally gonna pick up a new iPad for my summer vacation, but I think I'll have a lot more fun this way.
Gonna see how much the markup on the systems is as they'll have to order them I guess, and if they would get them by June. If it's reasonable, I might go the 4Gb route as well and order a separate HDD.
If he asks €800 for one I might as well wait a month or two till you get back. ;)

Yeah, just keep me posted. And if you still need one buy the end of June-ish let me know. Not sure how much they are but I'm sure 4GB models are about $200 or less and the ones with the 250GB drive are about $300 or less.

I've always liked the 4GB model cause of the matte surface, but they all might be like that now.

Alternately, you can also email rancor at Tokyo Shmups to source one for you. He does not list them at his site but he has mentioned getting them for folks in EU:

http://www.sk8tokyo.com/shmup/

Yes Boss!

I'll have a second 1.5 code to give away to a Cave fan who does not get one. I'm thinking every copy will have one but if, for some reason, yours does not then PM me.

Tain

I don't have any details, but the Famitsu review is apparently 8/7/8/8. Nothing too shocking!

Also, from EOJ's translation of a Famitsu interview:

-Slowdown in arcade mode is said to be pretty much exact. Asada made a point to mention this. The last two times he said this it was for Deathsmiles and DFK 1.5, both of which have superb slowdown replication.
-Arrange mode is the PS2 version's Arrange mode with various tweaks implemented from suggestions by top players to make it more of a challenge. Sounds like it could be pretty awesome.
-They mulled about whether they should port Ibara or Mushi, and went with the latter.
-No one at Cave can clear Ultra mode.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So I feel like a dipshit asking this when I already asked in the Cave thread, but... how much is shipping for AmiAmi to get something like this sent to the US?

Top Bottom