• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. approach Ben Affleck for 'Justice League'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
http://www.showblitz.com/2012/08/wa...affleck-for-justice-league-directing-job.html

With Christopher Nolan declaring himself out of the running for JUSTICE LEAGUE, Warner Bros. has approached another of its go-to directors in Ben Affleck, who’s expected to discuss the project with studio brass in the coming days, multiple sources tell Variety's Jeff Sneider and Justin Kroll. Since guiding WB’s THE TOWN to commercial success and critical acclaim from both sides of the camera, Affleck has ascended high on the studio’s list of filmmakers who can be trusted with prime properties. Thus far, Affleck is the only candidate who’s been sent Will Beall’s JUSTICE LEAGUE script, which the GANGSTER SQUAD scribe was hired to write last summer. DC Comics’ answer to Marvel’s Avengers, JUSTICE LEAGUE is expected to bring together marquee characters Batman and Superman, as well as Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and The Flash. Affleck has made it clear that he’s only interested in directing films in which he also stars — THE TOWN and ARGO are proof of that — so its likely that if this pairing ever came to fruition, he would don a suit of his own. One possible hesitation on Affleck’s part is that any involvement with JUSTICE LEAGUE would take him out of circulation as a director for a few years. He could, however, still fit in an acting gig at Warners. Affleck has spent the last several weeks mulling an offer to star in topline Greg Berlanti’s long-gestating sci-fi drama REPLAY, which WB has spent more than a decade developing. Based on Ken Grimwood’s 1987 bestseller, story follows a man who dies and gets the chance to relive his life over and over again, changing partners and professions each time. JUSTICE LEAGUE won’t likely be ready for release until summer 2015, which could put it up right against Marvel’s AVENGERS 2, which has Joss Whedon returning to helm.

Could do worse

- J - D -

Don't know how well he'd do with a large scale action movie. He's only done small thrillers, yes? Well, as long as he doesn't play an actual character.

Tucah

you speak so well
He's been a pretty good director so far so if this pans out, could be a decent choice.

Now which hero would he be cast as...I dunno, maybe Hal?

SimleuqiR

headline17794.jpg

3786539347_bd79be41eb.jpg

But he's directing.

border

I'm kinda confused -- don't they need to like, establish these characters before throwing them all in a movie together?

I'm kinda confused -- don't they need to like, establish these characters before throwing them all in a movie together?

They don't need to establish Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman IMO. They are universally known characters. The only character in the Marvel Universe movies that was universally known was the Hulk. The rest were not household names.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Just give it to the guys who ran your animated stuff for ten years. Stop screwing around. Dini/Timm live action, let's do it.

Do you have any information that makes you think WB has finally figured out what the fuck they're doing with this stuff?

Do you have information that they don't know what they are doing with Justice League? They may have learned a lot from their failure with Green Lantern and from Avengers. We just don't know yet.

Blader

WB really wants him for the blockbusters. He's doing The Stand now and Nolan had approached him about doing Man of Steel too.

DMczaf

It can't be any worse than the George Miller Justice League movie that almost went into shooting 4 years ago.

People calling this a train wreck need to look up that movie and see what an actual train wreck looks like.

thefro

Affleck should stay the fuck away from this train wreck is he wants his directing career to continue blossoming.

Nah, he can get all his family/friends signed up for roles (Jennifer Garner, Casey Affleck, Matt Damon) and then have the stroke to take control of the movie.

Annnnnd this pretty much confirms and after-credits scene in MoS.

"I'm here to talk to you about the Justice Initiative."

*fade to black*

massoluk

Banned
I would have done World's Finest first, establishing Superman & Batman.
Then i don't know may be Flash & Green Lantern movie, or Wonder Women & Aquaman.

ReiGun

He's been a pretty good director so far so if this pans out, could be a decent choice.

Now which hero would he be cast as...I dunno, maybe Hal?
I'm thinking Flash. No particular reason, but that's who i'm imagining him as.

Train wreck?

We know nothing about the project in its current form.
They need to establish the new Batman trilogy, and there is no guarantee that it can or will reach the same sort of success as the Nolan series.

They need to make a Superman film that doesn't suck.

They need to actually make a Superwoman film, and the last time they tried doing that, they could barely get it off the ground.

They need to remake the Green Lantern.

Hell, they might have to make a fucking Aquaman film.

That's a lot of groundwork they have to lay out in order to make a successful Justice League film. All the while competing with the Marvel films.

Blader

They're going in the opposite direction of Marvel: teamup first, solo movies later. With the possible exception of Man of Steel, no idea if that's tying into a larger continuity or not (and most likely WB hasn't decided yet either; I'm sure there will be things in the movie small enough and flexible enough that they can use to tie it to Justice League if they want to).

Affleck is actually a good director, going by Gone baby gone and The Town. I mean I know it's funny because he's Ben Affleck but is it any crazier than the chubby guy from Swingers directing Iron Man? The stange thing is the tone of Affleck's movies is gritty and realistic. Could they be planning on continuing the Nolan verse and Man of Steel style into Justice League? How ballsy (or dumb?) would it be to have
JGL/Blake as Batman in this movie?
Warning DKR spoiler do not click

Anyway, the key for this is going to be the script. Affleck is a competent enough director if the script is good.

Do you have information that they don't know what they are doing with Justice League? They may have learned a lot from their failure with Green Lantern and from Avengers. We just don't know yet.
The Green Lantern came out after all those Marvel films came out, and WB learned nothing from them. What makes you think they're capable of doing it now? The hardest part will be making that new Batman trilogy. Too many people will want it to live up to Nolan's trilogy, and the odds of it doing that are very very slim.

They need to establish the new Batman trilogy, and there is no guarantee that it can or will reach the same sort of success as the Nolan series.

They need to make a Superman film that doesn't suck.

They need to actually make a Superwoman film, and the last time they tried doing that, they could barely get it off the ground.

They need to remake the Green Lantern.

Hell, they might have to make a fucking Aquaman film.

That's a lot of groundwork they have to lay out in order to make a successful Justice League film. All the while competing with the Marvel films.

They don't need to do any of this to make a Justice League film work.

Everyone knows who Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are. They need to spend time establishing individual franchises for each of these characters when they've already had plenty of universal exposure.

bjb

Banned
It can't be any worse than the George Miller Justice League movie that almost went into shooting 4 years ago.

People calling this a train wreck need to look up that movie and see what an actual train wreck looks like.

Armie Hammer as Batman? Sold.

eastmen

Banned
Good choice , he is a good actor and a great director . Its so early in his directing career and he should only continue to get better.

DMczaf

The stange thing is the tone of Affleck's movies is gritty and realistic. Could they be planning on continuing the Nolan verse and Man of Steel style into Justice League? How ballsy (or dumb?) would it be to have
JGL/Blake as Batman in this movie?
Warning DKR spoiler do not click

Another weird thing is that Affleck was one of Nolan's top choices for Man of Steel, but he turned it down.

Salsa

Affleck as Superman. Kevin Smith called it!

first thought, lol

if this happens smith is most definetly gonna be involved in some way, even if just by giving Affleck some advice.

Could work, Affleck is a solid director. Vastly prefer him directing over acting.

The Green Lantern came out after all those Marvel films came out, and WB learned nothing from them. What makes you think they're capable of doing it now? The hardest part will be making that new Batman trilogy. Too many people will want it to live up to Nolan's trilogy, and the odds of it doing that are very very slim.

Again, stop tying this into the new Batman movies. This has nothing to do with the new Batman films. Also, they may have learned a lot from Green Lantern.

first thought, lol

if this happens smith is most definetly gonna be involved in some way, even if just by giving Affleck some advice.

Could work

He's most certainly going to be involved in the script. DC is going to use the same strategy Marvel did with Whedon. Despite Smith's recent slew of shitty movies, fans will go apeshit if he's attached to script the JLA movie. He has a lot of good will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom