• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. approach Ben Affleck for 'Justice League'

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairyD

Just have the movie start off with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and Green lantern playing poker.

A simple 5-8 minute long scene of them chilling and playing poker. Bang introductions done, onto a JL movie.

Slayven

Only way I would see a JLA movie in theaters is if they have Superboy Prime as the villain or they base it on "The Tenth Circle" arc.

Blader

The Batman in the Justice League won't be Nolan's Batman. That's a given. So they need a new Batman. If they make a new Batman for the Justice League, what's the point of not having him tie into the new Batman trilogy/reboot? The Justice League Batman will almost definitely be the reboot Batman, and following the high of the Nolan series, they would have to put a lot of effort into making him live up to that bar.

I don't necessarily disagree, I just think you're kind of jumping the gun a bit.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I assume that they would go with the Big 7 over anyone else. Possibly John Stewart instead of Kyle if they do reboot.

I think they'll stick with Hal personally. It might not have done well, but they did just spend 300 million dollars advertising/building brand awareness of the character.

I doubt they want to explain to everyone that there are actually a bunch of earth Green Lanterns.

Again, I think there are two ways to make this work.

1) Team forms on the fly and isn't assembled/put together (see the JL reboot in the new 52)

2) Team already exists and the movie is set well after the formating of the JL.. watchtower is already there, etc.

3N16MA

Banned
I think you're over-thinking this. I don't think people will have an issue buying into another style of Batman after Nolan Batman. By 2015 (when this film will release) it won't be an issue at all.

Also, Superman is Superman, they will have no problem selling this guy.

You're worried about issues that just aren't there. These characters are timeless and have undergone huge transformations over the majority of the past decade yet still resonate with the masses around the world.

No problem selling Superman? I guess you missed Superman Returns back in 2006 when it barely broke $200M domestic and was considered a disappointment. It's the whole reason why the franchise is being rebooted with a new cast and director. Green Lantern was a disaster and the character needs to be reestablished. The Wonder Woman TV show got kicked to the curb before it premiered. It would make more sense to introduce the new Batman with his own film rather than introducing him in a JL film.

It could work but much work needs to be done.

The other issue is that the Justice League needs to limit the number of characters it introduces.

The Avengers went with 6 heroes, 4 primary, 2 secondary.

The Justice League I'd imagine would be running with at least Batman, Superman, Superwoman, Green Lantern and The Flash.

Personally, I think they should just limit it to those 5, any more and the movie will just be way too crowded and characters aren't going to get sufficient screen time.

Dram

I think it's safe to say the villain won't be Darkseid. Especially, if it comes out after Avengers 2 and Thanos is in it.

StoOgE

If he is involved, maybe it will be a low-key crime drama.

Like have Intergang as the main threat.

I wouldn't mind something a little less bombastic than the Avengers. Though, I doubt WB is interested in that.

I expect a lot of people punching Darkseid for 2 hours. Maybe I'll be surprised and they will go with something a little lower key.

Flash

WB just reeks of desperation... I don't thinkn they can pull it off.

And the reason Superman Returns and GL flopped was because they were awful films with a shitty storyline.

I wouldn't mind something a little less bombastic than the Avengers. Though, I doubt WB is interested in that.

I expect a lot of people punching Darkseid for 2 hours. Maybe I'll be surprised and they will go with something a little lower key.

If it does somehow happen, I could see them doing a Lex Luthor run Injustice League of some sort... and then save Intergang and Darkseid the sequel.

ezekial45

Banned

And the reason Superman Returns and GL flopped was because they were awful films with a shitty storyline.
Yeah, they NEED someone like Kevin Feige. He did a fantastic job bringing everything together. Unlike Geoff Johns.

Brera

Banned
JUSTICE LEAGUE starring Ben Affleck, Ben Affleck, Ben Affleck, Ben Affleck and....Ben Affleck!

He could play Batman, Superman, Flash and even Wonder Woman!

StoOgE

If it does somehow happen, I could see them doing a Lex Luthor run Injustice League of some sort... and then save Intergang and Darkseid the sequel.

I wouldn't mind a Tower of Babel set up for the first movie if they don't mind going with a cold open "world already exists" set up.

1) Everyone is familiar with the badguy already - less explenation needed.

2) It sets Batmans place up in the JL right away and shows why he is a member even without powers.

3) Batman is the center of the story.

4) The "take downs" would show the strenghts/weaknesses and a bit of backstory for each of the other members.

5) I don't have to watch people punch Darkseid for 2 hours culminating in Flash running faster than ever before to beat him or some other Geoff Johns machination.

Superboy Prime wouldn't be suitable for a pg13 crowd. He's just too badass.

IC4risk.jpg

MisterHero

Only way I would see a JLA movie in theaters is if they have Superboy Prime as the villain or they base it on "The Tenth Circle" arc.
Prime should be the final boss of the 10-chapter Superman Saga

-Man of Steel (vs. General Zod)
-The World's Finest: Superman and Batman (vs. the Government and Composite Superman)
-The World's Finest Part II: The War for Paradise Island (vs. Luthor/Cheetah/Vandal Savage)
-Justice League (vs. Despero and Mongul)
-The Death of Superman (vs. Doomsday)

-The Man of Tomorrow and the Legion of Superheroes (vs. the Time Trapper)
-Man of Steel 2 (vs. Metallo and Luthor)
-Justice League 2: Apokolips (vs. Darkseid and Intergang)
-The Man of 2 Tomorrows (vs. Ultraman and the Anti-Monitor)
-Superman and the Final Crisis (vs. Darkseid vs. Mandrakk vs. Superboy-Prime)

Spin-offs include:
-The Main Man: LOBO
-Lobo Helps the Justice League
-The Plastic Man Redemption
-Jimmy Olsen: Man of Action

If DC/WB can pull off Superboy-Prime in a movie, I'd be in heaven. It'll never happen, but they'd have my unwavering respect if they did.

Yep. On a side note, Infinite Crisis and it's lead up with Identity Crisis and Cowntdown were better than any of the bullshit cross over events Marvel has been shoving down our throats.

StoOgE

If DC/WB can pull off Superboy-Prime in a movie, I'd be in heaven. It'll never happen, but they'd have my unwavering respect if they did.

Geoff John's tried to squeeze the stupid war of light setup into the Green Lantern origin movie.

I could totally see them just going for broke with the Crisis on Infinite Earths in the first movie. I would rather see the ensuing train wreck than 2 hours of punching Darkseid.. so lets do it!

Slayven

Prime should be the final boss of the 10-chapter Superman Saga

-Man of Steel (vs. General Zod)
-The World's Finest: Superman and Batman (vs. the Government and Composite Superman)
-The World's Finest Part II: The War for Paradise Island (vs. Luthor/Cheetah/Vandal Savage)
-Justice League (vs. Despero and Mongul)

-The Man of Tomorrow and the Legion of Superheroes (vs. the Time Trapper)
-Man of Steel 2 (vs. Metallo and Luthor)
-Justice League 2: Apokolips (vs. Darkseid and his minions)
-The Man of 2 Tomorrows (vs. Ultraman and the Anti-Monitor)
-Superman and the Final Crisis (vs. Superboy-Prime vs. Darkseid vs. Mandrakk)

Spin-offs include:
-The Main Man: LOBO
-Lobo Helps the Justice League
-The Plastic Man Redemption

Now I want Mandrakk to just appear at the end of the movie and get killed with no explanation.

Salsa

Superboy Prime would have already happened if this was Marvel's film division.

you need balls DC movies

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yep. On a side note, Infinite Crisis and it's lead up with Identity Crisis and Cowntdown were better than any of the bullshit cross over events Marvel has been shoving down our throats.

Cosmic Marvel exists, your argument is invalid.

Also, Countdown? Really?

Dram

How did JLA form anyways? Were they brought together by some agency?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League#The_New_52

With DC's history rewritten due to the Flashpoint limited series, an entirely new origin for the Justice League was introduced in the subsequent Justice League series which debuted with an October 2011 cover date as part of the company-wide event, The New 52. Issue #1 portrayed the first meeting between Batman and Hal Jordan, with the two encountering each other during a battle against a Parademon in Gotham City.

After realizing the creature is extraterrestrial in origin, the two heroes head to Metropolis to seek out Superman and are attacked by him. Later, after a brief fight in which the Flash arrives and Batman convinces Superman they are on the same side, they move to an abandoned building to work on analyzing a mysterious alien box, when it suddenly activates and more Parademons arrive. While fighting the Parademons, Aquaman and Wonder Woman appear and join forces with the other heroes.

The mysterious box leads to Darkseid's arrival on Earth, and the heroes come together, along with newcomer Cyborg, to defeat him. The public are enamoured with the heroes, and a writer dubs the group the 'Justice League', following the Flash's suggestion of 'Super Seven'.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Trying to do this before they establish an overarching film universe, most specifically between Batman and Superman is being totally absurd and just racing after the Avengers success without understanding why.

Nolan Batman done, Green Lantern needing a reboot, only just 1 Superman film and in total isolation need threading, before even touching Flash, Wonder Woman, Aqua Man and Cyborg intro's.

Terriblez. Thats french for "FUCK NO."

Hero

They don't need to establish Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman IMO. They are universally known characters. The only character in the Marvel Universe movies that was universally known was the Hulk. The rest were not household names.

This would be the absolute worst way to launch a JL movie.

You don't just fucking assume people know who anyone besides Superman and Batman are and expect them to go see a movie with them and some random other people in it.

If they want to do JL properly it's going to take them years of rebooting every existing movie franchise they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom