• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Pokemon introduced FUSION?

Neiteio

Remember back in the day, when we were lil' buggers watching the Pokemon anime before middle school over a nutritious breakfast of Reese Puffs and Nesquik, and we saw the amazing Venustoise?

Venustoise.jpg

Of course, there's really no such thing, outside of the cartoon (an illusion created by Ghost Pokemon, iirc). BUT IT'S AWESOME.

Fast-forward to today, and we now have our first bastard hybrid Pokemon: Kyurem-W (Reshiram x Kyurem), and Kyurem-B (Zekrom x Kyurem). You splice their DNA with a special device, and the process is reversible.

These mofos be crazy:

643.gif
+
646.gif
=
646-white.gif

644.gif
+
646.gif
=
646-black.gif

Now each generation introduces some new mechanics -- many new mechanics, actually, but at a glance only a handful of major ones -- I.E. 2v2 in Gen III, 3v3 in Gen V. What could they do next?

Well many things, of course, but if they put in the time to give us a huge selection of new species, PLUS dozens of crossover "fusion" Pokemon... I think it could make for a cool new theme in Gen VI. Pokemon Fusion...

Maybe it could even redeem some Pokemon that otherwise aren't that competitive. Imagine fusing a Dunsparce and a Girafarig.

Just. Imagine.

So, might we see them pursue this route farther now that they fused legendaries in B2/W2? Could interesting possibilities come of it?

And Hyper Beam this thread if it's too franchise-specific, but I thought since everyone is familiar with evolution in PKMN games and might remember fusion from the cartoon, and since the PKMN community thread is overrun with K-On GIFs, this might find a home here... Thanks. :)

That would be insanely complicated even if you pared it down to the original 151 and would take ages to program and fit into the game unless it was really half-assed and unbalanced.

Neiteio

Don't we have a site that already combine pokemon ?
The ones in the OP (the sprite ones) are real Pokemon, introduced via DNA splicing in Black 2 and White 2. The question is, is this something Nintendo could explore further? There are dozens of Pokemon that aren't finding any use in competitive battling. Barring evolutions, perhaps this would be a neat bullet-point on the Gen 6 games...

xJavonta

Banned
Persona does this (in P3 and P4), and it always wields some interesting results. There are some Personas that can only be obtained through Fusion, and it'd be cool to see that happen in Pokemon too.

randomkid

The Pokemon creator said Megami Tensei was an influence in an interview at some point, right? So you're thinking of a return to that I guess?

Disclaimer, as someone who only played the first few hours of Red back in 1998 I barely understood the OP at all.

Besides, they already have breeding, which is essentially a sort of fusion except that the parents still exist and the offspring is of the same species.

Neiteio

Regarding it being too hard/time-consuming to design/program, I don't mean ALL Pokemon would be fusable with one another -- since there are already 649 species (spanning 730 forms) that would be an obscene number of permutations.

Rather, I think there should be specific combinations that work. The designers could set an ambitious but REALISTIC goal for themselves: let's say they pair up 60 Pokemon and create 30 fusions out of them. The game wouldn't give the impression that you can take any two Pokemon and combine 'em -- that would be false advertising -- but the possibility of creating "mixed species" in certain instances would still be fun, especially if they got clever with the combinations.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If they introduced that for every Pokemon available to fuse, then I'll fuse a Zubat and Tentacool to make the ultimate annoyance.

Mewtwo hurt itself in its confusion!

Mewtwo took poison damage!

Neiteio

I should also note, in the case of Kyurem-W and Kyurem-B, each fused Pokemon gets a considerable stat boost (among the highest Spc. Attk and Phy. Attk stats in the game, respectively), and they learn some unique moves as well (I.E. Freeze Shock on Kyurem-B). So technically, it's not the same as breeding.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You should really check out Dragon Quest Monsters if you're into this concept.

Vaati

Banned
Fusion just doesn't agree with Pokemons theme of every Pokemon being a unique individual.

Reshiram and Zekrom were once the same Pokemon (a non-empty Kyurem) which is why he transforms when given their DNA.

Neiteio

Fusion just doesn't agree with Pokemons theme of every Pokemon being a unique individual.

Reshiram and Zekrom were once the same Pokemon (a non-empty Kyurem) which is why he transforms when given their DNA.
Hmm, it's true that story-wise, the Kyurem forms are justified (Reshiram and Zekrom were once one, then split, and Kyurem was incomplete and leftover, until you fuse one of them back in). Still... I think it'd be a neat way to "evolve" without evolving, since after all, you can always reverse the process and get back the individual Pokemon. But while fused they can learn new moves and utilize new stats.

Neiteio

What an unfortunate site. Years ago we put actual effort in our splices. There's no algorithm for a great mix.

I had tons of fun doing it too!

backthen.gif
Whoa! Those are amazing! Especially Delibird/Pinsir -- that's one I'd actually love to see in-game, as inexplicable a combination as it seems. It could be an Ice/Bug-type, with Levitate as its ability. :)

Is the very last one a Raikou/Umbreon fusion? An Electric/Dark-type -- incredibly badass!

Madao

as long as it is limited to certain species, it could be workable. fusing every pokemon is unthinkable and would be insane from the dev's point of view.

i always thought that weak and shitty pokes like Plusle and Minun would be perfect candidates to fuse together and produce a super strong poke that can give the OU pokes a run for their money (think like in DBZ, Goten and Trunks couldn't do shit against Majin Boo, but after their Fusion, they could rival Boo easily after some training)

also, didn't Mantine's pre-evo evolve if you level up with a Remoraid in the party (the Remoraid doesn't go away iirc but that's pretty close to an actual fusion)

maybe we can get a Ghost/Normal poke through a fusion or other bizarre type combos that wouldn't exist easily (still holding out for a Water/Fire poke, a Grass/Fire poke and a Fighting/Flying poke)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa! Those are amazing! Especially Delibird/Pinsir -- that's one I'd actually love to see in-game, as inexplicable a combination as it seems. It could be an Ice/Bug-type, with Levitate as its ability. :)

Is the very last one a Raikou/Umbreon fusion? An Electric/Dark-type -- incredibly badass!

It sure is! I used to admin at a popular Pokémon forum called PMF in the mid-2000s. We specialized in mixes and customs, so we made tons of cool stuff! We were actually trying to make a game based on mixes using Ruby as a base.

Back on topic, I think that it'd be a cool new direction for a game but a tough sell. Nintendo's not big on taking franchises in radical directions, and fusing Pokémon would make it difficult to balance stats. We learned in our project that having a Piplup/Proygon starter line wasn't quite as fair stat-wise and move-wise as having a Treecko/Bagon starter line.

Maybe adding specific Pokémon based on fusing, but an entire game hardly seems feasible.

Neiteio

as long as it is limited to certain species, it could be workable. fusing every pokemon is unthinkable and would be insane from the dev's point of view.

i always thought that weak and shitty pokes like Plusle and Minun would be perfect candidates to fuse together and produce a super strong poke that can give the OU pokes a run for their money (think like in DBZ, Goten and Trunks couldn't do shit against Majin Boo, but after their Fusion, they could rival Boo easily after some training)

also, didn't Mantine's pre-evo evolve if you level up with a Remoraid in the party (the Remoraid doesn't go away iirc but that's pretty close to an actual fusion)

maybe we can get a Ghost/Normal poke through a fusion or other bizarre type combos that wouldn't exist easily (still holding out for a Water/Fire poke, a Grass/Fire poke and a Fighting/Flying poke)
That Plusle/Minun example is great. Another might be Volbeat and Illumise. Or perhaps even Pokemon that are often depicted as pairs: I.E. Latios and Latias, Zangoose and Serviper, Solrock and Lunatone, Salamence and Flygon, etc.

Again, the idea isn't to make all Pokemon fusable. The devs would just pick like 60 old favorites and create 30 fusions out of them. Part of the fun would be trying to see which Pokemon could be combined (if you're going in blind and don't already know beforehand).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Honestly it would be an interesting idea at the very least, it could be a way to make certain guys stronger. God knows some mons could use a buff. Charizard could finally be fire/dragon.

Top Bottom