• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Pokemon introduced FUSION?

Neiteio

Honestly it would be an interesting idea at the very least, it could be a way to make certain guys stronger. God knows some mons could use a buff. Charizard could finally be fire/dragon.
Yes, that's a good example. Imagine if Charizard could fuse with Dragonite (if you wanted to go classic), or Haxorus (if you wanted to just be straight-up badass). He would finally be Fire/Dragon -- just give him Levitate if you want him to have the Ground-type immunity of his former Flying-type.

fallagin

Sorry!

50.44.png

Oh my god, that is incredible.

That would be insanely complicated even if you pared it down to the original 151 and would take ages to program and fit into the game unless it was really half-assed and unbalanced.

I'm always in favor of this. I really hope whatever evolution pokemon games eventually make they just include the original 151 at first so they can focus more time on actual gameplay mechanics and forming the world. Then introduce more established pokemon each new update/iteration. I feel Game Freak has it all wrong, we don't want more pokemon, but a new way to explore the pokemon world and interact with existing pokemon.

Neiteio

I'm always in favor of this. I really hope whatever evolution pokemon games eventually make they just include the original 151 at first so they can focus more time on actual gameplay mechanics and forming the world. Then introduce more established pokemon each new update/iteration. I feel Game Freak has it all wrong, we don't want more pokemon, but a new way to explore the pokemon world and interact with existing pokemon.
Speak for yourself! I love all 649 Pokemon and can't wait to see what new ones they invent. I'm still waiting for a moose, alpaca, goat, possum, platypus, mosquito, barreleye, vampire squid, narwhal, dolphin (seriously, there hasn't been a dolphin yet??). Not to mention new type combos: Dark/Electric, Dark/Psychic, Fire/Water, Steel/Ghost, etc.

And it's not like they don't continue to expand the potential of the old Pokemon. Gen 4 added loads of evolutions for old Pokemon (I.E. Tangela -> Tangrowth, Magenton -> Magnezone, Electabuzz -> Electivire, etc), and each sequel adds new abilities/moves to spice them up. :)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Since we're still posting those sad recolored sprites with badly zoomed faces, I feel obliged to toss Juggernatu into the ring and straighten you guys out.

juggernatu.gif

Maybe the first official Pokémon fighter besides Brawl could be a gang of fused Pokéthugs?

Speak for yourself! I love all 649 Pokemon and can't wait to see what new ones they invent. I'm still waiting for a moose, alpaca, goat, possum, platypus, mosquito, barreleye, vampire squid, narwhal, dolphin (seriously, there hasn't been a dolphin yet??). Not to mention new type combos: Dark/Electric, Dark/Psychic, Fire/Water, Steel/Ghost, etc.

And it's not like they don't continue to expand the potential of the old Pokemon. Gen 4 added loads of evolutions for old Pokemon (I.E. Tangela -> Tangrowth, Magenton -> Magnezone, Electabuzz -> Electivire, etc), and each sequel adds new abilities/moves to spice them up. :)

My apologies, you're right. I really just want to see a a more fully realized pokemon world, and I don't really like the new evolutions for old pokemon (in terms of design).

Neiteio

Since we're still posting those sad recolored sprites with badly zoomed faces, I feel obliged to toss Juggernatu into the ring and straighten you guys out.

juggernatu.gif

Maybe the first official Pokémon fighter besides Brawl could be a gang of fused Pokéthugs?
Juggernatu is UNSPEAKABLY badass!

(Fun fact: My username is the Japanese name of Xatu, Natu's evolution!)

MechaX

Someone beat me to the punch with the DNA Digivolve joke. But in all seriousness, unless the fusions are limited like the Kyurem forms, it would be quite unmanageable (or would take an extraordinary amount of effort).

Although, I would like to see gems like...

80.49.png

34.54.png

52.82.png

55.79.png

Mista Koo

I like the idea but I hate the example. IMO they ruined my favorite legendary pair and made them ugly as hell.

Maybe I shall steal the idea for my Pokemon clone.

What an unfortunate site. Years ago we put actual effort in our splices. There's no algorithm for a great mix.

I had tons of fun doing it too!

backthen.gif
Who are the Starlies fused with? And great job btw.

Yes, that's a good example. Imagine if Charizard could fuse with Dragonite (if you wanted to go classic), or Haxorus (if you wanted to just be straight-up badass). He would finally be Fire/Dragon -- just give him Levitate if you want him to have the Ground-type immunity of his former Flying-type.
I don't care about stats, but you want badass? Aggron/Luxray. MECHA. LION.

Now which Pokemon to fuse with Jigglypuff to make it cuter?

http://images.alexonsager.net/pokemon/fused/59/59.25.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://images.alexonsager.net/pokemon/fused/3/3.59.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://images.alexonsager.net/pokemon/fused/59/59.56.png[IMG]

lol[/QUOTE]

If I disapproved of fusions beforehand, this is doing nothing to further sell me on them.

Randdalf

I think longer and more branching evolutions would be better than fusion. At its heart, Pokemon is meant to be a fun representation of the natural world, so whilst you occasionally get zany and silly designs a lot of them are grounded in reality. I don't think fusion makes sense if you take the naturalistic view of things.

Neiteio

Here's how I picture them handling fusions:

First, there would be the addition of 100-150 NON-fused new Pokemon. So people would still get their "standalone" Pokemon fix.

Separate from them, Nintendo would design 50 fused forms, each made by combining two specific old Pokemon. In the pokedex, these would be treated as forms -- sharing the name of one of the component Pokemon, with something in parentheses to distinguish the form, I.E. "Charizard (Spliced)." Their appearance, stats, ability and move pool could be different -- even their type combination (Fire/Dragon in the case of Charizard X Haxorus) -- but their pokedex number would be the same as their namesake.

In terms of which Pokemon would be fusable, I think Pokemon that are "paired up" in the pokedex should be prioritized: I.E. Plusle and Minun, Volbeat and Illumise, Solrock and Lunatone, etc. The reason being, it would be hard to give one of them an evolution without giving both of them evolutions, and potential-wise that may be redundant in cases; however, merging the two together to get a stronger Pokemon kills two birds with one stone (as much as I dislike that saying).

So there is real utility in that sense, and a practical way to approach it from a dev standpoint, and the result is an interesting way to get some fun designs and competitive usage out of old Pokemon lines that were previously considered not fit for high-tier competition. :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You already have one.

It's called Pokemon ReBurst.

And it's terrible.

So it's basically DNA Digivolution
Boss Doggie and I need to try that one day...

Good god no

Innovation? In a Pokemon game? That's asking a lot.

If this is innovation then it's a great example of "innovation is not always correct".

Alternatively, spoken like someone who never played Pokemon.

Kade

I'd be fine with it if it was implemented well and they stopped making more Pokemon. I went from Gen 1 to Gen 2 to Gen 5 and don't know what the hell is going on. There was a honeycomb with wings.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'd be fine with it if it was implemented well and they stopped making more Pokemon. I went from Gen 1 to Gen 2 to Gen 5 and don't know what the hell is going on. There was a honeycomb with wings.

That doesn't make the opinion on fusions becoming better any more right though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I went from Gen 1 to Gen 2 to Gen 5 and don't know what the hell is going on. There was a honeycomb with wings.
When you see a Pokémon you can either weaken it to catch it for completion or to train. Or you you can defeat it for exp. Hope that helped. :)

Qurupeke

Fusions would work, but there are problems like typing. What would happen if you fused Charizard with Flygon? A dragon/flying, a dragon/fire or a fire/ground type? Or all of them? If they just selected a few Pokemon, it would be really cool thought. And this should have its own dex.

Kade

That doesn't make the opinion on fusions becoming better any more right though.

I just think 649 is a good number to leave it at and adding more Pokemon means features like fusion get more difficult and/or time consuming to implement well. At this point I'd value more gameplay additions than an increase in something there's already an abundance of.

Top Bottom