• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie says 'nobody plays shooters the way they used'

dmr87

Update - Rock Paper Shotgun

There are two possibilities. Jason Jones has never heard of Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, or any other number of hugely played online FPS games for the PC. Or Bungie just don’t give a toss about reality any more. I’m sure what he meant to say was, “We couldn’t be bothered to make a PC version,” but for some reason it came out as, “Blurble flurble flipple-flopple ploooooooo.”

Perhaps he misspoke, perhaps he’s a braggart who thinks Halo changed the face of FPS while no one else noticed, perhaps he just meant the regenerating health thing…? But I’m pretty sure I’d like to see him going up against some of the best online FPS players in the world, him with his joystick, them with their mice and keyboards that they haven’t been told they don’t want to use any more.

"A lot of news on Bungie's new shooter Destiny has come out this morning, and while it looks like an interesting game, their hasn't been a PC version announced by the Halo developer. Something said by the studio's co-founder, Jason Jones may bring some light as to why their might not be a PC version of Destiny."

We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jason Jones told us. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to.

"I don't know about you, but I play shooters with a mouse and keyboard, and it's because I want to. I have a 360 controller for my PC, but I rarely use it. I have tried playing some shooters on my girlfriends PlayStation 3, and I can't stand it. I know I am not alone here, and that there are thousands if not millions of gamers who prefer using a mouse and keyboard.

I also liked old-school shooters that had health packs and the choice to quick save when I wanted to. There are still shooters that don't follow the Halo formula like Max Payne 3 that are very successful. Halo is a great game, but it's a bold statement to say that we don't want to play shooters the way we used to."

http://www.destructoid.com/bungie-says-nobody-plays-shooters-the-way-they-used--245428.phtml
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/17/destiny-not-coming-to-pc-bungie-deny-reality/

Platy

Nobody plays shooters like Quake 1 because THERE IS NO MORE SHOOTERS LIKE QUAKE 1

*oldvsnewleveldesigninfps.jpg*

Jarmel

Banned
We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jason Jones told us. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to.

More like we don't have any other option.

Artanisix

I don't know how people play FPS games with a controller. It is the most clumsy, sluggish, awful control scheme possible.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
They're right. A 360 pad is the way to go.

Soi-Fong

Yup. While the controller is now a viable way to play FPS games, nothing beats the original mouse and keyboard. It's a foolish statement from them.

Porcile

I'd love to see a return to Goldeneye or Perfect Dark style shooter's. Recharging health and limited amount of guns are terrible ideas. It's no wonder this generation totally lost me with FPS's.

liquidfox00

Neo Member
It's all hyperbole right now. I'm willing to bet that Destiny is going to be a timed exclusive on next-gen consoles with the PC version launching with KB/M control.

StuBurns

Banned
It's pretty broad, but it's not far from the truth, Halo was the defining moment in shooters moving primarily to a console audience, and design being dictated by the standard gamepad limitations.

I don't know how people play FPS games with a controller. It is the most clumsy, sluggish, awful control scheme possible.
Yeah using something made for text input combined with something made to move a pointer on a screen that can only be used at a desk is far better.

gurudyne

More proof that it's less important to say something true than it is to say something pointlessly controversial when you have something to sell.

And now nobody plays Halo the way they used to play it before Call of Duty 'cause nobody wants to.

sounds better to me.

Yeah using something made for text input combined with something made to move a pointer on a screen that can only be used at a desk is far better.

all games are moving pointers on a screen though... hence console games using auto aim, and magnetic iron sites.

not sure about the keyboard, but the notion of move cursor over an enemy and clicking isn't that different from moving your mouse pointer over an icon and clicking.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Bungle is full of themselves. Tone down that hype machine there...

Hey. You leave Bungle out of this.

zxQS6CI.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You are wrong Bungie.. Gamers want to hunt around for a level-ending switch!!

Wait, no they don't. Bungie is totally right.

Row

Banned

For aiming quickly and precisely kb/m is much better, but for movement and managing many things at once a controller is far better. In both cases there's no comparison.

I just can't enjoy playing most games with keyboard and mouse (StarCraft is probably the only mouse game I ever got into). Even Doom I played on a game console. Whenever I played PC games I always did it with a game controller and until recently PC game controllers were abysmal.

I get what he is saying about two weapons only. Every shooter does this now and I never thought about this idea coming from Halo. It makes a huge difference in game play and fun of the game limiting you to only two weapons.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I can't even fathom preferring a controller to KBM for shooters, but that's just me.

For aiming quickly and precisely kb/m is much better, but for movement and managing many things at once a controller is far better. In both cases there's no comparison.

I don't know about that. Even with movement, KBM is better for things like precise turnabouts.

Top Bottom