• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best female protagonists

PK Gaming

So on a whim, I decided to think about all of my favorite female protagonists that were main characters in video games. I could only think of like 6, but there's gotta be more right? A google search didn't help, so I figured i'd post a thread to discover more female protagonists from gaffers.

Important: PLEASE only post characters who are the main playable character of said game. Not a playable character, but the main protagonist, the distinction is important for me.

Maya Amano (New favorite)

full-5.jpg

Female Protagonist from Persona 3 Portable

P3p_female_sketch.jpg

Commander Shepard (duh)

images

Princess Peach

I can think of a couple of more, but I only wanted to post a few to get the ball rolling.

Allons-y!!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do the first 2 really count? They're pretty much just an extension of the player. Especially Persona 3's.

(American McGee's) Alice had great VA (I believe it's the only VA work she's actually done outside of theatre) although her lines sometimes seem a little out-of-place. Still a cool protagonist. Not heavily sexualized and not self-consciously AKSHUN GURL either. Just a complex, slightly messed-up human being.

TEJ

faith

she's smart, clever, agile, fast, relies on quick wits to get out of situations rather than brute force, and she does not dress like a stripper.

PK Gaming

Do the first 2 really count? They're pretty much just an extension of the player. Especially Persona 3's.

I honestly don't see a problem with mentioning them.

Even though you choose what they, they still have distinct personalities and established pasts (and it's not you created the character from the ground up in P3's case).

Samus (not including Other M)

Many things made me like the character "Actions define a character", her working alone, being able to maneuver through any security, and those few glimpses of tenderness including interacting with the Baby Metroid and her regret at the end of MP3 for having to fight the corrupted bounty hunters.

Domstercool

I honestly don't see a problem with mentioning them.

Even though you choose what they, they still have distinct personalities and established pasts, and it's not you created the character from the ground up.

OH, if that is the case, then my female character from Saints Row: The Third. :D She was so bad ass!

Taruranto

Maya Amano.

Jennifer

And i'll get a lot of crap for this, but i really like Shion Uzuki. She's a fascinating character study, i always liked how the Takahashi didn't hold back and essentially wrote a character that turned into a "bitch" into the second half of ep. III.

http://odm.xenotensei.com/translations/pg040.txt

However, within relationships to others, it is the case that this kind of
personality goes too far, endlessly searching for new stimulus. Shion is of
this type of condition. The more they act and the more they search, the more
they become unable to be satisfied. In very serious times, they are convinced
that they have been "robbed", and even become as if greedily wanting
everything.

At an unhealthy state such as this, they become self-centered, and in order to
satisfy their own desires, they may even make violent demands from others.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Female Shepard allowed me to play through the Mass Effect games, seriously. I tried with male Shepard at first and got like three hours in and put the game down. Four months later I came back and started a new game as female and realized the reason why I disliked it the first time around is that male Shepard has the personality of a bowl of porridge.

kaioshade

Jade - Beyons Good and Evil
Faith - Mirrors Edge
Samus - Metroid
Nariko - Heavenly Sword
Lara Croft - Tomb Raider
Ayame - Tenchu Kurenai
Nightshade - Nightshade
Nina Williams - Death By Degrees
Chell - Portal
Jill Valentine - Resident Evil
Lightning - Final Fantasy Xiii
Terra - Final Fantasy VI
Nihil - Remember Me
Eriko - Illbleed
Aveline - Assassins Creed 3 Liberation
Tron Bonne - Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Kate Wilson - Hydrophobia
Ayesha - Atelier Ayesha
Totori - Atelier Totori
Rorona - Atelier Rorona
Pretty much every Atelier game
Kat - Gravity Rush
Juliet - Lollipop Chainsaw
Bloodrayne - Bloodrayne

I will probably think of more eventually

XaosWolf

Samus Aran. It doesn't need to even bring up that she's a she, just that Samus is a badass bounty hunter.

Other M was a tragic and nonsensical hiccup.

Also backing up Jade from Beyond Good and Evil and Kat from Gravity Rush as they're both awesome. =D

Midou

April, Longest Journey

vc4fBeS.jpg

Zoe, Dreamfall

xBdX6Qz.jpg

Kate, Syberia

zZX5n9y.jpg

Adventure game female leads are far more developed as strong females than any other genre, but I guess Adventure games have room for stronger narratives.

Lightning Farron !
j/k she is boring as hell.

I agree with all the Pre Other M Samus posts, she is one of the best examples of a strong female protagonists.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
faith

she's smart, clever, agile, fast, relies on quick wits to get out of situations rather than brute force, and she does not dress like a stripper.

Yup, she gets my vote for all those reasons. My all-time favourite who has a substantial single player mod dedicated entirely to her...

Mona_Sax_by_bosley1980.jpg

Does she count...?

Now, if we were talking NPCs though (which we're not), The Boss wins hands down.

kaioshade

Mint - Dewprism
Aya - Parasite Eve
Hitomi Ayana - Another Mind
Maya - Persona 2
Shantae - Shantae
Shanoa - Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Sonia Belmont - Castlevania Legends
Bayonetta - Bayonetta
Momohime - Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Miku - Fatal Frame
Mayu - Fatal Frame 2
Rei - Fatal Frame 3
Ruka - Fatal Frame 4
Lenneth - Valkyrie Profile
Silmeria - Valkyrie Profile 2
Rena - Star Ocean 2

Why is Princess Peach best female protagonist? What possible metric did you use to give her that crown?

Silent Hill 3's Heather for me.

Top Bottom