• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best female protagonists

Cyrano

I think Alyx Vance should be disqualified. Her function in HL2 basically amounts to stroking the player's ego.

And the new Lara Croft seems to me to be pretty weak and vulnerable. I don't personally like such portrayals of women in media.
Who's a favorite of yours?

Aveline Vallen of Dragon Age II is an underrated feminist icon in gaming. It's not her fault she appeared in a mostly crap game.

Av01.png

Aigis is the main protagonist in "The Answer"

She even gets access to the Wild Card ability. Nice

Aigis is a robot.

Lime

Who's a favorite of yours?

Heather from Silent Hill 3 is probably the most well-characterized, believable (read: flawed), realistic teenage girl, somewhat free of and even subverting the normalized harmful gender representations we've seen in video games/media. For that, I think she's a very strong candidate for this thread.

Other candidates would be April Ryan (Longest Journey), Lenneth (Valkyrie Profile), Jeanne D'Arc, Cate Archer (NOLF) or Jade (Beyond Good & Evil).

Cyrano

Heather from Silent Hill 3 is probably the most well-characterized, believable (read: flawed), realistic teenage girl, free of and even subverting the normalized harmful gender representations we've seen in video games/media. For that, I think she's a very strong candidate for this thread.

Other candidates would be April Ryan (Longest Journey), Lenneth (Valkyrie Profile), Jeanne D'Arc, Cate Archer (NOLF) or Jade (Beyond Good & Evil).
Never actually played Silent Hill 3. I might give it a shot if I ever get some free time (I haven't had time to play videogames at all lately. =/ ) Jeanne D'Arc is in my backlog, going to start playing it once I finish Persona 3 Portable (almost finished, but good lord the game is long). I can't nominate Saori Hasegawa from Persona 3 Portable, since she's not a protagonist, but I really liked her characterization in the game.

Lime

Never actually played Silent Hill 3. I might give it a shot if I ever get some free time (I haven't had time to play videogames at all lately. =/ ) Jeanne D'Arc is in my backlog, going to start playing it once I finish Persona 3 Portable (almost finished, but good lord the game is long). I can't nominate Saori Hasegawa from Persona 3 Portable, since she's not a protagonist, but I really liked her characterization in the game.

:lol

If it wasn't for the excessive hours you have to put into games like Persona 3, I would actually start playing them. I just have a hard time becoming invested in something I have no hope of finishing through.

EDIT: Whatever you do, if you ever plan on playing Silent Hill 3, stay away from the HD collection version. It butchers the original work and voice acting.

sleepykyo

PLEASE only post characters who are the main playable character of said game. Not a playable character, but the main protagonist, the distinction is important for me.

Sadfaceokay.jpg. Still 3rd Strike was practically Chun-Li edition when it came to tourneys.

Guess that narrows it down to Heather from SH3 and 2013 Lara Croft.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
And the new Lara Croft seems to me to be pretty weak and vulnerable. I don't personally like such portrayals of women in media.

After she's killed 100's of dudes and told them that she was coming for every last one of them, I'm not sure where you get that impression. The CD PR made it sound that way, but I guess he didn't play the game either.

Cyrano

:lol

If it wasn't for the excessive hours you have to put into games like Persona 3, I would actually start playing them. I just have a hard time becoming invested in something I have no hope of finishing through.

EDIT: Whatever you do, if you ever plan on playing Silent Hill 3, stay away from the HD collection version. It butchers the original work and voice acting.
I will finish it! You'll see! Someday...

LukeTim

I think Alyx Vance should be disqualified. Her function in HL2 basically amounts to stroking the player's ego.

What?

That's the chosen character... Does it matter at all whether it's a man or a woman?

Do you mean you like to see men portrayed as weak and vulnerable?

Lime

After she's killed 100's of dudes and told them that she was coming for every last one of them, I'm not sure where you get that impression. The CD PR made it sound that way, but I guess he didn't play the game either.

I did. Although by the end she has developed into a stronger character (*after* killing thousands of dudes), I still didn't appreciate the way she was depicted in the first half of the game as weak and vulnerable - mostly considering the context of equal male heroes in similar genres not receiving the same treatment. It just reeks of unnecessary differential treatment.

I'm all for character development in video game narratives, but the new Tomb Raider still reinforces the same generic rule that (female) character development should be from helpless and weak to strong and independent (through the player's protection of her from brutal death, torture and punishment). Granted, the marketing may have skewed things a bit in this interpretation, but considering the context of games and the usual characters in this particular action-adventure genre, there are faults with how the new Lara Croft is depicted.

Do you mean you like to see men portrayed as weak and vulnerable?

Yes, that would be pretty cool, actually. Have Nathan Drake be depicted as weak and vulnerable in the beginning and after being sexually felt up by some creepy Russian dude on an island, he turns into the mass-murderer we know him as.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Reyva from Soul Nomad. Mute protagonist, can be female. Becomes quite a badass depending on the path you choose in the game

PK Gaming

No Yuna? I am disappoint. She's one of the best because:

- she's kind hearted, strong, and willing
- she has good intentions
- her summons are badass
- she's pretty too

yuna.jpg

she's pretty much the main character of FFX too.

Aigis is a robot.

She's an android that identifies as a female, and
practically human at the end of FES

Sgblues

Well most of my other favorites were posted already so adding Shanoa.
OoE_Shanoa.jpg

One of the few female Castlevania protagonists, most other female characters are deuteragonists(secondary main characters) or damsels in distress.

botty

Banned
Aqua - Kingdom Hearts series

avbIhig.png

She first appeared in Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, which was a game plagued with horrible characters and shoe horned plot elements. However, she managed to not only escape the poor writing choices, but also out shine almost every female video game character ever created. Aqua's design, personality, and story arc set her up to be a really great female character, but she seems to be under rated for some reason.

Her appearance manages to be feminine without being overly sexualized—like with most other female protagonist. Her outfit is draped, like you would expect from most Mage-class characters, but it isn't generic; having sleeves similar to her master's outfit, and hints of a corset. Even if there are people who enjoy female protagonist which are sexualized, Aqua does still have a very apparent female form, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Samus (without Armor), that robot girl who shakes her ass, etc... are a lot worse than Aqua in this regard.

Aqua as a character is very multi-dimensional: She's obedient, yet not afraid to rebel if she needs to; friendly, but also maternal to her friends; and goal oriented, but doesn't let her desires consume her. Some might take this as Aqua being a "mary-sue," but on the contrary, Aqua makes plenty of mistakes along her journey. These mistakes aren't nearly as contrived or idiotic as the mistakes her friends make, but she does make them. Going back to Aqua being obedient, it may sound bad, but she is a student after all... and at least she isn't as obedient as Samus.

Then we have Aqua's story arc, which was clearly the highlight of Birth By Sleep. Even the developers must have agreed since Aqua is the only character of the three playable characters to get an
extended chapter, and additional chapter in the final mix
. I would talk about it, but that would require spoils. So I just suggest everyone go out and play it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Well most of my other favorites were posted already so adding Shanoa.
OoE_Shanoa.jpg

One of the few female Castlevania protagonists, most other female characters are deuteragonists(secondary main characters) or damsels in distress.

If only they made a Castlevania Game with HD sprites that looked near that art work.
face-melt-o.gif

I'll also add Carrie from Castlevania 64.

PK Gaming

I will never forgive myself for forgetting Aqua

Aqua is awesome. She's actually the only character in BBS that isn't a freaking idiot AND she gets shit done(usually by cleaning up the mess caused by her friends).

Myriadis

I agree with Samus, Chell, Kate and Faith.

resonance-of-fate-2z9pzp.jpg

Leanne from Resonance of Fate.
Because "Guys don't make passes at girls who kick asses".

And some not mentioned before (I think)
35699c6f6c561bfbe922580uf2.jpg

Virginia Maxwell from Wild Arms 3, leader of the group and while getting some negative experiences, manages to stay optimistic.

tumblr_lynj18qrbw1qi0woqij.jpg

Marina from Mischief Makers (for a lack of a better pic I used some fanart, but no one cares anyway).
Because she can catch bullets, shake them and send them back to sender. She's also able to send horny old men into other galaxies.

botty

Banned

I will never forgive myself for forgetting Aqua

Aqua is awesome. She's actually the only character in BBS that isn't a freaking idiot AND she gets shit done(usually by cleaning up the mess caused by her friends).

She is really under rated as a female character. Most people will forget her (or probably don't even know her) because she isn't overly sexualized or a 100% badass-all-the-time character, both of which give instant gratification. This isn't always a bad thing, though. Bayonetta is a really great and fun character, but don't expect any character development or depth from her.

inm8num2

April, Longest Journey

vc4fBeS.jpg

Zoe, Dreamfall

xBdX6Qz.jpg

Kate, Syberia

zZX5n9y.jpg

Adventure game female leads are far more developed as strong females than any other genre, but I guess Adventure games have room for stronger narratives.

This post wins the thread.

Aqua - Kingdom Hearts series

avbIhig.png

She first appeared in Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, which was a game plagued with horrible characters and shoe horned plot elements. However, she managed to not only escape the poor writing choices, but also out shine almost every female video game character ever created. Aqua's design, personality, and story arc set her up to be a really great female character, but she seems to be under rated for some reason.

Her appearance manages to be feminine without being overly sexualized—like with most other female protagonist. Her outfit is draped, like you would expect from most Mage-class characters, but it isn't generic; having sleeves similar to her master's outfit, and hints of a corset. Even if there are people who enjoy female protagonist which are sexualized, Aqua does still have a very apparent female form, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Samus (without Armor), that robot girl who shakes her ass, etc... are a lot worse than Aqua in this regard.

Aqua as a character is very multi-dimensional: She's obedient, yet not afraid to rebel if she needs to; friendly, but also maternal to her friends; and goal oriented, but doesn't let her desires consume her. Some might take this as Aqua being a "mary-sue," but on the contrary, Aqua makes plenty of mistakes along her journey. These mistakes aren't nearly as contrived or idiotic as the mistakes her friends make, but she does make them. Going back to Aqua being obedient, it may sound bad, but she is a student after all... and at least she isn't as obedient as Samus.

Then we have Aqua's story arc, which was clearly the highlight of Birth By Sleep. Even the developers must have agreed since Aqua is the only character of the three playable characters to get an
extended chapter, and additional chapter in the final mix
. I would talk about it, but that would require spoils. So I just suggest everyone go out and play it.

I can't believe I forgot the only useful female character in the entire Kingdom Hearts Franchise. Aqua was everything Lightning tried to be.

Het_Nkik

A9yNBkq.png

Alis Landale (Phantasy Star)
This is probably the earliest zero-sexualized, 100% competent female protag I've seen a game. And I'm pretty sure it's because a woman was heavily involved with the character creation and planning of the game. She saves the big, burly dude, not the other way around.

YKIao1e.gif

Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)
She kicks ass in a mini skirt. I can't help it. I'm sorry.

SbrKQO9.jpg

Ulala (Space Channel 5)
She dances at people to fight/save them. Well, I guess she also chu chu chus.

B0iWOSl.jpg

Claire Redfield (Resident Evil)
She was whatever in RE2 but I effing loved her in CODE: Veronica.

OlqN93v.jpg

Alice Liddell (American McGee's Alice)
I like that she knows she's crazy and deals with her craziness in a calm and controlled manner. At least in her head.

7nmN4fk.png

Amaterasu (Okami)
She's just all around chill. It's a good personality to have.

FfTGzu4.jpg

Momohime (Muramasa)
Does this count? She's actually possessed by a male demon. I mostly just like her for the awesome character design so I guess it counts.

rVk4J6l.jpg

Yunica Tovah (Ys)
I wish she didn't get so down on herself since she's so badass, but it does make her more relatable. I love how much she loves the goddesses.

caZqY2b.jpg
M7g7LQP.jpg

Akira Kazama (Rival Schools)
Ahhhhh! She's just so fucking cool. When I first saw her in her motorcycle getup I was like, "Ahhhh! She's so fucking cool." And then when I saw her underneath she got even cooler because she wasn't all madeup and sexy and stuff. She's very plain looking and I love that about her. Also she's super fun to play as.

3DrLe5S.gif

King (King of Fighters)
I just love how cool she is and her playstyle.

YyMlOHm.gif

Athena Asamiya (King of Fighters)
I don't know what it is about Athena. I'm not very good with her. I think maybe she just strikes that perfect balance of cute but not too cute? Or maybe it's because she reminds me of Phoebe Cates

There are also a bunch of female protagonists where I LOVE the games they're in (Samus, Jill from Drill Dozer, Jill Valentine, Jade from BG&E, Joanna Dark, etc.), but I just don't feel particularly strongly about the characters themselves.

botty

Banned
I can't believe I forgot the only useful female character in the entire Kingdom Hearts Franchise. Aqua was everything Lightning tried to be.

And so much more. Especially when you consider Lightning was and is meant to be nothing more than a reductive version of Cloud. Meanwhile, Aqua is her own character.

LuuKyK

She is coming...

And she has arrived to claim her thr
one
ead...

Lightning, the Empress of Valhalla and All Realms, The Farron Goddess, Former Best Soldier of Cocoon, Owner of the Worst Birthday Ever, Slayer of Pretender Final Fantasy Main Characters, Soon to be Savior of the World, and Bhunivelze BFF. She will always be there to cleanse all the ill and impurity of the inferior beings. Thus the reason why she must be the only one able to claim the title of best female protagonist till this day.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Serah, FFXIII-2!

edit: Wow, my post, the post before this and the post before that = Mind blown.

Top Bottom