• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going forward God of War needs to start using free roam camera

Endo Punk

It's Sony's second best selling franchise on the PS3 but it's also the most stagnant. The games really feel old school in their execution and I guess there are two ways to look at it; the games stand the test of time but also are behind the times. By that I mean GOW1 is just as enjoyable as it was in 2005 but the same formula done over 8 years is wearing thin. To me linearity is not the problem but the static camera, it's not doing it for me anymore and is just holding the franchise back at this point.

Now I recently played MGS3 in the HD collection and having never played Subsistence on the PS2 I was really surprised how much better the game when you have full control of the camera. Of course I did experience that in MGS4 and it drastically improves stealth play because you don't have to constantly go in first person view to see whats ahead. I actually enjoyed the Fury fight because of the free roam camera this time.

Anyway what I'm getting at is that SSM needs to stop using the excuse that fixed camera makes the game "cinematic", it doesn't it feels archaic and as long as GOW continues using it I don't care for what Gods they fight next it will be the same dated game all over again.

Maybe Im wrong and fixed camera has a place in AAA production games. What do GAFolks have to say? It's not like I mind it I mean I do play PS1 games like Fear Effect and Dino Crisis often but I expect that from late 90's games but for a 2013 and beyond it's dated and negates all the positives. It's one thing to pull off amazing things when you rob gamers from "controlling" the game and it's another to pull off amazing shit and let you take full control like ND have successfully done with UC, and without affecting the cinematic appeal.

Hmm, SSM maybe Sony's go to studio for co-development with other developers but I think SSM needs to take some lessons from ND.

BadWolf

They do it because otherwise they wouldn't be able to make the games look this good, it helps with technical limitations.

GenericUser

whats wrong with a fixed camera? I think it help to keep myself focused on the action instead of fiddeling around with the camera controls.

Mario007

No, the fixed camera allows for the graphics of those games to be fucking mindblowing as the game shows you only what it wants you to see.

But the more important reason is that using Right Analog as dodge just makes the combat very, very fluid. In comparison on PSP where you have to press a combination of buttons to dodge it isn't nearly as fluid and easy to do.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I would LOVE if they would take the series in a more puzzle-based direction. A bit tired of the repetitive combat myself.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It is fine the way it is. What exactly would a free control camera do for the series? I don't see the benefit, other than making it more difficikt to roll out of danger.

Also, comparisons with mgs3 is not valid imo. You were constantly hindered there by the over the top camera. Not so In God of war.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I would really bet that Jaffe, Barlog, Stig, and Papy all think that the camera not being in your control is a design philosophy virtue aside from the technical benefits. GoW stands out among the 3D action game genre because the camera isn't crap (Ascension complaints aside, which I do happen to agree with). Why would you want the camera to get in the way of the action like it invariably does in every other action game?

How is a camera style "archaic"? Are we just using this word to describe things we don't like now?

Nah, they just need to have one that isn't shitty like in Ascension. There's no reason the camera should pull so far out you can't see Kratos.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Absolutely not. The camera is the best part of the game and all other action games suffer from terribly wonky controllable cameras.

Granted, there were several spots in Ascension where the camera was terribly designed. Few and far between on this series.

Loofy

I like the camera, it reminds me of an old school brawler rather than a DMC clone. Come to think of it I hate the camera in DMC.

Endo Punk

Most developers are doing great pushing graphics without sacrificing camera control. SSM are considered wizards around here and you guys are telling me they will not find a way around this problem? Come on! Sometimes design philosophies need to be challenged in order to push a franchise forward right now that needs to happen with GOW.

How about not going forward with GOW at all? It's a great series but it's done. They did their usual trilogy plus a prequel thing that a lot of series do. There's nothing left for kratos. Either get a new story with a similar theme or a new IP all together.

Endo Punk

I agree. I hate that the right stick is a roll. I need to be able to look around and actually see my environment.

Absolutely. They create these amazing landscapes and dictate to gamers where they can look. Needs to change ASAP.

but then how would they zoom in to all your cinematic kills in those unique angles

Well, UC still has those cinematic angles and camera pans but still gives gamers full control. Maybe SSM should ask them next door?

Going forward they should probably make something other than God of War games.

How about not going forward with GOW at all? It's a great series but it's done. They did their usual trilogy plus a prequel thing that a lot of series do. There's nothing left for kratos. Either get a new story with a similar theme or a new IP all together.

It makes the money so Sony wont retire it anytime soon.

Well the camera was never much of problem in GoW games...until Ascension. The constant zooming out and pans definitely impeded gameplay at points.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Most developers are doing great pushing graphics without sacrificing camera control. SSM are considered wizards around here and you guys are telling me they will not find a way around this problem? Come on! Sometimes design philosophies need to be challenged in order to push a franchise forward right now that needs to happen with GOW.

I've played way too many action games to know that the GOW series has the best camera implementation for the game it wants to be.

You know a camera is good when you don't even notice it. It's good 99% of the time in GOW games.

No it doesn't, and it won't. It could perhaps do with being a bit more dynamic and zooming out occasionally to prevent off-screen attacks, but you rarely encounter enemies in GoW who are capable of harming you from distance anyway

Izick

The camera being fixed is fine to me. They can make it better by preventing more off-screen surprise attacks, but fixed isn't bad.

BadAss2961

Most people don't consider it a problem though.

I like it. It's part of God of War's identity at this point. Better graphics, and frees up the right stick for evade moves.

Manu

Nah, they just need to change the setting and the combat significantly.

Keep the camera and set pieces. They're a big part of the God of War experience.

I love the fixed camera. It's one of the few premier action games where the camera ISN'T bad, 'cept for Absolution when they zoom out waaaaaay too far and the colors start to blend in together.

Thorakai

Never had a problem with the camera. I did have a problem with the past two games being wayy too dark to be able to enjoy any of the indoor scenery.

Zemm

GoW going forward? They should let the series die and build another franchise on the PS4. There's nothing left apart from different mythology's and you know they'll try and shoehorn Kratos into Egypt or something, ugh.

With the power of the PS4, they shouldn't need to take control away to hide the technical limitations, but yes the combat needs work the most although hopefully the series is taking a break.

This doesn't even make sense. The games are designed around the fixed camera, so there's no need to spin the it. lol

I don't know it kinds of takes me out of the game a little when I want to change the camera angle a bit and am stuck in the same position.

I'd personally like if Sony Santa Monica would drop the Greek/Roman Pantheon and moved on to something else.. there are many really cool mythologies/religions/pantheons.

I'd really like to see a Viking god of war.. with Odin and his ten-legged goats.

No OP, You are wrong. GOW's cam is fine, it does not need to be changed.

Now, I agree the next God of War game will need a lot of fresh ideas because Ascension was really a bland game. Not a bad one but not a great one either. PS4 grade graphics won't be enough...

Endo Punk

Then why are SSM put on a pedestal when the only reason they can pull off these visuals and such is down to the fixed camera?
Dare I say SSM are actually quite overrated :eek:

Mik_Pad

Banned
No, The camera is perfect and I love to be able to dodge with the right stick, the only thing "wrong" with it is when it pulls back too much but they do it to show you the scale and it only happens a few times per game.

Top Bottom