• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going forward God of War needs to start using free roam camera

RedSwirl

The God of War games are pretty much designed around having a fixed camera. A lot of the puzzles depend on it, and so does the combat. You wouldn't be able to see as many enemies or move around the same way with a free-roam camera.

In a lot of ways, God of War is actually a classic-style adventure game, just with a lot more combat thrown in. In that way it's not all that different from old school Resident Evil. I mean, they could probably do a GOW game with a fixed camera, but everything else would have to be redesigned around that. The combat, puzzles, graphics, and environments would be totally different.

MGS3 Subsistence works so well with a free-roam camera because MGS3 was designed like a modern 3D stealth game unlike its predecessors. In the original version of MGS3 the fixed camera was actually a drag on the gameplay. On the other hand, MGS1 or MGS2 would probably be broken by a free-roam camera because they were pretty much designed the same way as the old MSX games.

Agree, many many many times I wanted to look around, or see something from a different angel, but couldn't cause the camera was fixed, I get how amazing the game looks with a fixed camera, but they should be able to do such things without fixed cameras as well.

Give Darksiders & Darksiders II a try.

I just got Darksiders on PS+ a few months ago...haven't gotten around to trying it out yet, but I've heard good things. :)

oVerde

Banned
Just take in mind how many bad free roam games cams exists and how many good games with fixed game are on the wild.

LastNac

Then why are SSM put on a pedestal when the only reason they can pull off these visuals and such is down to the fixed camera?
Dare I say SSM are actually quite overrated :eek:

tumblr_m4wissQsQl1qmr8zj.gif

Stop. You've said enough.

Instro

Depends how the combat system is designed, and it also allows for a more clear translation of the art to the screen. There's nothing inherently wrong with a fixed camera if the game design is appropriate.

Personally, I'd rather see a next gen God of War as a complete reboot with a different protagonist. The Greek mythology setting is more interesting than Kratos to me anyways, and it'd be fun to see what they can do with a completely new character and story without having to deal with all of the Kratos baggage.

I just got Darksiders on PS+ a few months ago...haven't gotten around to trying it out yet, but I've heard good things. :)

it's kinda what you are asking forward, especially Darksiders 2, go play it, you will spend a good time, again Darksiders 2 is kinda alot bigger than Darksiders 1, so give it a try as well.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
As a GoW fan who's been here since day one I don't have a problem with the camera at all. The only time in this series that I even thought about it was during Ascensions. The camera was panned waaaay too far out in that game some times. Some times I couldn't even tell what the fuck was going on.

Fuck no. The terrible camera in Rising made me long for GoW's style, where the camera isn't the most dangerous threat in the game. There were a couple of scenes where it pulls out ridiculously far but you're usually just beating up weak mooks during those moments, it's never a big issue.

Darknight

With the power of the PS4, they shouldn't need to take control away to hide the technical limitations, but yes the combat needs work the most although hopefully the series is taking a break.

I don't know it kinds of takes me out of the game a little when I want to change the camera angle a bit and am stuck in the same position.

Im not sure its just due to technical limitations. For instance, on a Boss battle, the camera pans out to show the immense battle taking place such as the Kronos fight. Or when you enter an area and the camera pulls back to show the large levels you are in. (love how they do this, shows Kratos as a tiny little thing in a God like setting)

If you have a free roaming camera, all that would be gone.

It's not like they just stuck the camera in a bunch of spots so they can lower their polycount. The cameras look AWESOME, in awesome places, and follow awesome paths. Have you seen the amount of work that goes into the cameras in the credits? Take a look at someone playing 90% of other similar hack n slash games. It's probably not a pleasing image when you look at most frames, compositionally, whereas games with well done (but un-controllable) cameras, they usually look great.

The MGS3 argument is kind of apples and oranges, because seeing ahead and looking at every little thing is hugely important in a stealth game like that (and with aim as well). but in GoW, its just not. theres like a moment here and there where it may have helped to see things a certain way, but not often enough to sacrifice the rest of the game looking completely awesome, just so the gameplay can feel a tad better.

Withnail

The camera isn't fixed, its just not under player control. There's a huge difference. The camera is fully dynamic and it pans and zooms automatically according to the actions of the player.

Second, their camera system doesn't make it easier to have good graphics lol. This is just some nonsense spewed by console warriors. If you play a GOW game you can see that the environments are fully modelled.

AGITΩ

a while ago I actually bought the God of War Saga, first time ever playing the series, but the fixed camera angles and the use for the right stick just threw me off. Especially when Kratos can be looking RIGHT AT a treasure chest, but because my dumb ass didn't move every which a way, I got screwed over.

Melchiah

No, the fixed camera allows for the graphics of those games to be fucking mindblowing as the game shows you only what it wants you to see.

But the more important reason is that using Right Analog as dodge just makes the combat very, very fluid. In comparison on PSP where you have to press a combination of buttons to dodge it isn't nearly as fluid and easy to do.

I totally agree, and hope they stick with fixed angles for the sake of dodging, and I really want to see what they can achieve on PS4 with that method.

Completely disagree. The fixed camera allows for the fantastic cinematic look the developers aim for, it also allows the graphics to be as spectacular as they are. Most games use free cameras these days so it's an aspect of GOW I appreciate and enjoy. Really makes some of the action thrilling to watch even if you're watching someone else play.

I say no to free roaming camera

because I don't want to be a camera man in my 3rd person games

Completely disagree. The fixed camera allows for the fantastic cinematic look the developers aim for, it also allows the graphics to be as spectacular as they are. Most games use free cameras these days so it's an aspect of GOW I appreciate and enjoy. Really makes some of the action thrilling to watch even if you're watching someone else play.

this ^, well said. Of corse, you have an Orta avatar ;)

Synless

I've played way too many action games to know that the GOW series has the best camera implementation for the game it wants to be.

You know a camera is good when you don't even notice it. It's good 99% of the time in GOW games.
I couldn't have said it better.

Afrikan

A google search indicates the camera is scripted rather than fixed according to the director of technology and has a negligible impact on the graphics (I assume) because they can't make many assumptions.

https://twitter.com/ChristerEricson

That is what I remember reading about for GOW3.

has it changed for GOW:A? someone posted earlier that in the behind the scenes feature, they state that. Is that true? I haven't played GOW:A yet.

edit- not that it matters to me, I love their approach.

Jarate

Banned
Are people seriously defending a fixed camera angle in an action game. Really?

God of Wars combat is pretty much a joke anyway so I guess it doesnt matter.

A proper 3d action game needs a free camera though

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Nope. A fixed camera in the God of War games is as much of a trademark of the series as the Blades of Chaos.

I enjoy the cinematic, dramatic panoramas. It'd be one thing if the camera angles sucked, but they have never hindered game play. For example, I had more trouble playing Ninja Gaiden (original, Black, and Sigma), than I ever did playing GoW, and most of that was because of the camera.

EDIT: Oh, and hey, a typical God of War combat sucks comment. The thread is now complete.

Jarate

Banned
Nope. A fixed camera in the God of War games is as much of a trademark of the series as the Blades of Chaos.

I enjoy the cinematic, dramatic panoramas. It'd be one thing if the camera angles sucked, but they have never hindered game play. For example, I had more trouble playing Ninja Gaiden (original, Black, and Sigma), than I ever did playing GoW, and most of that was because of the camera.

EDIT: Oh, and hey, a typical God of War combat sucks comment. The thread is now complete.

Yes, pressing a single button repeatedly is super fun.

Fixed. This franchise has become mind-numbingly stagnant.

Indeed. The formula has done well, but Ascension was the first GoW game I had to force myself to finish. The story just wasn't as interesting to me, it being a prequel and all, and the gameplay is much too familiar at this point. I know people complain about Call of Duty being stale, but it's not that only offender.

Afrikan

I love scenes, like when Kratos squeezes in between rocks, in GOW3... cave level, you get to see how detailed the environment and Kratos are. The camera follows him, as if you are right there following him.

flippedb

Banned
Going forward, God of War needs to disappear. It's been the same thing since the first game, enough already. Same with Uncharted. Please stop it.

GoW is a crap series that hasn't evolved from the original even with 6 fucking games under its belt.

The camera is the least of its problems (which I don't think is actually a problem either).

Artorias

Banned
AGITΩ;56913778 said:
a while ago I actually bought the God of War Saga, first time ever playing the series, but the fixed camera angles and the use for the right stick just threw me off. Especially when Kratos can be looking RIGHT AT a treasure chest, but because my dumb ass didn't move every which a way, I got screwed over.

There was a thread about this at some point. It's honestly pretty hilarious. Do you think Kratos should turn to the camera and explain that there is a chest around the corner?

It works like every other action game with stuff to grab. Find the correct direction, and ignore it until you've gone everywhere else.

Artorias

Banned
Tell me how im playing the game wrong. Im honestly curious, I havent played GOW since GOW1 so im curious if the gameplay has changed a lot

I don't think anyone will claim its super deep, but why would you even want to play that way? Your highest combo would be what, a dozen hits or so?

Not that your opinion is even close to valid, considering you've played 1 of the six games.

I love scenes, like when Kratos squeezes in between rocks, in GOW3... cave level, you get to see how detailed the environment and Kratos are. The camera follows him, as if you are right there following him.

I love grandiose parts like in GOW1 when he walk ontop of Athena's Sword for the first time and the camera pulls back to show you the grand scale of the vista.

Afrikan

hahaha so much hate in this thread.

if you hate the series, why be so vocal? especially if you feel it is a crap series since the first game?

I loved COD4...did not like the rest in the series. Instead of bitching, I moved on to other games of the same genre. I don't go into COD threads slamming the game calling it a "crap" series, because OBVIOUSLY there are Millions who STILL like the series.

GOW still sales a ton, so obviously it is not considered a "crap" series to the publisher and devs.

or those who want to change the series drastically, well that is one reason I personally have not bought GOW:A I heard and read it played different than the usual GOW series, little things like game mechanics. So I missed out on it during launch, but will give it a chance down the road. So imagine if they drastically changed things, just to appease the few vocal crowd.

for me, I don't care if it plays the same... I just want Amazing graphics, sounds, and adventure. PS4? yes give me GOW again with EVEN MORE Amazing Graphics, sounds, and adventure.

Top Bottom