• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Taobao also accepts international credit cards (I think they add 3% or 5% service charge) this can be an option. You just enter their address for shipping. You can also try setting up an account at Amazon.cn, it should also take international credit cards. You just enter their address for shipping

Awesome. Those could work. Thanks.

WoodWERD

I just bought something off Tabao with a Visa and had no problems, no fees either. Speaking of which, I need to figure out how to get them to waive the ID requirement so I can use my local bank card.

The M.O.B

I have only just started looking at these teaching abroad jobs this month but have become quite interested in trying it. I recently had an awesome 3 Week vacation through Indonesia and wouldn't mind working/living there for a 1 year contract or so. Nothing is really tying me down here in the states except Uni so I was thinking why not. If anyone has experience with working in a country like Indonesia could you provide some insight? I imagine the requirements and expectations are similar to other SE Asian countries.

Still at least a year away from my bachelor's.

GeekyDad

I just bought something off Tabao with a Visa and had no problems, no fees either. Speaking of which, I need to figure out how to get them to waive the ID requirement so I can use my local bank card.

So, I notice there's an English version of Taobao, but the product selection seems very limited. Just clothes, really. Is it better to just use the Chinese site and Google translate?

So, I notice there's an English version of Taobao, but the product selection seems very limited. Just clothes, really. Is it better to just use the Chinese site and Google translate?

I don't think that's so much an English version of Taobao as it is more of a separate agency that makes money by helping English-speaking users buy stuff on Taobao. You're definitely better off using the actual site. Google translate might be enough, but you'd be better off asking a Chinese friend you can trust to lend you a hand.

You really should send it to some chinese and ask him/her to send it to you.

Often if you try to ship it to outside of China Chinese want to earn quite some money by giving you fake shipping costs.

sasimirobot

I should make an instructional video on how to use Taobao. I consider myself semi-pro at it by now and have never ever had a problem with fake items or refunds. It does help to use Chinese though, I have never tried to google translate the page but I have seen somebody do it and it made little sense. As in you get shit like "moon pant deliver cups" more often than not...

Indonesia sounds good, but as one of the poorest countries in SE I have to wonder how well teacher would pay there?

We are looking for new teachers starting next term (March 2015), so if anyone is interested PM or post here. We do offer Work Visas so we really need someone who can commit a few months early so we can start the paper-work.

GeekyDad

I don't think that's so much an English version of Taobao as it is more of a separate agency that makes money by helping English-speaking users buy stuff on Taobao. You're definitely better off using the actual site. Google translate might be enough, but you'd be better off asking a Chinese friend you can trust to lend you a hand.

Yeah, I see your point. How about a safe way to merely send money or buy some type of gift card. Also, where do parent typically shop for toys in a place like Xi'an? I mean, I doubt there's a Toys R Us, right? :p

I should make an instructional video on how to use Taobao. I consider myself semi-pro at it by now and have never ever had a problem with fake items or refunds. It does help to use Chinese though, I have never tried to google translate the page but I have seen somebody do it and it made little sense. As in you get shit like "moon pant deliver cups" more often than not...

Indonesia sounds good, but as one of the poorest countries in SE I have to wonder how well teacher would pay there?

We are looking for new teachers starting next term (March 2015), so if anyone is interested PM or post here. We do offer Work Visas so we really need someone who can commit a few months early so we can start the paper-work.

A Taobao instructional video would be the most amazing thing. You'd be helping so many people!

Also, where is your school located?

When I lived there, the local convenience store owner would order things off taobao for me and I'd give him a 10元 service fee. It was a lot simpler than trying to navigate the website and deal with my credit card. But, I didn't shop off that site that often.

Yeah, I see your point. How about a safe way to merely send money or buy some type of gift card. Also, where do parent typically shop for toys in a place like Xi'an? I mean, I doubt there's a Toys R Us, right? :p

Actually there is always a Toys R Us in big cities. I guess Xi an also has one.

So I'm on a plane to Shanghai in just a few hours, then onward to Hangzhou! I want some clever thread title ideas for the ChinaGAF OT! Then we can stop cluttering up this thread with our random China talk.

Speaking of which, a couple questions for the more seasoned members of China GAF: First, has anyone found a better way to transfer money to an overseas bank account from a Chinese bank account instead of going through all their bullshit fees and paperwork? Can AliPay do this, for instance? Second, think I'll be able to find a trustworthy seller for an American Wii U on taobao?

sasimirobot

So I'm on a plane to Shanghai in just a few hours, then onward to Hangzhou! I want some clever thread title ideas for the ChinaGAF OT! Then we can stop cluttering up this thread with our random China talk.

Speaking of which, a couple questions for the more seasoned members of China GAF: First, has anyone found a better way to transfer money to an overseas bank account from a Chinese bank account instead of going through all their bullshit fees and paperwork? Can AliPay do this, for instance? Second, think I'll be able to find a trustworthy seller for an American Wii U on taobao?

How much money you talking about? And yes, I bought a wii u on taobao no problems, you want the sellers taobao
link? I'm in hk now with a stupid tablet, will post later when I can use a real keyboard

How much money you talking about? And yes, I bought a wii u on taobao no problems, you want the sellers taobao
link? I'm in hk now with a stupid tablet, will post later when I can use a real keyboard

Not a huge amount. 1000-2000 RMB a month, maybe. As for the taobao link, sure.

Also: do I need mod approval beforehand to make an OT?

WoodWERD

I don't have firsthand experience with this, but I've read elsewhere that some branches of Bank of China offer a 'demand draft' service, which is like an official check. Apparently the checks are drawn from the US-based BoC branch (or affiliate?), so assuming you have the mobile deposit ability with your US bank via your phone/laptop you can go that route. You just pay the fee for the official check. Others have set up a Chinese paypal and transfer to their US account that way, but I don't know the fees there either.

numble

I know that Hong Kong Citibanks can transfer to US Citibanks under the same name free of charge, maybe it's the same with PRC Citibanks. Don't know if there are any in Hangzhou.

sasimirobot

Here is the link to a taobao game shop I have used in the past, no problems

http://shop101925317.taobao.com/shop/view_shop.htm?spm=a1z09.2.9.90.iC1r9c&user_number_id=54958985

And here is a link to a clothing shop with Western sizes and brand names (all legit) that I have used for over 3 years no problems

http://wishfree.taobao.com/shop/view_shop.htm?spm=a1z09.2.9.6.GW4r56&user_number_id=65959031

And finally here is a link to the ad for a teaching position with our school if anyone is interested...

http://www.shenzhenparty.com/jobs/e...r-11000rmb-month-2-months-paid-holiday-guaran

sasimirobot

Which websites do you guys use to look for jobs in China?

Its been posted before but some good ones to check:

http://www.eslcafe.com/

http://seriousteachers.com/

http://www.echinacities.com/

http://www.shenzhenparty.com/

But to tell you the truth at this point I have people begging me to fill positions all over china and I can't. The market is so good for teachers right now, just show up with a tourist visa and a backpack. 2 arms, speak English? check. Job in 10 minutes...

Blablurn

Its been posted before but some good ones to check:

http://www.eslcafe.com/

http://seriousteachers.com/

http://www.echinacities.com/

http://www.shenzhenparty.com/

But to tell you the truth at this point I have people begging me to fill positions all over china and I can't. The market is so good for teachers right now, just show up with a tourist visa and a backpack. 2 arms, speak English? check. Job in 10 minutes...

What about German :3

My English is pretty good too but unfortunately I don't have the required passport.

morch

Looks like a good job! My school I'm doing visa with has said they can now apply for my permit, but they prefer me to go to a different branch in Zhucheng, 1 hour from Qingdao. Rather than Kunming.

Also I'll be teaching high school science and maths

I'm not entirely sure what to say at the moment to them right now, since my heart was comfortable with Kunming.

Anyone know zhucheng?

sohois

Which websites do you guys use to look for jobs in China?

Bla, if you want a job in China then I don't think English teaching or indeed any kind of teaching is what you're after.

For more general chinese opportunities, there are a number of options. You can try Chinese job sites - which I presume won't be a problem to navigate as you speak Mandarin - such as 51job or Liepin. However, chances are most of the positions on these sites will be for natives. Still worth a try

Another good option, and one I have recommended in the past for teachers, is to try more localized websites, such as Shanghai and Beijing listing websites. You never know what you might find on Craigslist, though your best bet would be somewhere like TheBeijinger or ShanghaiExpat. I've noticed that: https://www.careerengine.org/shanghaiexpat/ tends to have a lot of more serious expat jobs listed.

A particularly good option is to just search LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/job/jobs-in-china/ appears to have loads of possible positions. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for from one of these

SolKane

Any chance of getting into a decent program (like EPIK or JET) for someone who graduated with a Linguistics degree? I have some minor ESL teaching experience but nothing long term or full time, and do not have an ESL certificate.

How necessary is it to have an ESL certificate for someone looking to teach? I have a full time job currently and it looks like a lot of the programs (ex: Cambridge's CELTA cert) are full time and might be a problem for me in my current position.

Any chance of getting into a decent program (like EPIK or JET) for someone who graduated with a Linguistics degree? I have some minor ESL teaching experience but nothing long term or full time, and do not have an ESL certificate.

The only requirements for EPIK and JET, and the programs like them is a BA. That's it. The rest is just convincing the people who hire that you are a good candidate, they let it in tons of people who are not apparently lol.

Either way, I'd say you have a better shot on paper at least than most of the usual applicants like myself who lack all those things. Pretty much just need to have an interest in going, not look like an idiot when you apply, and not show any signs that you are going to have a mental break down if they pick you.

sasimirobot

Holy shit! Landed an interview with a school that wants to pay me 25,000RMB/month teaching kindergarten. I think I got this seeing as I have over 4 years experience with doing that here in China. Dems western paychecks, wow...

Does anyone have any experience applying and teaching for the Peace Corps? I'm especially curious about the exit options, in particular how it fits with school applications. It's still early but when I finish my term at the Asian Development Bank in 2016, I think I'd like to work for two more years before going on to law and business schools.

edit: I mean Peace Corps in China since I know Mandarin but I'd love to hear about experiences in other countries as well.

numble

Does anyone have any experience applying and teaching for the Peace Corps? I'm especially curious about the exit options, in particular how it fits with school applications. It's still early but when I finish my term at the Asian Development Bank in 2016, I think I'd like to work for two more years before going on to law and business schools.

Peace Corps should generally do well for at least law school. You would want to get your LSAT out of the way beforehand.

And go to the hospital if you ever feel bad (edit: even more relevant since you are considering Peace Corps in China):
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/26/world/asia/peace-corps-death-china-medical-missteps.html?_r=0

On the other hand, Peter Hessler has done well after being in the Peace Corps in China:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hessler

Thanks very much for the information and, yeah, I'll certainly heed that warning!

I've been sitting on my LSAT for two years now so if I do Peace Corps, I'll likely have to apply during my first year and then defer an acceptance before it expires. Anyway, thanks again for the insight; I've been feeling more and more enticed by this avenue so I'll be a thread resident.

Holy shit! Landed an interview with a school that wants to pay me 25,000RMB/month teaching kindergarten. I think I got this seeing as I have over 4 years experience with doing that here in China. Dems western paychecks, wow...

I would be wary of this.

Often they show "We are paying that much". In the end they try to tell you "This is for highly educated people that worked for several years. 4 years isnt really that much in China. Would love to hear your story, but I can guess they will tell you "We can give you 15.000"

Wanace

Good luck. I don't think 25k would be enough for me to teach kindergarten in China again. Depends on the hours and location, I guess.

sasimirobot

I would be wary of this.

Often they show "We are paying that much". In the end they try to tell you "This is for highly educated people that worked for several years. 4 years isnt really that much in China. Would love to hear your story, but I can guess they will tell you "We can give you 15.000"

It's legit, school has been open for 15 years, an IB accredited international school kindergarten -through high school complex. My gf knows friends that work there. It's about if I want to make the move. Wish me luck!

Just sent out my application for JET. Hate the way theirs is set up, and feels like there just is no way to give enough information about yourself.

Either way really praying I get it, filled out and wrote everything the best I could. But still feel like I will not even get an interview :( I know I should not think that way but.... yeah. -figerscrossed- I guess.

WoodWERD

Any of you guys bring a NA console with you overseas? Thinking of grabbing a PS4 next month while I'm back in town for my sister's wedding, but my connection might be too crappy to play online in China. Might just take my Dreamcast instead....haven't touched a console for over a year :eek:

Any of you guys bring a NA console with you overseas? Thinking of grabbing a PS4 next month while I'm back in town for my sister's wedding, but my connection might be too crappy to play online in China. Might just take my Dreamcast instead....haven't touched a console for over a year :eek:

The Internet here has been generally terrible. Adding to that is the fact that I need to work through a VPN to protect client confidentiality, etc., so that slows things down even more.

I travel too much to carry a big console, but I've toyed with the idea of buying a Vita. Maybe a VitaTV would be good, too? Then you could play all those indie games on your TV. Or maybe just hook a laptop up.

Yeah, I should probably give that a go first as I prefer to travel light too. I brought a 360 controller and PC adapter back with me to play around with, but unfortunately the laptop disappeared upon arrival.

That sucks. The unlocked window, right?

I use my Macbook Air occasionally to play games, but it is not great. I just play Marvel Puzzle Quest on my phone now, for the most part, and live vicariously through other GAFfers.

I have a poli sci degree with high grades and no teaching experience. I don't speak a foreign language either. Would I have a good chance teaching English abroad?

and for the record, I'm not ugly, in great shape, and tall. So I won't be shamed?

I don't know. I did an online one that was pretty expensive, but it was before I knew anything about the cheaper options. I think 120 hours is the standard certificate that can get you a job.

It's basically just a short training course that teaches how to plan lessons and teach English as a foreign language. But lot of schools will have their own curriculums and some will even give you really detailed lesson plans.

Just google around for reviews of good TEFL courses or maybe someone in this thread can recommend a good cheap one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom