• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Face-Off: Strider (PS3/PS4/X360/XB1/PC)

Resolution

PS3/360 = 720p @ 30 fps
XB1/PS4 = 1080p @ 60 fps

Texture filtering absent on PS4 (glitch maybe?)

Effects, models, and textures are identical throughout the run of play with just one surprising exception: texture filtering. It's not clear why but the anisotropic texture filtering employed on Xbox One is completely absent on PS4, producing a difference that once seen cannot be unseen - a distinct blurring of detail on angled textures that severely reduces detail in places. The nature of the camera work produces a lot of steep angles along surfaces that tends to highlight the issue.

Example:
Bf83Qjl.png

cf405FR.png

Digital Foundry mentions that this isn't an issue on PS3/360, suggesting this is a bug for sure.
As expected, resolution is dropped to 1280x720 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, while frame-rate is halved to 30fps. Oddly enough, the texture filtering issue present on PS4 isn't a problem here: floor textures enjoy additional clarity on both PS3 and 360, suggesting that we're looking at a bug on PlayStation 4.
PS3/360 are on-par with minor graphics difference and resolution/fps
For the most part, assets appear to be on par with the next-gen versions with only shadow resolution and particle density taking any significant hit.

Frame-rate on PS4/XB1
Performance wise, the next-gen versions targets 60fps and manages to stay there 99.9 per cent of the time.

Frame-rate on PS3/360
Things are less ideal on last generation platforms, however, with a base frame-rate of 30fps further marred by performance dips while moving through larger areas. The Xbox 360 manages to hold its 30fps update consistently but slowdown and tearing rear their ugly head relatively frequently on PS3. While the game is certainly playable, it never feels quite right on these systems as a result of the slow update. Of course, Strider 2 itself was actually 30fps, but that doesn't mean it was the right choice at the time either.

Conclusion
When it comes to selecting which version of Strider to play, we have to recommend sticking to the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, or PC versions of the game. While the game was competently ported to Xbox 360 and PS3, the lower frame-rate does hurt playability somewhat. Between the other three platforms it's safe to say that all three are excellent performers that never drop a frame during gameplay. For owners of all three platforms it's worth keeping in mind the strange texture filtering issue on PS4, which does reduce image quality just a touch from the XO and PC versions of the game. In the end, though, any of these three versions of the game provides a polished, highly enjoyable experience.

Full article

pa22word

Interestingly, the PC version of the game is designed to operate at exactly 60fps. Game speed is tied directly to frame-rate with any drops below producing proportionally slow gameplay results. Running Strider on a less powerful machine using integrated graphics, we were able to create instances where the game was running at 50 per cent speed - something worth considering for laptops users. Resolution adjustments should enable full speed on a wide range of machines, but maintaining 60fps is critical with this game: one might almost consider it a particularly retro touch as this type of design reigned supreme during the 16-bit era.

Well that's just fucking weird o_O

edit: might as well mention I'm rocking the game @ 4k on my 780 with zero fps drops thus far.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Not the type of game were you would expect anything other than parity between XB1 and PS4. The PS4 glitch will be patched I assume.

Wouldn't mind a demo of this to see how it plays.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Haha, it's snowing in hell: the XBO has the definitive edition of a game. ;-P

kudoboi

Interestingly, the PC version of the game is designed to operate at exactly 60fps. Game speed is tied directly to frame-rate with any drops below producing proportionally slow gameplay results. Running Strider on a less powerful machine using integrated graphics, we were able to create instances where the game was running at 50 per cent speed

not this again.

Akauser

Banned
Not the type of game were you would expect anything other than parity between XB1 and PS4. The PS4 glitch will be patched I assume.

Ps4 had a demo (EU) tried it to was okay I thought just too fast for me didnt enjoy the pacing.

They'll probably patch that into the PS4 version. Reminds of when motion blur wasn't appearing in Uncharted 3 because of a bug and they had to patch it.

pa22word

Is the sharpening filter still there for the Xbox One captures because it looks post-processed

Both the console versions utilize FXAA, so it's going to be post-processed regardless. On PC you can brute force crazy amounts of OGSSAA even on modestish hardware to get around it, though.

Is it just the floor, I'm on mobile can't see much.

Yeah that's what I was commenting on, but the pic is pretty low res anyways, so who knows. AF is usually distance based anyways so I doubt there's going to be much effecting him anyways. XBone looks to be running slightly less AF than the PCv though too.

The difference is staggering though. Xbone looks like 8xish AF, PC 16x, while PS4 is on trilinear o_x

edit: though the xbone might be at 16x too but the super sampling is screwing up what I'm seeing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

There's no demo? There's a demo on the JP PSN store.

Yay, so when I bought it for the Bone due to having gotten far in it when it was free thanks to that glitch, I actually got the best version!

Feindflug

Surprised that the game is 720p at the 360, the game looked like sub-HD to me, nice to hear that the frame-rate is decent though.

SparkTR

Yeah it looks like it just removes details on some textures.

All the textures potentially, it just depends on the angle of the camera. It's pretty much this:

filtering.jpg

Almost every last gen console game (and quite a few current gen ones so far) suffered from it. I guess people got used to it, but after forcing x16AF on all my PC games a lack of texture filtering became my biggest visual issue with console games, even over frame-rate and anti-aliasing. I hope they sort it out ASAP.

LiK

All the textures potentially, it just depends on the angle of the camera. It's pretty much this:

filtering.jpg

Almost every last gen console game (and quite a few current gen ones so far) suffered from it. I guess people got used to it, but after forcing x16AF on all my PC games a lack of texture filtering became my biggest visual issue with console games, even over frame-rate and anti-aliasing. I hope they sort it out ASAP.

what gfx card do you use?

Loudninja

filtering.jpg

Oh yeah I notice this stuff before guess I am learning new stuff now :)

Thanks.

pa22word

filtering.jpg

Yeah, this. Going back and forth between PC and console for the random console exclusive late last gen was really staggering due to the insane amount of detail you lost.

SparkTR

what gfx card do you use?

I use of 560Ti. There is literally a miniscule 0-1% frame-rate drop when I enable x16AF, so developers shouldn't have an excuse not to use it anymore with more powerful consoles and updated architecture now.

Kysen

Its funny because while I was playing this on next gen I thought to myself that this could easily have run on last gen. I guess I was wrong, 30fps for a side-scroller lol.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Yeah, this. Going back and forth between PC and console for the random console exclusive late last gen was really staggering due to the insane amount of detail you lost.

Do you notice this stuff when playing on couch though? Genuinely asking, I play pc games inches from my face and console games 5 or 6 feet away.

Foshy

I kinda noticed it when I played it on PS4 but thought it was part of the artstyle, huh.

Hope it gets fixed soon.

omonimo

Banned
Its funny because while I was playing this on next gen I thought to myself that this could easily have run on last gen. I guess I was wrong, 30fps for a side-scroller lol.
I think you are not wrong. Not surw what has of sophisticated to run that bad on ps3 .

pa22word

Do you notice this stuff when playing on couch though? Genuinely asking, I play pc games inches from my face and console games 5 or 6 feet away.

1080p60fps 16xAF 4xMSAA with DX11 goodstuffs (at the min >.>) vs sub720p "cenematic" framerates no af and FXAA

Yeah, I noticed. It was literally a generation gap between 08-13 PC hardware and 7th gen consoles.

edit: I know I may be coming off as console warrior-ish, but I'm really not meaning to be. The last few console games I played from the last gen was Far Cry 3 (got it as a gift for my little bro) and The Last of Us, and both those titles suffered from awful IQ and performance issues (particularly FC3...yuck) that were/would have been eradicated on a/the PC release.

leng jai

Pretty shocked at how bad the last gen versions run. I'd almost expect it to be 1080p 60fps on them too given how it looks.

Mechazawa

Didn't think we would need a face off for this type of game. This could run on high end tablets no?

They pointed out a small bug a lot of people probably missed on the PS4, showed us what sacrifices the last gen versions had to make and informed us of how the PC version has some weird, old-school 60fps-ride-or-die-slow-down.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
1080p60fps 16xAF 4xMSAA with DX11 goodstuffs (at the min >.>) vs sub720p "cenematic" framerates no af and FXAA

Yeah, I noticed. It was literally a generation gap between 08-13 PC hardware and 7th gen consoles.

edit: I know I may be coming off as console warrior-ish, but I'm really not meaning to be. The last few console games I played from the last gen was Far Cry 3 (got it as a gift for my little bro) and The Last of Us, and both those titles suffered from awful IQ and performance issues (particularly FC3...yuck) that were/would have been eradicated on a/the PC release.

Far Cry 3 and the Witcher 2 looked terrible to me on the 360. Like they were a step to far. Not tried them on my new gaming laptop to compare though.

Top Bottom