• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One May Preview Update - Sound Mixer! Volume Control! Speech Recognition! Oh My!

The Flash

Banned
Nothing spectacular this month guys

http://majornelson.com/2014/05/02/coming-soon-new-audio-controls-and-opt-in-setting-to-help-improve-voice-recognition/

As part of our ongoing effort to bring new features to our Xbox fans worldwide, we’ll begin rolling out more features to folks in our early access program beginning this week and we’re looking forward to their feedback before shipping the system update to all Xbox One owners in May. We hope you’ve been enjoying our most recent Xbox One system update that rolled out last week and we look forward to bringing you even more great features in the months ahead.

Feature highlights for this next phase of our early access program include a new sound mixer for snapped apps, chat volume controls when using Kinect and the option to help us improve speech recognition. You can also take this update on demand as soon as it becomes available if you’d like.

Sound Mixer for Apps with Snap and Volume Controls When Using Kinect with Chat
We’ve received great feedback from fans asking for more control over audio levels and background sound. As a result, under Settings we’ve added two new features for controlling your audio options. With the new Sound mixer, you’ll be able to control the volume levels of two apps when you’re using Snap letting you decide which app is louder. In this same section, you’ll also be able to control the volume levels when you’re using Kinect for chat.

zawD4SG.jpg

Opt-In to Help Improve Speech Recognition
Being able to control your Xbox One with voice commands can be a magical moment and we want to continue making this great for all Xbox One owners worldwide. The more voice samples we have to input into our algorithms, the better and more responsive Xbox One can be to our fans. If you want to help us in our efforts to make voice and speech improvements for Kinect even better, you can opt-in to a speech data collection. Under Settings, then Privacy & Online Safety, go to Customizing privacy and online safety and set Share Voice Data to Allow. This is completely optional and all voice data shared via this setting will be used for product improvement only.

Take the Next System Update When You Want
You’ll now also be able to take this next system update as soon as it’s available if you want. When this update is made available, you’ll find the option under Settings, then select System update as shown below.

RqojaGS.jpg

As always, we’re thrilled with our fans’ enthusiasm about our Xbox One system updates and we’re really excited about what’s coming in the next few months. We look forward to hearing your feedback about these latest features in our early access program and will roll them out to everyone worldwide in May.

And before it becomes a problem, let's get this one thing out of the way. This thread is for the discussion of an update that is coming to the Xbox One. It is not a thread where we try to one up another console because it does or does not have this or that feature or functionality. If you have the unbearable urge to point out a reason why your system of choice is superior because it can do this, that, and the other and another system can't; then please, do so in another thread.

Special thanks to TeRey09

R3TRODYCE

Kind of weak but the chat mixer will get use when I'm snapping tv and playing Madden so I won't complain.

sangreal

My guess is they're probably saving the bigger stuff for June. I hope to see external HDD support in that update.

Wouldn't shock me if they announced it during e3 (even though external hdd support was announced last year)

There is always the possibility of a mid-month feature addition again too

Sweet sound mixer should come in handy when snapping tv or netflix

yeah, the sound mixer is a cool update it just has lost its luster as a headlining feature since it was also announced last month

Muzy72

Banned
When are they gonna fix the issue of my headset not working until I sign in again through the "I wasn't recognized" option??

Anion

Sound mixer is good.
But, I just want to manage my X1 headset gameplay vs voice audio via the settings or something. I really hate how it is so complicated :(

I hope major sees this

rob305

yeah, the sound mixer is a cool update it just has lost its luster as a headlining feature since it was also announced last month

Yeah they cant keep adding kick ass features on a monthly basis. Im sure that they have something up their sleeves at e3 like external support and more

mike4001_

Yeah i bet the new "big" feature was just not ready so they chose to give us a small update in May instead giving us of nothing.

But the good part on the other hand is, that they are always fixing lots of smaller bugs which are not specially mentioned => so we can at least look forward to some fixed bugs :)

Are people in the preview program only randomly selected, or is there a method to get in via signing up? I took part in many of the 360 dash betas and would like to get in on the XB1 previews as well but havent been invited thus far.

EBE

i wish you could just have audio playing in the background without needing it to be snapped. thats the update i want.

and HDD, of course.

speech recognition opt in is also cool. will definitely turn that one on.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Background music and external HDD, please make it happen in June.
Thanks MS :)

Handy Fake

"... you can opt-in to a speech data collection. Under Settings, then Privacy & Online Safety, go to Customizing privacy and online safety and set Share Voice Data to Allow. This is completely optional and all voice data shared via this setting will be used for product improvement only."

This makes me instantly wary. :/

"... you can opt-in to a speech data collection. Under Settings, then Privacy & Online Safety, go to Customizing privacy and online safety and set Share Voice Data to Allow. This is completely optional and all voice data shared via this setting will be used for product improvement only."

Don't opt in

ValeYard

Cool that the updates keep coming. I'm always hoping for better language options in Europe, i.e., any options.

MauroNL

Opt-In to Help Improve Speech Recognition
Being able to control your Xbox One with voice commands can be a magical moment and we want to continue making this great for all Xbox One owners worldwide. The more voice samples we have to input into our algorithms, the better and more responsive Xbox One can be to our fans. If you want to help us in our efforts to make voice and speech improvements for Kinect even better, you can opt-in to a speech data collection. Under Settings, then Privacy & Online Safety, go to Customizing privacy and online safety and set Share Voice Data to Allow. This is completely optional and all voice data shared via this setting will be used for product improvement only.
So this means Microsoft can hear everything I say or do when I'm on my Xbox One when I enable this or am I reading this wrong?

Caayn

Is it me or does the update button already exist? Why announce it as something new? Also there's a new button between "update controller" and "System update" called "clear local saved games" that's not talked about in Major's blog.

Opt-in only ;)

Handy Fake

Don't opt in

Why would they put this in though, surely they can hear everything said anyway? And if it's just to improve their voice recognition software, why put it in at all? Smells like an advertising kick to me.

The term "product improvement" is quite a wide-reaching term.

Bsigg12

So this means Microsoft can hear everything I say or do when I'm on my Xbox One when I enable this or am I reading this wrong?

Don't opt in if you're paranoid about it. The only way voice recognition gets better is when they have tons of data from different regions for dialects and accents. The more participants the better.

It's a slippery slope man. 3 updates from now it could be choose to opt out instead of asking to opt in. Or it's on by default and you gotta go and turn it off.

You gotta real careful with this stuff.
It's really not a slippery slope. So many voice recognition services have that.

Why would they put this in though, surely they can hear everything said anyway? And if it's just to improve their voice recognition software, why put it in at all? Smells like an advertising kick to me.

The term "product improvement" is quite a wide-reaching term.
Surely not. There is this thing called privacy. They need your permission.

Data helps them improve their algorithms. This type of opt in thing is nothing new.
Don't see how it is an advertisement kick at all, but whatever lol

Caayn

Not legally, and with this opt-in they'll be able to listen to commands only.

MauroNL

no. only the commands. how did you make that jump?
Guess I read it wrong, thought they were looking for new commands to add so I thought maybe they'd listen in on everything. I really need to get some sleep cause I'm not reading or thinking straight

Handy Fake

Not legally, and with this opt-in they'll be able to listen to commands only.

Hmmmm. Colour me dubious hehe.

Like I say, it would have been a lot easier to say that it was just for that, rather than using the very vague term "product improvement". That term smacks of "we'll listen to what you say and sell you advertising accordingly".

Don't let the tin foil hat fool you, I'm serious. ;)

Bsigg12

Hmmmm. Colour me dubious hehe.

Like I say, it would have been a lot easier to say that it was just for that, rather than using the very vague term "product improvement". That term smacks of "we'll listen to what you say and sell you advertising accordingly".

Don't let the tin foil hat fool you, I'm serious. ;)

Serious question, do you own an Xbox One?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Guess I read it wrong, thought they were looking for new commands to add so I thought maybe they'd listen in on everything. I really need to get some sleep cause I'm not reading or thinking straight

Well, I mean as soon as you use the trigger "XBox" it's listening to everything you say and trying to find key commands. So between saying "XBox" and saying "Stop Listening" or when it stops itself, I would think everything you're saying in between could get uploaded.

EBE

Well, I mean as soon as you use the trigger "XBox" it's listening to everything you say and trying to find key commands. So between saying "XBox" and saying "Stop Listening" or when it stops itself, I would think everything you're saying in between could get uploaded.

but are you really going to be saying "mcdonalds" or "mountain dew" in between then?

Handy Fake

Serious question, do you own an Xbox One?

My wee cousin does. Considering getting one down the line.
This isn't a troll, God's honest, before you begin to think that. :D

I had a look about online and couldn't the T&C's that this ""Share Voice Data to Allow"" thing would cover. I'm genuinely curious as to what enabling this would allow, legally.

Top Bottom